It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israelis ambushed by Israeli Arab mob on their way to a pub- Just for being in the wrong neighborhoo

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   
www.ynetnews.com...

Three students from the central city of Givatayim and their Australian friend will never forget their nightly drive to Jerusalem's city center. The three, who picked up the young woman from the Hebrew University's Mount Scopus campus, almost paid with their lives after taking a wrong turn.

"There were four of us in the car, and we planned to sit in a quiet pub on Ben-Yehuda Street and talk," the driver, Assaf Ben-Ari, told Ynet on Friday morning. "There were no signs, and since we don't live in the area we didn't know how to turn back. We took a right turn on one of the curves and found ourselves on a one-way road in an unfamiliar area."

Shortly afterwards the four began feeling discomfort, which was soon replaced with real fear.

"After driving for a minute, we saw a 12-year-old boy walking on the side of the road. We explained to him that we lose our way and asked how to get to Ben-Yehuda Street. He said in an Arabic accent that he didn't speak Hebrew and called someone. That's when I began realizing that something was wrong," Assaf recounted.

As he and his friends were waiting, Assaf noticed that all the store signs in the area were in Arabic. "An older person arrived and he and the kid began laughing at us. They told us to continue driving on the same road, while the older one was on the phone and simply sent us into a well-planned ambush."

The group had no choice and continued driving according to the instructions, and found themselves in the heart of the neighborhood of Issawiya. They decided to turn back, but were shocked to discover that the road had been blocked.

"I don't know how they managed, but only two minutes later they set up a barrier which included a barbed-wire fence, chairs, and iron pipes. We were in shock. We suddenly heard an explosion sound in the back, and saw the boy and the adult who we spoke to throwing bricks at us."

The car's rear windowpane was smashed, and young men began coming out of the neighborhood houses and throwing stones at the vehicle. The driver began speeding into the center of Issawiya.

"My friend contacted the police, and after we managed to get away I stopped and contemplated what to do. I had never encountered such a situation of helplessness without any preparation, and with friends and a terrified tourist," Assaf said

Meanwhile, "the entire neighborhood woke up and dozens of young men gathered next to us and waited for us with sticks and stones. I considered escaping from the vehicle or even hiding until the police arrived, but I knew we wouldn't stand a chance if they found us outside the car. Several minutes later we were surrounded, and I realized that I must drive my car into the barrier if I want to get out of here alive."

First the necessary disclaimers (Obviously if this was anti Israeli I could just write the words "Disgusting, Israelis show their true nature" and it would have been enough, but anything pro Israeli has to be balanced and fair.. Right?) -
1) Israel has occupied territories in the West Bank and Jerusalem (mt. Scopus isn't one of them, but still..).
2) There are many examples of Israeli violence against Arabs, mostly military, and mostly on orders. Never lynchings or attempted lynching of this sort and magnitude (Non that I know of..).
3) There is a long history of violence between Arabs and Israelis- This single incident is not the worst event that had ever occurred (on both sides), nor is it any indication to the nature of the conflict or the people in it..
4) This is an isolated event, and while it does happen more often than anyone would like, Israelis can usually go to Arab communities without being lynched.
5) There are a lot of good reasons for the Arab population to be angry with Israel

This mob mentality is, in my opinion, the bane of Arab society. Even the slightest of provocations can get masses of people out to the streets in violent protests with rock throwings and clashes with police and military forces who mostly have nothing to do with what caused the riot in the first place.

Needless to say it only takes one of these to ruin any advancements the Arabs made in Israeli society..

Think of the consequences of just one of these events, which are clearly orchestrated by one bad person, but manage to draw a large enough crowd to make it seem like it reflects on all Arab society!
It makes people stop believing in peace, it makes people think that Arabs are primitive, it promotes hate.
It ruins everything.

People on both sides need to stop starting fires. One tiny flame can burn down the whole forest.

P.S- What do you make of Israeli press? Biased, fair, hate promoting?
edit on 5-11-2010 by Eliad because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
A very fair, even keeled post. A breath of fresh air on what is usually a very Israeli unfriendly website.

Even more surprising is that you, obviously an jew yourself from the Hebrew name on the post, offer both sides of the story. Let the anti-semetic flaming now begin!

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Clearly Israel needs to mark dangerous areas like these with better signs and when such events occur a mass punishment should be applied. No utilities. Random destruction of houses. Death to the perps if found. That kind of thing.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Eliad

Heyy fella. Starred and flagged simply because of the work that you put into, er, revising, this thread

1) Israel has occupied territories in the West Bank and Jerusalem (mt. Scopus isn't one of them, but still..).

