It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your opinion needed -- What is the greatest hoax ever??

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Religion , patriotism , war .

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
The biggest hoax ever? For me, it's the egoic illusion of free will.
2nd line

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting
reply to post by amc621

Exactly what I thought. In the late nineteen thirties when Orson Welles made his broadcast that the country was being invaded by Martians. lol..

Thousands of people, believing they were under attack by Martians, flooded newspaper offices and radio and police stations with calls, asking how to flee their city or how they should protect themselves from "gas raids." Scores of adults reportedly required medical treatment for shock and hysteria.

The hoax worked, historians say, because the broadcast authentically simulated how radio worked in an emergency.

Source: Nationalgeographic.com

So far World of the Worlds has the biggest impact according to the replies of actual hoaxes.
I was hesitant to think of it as a hoax at first but now i am coming round to it

edit on 4-11-2010 by youdidntseeme because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I would say the greatest hoax is the one that generated the most money.
Religion? War?
Which generates the most money?
edit on 4-11-2010 by cluckerspud because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by cluckerspud
Religion? War?

That is what this thread is for. Which one in your opinion, of an admitted hoax, perpetrated on the masses is greatest.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Christianity and Islam are two of those I can name of the bat.
Give me time to name some more. They have relations between the two faiths I named already.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by youdidntseeme

Well intentioned but I feel your pain
It's hard on a Board where the posters don't read English well enough to comprehend the purpose of the thread. No way was this going to be anything but a bash Religion thread. The hate is too deep.

I'll give you a brand new hoax that hit ATS like a storm today. The myth Obama's trip is costing 200 million a day and that they deployed 34 Ships. There must be thousands of people now who think that is true who don't read or check out the stories. Biggest waste of flags on threads I've ever seen. All started by one Blogger full of hot air in India. Let's lynch him!

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by youdidntseeme

Religion? War?

That is what this thread is for. Which one in your opinion, of an admitted hoax, perpetrated on the masses is greatest.

I guess war, but that's just my opinion. But religion seems to go hand in hand with war.
Can it be a tagteam effort?

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by youdidntseeme

Religion? War?

I guess war, but that's just my opinion. But religion seems to go hand in hand with war.
Can it be a tagteam effort?

But where is the second part of the equation, being admitted to as a way to fool the masses?

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555

Well intentioned but I feel your pain
It's hard on a Board where the posters don't read English well enough to comprehend the purpose of the thread. No way was this going to be anything but a bash Religion thread. The hate is too deep.

I'll give you a brand new hoax that hit ATS like a storm today. The myth Obama's trip is costing 200 million a day and that they deployed 34 Ships. There must be thousands of people now who think that is true who don't read or check out the stories. Biggest waste of flags on threads I've ever seen. All started by one Blogger full of hot air in India. Let's lynch him!

i see that you understand the reason here. And kudos on something very up to date, although I must say I havnt read that blog but it has certinaly been brought to my attention elsewhere.

I still predict there will be much more of religion, war, democracy blah blah blah, because people want to believe its a hoax when it reality it just disagrees with them. Its ironic too, those who want to believe in a hoax are just as fervent in their beliefs as the believers who swear something is not a hoax.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   

NASA! without a doubt! with the technology available we are still launching a giant firecracker into space. Nasa has a ridiculous budget and for the past 60 years the space program has been a cover up the best hoax ever to fool the whole world into thinking our money was going into that peice of crap we call a space shuttle. Its fairly obvious that we have found better means of getting into space with the gravity drive propulsion system. Have you seen there website ? its a joke ! The latest space shuttle landing ooooh wowie super craptastic. I could build a better spacecraft with 2 magnets and some foil!

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by takemetourleader

I could build a better spacecraft with 2 magnets and some foil!

When you do make sure that you post it here on ATS, I am sure that many menbers would love to see that happen, but then many others would claims its a hoax and you did it with CGI.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Any of the false flags throughout history. All except 9/11 has been admitted as a hoax, so those should count.

The one I was absolutely surprised and shocked when I heard was the Michigan dog man video, where the guy had a blanket or whatever over him and he ran at the camera. That video was freaky, but to find out it was a hoax and just some dude was unreal.

But I have to say, probably loch ness. I love the idea of it but the plausibility is far out there.

There has very little covered as much as that, so I would call that the biggest.

Pred...

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by predator0187
Any of the false flags throughout history. All except 9/11 has been admitted as a hoax, so those should count.

The one I was absolutely surprised and shocked when I heard was the Michigan dog man video, where the guy had a blanket or whatever over him and he ran at the camera. That video was freaky, but to find out it was a hoax and just some dude was unreal.

But I have to say, probably loch ness. I love the idea of it but the plausibility is far out there.

There has very little covered as much as that, so I would call that the biggest.

Pred...

Pred
perhaps you could embed the video for everyone here.
I would but the youtubr thing always make me feel computer illiterate.
I havnt seen it in awhile

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Sure buddy, I have to give a link because I haven't figure out the YouTube thing on the iPad yet.

The video is in the link though. Feel free to embed if you like.

naturalplane.blogspot.com...

Pred...

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   
One of my favorites
The Great Moon Hoax
www.museumofhoaxes.com...

The scientists discovered human-like creatures living inside a ring of red hills they dubbed the “Ruby Colosseum.” Unlike earth-bound humans, these creatures were “covered, except on the face, with short and glossy copper-colored hair, and had wings composed of a thin membrane, without hair, lying snugly upon their backs.”

I have the feeling that if it were re-written in more modern language, there would be believers today.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 12:39 AM
link   

I would have to say the Fatima Visions and Future Predictions of Lúcia Santos and the two others . Even Today , the Faithful Believe in their Fictional Story .

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Greatest hoax? That the Republicans are actual fiscal conservatives.

Seriously though, I'd have to nominate Atlantis. Plato's wrote a hearsay account based on his ancestor's writings (Solon) and some Egyptian priest's recollection of Sea people's invasion and mixed it all together into a concoction that has baffled and intrigued scholars since 400 BC.
edit on 5-11-2010 by Blackmarketeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Well heres an oldie but a goodie...

Cottingley Fairies

Hardly the greatest hoax but it was one that created quite a bit of excitement and a fad, fooled some high up people in the field and even still has a few ardent adherents after being well established and admitted to as being total fabrications...

Although i personally still think the idea of fey folk (but not as we think of them) has merit and there have been other latter sightings that make the case for them existing... that being said the Fairies Photographs however didnt, just as the Surgeons Photo turned out to be a hoax but that didnt invalidate the existence of Nessy

Hopefully this is more in line with what the OP wanted... id also class a huge number of mediums and spiritualists from the late 1800's to the early 1900's... While a handful might have been genuine, the majority within the entire spiritualist movement where swindlers and fakers who took thousands of people for a ride.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 03:35 AM
link   
1) Religion

2) John Titor

3) Santa Clause

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join