It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Jesus had HIV' sermon sparks South African fury

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   

'Jesus had HIV' sermon sparks South African fury

www.bbc.co.uk

The words initially stunned his congregation in Cape Town's Khayelitsha township into silence, and then set tongues wagging in churches across the country.

Some Christians have been outraged, saying he is portraying Jesus as sexually promiscuous.

However, as Pastor Skosana told those gathered in the modest Luhlaza High School hall for his weekly services, in many parts of the Bible Jesus put himself in the position of the destitute, the sick and the marginalised.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   
QUALITY.

Now it seems that even Christian preachers cannot give sermons without offending 'Christians'. Confused? I am.

I think suggesting that Jesus had HIV is a great idea - living by example and all that. Oh, the idea of destitution and living with the wastrels and the forgotten is also a cracking idea.

Not that most Christians seem to remember that part of their religion.

Ah well.

Who's offended? Any takers? I certainly aint!

Rev.

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Revenant
I think suggesting that Jesus had HIV is a great idea -

I think it's freak'n stupid.

There is no way anyone could know what someone back then had or didn't have.
There is no evidence to even remotely support the notion that He had HIV (or cancer or anything else).
And frankly, from what we've seen, HIV has only been around for the past 40 years or so.
It wasn't invented until recently. And yes .. I said INVENTED.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I think you've missed the point here entirely....

Rev.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   

No .. I get it perfectly. The guy used a metaphore .. or claimed to after being called on it.
It's still freak'n stupid. And it makes no sense theologically. Christ may have ministered to people but he never took on leprosy or actually became a tax collector to save souls. He wouldn't have made himself HIV positive, even if it were around back then .. which it wasn't.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   

I don't know for sure, but I think what the preacher was doing was trying to show Jesus' outlook or situation as an analogy, to today's world. Possibly he was using HIV as a metaphor of sorts, which in itself is a reasonably intelligent thing to do. BTW, do you understand what it is like in Africa? I do and sometimes it's a lot easier to get your point across using a subject or topic that people can understand and relate to, in a "transferable" context. The preacher made one mistake however, is SA if they have something to biatch about, they goona be riots. Hope they don't use the Nelson and Winnie Mandela "home cure" of necklacing on him.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
how could jesus of had hiv

when the americans had not invented it yet

but i see where the preacher is coming from

i am a christian an jesus was always in the thick of people with diseases

and thats what he is trying to get at

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Rev.

Maybe.

Wait let's see if this helps us all get it.

Find someone to say publicly that mohammed also had HIV.

Let's see how the muslim world reacts (and how long the person that said it remains alive).

We'll all find out what a great idea it is to attack someone's religion metaphorically, or just to make a point.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by The Revenant

Well, i call the Christians that are outraged to this hypocrites. They hide behind the need of self expression when that cartoon of Muhammad, the same one Muslims found offense, was highly.. and i mean highly publicized.

Now, let's see how they react when something their religious figure is "tarnished". And from reading that article.. not well. Seems some people cannot take what they dish out.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by The Revenant

I can see the guy is attempting to `do some good` albeit in a rather clumsy way, but then again it is not my culture- it may very well be an effective means of communicating his message to the congregation.

And he concluded the last of his three-part sermon by taking an HIV test in front of the congregation - after which 100 churchgoers followed his example.

link

Perhaps he`s a fan of Trey Parker & Matt Stone ......?

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by UmbraSumus

I think you are right - he MUST be a Team America fan. Why else everyone have AIDS? AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS!

HAHA!!!!

Rev.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
THIS.........
2ND

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Dude, who THINKS of this stuff? Now, I'm an atheist, so it's not that I'm offended at the thought of Jesus having HIV... what I am offended by is the insult to my intelligence that this is! First off, how would we know if someone who lived thousands of years ago with no remains to be found would have HIV? Second off, based off of my first point, who would come out and say something like this? This guy is either living in a land of delusion, is a cult leader in the making or is just a loony. Thank you for your time, have a wonderful day.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Dude, who THINKS of this stuff? Now, I'm an atheist, so it's not that I'm offended at the thought of Jesus having HIV... what I am offended by is the insult to my intelligence that this is! First off, how would we know if someone who lived thousands of years ago with no remains to be found would have HIV? Second off, based off of my first point, who would come out and say something like this? This guy is either living in a land of delusion, is a cult leader in the making or is just a loony. Thank you for your time, have a wonderful day.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by brandonbrownson

My apologies for the double message here, too. Dunno why it did that.... you can go ahead and delete one of them and this post as well. Thank you for your time, have a wonderful day.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Oh for blank's sake.

Just because some preacher says something - preachers are often wrong.

Jesus did not have HIV - that is a new disease.

And, as well Jesus had nothing wrong with Him - unlike most people.

Jesus was the perfect image, meant to lead us to kindness and love to our fellow humans.

Sorry, Jesus, even after all these years, we are still horrible to each other.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
Wait let's see if this helps us all get it.

Find someone to say publicly that mohammed also had HIV.

Let's see how the muslim world reacts (and how long the person that said it remains alive).

We'll all find out what a great idea it is to attack someone's religion metaphorically, or just to make a point.

I can pretty much guarantee that this preacher in SA is in just as bad a shape than any Muslim saying that Muhammed had HIV.

You do know that "witch" burnings are common place in SA and other African countries correct? Do you know why?

.....................................Christianity!!!!!!!

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by brandonbrownson
This guy is either living in a land of delusion, is a cult leader in the making or is just a loony.

Or like most "Church" leaders......all three.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Was Jesus real?!

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by UmbraSumus

Perhaps he`s a fan of Trey Parker & Matt Stone ......?

Let's do a blood test on everyone.

Let's find out who has aids and who doesn't.
edit on 4-11-2010 by In nothing we trust because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join