It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have you had your daily dose of Pagan today?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   

This is a discussion on our Pagan traditions beliefs or just and way that some part of old pagan cultures and religions affect our own in daily life. Like the names of our week days:

Sunday - - Sun's day for Apollo not Christ as alot of people believe
Monday - - Moon's day sometimes Mars' Day
Tuesday - - Tiu's day or Tyr's day
Wednesday - - Woden's day or Odins Day
Thursday - - Thor's day
Friday - - Feya's Day or Frigg's Day
Saturday - - Saturn's day

What others are the I know there have to be endless number of influences today.

Do these parts of ancient cultures in our life affect you?

What are you thought on how they have change our culture and our modern religions?

Peace Patriot

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
All religions are influenced from one another. Where else do you think the idea of God(s), Jesus, and many others came from?

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

Im not saying anything about pagan beliefs being wrong or anything like that. I practice my own religion with a lot of pagan and christian aspects along with others. So I'm not trying to say anything bad i just want to have a discussion on how ancient pagan cultures affect or influence our own

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
As far as I'm concerned, Paganism (etc.) is probably the only faith truly worth devoting yourself to, should you choose a path of devotion. Everything else is a derivation, and the further you stray from the truth, the more devotion turns into a pyramid control scheme, possibly even bordering on all-out conspiracy.

Why else would Paganism be such a despised and detested faith? A: Because there's no way to derive power over the people who follow this faith.

"All great truths begin as blasphemies." (George Bernard Shaw)

The only blasphemies are to hide the truth and to control those seeking the truth.
edit on 2-11-2010 by xiphias because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by xiphias

Right I agree with you 100%. but what I want to know is how you think pagan belief ideas and traditions still effect our modern times.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by DisIllusioned PatRiot
reply to post by xiphias

Right I agree with you 100%. but what I want to know is how you think pagan belief ideas and traditions still effect our modern times.

Well, Halloween is a good start.
No surprise that it has been painted as a day of evil worship, and we all know that is far from the truth. I actually see it as a day of unity and charity.

I think in the near future, everybody on the planet will naturally come to embrace the practice of some sort of paganism. The dreaded "end times" actually mark the "end" of the power the churches hold over the world. Not saying churches or organized religions are "evil," I'm just saying the power is about to be commandeered by the people and wielded for the people and the planet.
edit on 2-11-2010 by xiphias because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by xiphias

Good so the church corrupts and bastardizes the pagan belief and then they slowly take down the church and regain power.

every major holy day church rite and minor superstition has some roots in somewhere in paganism

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   

reply to post by xiphias

Good so the church corrupts and bastardizes the pagan belief and then they slowly take down the church and regain power.

I actually think this all happens automatically. The corruption actually self-destructs the church. Some sort of supernatural lesson to the world that corruption and greed will never be allowed to flourish. Apparently the "roof of the church" is about to cave in (figuratively), according to various seers.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   

reply to post by xiphias

they dont seem to affect me at all or people im surrounded by unless the topic comes up and discussing it in detail

funny to mention that most people who get all excited about easter and halloween and christmas etc are usually christians, im speaking of ones i know, and really without them caring that it has pagan roots being reemphasized back into catholic ideology in a new package mostly to convert the pagans of the time to catholocism

many people like romantic rebel said, a lot of people dare to take responsibility on themselves and live life

religion and god are used as a crutch to feel good about themselves

i always ask them this, if you are made in gods image, then you have a piece of god IN you, so why do you look for him elsewhere? they made god into an image of an old man hanging out in the sky just chillin watching us and never answering the prayers we really want answered

but wait, jesus said ASK ANYTHING in my name and it will be done, total lie
why people still cling to old fairy tales i have no clue

we are all one and in that collective is god, its all us, its creation its the universe, its the world, its us

so lets all become one again and love like we should
we make our hell (bad times) and feed our demons (thoughts, drama, hurts) and blame the devil (our bad sides, anger, hate) and praise a god(s) when good happens (our strong side) and yet never give ourselves credit for being who we are (human BEINGS)

if god made us to live life and enjoy it, dont you think he left it all in our hands to do and accomplish and overcome on our own?

oh no wait, he only plays favorites to those that BELIEVE in him the correct way and the correct god with the correct book

sorry i ranted

but in religious topics it all connects and then branches out and never can really end until the tree is dead from not watering it anymore and then planting your own seed and growing a new tree worth watering

just my 2 cents and theres a hole in my pocket
edit on 2-11-2010 by MurderCityDevil because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Well, let's also add:

Janus = January = Roman god of new beginnings
Februs = February = Roman festival of cleansing
Mars = March = Roman god of war
April = April = Latin word for Open
Juno = June = Goddess of Marriage

The U.S. Capital building has a statue of Mars at the right of the main entrance

The U.S. Justice Department building has a statue of Justia, the roman goddess of justice

The Army's medal of honor has an impression of Minerva, the roman goddess of wisdom

also there is the Washington Momument and the All Seeing Eye/Pyramid on the dollar bill

There are brand names, such as the Venus razors, Saturn cars, and of course Nike, the goddess of victory.

That's a good sized list without even touching the traditions that were coopted by the Christians and claimed as their own.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by rogerstigers

Thanks great info exactly what i was looking for. Now how come there's no John the Baptist brand running shoes or a car called the Jesus. is the christian religion that uninspiring in mundane everyday life outside of church. and its not just Christians. you don's any brands or months/ days name Vishnu either.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   

reply to post by rogerstigers

Thanks great info exactly what i was looking for. Now how come there's no John the Baptist brand running shoes or a car called the Jesus. is the christian religion that uninspiring in mundane everyday life outside of church. and its not just Christians. you don's any brands or months/ days name Vishnu either.