Hmmmmm

2) There are many examples of Israeli violence against Arabs, mostly military, and mostly on orders. Never lynchings or attempted lynching of this sort and magnitude (Non that I know of..).

...and even examples of Israeli on Israeli. The following story also includes Israeli on Arab, therefore hitting all the bases:
Its Ha'aretz, sorry bud.

Ha'aretz, Safed man harassed for renting apartment to Bedouin, by Eli Ashkenazi..

Safed was plastered with posters on Tuesday denouncing a long-time resident for renting an apartment to three Bedouin studying at the local college.

The apartment owner, Eli Tzavieli, had decided to go through with the rental despite threats that his home would be torched...

The posters are the latest episode in an ongoing campaign waged by certain Safed residents, led by chief municipal rabbi Shmuel Eliyahu...

...Then, about 10 days ago, three Arab students were physically assaulted, one of whom was shot, though not fatally.

Two Safed residents - one of them an armed border policeman - were subsequently indicted for the attack
www.haaretz.com...
A 90yr old Jewish fella being threatened by an Israeli mob, all because he wants to rent to students?

True, Its not in Jerusalem but you get mah driift. Wait til I get going on the price tag campaign.

5) There are a lot of good reasons for the Arab population to be angry with Israel

Yep, the palestinians of Al-Issawiya have lots of reasons to be pissed. From land grabs and lack of building permits to blocking the wells needed for irrigating their agricultural land..oh wait, the Israeli state already nicked that.

This mob mentality is, in my opinion, the bane of Arab society. Even the slightest of provocations can get masses of people out to the streets in violent protests with rock throwings and clashes with police and military forces who mostly have nothing to do with what caused the riot in the first place.

Not only Palestinian society, Its the symbols of authority they're having a go at. These folk have waited quite a long time for the international community (and Israel) to act and uphold International and even Israeli law.

Think of the consequences of just one of these events, which are clearly orchestrated by one bad person

Non violent resistance - its the future. The Israeli government wearnt too pleased about the threat of a Palestinian general strike/ withdrawal of labour in the West Bank.

It makes people stop believing in peace, it makes people think that Arabs are primitive, it promotes hate.

Just an opinion, but I think the idiotic policies of idiotic leaders from both sides may also have just a little to do with it.
That includes the overly religious.

It ruins everything.

So change the leaders. Or at least the thought processes.

P.S- What do you make of Israeli press? Biased, fair, hate promoting?

Too many pop unders make joe...something...something..

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
This is awful. I can totally relate to the helpless feeling these poor guys got. I was walking home the day after christmas a few years ago when I was assaulted by 3 young men on a dead end street. Knowing that no one is there to help you when you are in such a critical situation is one of the worst feelings ever

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
this is a bold thread.

who cares springs to mind because i feel like you have usurped the middle east issues header for an issue that is too micro for the macro middle east issues header.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Ausar

Pehaps he is simply trying to show that the issues over there are not as black and white as the Israel bashers on here seem to think?

I agree they are at the root of many problems, but it takes two to tango.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I see it like this:
Israeli = Jew
Arab = Muslim

As the conflict escalates national borders will become irrelevant.
People often cite Arabs living in Israel and Jews living in Arabic countries as an example of tolerance.
I guess this piece is suggesting that the tolerance is thinning.

The only way I see peace coming to the region is for the removal of religion from politics, but I don't see that ever happening.
I personally have no time for religion but believe in everyones rights to religious freedom, except when it interferes with others, like in the case of politics. Don't push it on others or make laws around it.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Eliad

Excellant post Elaid! You developed a strong analysis as to why these events happen. We can all wait for the day when the distrust and animosity will subside and these two peoples will be able to raise their families in peace without fear. S&F

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by ntech

That would be fine as long as the punishment applies equally to both sides. That OK with you?

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by ntech

Not sure if you're serious, or just being sarcastic, but what's clear about this incident is that non of this has been done, in spite of another attack today, this time on an Israeli ambulance trying to bring an Arab from a neighboring community to the hospital..

So you're wrong either way.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by joewalker

Thanks for the S&F...
I have the feeling I'm not going to get much more.. If only this was Israelis attacking Arabs.. I would've gotten about a million S&Fs by now

...and even examples of Israeli on Israeli. The following story also includes Israeli on Arab, therefore hitting all the bases:

Horrible! But hardly relevant.. These are two different things entirely. And as I've said, *mostly by soldiers, mostly on orders*, this is the exception.

