It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Black Zone: How the Progressive Movement Created the Modern Ghetto

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   
history doesn't favor Wilson or the Progressives in any capacity.

I'll just leave this here for your perusal:

en.wikipedia.org... Wilson had this film screened at the white house in 1915.
He was responsible for segregating the Army. He was an early eugenicist, and he was among the first presidents to use propaganda in America against Americans. Much of which was done at lower levels expressing fear of the Negro threat.

Progressives are eugenicist scum. They are the cancer that infects
our political parties, our social institutions, and seek to undermine the
constitution.

Did the Hillary video offend you?

Well here's a couple of right wing progressive for your consideration

Teddy Roosevelt being the first. Two big ones of today being John McCain and G W Bush.

While my view of this may be biased. The facts are not.

edit on 7-11-2010 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Janky Red
Very skillful US versus them thread Pro!!!

Clearly this use of local governance is against the constitution and solely born of racist considerations.

I am sure you would like a hog rendering plant erected next to your home and in the slight chance you would not, I would suggest you are a racist for harboring such opinions.

On another note this narrative is fairly ridiculous

OP please account for the historical fact that ethnic groups, races and specific nationalities have been coalescing in neighborhoods, by group, long before the invention of progressivism???

I think it is not wise to constantly villify and presume the worst to progress your political agenda, black and white
age old propagation - hooray!!!

Janky. Argue with history. These policies created the ghettos we see today.
Yes ethnic groups band together, but segregation, racist zoning policies
violence, and the heavy hand of government under the progressive watch
has kept them dependent, poor, and with lack of opportunity.

Part of what you're not getting is that many of these "social justice" progressives saw black people and other minorities in the same light as having a meat processing plant next door. So you know what they did? The started zoning the meat processing plants closer to the poor slums full of black people.

This sentiment is echoed by the quote from Mayor Mahool in 1910. "Blacks should be quarantined in isolated slums in order to reduce the incidents of civil disturbance, to prevent the spread of communicable disease into the nearby White neighborhoods, and to protect property values among the White majority."

Today, the same tactics are used but for votes. These votes create a vested interest in making promises to better the communities they helped create while actually creating the opposite.

Hundreds of liquor stores in the getto. No Whole Foods.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
"The progressive era and race" by David Southern is a very good book on the history of racism and the Progressive philosophy. Today they believe that anyone not like them is mentally deficient, unsophisticated, or just plain dumb. They fail to realize the separation of perception between people. It went from a more visible form of condescension like overt racism, to a more arcane and subtle form of condescending discrimination - Thought.

That's why Obama thinks that the reason America voted the way it did is because the people just don't understand his grand plan for the nation. He doesn't stop to think that we have rejected his agenda because we DO understand it. The Progressive Era did a lot of damage to this country extending beyond just the racial divide. Damage that for many reasons we have failed to clean up.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Here is some indication of what the Progressives are not telling us.
First we have the corelation between CO2 emissions and crime.
Anyone who has seen the freak out scene in the movie Apollo 13 knows what this is about.
Second we have the emerging new metric for measuring CO2.
The reversal is obvious, all the blame is placed on rural and agricultural communities.
And finally the US poverty map from 2000. Almost all Rural.

Conclusions: The Progressives plan for carbon emissions tax will fall entirely on the rural poor,
growing food inside a city will be a major crime, and propaganda will have to be used to ensure the murder rate reflects this. My prediction is that starving city dwellers will be encouraged to raid the country so all fatalities will be found there.

David Grouchy

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3e8e8ba762f9.png[/atsimg]

The old CO2 emission map for Chicago.
I have cut out the new map for later.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c4630914564e.png[/atsimg]

Murders in Chicago.
The blue dots represent multiple homicides.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f82af77568fb.png[/atsimg]

CO2 emission map for Chicago.
The old metric vs. the new maths.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/28969a12314e.png[/atsimg]

The poverty map for the US.
Notice the dominance of rural areas.
From what I understand there is a lot more red on the map now.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn

Very skillful US versus them thread Pro!!!

Clearly this use of local governance is against the constitution and solely born of racist considerations.

I am sure you would like a hog rendering plant erected next to your home and in the slight chance you would not, I would suggest you are a racist for harboring such opinions.

On another note this narrative is fairly ridiculous

OP please account for the historical fact that ethnic groups, races and specific nationalities have been coalescing in neighborhoods, by group, long before the invention of progressivism???

