It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lealie Kean on the UFO field: "It’s just a cesspool."

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Hahaha . . . . well I wouldn't go that far, but it does need improvement.

www.cjr.org...

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I have to agree sadly but yeah. Long gone are the days of Bruce Maccabees and Allen Hynek. Critical thinking is frowned on too often and too many blind believers in the field to determine what is and what isn't.

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   
What's for dinner, hmmmmm hmmmmm good.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/06ff22880b2f.gif[/atsimg]

Leslie Kean is just another one using other peoples reseach to sell a book.

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Calling the UFO field of research a cesspool is saying it lightly. Trying to separate the garbage from the good is like looking for very small diamonds at a massive sewage treatment plant. You get an idea of just how bad it is when you see the types of threads on this forum everyday, especially as of late.

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
there are too many agendas
political control
milatary control
making money

for this subject not to be a sess pool

IMHO

but if a few are awakened im not wasting my time in this feild of reasurch

xploder

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by XPLodER
but if a few are awakened im not wasting my time in this feild of reasurch

You aren't. I have to admit when I took the step to start digging into all this beyond watching the odd TV doc, I was surprised at how ridiculous some of it gets, but I don't really care about all that. I think I've found some good stuff and correspond with people who do the same. That's good enough for me.

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Unknown Soldier

I still remember the interview Art Bell did with Jonathon Reed here a picture of the Burrito Alien he claims he captured.

Bruce Maccabee is still around, I listened to an interview he did recently, think it was Dark Matters Radio with Don Ecker, I met Bruce in 1990 at a Conference at Fort Mason in San Francisco, nice and very serious guy.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b58922a15f5e.jpg[/atsimg]

edit on 31-10-2010 by Aquarius1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Kean: "the US government ...made up false explanations for cases that have happened since the 1970s."

Can I be shown a few examples of this, please?

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 12:47 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by JimOberg

Kean: "the US government ...made up false explanations for cases that have happened since the 1970s."

or how about you start cleaning some of your own mess?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by UFO Partisan

Isn't cesspool a polite way of saying s***hole? She's right!

I prefer to think of the UFO field as like a bad neighbourhood. Sure, there are plenty of good people in bad neighbourhoods, but there are a lot more who are mad, bad and dangerous to know. Fights, arguments and feuds are just day-to-day in bad neighbourhoods. In-fighting and betrayals? People using people to get at other people?

It's all there in ufology.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 06:47 AM
link   

They used bluebook to explain away cases through 1969, but as of 1970, as far as I know, they said they were out of the UFO investigating business so they didn't have to offer any explanation at all, made up or otherwise.

I don't really believe the part about being completely out of the UFO investigating business, so that part of their public story may be false, but it doesn't constitute a made up explanation about UFO cases, as Kean claims.

Now prior to the 1970s, some of the Bluebook explanations have been criticized as potentially made-up, like Hyneck's infamous "swamp gas" explanation for example, but he doesn't admit it was made up and in fact the Air Force supposedly decided it was Venus that people saw, not burning swamp gas as Hynek suggested may be a possible explanation, and apparently the Air force did sometimes disregard his evaluations:

www.artgomperz.com...

The Air Force never attempted to influence my view on any case, but occasionally the service would disregard my evaluations. What was more, I was not consulted on some key cases.
-Dr Hynek

I finally found a picture of burning swamp gas, but the photographer had to light it, and I don't know how it would ignite naturally other than lightning, and I'm not sure how easily it can be mistaken for a UFO.

www.flickr.com...
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/25a4ff6f2564.jpg[/atsimg]

But I don't think Hynek made the explanation up, he explains the circumstances under which he came up with that explanation and it was partially a result of the pressure to offer something to reporters in a press conference whether he had any possible explanation ready or not. In retrospect he probably wishes he had "just said no" to the press conference until and if he had more on the case.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   