Its Ha'aretz, sorry bud.

Not a problem..

Two Safed residents - one of them an armed border policeman - were subsequently indicted for the attack

Do you expect anyone to be arrested by the authorities of Issawiya?

A 90yr old Jewish fella being threatened by an Israeli mob

Where does it say he was threatened by a mob? What, these two guys who were arrested, and how many more? These were obviously very extreme people, but what makes you think there's more than 5 of them that would go as far as threatening and assaulting? Being racist is one thing, acting on it is another.
They weren't assaulted by a mob, and he wasn't threatened by a mob.. At least it doesn't say so in any way.

Wait til I get going on the price tag campaign.

Might as well give the price tag thingy a try.. See if that matches up with an entire town blockading one car that got lost in it and palleting it with rocks and pipes, and attempting to do who knows what else.. Seeing as how what happened in Safed doesn't even come close..

These folk have waited quite a long time for the international community (and Israel) to act and uphold International and even Israeli law.

Oh, yes, and this totally helps their cause.. If only they could've lynched these people.. That would certainly have made Bibi think twice about not freezing the settlements..

We both know this is only making things worse, and that, as I said, they would be better off without this violent mob mentality.

Non violent resistance - its the future.

It's been around for decades, just not in Palestinian society..

Just an opinion, but I think the idiotic policies of idiotic leaders from both sides may also have just a little to do with it.

I'm not talking about politics, I'm talking about basic human understanding.
This is making them seem like no more than animals.

So change the leaders. Or at least the thought processes.

Again, this mob mentality is not the product of Israeli leaders, but rather Palestinian leaders, and mostly the lack of modernity and independent thinking in Arab society.

Too many pop unders make joe...something...something..

lol sorry, I don't get any pop unders..

So it begins :O ... Again..

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Ausar

Hehe, you clearly have not seen enough Middle East topics..

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by OllyP

Or removal of religion from anything, for that matter, would be just fine..

But, you know, if I could quote/paraphrase Jon Stewart for a sec- Guns (or bricks and pipes for that matter) don't kill people, crazy does.
Same thing applies to religion..

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by gem_man

Thank you.

This doesn't mean Israel's okay in everything it does.. This is just one incident, one aspect of Arab society..

We can all wait for the day when the distrust and animosity will subside and these two peoples will be able to raise their families in peace without fear.

Amen, brother.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Eliad

Thanks for the S&F... I have the feeling I'm not going to get much more.. If only this was Israelis attacking Arabs.. I would've gotten about a million S&Fs by now

Well, come over to the dark side Luke, er, Eliad..

Why did you bin the original version of this thread? Thought it was fine myself.

Horrible! But hardly relevant.. These are two different things entirely. And as I've said, *mostly by soldiers, mostly on orders*, this is the exception.

Would that be the exception which proves the rule?

Ha'aretz.Israeli deputy mayor sacked for racism against Arabs, By Jack Khoury

Milstein, who headed an independent list in the municipal elections, had objected to Arabs living in Carmiel and tried to prevent Israeli Arabs from renting or buying homes in the city. He also spoke about "preserving Carmiel's Jewish Zionist character."

www.haaretz.com...
Hmm, theres a bit of a trend here.

Do you expect anyone to be arrested by the authorities of Issawiya?

I sure do! Think the Border police and minority department are up to it?

Where does it say he was threatened by a mob?

Did I say the ninety yr old concentration camp survivor had been physically threatened?

JPost, Borderline views: Racism in the name of religion, by David Newman.

IT IS precisely this form of blatant racism which was practiced last week by the chief rabbi of Safed, Shmuel Eliahu, and some of his rabbinical colleagues.

They issued a statement telling residents not to rent or sell apartments to Arabs, especially not to the students who come to Safed to study at the regional college.

Anyone renting an apartment to an Arab should not, in the words of Eliahu, be made welcome in his local synagogue, and should definitely not be called up to the Torah
www.jpost.com...
More then one way to threaten folk.

He has a bit of a rep our rabbi Eliahu

They weren't assaulted by a mob, and he wasn't threatened by a mob.. At least it doesn't say so in any way.

From my link:

..which began when a group of young Jews surrounded the students' apartment, shouting slogans such as "Death to the Arabs" and "Stinking Muslims" and hurling rocks and bottles through the windows. Some of the assailants apparently then climbed through an open window to continue the attack at close range.