Actually there is, but they are not as common here in the USA because of name exposure.. Greek and Roman gods are more well known.

www.brahminsfoods.com...

However, there is a Grocery/Hamburger chain here in Texas called Brahms, which is indeed named after Brahama.

The reason why there are no well known brands surrounding the Abrahamic religions is that they tend to take themselves WAY too seriously. The name of their god being something that most people are not even allowed to say or if they do say it, it must be in reverence and not "in vain"
edit on 11-2-2010 by rogerstigers because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
so there are some aspects of paganism left in the everyday life of people. But are the pagans dying out. Most people seem to think so. there's has been kinda of a pagan reformation in the last 50 to 100 years but most of the movement and groups don't last. Are some of the oldest religious traditions dying? or cursed to be seen as wrong or evil? ask most people what they think of any type of paganism and they almost always jump to Wicca saying that's not a real religion its just something emo teenage girls do. or they bring the holy water.... THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPELS YOU...

I practice my mix of some Christianity mix with a healthy dose of the Gnostics Norse and Irish. Most people at least most other Christians immediately say that i am going to hell. So how does Paganism effect your lives?

Peace Patriot

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   
The Christmas tree is a tradition derived from pagan rituals. Some people believe the mingling of this tradition was to help convert people to Christianity.

The entire calendar itself was derived from an ancient pagan civilization - the Mayans.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by nottheonlyone

Right Right... Good. The only part of Christmas that isn't pagan is Christ and even some parts of his stories have roots in pagan legends that predate him over 1000 years.

Mistletoe is part of the Druidic Solstice celebration along with kissing under it.

The Romans gave gifts during there Winter holiday

While not necessarily Christian. Santa Claus has roots in many pagan customs. Odin or Wodan left gifts under an evergreen tree during the Yule season. and the Norse Goddess Hertha appeared in peoples fireplaces and brought good luck to the house.

And on top of all of that many well respected historians don't believe that Christ was born anywhere close to Dec. 25. The bible states that the Shepherds where in the fields tending there flocks. the area around what was then Bethlehem is freezing in December so no cattle or sheep in the fields especially with new born lambs. its much more likely to have in the spring time around march. so why even celebrate it at all. especially if the only day the NT says to celebrate it Christ Resurrection?

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Well how about Thoth (or Hermes in Greek) he is pagan god responible for a couple things.....

Among the arts and sciences which it is affirmed Hermes revealed to mankind were medicine, chemistry, law, arc, astrology, music, rhetoric, Magic, philosophy, geography, mathematics (especially geometry), anatomy, and oratory

Just to add; something that I find ironic and what has always bugged me is that religions / beliefs that pre date Christianity such as Paganism, Astrology and the more spiritual religions are called "New Age" religions. When Christianity is the newest of them all.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by wycky

yep anybody that has anything to do with a pagan religion gets lumped into that weirdo new-age hippie group. Some are a new like Wicca which I'm not a fan of myself (i think it changes too many things) but Christianity and Islam are the two major newcomers why aren't they the odd ones out? Islam is what like 1400 years old or something like that shouldn't more people doubt that?

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by DisIllusioned PatRiot

Because there are more people that are Christian and Muslim and I guess majority rules.
Also Christian's, Muslim's and Jew's all believe in the same God they just have a different way of showing their faith, so if you were to prove one wrong you would prove them all wrong.
Which is why if you don't believe in one of the big 3 you are a weirdo.

I'm a Weirdo now and proud of it

Funny thing I found is the more I learn't about religion the more I dislike it

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   

This is a discussion on our Pagan traditions beliefs or just and way that some part of old pagan cultures and religions affect our own in daily life. Like the names of our week days:

Sunday - - Sun's day for Apollo not Christ as alot of people believe
Monday - - Moon's day sometimes Mars' Day
Tuesday - - Tiu's day or Tyr's day
Wednesday - - Woden's day or Odins Day
Thursday - - Thor's day
Friday - - Feya's Day or Frigg's Day
Saturday - - Saturn's day

What others are the I know there have to be endless number of influences today.

Do these parts of ancient cultures in our life affect you?

What are you thought on how they have change our culture and our modern religions?

Peace Patriot

Monday is always associated with the moon.

Tuesday or tyr as you wrote, is the germanic god which corresponds to the roman mars.

doesnt matter where you go, the 7 planets visible to the human eye, the 5 planets and the two great orbs, each ascribed a day of the week.

Also, the planet is not in itself whats alluded to. The planet is in itself an allusion, a ticker, to the spiritual force which works through it.

You know what i find funny? Christian Europe chose to name the days of their week specficially after Roman and Germanic gods. What does this indicate about the people who had the influence to do this? Maybe they in themselves are pagans? Maybe the culture we live in today is exactly what pagansim symbolzes, afterall, the Roman Dionysus, Liber, is the etymological source of the word 'liberal'.. Liber is the archetype who projects his influence into this world. Liber "El". al or el in Hebrew means god or power. So, literally, one who is liberal is psychologically (spiritually) being utilized as a vehicle of the archetype of liber.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
great post people please keep it. just remember the GI Joe's knowing is half the battle. : ) let get some more of this info out . i have some friends that are fundamental baptist and this info is challenging their blind faith and making them think for once about just what they believe.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join