It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your opinion needed -- What is the greatest hoax ever??

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Santa Claus
Although I`ve heard he was real at one time giving out fruit to the boys and girls but not on a large scale like told to believe in my younger days giving out toys..

I miss believing that one.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by youdidntseeme

Crop circles.

Also...how about the Bob Lazar story? He had made some bold claims. There are still a few who believe that story is real, but I am pretty sure it's been debunked by many. I'm making my lunch right now, and I'm too lazy to research and post links and stuff...

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Hi hoax non-fans. . . B-)

To me, here are the 2 most costly hoaxes, in DOLLAR$ and in human LIVE$ ! ! :

We demonstrate a hoax, using another hoax:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

EDIT, to add the 2 hoaxes, in easy to comment titles:
1 = **Iraq incubators** hoax.
2 = **9/11 made by exterior terrorists** hoax.

Blue skies.

edit on 2010/11/4 by C-JEAN because: Ease of comments.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Santa Claus....thats pretty good, and we are all guilty of that one, makes me feel bad about asking my son what he wants Santa to bring him this year.

CRop circles and LAzar are both pretty good. There are many circles that have been admitted hoaxes, although some are probably still up for debate, I love looking at them still.

Lazar is another story altogether. He himself has never come out and claimed hoax, but there alot of doubters even in the UFO/Area 51 community. I think even stanton Friedman himself has cast doubt on poor old Bob. Definetly an interesting story though.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   

The Federal Reserve System.
BIGGEST HOAX EVER!
www.youtube.com...

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
This one always comes to mind as well.
Ray Santilli's Alien Autopsy

I remember watching it hosted by Jonathon Frakes back in the 90's as a teenager. I suspected it was a hoax at the time, but wanted it to be real. Santilli finally admitted it was not enirely true about 5 years ago, claiming it was a reproduction of a film that he watched but was not able to obtain.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by pinealexplorer

I think, more specifically, that the Federal Reserve is the greatest hoax. It seems to be -behind the facade of the word "Federal," the fancy looking money with government buildings and famous people on it, the official looking buildings in big cities, and the apparent omniscience of its rulers- the most thorough hoax in modern history. Most Americans would not be able to tell you who the Fed chairman is or that they are a collection of private banks or even that every little cent that's minted carries a little bit of interest that is IMPOSSIBLE to pay off (even selling the American people into slavery through the Social Security Act). This hoax still trips me up to this day, I still have intrinsically worthless Federal Reserve Notes in my pocket.
The only thing that could rock my world more is if my parents unzipped their skin suits to reveal that they are mole people. (Normally, I would have said aliens but I'm so sick of the alien hype

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
THE greatest hoax of all time is something that we all believe to be real... and it hasn't been questioned or disproved and never will be because then it wouldn't be the greatest hoax.

Therefore no-one can possibly answer this question

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Truthhunter80
THE greatest hoax of all time is something that we all believe to be real... and it hasn't been questioned or disproved and never will be because then it wouldn't be the greatest hoax.

Therefore no-one can possibly answer this question

Well said Truth hunter
I think what alot of people are claiming to be hoaxes fall into this category. The posts regarding religion and banking certainly do. Unfortunately to be a hoax, something has to be admitted to be portrayed as truth to mislead others. The admission is what makes it a hoax.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
ATS pretending to be a forum for the masses! OUCH, OUCH, OUCH!!!!!!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/86f3c54d5278.gif[/atsimg]

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Biggest Hoax's that everyone knows of:
1. Federal Reserve
2. Enron

Unknown:
Stock Market

These where used to create the ruling class and is there process of transferring the worlds money to them.
edit on 4-11-2010 by robbinsj because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by VrilOrder

I bet it started honorable but to be located in the US and a known site by the FBI, yea it can be controlled if not already.
edit on 4-11-2010 by robbinsj because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by amc621

Exactly what I thought. In the late nineteen thirties when Orson Welles made his broadcast that the country was being invaded by Martians. lol..

Thousands of people, believing they were under attack by Martians, flooded newspaper offices and radio and police stations with calls, asking how to flee their city or how they should protect themselves from "gas raids." Scores of adults reportedly required medical treatment for shock and hysteria.

The hoax worked, historians say, because the broadcast authentically simulated how radio worked in an emergency.

Source: Nationalgeographic.com

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Although I'm not really convinced that it is a hoax, I'd say the John Titor story.
If it was a hoax, the people behind it did a excellent job.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Some of these statements here are not "hoaxes." a hoax is an intentional fraud perpetrated by people who know darned well it is a hoax. Someone believing in a religion does not fit that definition.

My vote is Piltdown Man. If you look into what happened there, a number of anthropologists who examined it said it was a hoax, but the media didn't believe them or cover their misgivings. The whole thing played into the British being left out of the then new findings in other countries, such as Neanderthal in Germany and the South African findings. It fed on nationalism, hopes, and a complete misunderstanding of the public in the entire "missing link" issue. There never has been a "missing link" in the anthropological record, but people thought there was, and this fake fossil was perfect to lead people astray. It lasted for several decades before modern carbon dating techniques, plus the extreme suspicion of several anthropologists, led to its unmasking.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Religion and our real history.

second line.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
How about changing thread title to 'admitted hoaxes'? every other post saying religion/democracy/freedom etc might get dull.
edit on 4-11-2010 by neonitus because: I'm an idiot.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by neonitus
Although I'm not really convinced that it is a hoax, I'd say the John Titor story.
If it was a hoax, the people behind it did a excellent job.

The John Titor story was well orchestrated, and I'm pretty much convinced by now that the truth to be found there is very slim. Not to get into a Titor debate here haha

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by neonitus
How about changing thread title to 'admitted hoaxes'? every other post saying religion/democracy/freedom etc might get dull.
edit on 4-11-2010 by neonitus because: I'm an idiot.

Not sure I can change the thread title, if someone knows how let me know.

I anticipated this and if you read the OP, I addressed that as well, also addressed it in a few replies
I think at this point, if we want to keep the hoax thread going, let's just allow the religion/freedom/banks replies keep coming, its only going to keep the thread going anyway, we can just skip those and read the actual hoaxes!

Thanks for the reply!

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Cotingly Fairies. I was born after the hoax was admitted, but its quite cool that 2 school girls in 1917 fooled the world for 60 years.
en.wikipedia.org...

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join