I think it is not wise to constantly villify and presume the worst to progress your political agenda, black and white
age old propagation - hooray!!!

Janky. Argue with history. These policies created the ghettos we see today.
Yes ethnic groups band together, but segregation, racist zoning policies
violence, and the heavy hand of government under the progressive watch
has kept them dependent, poor, and with lack of opportunity.

Part of what you're not getting is that many of these "social justice" progressives saw black people and other minorities in the same light as having a meat processing plant next door. So you know what they did? The started zoning the meat processing plants closer to the poor slums full of black people.

This sentiment is echoed by the quote from Mayor Mahool in 1910. "Blacks should be quarantined in isolated slums in order to reduce the incidents of civil disturbance, to prevent the spread of communicable disease into the nearby White neighborhoods, and to protect property values among the White majority."

Today, the same tactics are used but for votes. These votes create a vested interest in making promises to better the communities they helped create while actually creating the opposite.

Hundreds of liquor stores in the getto. No Whole Foods.

you know Pro - it seems clear that you are trying to assign a hundred year old mentality to modern political liberalism and I think this is a politically expediant, but I believe it is devoid of any understanding on your part.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

Wow this is a well put together thread my friend! Learned some things I did not know. I'll have to come back and read through some of the other posts.

P.S. - You are correct in saying it is still happening, take chicago for instance. Both times, before the city knocked down the Cabrini Green and Robert Taylor project buildings, they gurenteed housing for the former residents and planned to relocate them into single family townhouses located in a white neighborhood. Both times, they failed (or went back on their word) and it resulted in the other impoverished areas of the city being flooded with new residents. Ultimately the homeless rate and crime rate shot up. Now there are literally area's that resemble the movie "city of god", with residents packed into block after block after block... of run down houses. Its not uncommon to have 2 or 3 families living in one 3 bedroom run down house.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Projecttvxn,
I enjoyed the OP and could not agree more. This is a subject I have been trying to get attention brought to for a long time. S&F.
Maybe you would like to read a couple of threads of mine?
www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Janky Red

Indeed. That mentality is still there.

Only now it is about marginalizing other groups. Rich people, conservative white people. They've made themselves the friend of the poor ethnic enclaves they've helped create. Here's a clear example of this crap:

Here's the recent blog post he made that made it to national headlines: An Open Letter to the White Right, On the Occasion of Your Recent, Successful Temper Tantrum

I know, you think you’ve taken “your country back” with this election — and of course you have always thought it was yours for the taking, cuz that’s what we white folks are bred to believe, that it’s ours, and how dare anyone else say otherwise — but you are wrong.
You have won a small battle in a larger war the meaning of which you do not remotely understand.
‘Cuz there is nothing even slightly original about you.
There have always been those who wanted to take the country back.
There were those who, in past years, wanted to take the country back to a time of enslavement and indentured servitude.
But they lost.
There were those who wanted to take us back to a time when children could be made to work in mines and factories, when workers had no legal rights to speak of, when the skies in every major city were heavy with industrial soot that would gather on sidewalks and windowsills like volcanic ash.
But they lost.
There were those who wanted to take us back to a time when women could not vote, or attend any but a few colleges, or get loans in their own names, or start their own businesses.
But they lost.

In this article he is referring to the Tea Parties. The very same people who put Allen West in office, a black man in a district that is over 90% white and upper-middle class.

It is this kind of divisive crap that the Progressives give the most voice to. It is imperative to their agenda. And that agenda is to create the idea that conservative or traditionalist white people, by and large, are responsible for all of the ills-and that they(Minorities) are not responsible for their own lives, that their own prosperity depends on how much can be taken from another. They NEED the ghetto to stay the ghetto, they NEED the compassion of regular people and the guilt of white people to stay in power. They need us to be divided so that they may conquer.

Much of what this man talks about is a direct effect of Progressive ideas that are with us to this day. His problem is that he's too stupid to have read the history of the policies that lead to what we are witnessing today.

NOT ONCE in this thread did I use the term Liberal. Not once.

I know a lot of Liberals. And I love all of them. Most of them don't want to ditch the Constitution, and most of them don't believe Progressive BS of social engineering and eugenics.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Quadrivium

Both of those threads are a clear example of what I'm trying to get across.

Thanks for posting it.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Excuse me if this was covered along the way. How is it that zoning ordances started in LA, and Baltimore passed the first raced based zoning laws, yet you say that the racist laws originated in the south?

