It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Create Paleozoic Sized Dragonflies.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   

You know what there's not nearly enough of, on this fine planet of ours? Dangerous animals that could wipe us all out in one fell swoop. I guess that's why these sadistic scientists bred extra-large dragonflies, then?

The scientists raised atmospheric oxygen levels to above 30 per cent, which is closer to how the Paleozoic era's environment would've been, supposedly. Once the air was right for breeding, Dr John VandenBrooks and his team then successfully managed to breed dragonflies with wingspans of roughly 70cm.

Oversized cockroach breeding was also attempted by Dr VandenBrooks, but thankfully he failed. I don't have to remind you how resilient cockroaches already are, but cockroaches on steroids? Someone give me access to their bomb shelter, and fast! [GSA via The Register]

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by DrLovecraft

This is pretty cool! I saw a program about how large were insects in the dinosaur era and they were very larger. If I can find the video I will post it.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Two words" NO WAY". I simply don't believe it. This would be world wide news if true. Where is the link to the story? All you have is a woman holding a large dragonfly model. This should be moved to the Hoax forum.

edit on 2-11-2010 by tarifa37 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by tarifa37

Two words NO WAY. I simply don't believe it. This would be world wide news if true. Where is the link to the story. All you have is a woman holding a large dragonfly model.

Easy now, here is the link: m.gizmodo.com...

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
oh, imagine that fly around in your room at night, eh.
But where is the links?
Its big news, if its true, you know that?

EDIT**

I just saw you linked the links, but really, it just say the same as you said.... Still nothing to back up the claims, and I tried the other links too, just the same...

Better links please
edit on 17031992 by ypperst because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrLovecraft

Two words NO WAY. I simply don't believe it. This would be world wide news if true. Where is the link to the story. All you have is a woman holding a large dragonfly model.

Do you really believe the stuff on that site ?

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Do you really believe the stuff on that site ?

Says the person posting from "this" site. *facepalm*

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   
While reading the linked-to article I checked some of the links on the page and eventually found another link to a good source.

So if you just click on this you can read it yourself.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   

How are over-sized dragonflies dangerous? I would think they would make for excellent mosquito control.

As far as the giant roaches, we already have them here in Florida; they call them "palmetto bugs"

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   
KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope that thing isn't real. I'd have to carry a bat or sword with me everywhere I go.
I can't imagine taking a trip to DisneyWorld. If that thing hits your windshield it would kill someone.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Here's a better link....

______beforeitsnews/story/243/194/Feeding_From_Oxygen_-_Insects_Grow_Bigger_-_Giant_Dragonflies_Preferred_Oxygen_Rich_Atmosphere.html

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   

The scientists raised atmospheric oxygen levels to above 30 per cent, which is closer to how the Paleozoic era's environment would've been, supposedly. Once the air was right for breeding, Dr John VandenBrooks and his team then successfully managed to breed dragonflies with wingspans of roughly 70cm.

[GSA via The Register]

reply to post by Tayesin

There are no articles I can find that back up the OP size of dragonfly in his linked picture. All the experiments found was they did grow faster and into larger adults but does not say what size they grew to. I would imagine it was slightly larger than a normal adult. It would take millions of years of evolution in higher oxygen to produce dragonflies with 70cm wingspans. www.astrobiology.com...

One result was that dragonflies grew faster into bigger adults in hyperoxia. However, cockroaches grew slower and did not become larger adults. In all, ten out of twelve kinds of insects studied decreased in size in lower oxygen atmospheres. But there were varied responses when they were placed into an enriched oxygen atmosphere. VandenBrooks will be presenting the results of the work on Monday, Nov. 1 at the annual meeting of the Geological Society of America in Denver.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Wow, everything I ever wanted is coming true...................

I can remember, as a young child, browsing thru dinosaur books (With lots of pictures!!) desperately wishing I could see real, live, giant,dragonflys, with 3 foot wingspans...........................
edit on 2-11-2010 by Khaaaaaan!! because: really I did

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Don't fret, remember that these things need a high oxygen content to survive. They couldn't survive or adapt in our unconfined world. So don't worry, no giant cockroaches or spiders...yet

Bahahahaha

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Did you know dragonflies have six legs but can't walk. DOH

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Only one picture of a creature like that? Fake story for sure. HOAX

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by earthdude
Only one picture of a creature like that? Fake story for sure. HOAX

The above picture in question is a model based in the results of the experiment. No one here ever said it was a real Drongonfly she was holding. Though just because we don't have a photograph doesn't automatically make it a hoax. Would you claim nuclear fusion is a hoax because you couldn't physically observe it yourself?

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Brilliant thread. well discovered, plenty of links to back up the claim now, from various sources. compelling story.
Ever wondered why we humans have ( a lot of us) an inherent psychological pre-disposition to insect hatred?
because there was a time when they were huge and we used to be propper scared of em. nuff said. bad science.

Oh and im sure once weve bread em big, they can be genetically modified to survive in low oxygen, and stay big, its just one more step. and that aint many steps for a people who like to climb ladders.
edit on 2-11-2010 by Lagrimas because: addition

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Yeah, I have a 70cm dragonfly but I don't want any photos of it released. I use a fake instead. Maybe they bred a 7cm dragonfly and the other scientists were not impressed. Scientists show evidence of their theories or we just laugh at them. Ha Ha, I laugh at you. I revoke your credentials with the power of the love of science.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Without continued levels of high oxygen they would simply just die out. Insects breathe differently than we do. The lower oxygen levels now would sufficate that thing in the modern world. Don't worry the world is safe from this one. Plus it would take several of those to think they could take down a human they are still too small to think we are food. Normal food for a dragon fly is about 1-10% of a dragonflies body size. They don't go after large prey it's not worth the rsik when they only live in the adult form for a few months at most. So a sparrow may have a concern but not a human.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join