I understand why you want to play it down, but it does kinda sound like they were assaulted by a mob. A mob which, according to other press reports, scattered when the shot was fired.
Funny how easy these things turn violent.

See if that matches up with an entire town blockading one car that got lost in it and palleting it with rocks and pipes, and attempting to do who knows what else.. Seeing as how what happened in Safed doesn't even come close..

In whose opinion?

Oh, yes, and this totally helps their cause.. If only they could've lynched these people..

We talking about the inhabitants of Safed or Issawaya?

That would certainly have made Bibi think twice about not freezing the settlements..

Nah, freezing the settlements would upset the ultra religious settlers and Bibi aint brave enough for that. Avi will beat him up

I'm not talking about politics, I'm talking about basic human understanding.
This is making them seem like no more than animals.

Again, this mob mentality is not the product of Israeli leaders

IT IS precisely this form of blatant racism which was practiced last week by the chief rabbi of Safed, Shmuel Eliahu, and some of his rabbinical colleagues

but rather Palestinian leaders, and mostly the lack of modernity and independent thinking in Arab society

You only seeing one side again Eliad? An eye for eye..whole world blind...etc etc, on&on

So it begins :O ... Again..

Meh, it keeps both of us off the streets

edit on 7-11-2010 by joewalker because: attempt at humour

edit on 7-11-2010 by joewalker because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
S+F For showing a side not often seen on ATS. I agree, if this was an anti Israeli article you would have a bijlion flags already.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by joewalker

Why did you bin the original version of this thread? Thought it was fine myself.

Hehe yeah, a mod binned it.. It was a typo, but I wonder what would've happen had the mod not noticed it..

Hmm, theres a bit of a trend here.

He tried, and he was sacked for it.. I'd say that's pretty democratic, don't you think?
And besides, you're focusing on acts of racism, I'm not talking about racism, I'm talking about a whole town (or a large part of it) trapping and trying to lynch a couple of lost young people.. I mean, really, in any standard this is pretty extreme..

I sure do! Think the Border police and minority department are up to it?

No, no, I mean by the authorities of Isawyia itself.. The Israelis care when an Israeli hurts an Arab, and they act accordingly, would the Arabs care in the same way? Would the residents of Issawyia cooperate with the cops and let them know who set this up? Who were the taxi drivers who blocked the road? Who set the whole thing up? Or will they remain silent?

More then one way to threaten folk.

This doesn't prove there was a mob.. Only one asshole.

by the chief rabbi of Safed, Shmuel Eliahu, and some of his rabbinical colleagues

Question is how many take part in these loathsome actions.. Is there any way to tell that it's a mob?

I understand why you want to play it down, but it does kinda sound like they were assaulted by a mob. A mob which, according to other press reports, scattered when the shot was fired. Funny how easy these things turn violent.

It's not funny at all.. Didn't know it was that bad... Still not as bad as the entire town coming out to get you, just because you took the wrong turn... But brutal non the less. As I've said.. This is without a doubt the exception, and was preformed by a bunch of uneducated backwards idiots, who are no different than the Arabs who attacked those kids.. I didn't say it doesn't exist, just that it's the exception.

In whose opinion?

Obviously mine, try convincing me otherwise and I'll try convincing you.. That's why we're having a discussion, no?
The way I see it a few things separate these two incidents- Numbers (it's likely that there were a lot more people in Issawiya trying to lynch those guys), intent (They intentionally trapped them in Issayia, which makes it look like they intended to kill them, while in Safed everyone ran away as soon as the shot was fired, implying that they thought they had gone too far), and the type of people (In Safed it was a bunch of extremist nuts, in Issawyia the whole town took part)..
I'd say the one in Safed is pretty bad, but it's just a threating attempt gone overboard, while in Issawyia it looks like an attempt to lynch them.. If the guys in Safed were trying to do the same thing they would have shot them all dead instead of running..

Issawyia, and the cause is Israeli oppression- Attacking a bunch of Israeli citizens for no reason only worsens Israeli oppression and prejudice.
As for Safed- Trying to scare away Arabs from the town by beating them up, I'd say mission accomplished, sadly..

Nah, freezing the settlements would upset the ultra religious settlers and Bibi aint brave enough for that. Avi will beat him up

Hehe, such a #ed up government..

This time we're talking about both.