Baltimore is not a southern city and Maryland is not a southern state. I'm not going to derail the thread. I think there is a lot of good information here. I just want to know why the south is blamed for something a northern state did.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeNice81

Industrial zoning began in LA. And by 1910 zoning laws had spread very fast throughout the country. The practice of racial zoning was immediately recognized by Progressive groups around the country and many of them, those in office anyway, began to implement racial zoning laws. It took hold first in the south, but quickly spread throughout the United States and by 1917 most US cities had some form of racial zoning.

It's not convoluted at all.

Here's what Yale Rabin writes...Again

Rabin writes "While northern Progressives were enacting zoning as a mechanism for protecting and enhancing property values," - "southern Progressives were testing its effectiveness as a means of enforcing racial segregation."

It wasn't long, as I said, before the Northern cities started to impose much of the same systems that the south was imposing on black people. Remember the quote by Mahool. This was the prevalent school of thought among progressives at the time North and South. So it was no stretch to see both regions instituting racist zoning policies. This all happened in the course of thirty five years or so.

Baltimore, Maryland is a city in a state caught between the South and the North. And while they were the first city to create overt racial zoning ordinances, It wasn't as wide spread in the North at the time of the policy implementation as it would have been in the South...But it didn't take very long to catch on. The Southern cities took note of what had happened in Baltimore, and followed suit, but industrial zoning was already being used in the south, it wasn't until Baltimore's Mayor Mahool began to use zoning for segregation purposes that the south began it's zoning policy, and within a couple of years the rest of the country began to look into this as well.

I hope that clears this up.

edit on 9-11-2010 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   

[

you know Pro - it seems clear that you are trying to assign a hundred year old mentality to modern political liberalism and I think this is a politically expediant, but I believe it is devoid of any understanding on your part.

Actually I think the biggest void of understanding here is the fact that what we call today "Modern Liberalism" is called Liberalism whatsoever considering Liberalism "is the belief in the importance of individual liberty and equal rights" yet today what we call Liberals want to take away rights and individual liberty but that is neither here nor there in this thread.

What I think is also a much larger void, but not as large, in understanding here is the fact that you can't seem to gather that the progressive movement in this country has been following the same path for the past century and that this ideology can't be held responsible for what they did a century ago, especially considering what they have done has made the country what it is today; a dying empire.

And there is no us vs they mentality in this thread; progressivism is more of an "it" leeching itself onto the side of the country slowly taking control of body parts, that currently being "Modern Liberalism".

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I kind of get it a little better.

Baltimore was the first to overtly make the move. However, the North and South were both involved in it covertly. In the south it tended to be informal but well enforced. In the north it was less of a problem untill Baltimore made it overt and codefied it.

Is that the basic point or am I just being thick today?

I would argue that there was little or no difference between southern and northern segregation, at any point. That is a whole other kettle of fish and another thread.

According to Davison M. Douglas author of the book Jim Crow Moves North: The Battle Over Northern School Segregation, 1865-1954."

In the course of doing research for that book [a previous book he wrote about the role of Charlotte NC in desegregation of the south - Mike] in the archives of the NAACP, I discovered a number of legal disputes in northern states during the first half of the 20th century involving school segregation. I had known that many northern communities had operated racially separate schools, but I had always assumed that such segregation was due to residential segregation. What I noticed in the NAACP archives, though, was that many northern towns segregated schoolchildren in a manner similar to southern towns, by establishing a white school for all of the town’s white children and a “colored” school for all of the town’s black children. Or by operating a single school with racially separate classrooms, racially separate playgrounds, and even racially separate American flags. The more I researched, the more examples I found of this kind of explicit segregation in the North.

I firmly believe that a true look at any subject of racial discrimination, whether based on zoning laws or other wise, would show that things north of Virginia were no better than conditions south of Virginia.

I believe that segregation and civil rights in America has become much like the Crusades of the middle ages. They have become highly romanticized, and emotionaly charged.The truth is hidden because we want to create heroes and villians. We have been programmed to see the events as great epics instead of as historical events that can teach us about human nature and healing.

Sorry I am derailing the topic.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   

You got it.

It's a good question to ask. After having re-read the op I can see where it may have caused confusion.

The Progressive Era-and in turn Progressives, have a nation wide and long history of segregation, racism, and oppression.