The Air Force tried to explain the Stephenville sightings as an illusion created by a couple airliners. The FAA tried to explain the O'Hare object as the airport lights reflecting off clouds. Then they realized that the airport lights hadn't been turned on yet at the time of the sighting, so they tried to say it was a hole punch cloud, which was apparently impossible due to the temperature at the airport at the time of the sighting, although I'm not a meteorologist. As far as I know, that's still the official explanation. Those are the only post-1970s examples I can think of off the top of my head. I'm not sure which ones Kean had in mind when she made that statement. The O'Hare explanation is probably one of them, since she has mentioned it in several interviews. Government agencies aren't really in the habit of commenting on UFO sightings anymore, but if you look at Hynek's commentary on some of the laughable explanations dished out during Blue Book you realize that there has never really been any interest in dealing honestly with the public on this subject.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Orkojoker

Another example would be explaining away the Phoenix lights as military flares.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Orkojoker

The Air Force tried to explain the Stephenville sightings as an illusion created by a couple airliners. The FAA tried to explain the O'Hare object as the airport lights reflecting off clouds. Then they realized that the airport lights hadn't been turned on yet at the time of the sighting, so they tried to say it was a hole punch cloud, which was apparently impossible due to the temperature at the airport at the time of the sighting, although I'm not a meteorologist. As far as I know, that's still the official explanation. Those are the only post-1970s examples I can think of off the top of my head. I'm not sure which ones Kean had in mind when she made that statement. The O'Hare explanation is probably one of them, since she has mentioned it in several interviews. Government agencies aren't really in the habit of commenting on UFO sightings anymore, but if you look at Hynek's commentary on some of the laughable explanations dished out during Blue Book you realize that there has never really been any interest in dealing honestly with the public on this subject.

Correct sir and well said.It is laughable on the perceptions of their explanations that the official sources dish out.If they cannot get a explanation RIGHT the first time then WHY should we trust them.This subject is massive in the sense that i do not blame the official line of denying any real and genuine ET sources for SOME explanations of SOME UFOs .The reasons are clear, panic and a massive hit to the human perceptions of our own place in this vast and as yet NOT FULLY understood universe.We all do not know all there is to know about everything and those that claim they do are the ones to avoid or judged suspect.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by SunshineLaws
Another example would be explaining away the Phoenix lights as military flares.
No.

That's not a made-up explanation, that's what the 10pm lights were without a doubt. One of the pilots who dropped the flares confirmed he dropped them and video analysis confirms that's what they are.

Regarding the 8:30pm sighting, I've never heard any official explanation, nobody claims that was flares as far as I know.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Since the 70s? I think she's forgetting about the 40s, 50s and 60s.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Yep i think its worse, and i would not watch 1 single video or look at 1 single photo today. Hoaxs all the time, waste of time.

The best ufo stories are from years back, when man was not able to do what they can do today.

I just ignore the alien forums here, even though i would read or watch a serious vid on it, i doubt many today are seriously able to critically analyse anything other than xfactor or what ever you people watch.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky
reply to post by UFO Partisan

Isn't cesspool a polite way of saying s***hole? She's right!

I prefer to think of the UFO field as like a bad neighbourhood. Sure, there are plenty of good people in bad neighbourhoods, but there are a lot more who are mad, bad and dangerous to know. Fights, arguments and feuds are just day-to-day in bad neighbourhoods. In-fighting and betrayals? People using people to get at other people?

It's all there in ufology.

I think its easy to spot though. It would seem the most distrustful people are the ones whos very livelyhood depends on the UFO/alien issue (such as greer, pye, etc)

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by NavalFC

I think its easy to spot though. It would seem the most distrustful people are the ones whos very livelyhood depends on the UFO/alien issue (such as greer, pye, etc)

Too true usually. Greer and Pye are great examples and we could add the Exopolitics, Project Camelot and a few others to that list too. Royce Myers' UFO Watchdog Hall of Shame should be required reading although he doesn't include Bob Dean in there.

The livelihood issue isn't as clearcut in my opinion. Quite a few people have spent their lives in the UFO field and made a poor living indeed. Dick Hall is a legend in ufology and it probably ruined him financially...he died broke. A rare few choose to exploit public interest by selling dreams, fantasies and BS. Some of them (Greer, Meier, Pye) do well. The guys making no bizarre claims like Dr Haines, Ted Roe, Jerry Clark and so on aren't making a living out of the subject. It's more of a sideline to their real lives.

There are also people like Dimitris Hatzopoulos' Hyper and Jerry Cohen running great websites for no reward. In the scheme of things most UFO researchers are simply getting by.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join