IT IS precisely this form of blatant racism which was practiced last week by the chief rabbi of Safed, Shmuel Eliahu, and some of his rabbinical colleagues

Who is this guy? Who gives a flying # about what he says? So he has 20 disciples, big #ing deal, I'm talking about mainstream Israelis, not the extreme of the extreme.
And even if you count his minuscule influence, it still doesn't explain this mob mentality, and the unproportional reaction..

You only seeing one side again Eliad? An eye for eye..whole world blind...etc etc, on&on

Just being honest about it.. Even my Arab friends will tell me that most Arab culture is extremely primitive in many aspects.. Gay people that can't tell their parents.. Girls that have to hide their Jewish boyfriend, or the fact that they're having sex.. And so on...

Meh, it keeps both of us off the streets

LOL yeah..

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I appreciate the neutrality, and I agree that any mob mentality is abhorrent, but at the same time there is reason for why the Arabs are so mad. In this situation it's best to play the neutral card. Both cultures need to work things out.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Eliad

He tried, and he was sacked for it..

Just showing one part of the Israeli mindset. I know that most Israelis understand that Palestinans also live there.

And besides, you're focusing on acts of racism, I'm not talking about racism, I'm talking about a whole town (or a large part of it) trapping and trying to lynch a couple of lost young people

Issawiya
Wiki has the population of Issawiya at around twelve thousand for 2006, so you reckon that, what, eight thousand were out on the streets?

C'mon Eliad, you're better than that.

No, no, I mean by the authorities of Isawyia itself.. The Israelis care when an Israeli hurts an Arab, and they act accordingly, would the Arabs care in the same way? Would the residents of Issawyia cooperate with the cops and let them know who set this up? Who were the taxi drivers who blocked the road? Who set the whole thing up? Or will they remain silent?

I hope they dont; Lets wait and see how any investigation goes, though the border police have an especially bad record and rep in Issawiya.

Question is how many take part in these loathsome actions.. Is there any way to tell that it's a mob?

From Ha'aretz: Two Jewish youths charged with shooting at Arabs during Safed clashes

Some 30 youngsters from Safed attacked several Arab students who live in an apartment in the town's center on Friday night
www.haaretz.com...
Thirty sounds like a mob, though of course, its not the thousands who you claim were lying in wait in Issawiya.

It's not funny at all.. Didn't know it was that bad... Still not as bad as the entire town coming out to get you, just because you took the wrong turn... But brutal non the less. As I've said.. This is without a doubt the exception, and was preformed by a bunch of uneducated backwards idiots, who are no different than the Arabs who attacked those kids.. I didn't say it doesn't exist, just that it's the exception.

Riiiiight, So ALL Arabs(christian, Druze, Muslim etc) are uneducated, backwards idiots but only SOME Israelis. Peace just gets further and further away..................

The way I see it a few things separate these two incidents- Numbers (it's likely that there were a lot more people in Issawiya trying to lynch those guys), intent (They intentionally trapped them in Issayia, which makes it look like they intended to kill them

And yet, the occupants of the car managed to ID the young kid and old guy among the Twelve thousand...
Personally I see no difference between the two incidents. Both were aimed at people just going about thier daily lives.

while in Safed everyone ran away as soon as the shot was fired, implying that they thought they had gone too far), and the type of people (In Safed it was a bunch of extremist nuts, in Issawyia the whole town took part)..

Cool, how do you know twelve thousand people took part?

You were wondering earlier about the Palestinians relationship with the border police.
From the link above:

According to the indictment, Elmakis handed his rifle to Rubeinstein at this point. Rubeinstein allegedly cocked the weapon and fired a single shot.

Elmakis is a border policeman from Safed. Do you think he was carrying his weapon to impress the girls they were meeting? Real professional, ay. Id def trust them to be fair and impartial.

Issawyia, and the cause is Israeli oppression- Attacking a bunch of Israeli citizens for no reason only worsens Israeli oppression and prejudice.

I agree with ya and hope the more responsible folk of Issawiya sort it out.

As for Safed- Trying to scare away Arabs from the town by beating them up, I'd say mission accomplished, sadly..

I agree with ya and hope the more responsible folk of Safed sort it out.

Just being honest about it.. Even my Arab friends will tell me that most Arab culture is extremely primitive in many aspects.. Gay people that can't tell their parents.. Girls that have to hide their Jewish boyfriend, or the fact that they're having sex.. And so on...

Are you trying to suggest those views are only prevalent within 'Arab' communities in Israel?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join