My favorite Progressive example is Woodrow Wilson. I started looking into him when I was 14 years old, but quite honestly the term Progressive didn't have any meaning to me then. Today I know what that term means and why it is important. And you know whats funny? Some black leaders at the time SUPPORTED the progressive social justice movement because many of these progressives gave lip service to the Black communities. The propaganda was so good that to this day people think Wilson was trying to desegregate the Armed forces. There's even programs named after him on racial tolerance.

He was involved with the KKK and even screened Birth of a Nation in the White House in 1915. He segregated the Armed Forces in 1913 by assigning rabid segregationists to the Departments of the Navy and Army. He barred anyone darker than paper from working for the Federal government in the same year.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Thank you for posting this OP! I've known for years that
A: Segregation is alive and well.
If you don't believe me, come to the South, visit any large city. While it is true that some whites are where the blacks live, and almost all classes full of students have a token black child or three, we live mostly segregated. In some sections of my city I can go to a certain part of town and not see a black person all day and I can visit another section of town just ten or fifteen miles away and be the one little white dot in a sea of African Americans and Mexicans.
B: The housing commission was part of it all
They are the ones that sell the houses. Why didn't they sell houses to the African Americans that had money that tried to chase after the fleeing whites (and I know there were a good many that did) and why did ALL the houses for sale in certain areas get sold to African Americans? The housing commission.
C: Integration was badly done
Integration should have been a beautiful thing. Instead, in her senior year, my mother had to circumvent the system to keep from being one of ten white students in a class of 300+ students. Schools should have had 50% 50% ratios or close to it. Instead a few black kids were bussed to white schools where they were terrorized and the same happened to white students.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by sisgood

Again from Davison M. Douglas

In fact, there is more racial separation today in northern urban schools than there was a half century ago when the United States Supreme Court declared school segregation unconstitutional.... The result is that America’s schools are steadily becoming more racially homogenous – North and South – particularly in large cities.

Segregation is not a southern problem. It is a problem across the nation at every level. Walk in to any college cafateria across the nation. You will see that most people "stick to their own." I believe the OP has a great point here. There has been a movement through out the greater part of the last 140 years to ensure that people of color and light skin people are kept seperate.

Just look at the push by "progressive" leaders like Al Shharpton for "African American Studies" departments. These departments were embraced whole heartedly by many as the "next step in racial progress in America." Instead of fighting to have African-American authors and female authors given equal time in the literary cannon they embraced seperate, but equal.

The same applies to the zoning laws. It is not uncommon for low wage/high pollution industrys to be zoned in to urban areas. They are routinely placed in low income areas to "provide job growth." Yet at the same time they are zoning "industrial parks" full of computer tech and medical coding jobs around the suburban areas.

Segregation is still a problem in America. Is it a matter of the average person being a racist? I don't believe that it is. I think it is a matter of long running social problems being pushed from the top down. By keeping us seperate they create an instability that allows powerful elites to rule with ease. It also sets up many fiefdoms of power and riches for people that what to exploit the victim mentality.

Zoning was an early harbinger of many things that would come in the decades ahead. It was an early attempt by powerful elites to excercise their own racist belief while sewing discord that made their power more secure.

My rambling $0.02 worth.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   

I was using the South as an example because that is what I know. It's where I've lived all my life, it's the place that I could name names as far as the zoning went on who's fault all this was. Believe it or not, I actually didn't know that there was that big of a problem up north with segregation.
Thanks for the info!

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by sisgood

It really doesn't matter where we find ourselves. I'm in Reno, NV and I see it here. I saw it in Vegas, I saw it in LA. And still see it everywhere I go. Even the most progressive cities have managed to stay whites only, Portland, OR anyone? That didn't happen by accident. It happened by design.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by sisgood

Sorry if it sounded like I was trying to attack. I wasn't. I never realized how big of a problem it was outside of the south untill I started meeting people from NY and NJ. They were amazed to see inter racial couples and groups of mixed races hanging out.

I started doing a little digging and found out a lot. I was just trying to pass on the information.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   

I am sorry to hear that.

My question now is, how the heck did the pin-heads get away with pulling this in the first place? Logic tells us not to let a fox guard the chicken coop but that's what happened. Why were there not whistle blowers? What was WRONG with the previous generation (boomers and older) that they let all this get past them? Did they just stick their heads in the sand?

I've asked my family about it and all I get are innocent looks and shrugs.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join