It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ak vs. m16/m4

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 05:08 PM
link   
For those who would rather take an M-16, consider this - You have an accurate weapon, you see a guy down the street, the distance is about 250yards, you raise you gun and aim, sure you will hit as you have a very accurate weapon, pull the trigger *click* your weapon has jammed, by this time the guy down the street has seen you and raises his AK-47 to shoot you. Think you've cocked it up yet?
Since you have to field strip your M-16 and then reload it, then hope it fires... even if the guy with the AK-47's gun jams, all he has to do is rack the AK-47 again and it will fire... and the AK-47 is accurate up to 500yards and the average fighting distance is upto 300yards...

STILL want an M-16??

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Accurate my ass! Give these lousy shots shotguns with double odd.Then you won't miss. Tried it.100m shots.Still holes an old hardwood door.
Seen new recruits miss a four foot target at 100 yards! Someone exaggerated and said the FN kicks like a mule.And they started flinching.

[edit on 10-8-2004 by stgeorge]

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 05:56 PM
link   
personally i would choose the m16/4 because im very careful not to get dirty and i avoid muddy places........and because of that i wont get my gun jammed.......and i also like how the m4/16 looks like

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 06:05 PM
link   
You may be carful not to get dirty in the lifestyle you lead now, but in the army they will drag you through # holes you cant be carful not to get dirty in, and in Iraq the M-16 will jam because of sandstorms ect...

Looks arnt important in a gun, its feel, power, accuracy and reliability (not in that order)

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 06:40 PM
link   
No in Iraq the modern M-16 wont jam as much as it used to in 91. One low-tech way to prevent your M-16 from jamming is to place a condom to cover the barrel tied with a rubber band. It may sound stupid but it works

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Or maybe clean your weapon twice a day? Like all trained soldiers do.

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Even if up to your neck in mud,you keep that weapon over your head.
During Paschendale,Canadians learned to shoot their rifles raised over their heads in the muck.

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 08:42 PM
link   
i know this thread is about comparing the AK-47 to the M-16/M4 but the AK-74 is worth mentioning because it is a great gun that maintains the 47 and M's reliability and durability but uses a smaller calibre bullet and plastic cartridges to make a lighter weapon with longer range and higher muzzle velocity.

Personally, I would take the 74 over the M16/M4 anyday.

thanks,
drfunk

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I'd choose the weapon my supply section had ammunition for. That would probably not be the AK-47. All these preferences are immaterial, unless you have a supply chain that will provide ammuntion for whatever weapon you might happen to find on the battlefield--not a very likely scenario, in my humble experience.

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 02:33 AM
link   
I guess you might want to tell Larry Phillips(sp) about how much the AK-47 doesn't jam. He is one of the two bank robbers in the north Hollywood shootout. His AK jammed in a fire fight with police so he killed himself. Even the most reliable weapons will leave you hanging dry in critical time

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 06:24 AM
link   
I belive his AK-47 jammed because he taped to magazines together, this wreaks the port of the magazine and causes it to jam lots.

Also as I said, most jams are easily solved by a simple re-racking with the AK-47, but if you tape the magazines together like that then the ports are wreaked and it doesnt feed properly.

THAT would be why his AK-47 failed.

[edit on 11-8-2004 by The_Squid]

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 07:19 AM
link   
The Russians may be returning to the old 7.62 mm short for its heavier bullet. They have a new series of weapons called the Grozy's ,which means thunder.
Quite ingenious using all those old 7.62 mags for a new bullpup rifle.There is also a 9mm SMG with a short grenade launcher.For house to house.

The M16 design is over 40 years old and the AK has its roots to WW2. The Russians fielded the new mini-AK. The shortened M16 carbines,I don't know how they fare as to reliability.

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 11:14 PM
link   
the AN-94 Abakan is a weapon to behold

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I suppose, and that was a thread killer wasnt it...

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Squid
I suppose, and that was a thread killer wasnt it...

It's a weird beast, fires bursts of two bullet before transmitting recoil to the frame and the butt.

world.guns.ru...

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 07:37 PM
link   
A bullpup derivative of the AK-47
Cool pix

world.guns.ru...

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Do any of these weapons have arctic triggers? meaning one in which the trigger guard can be removed or folded within the grip in very cold weather? The FN had it. Shows tests were made in ideal conditions.

[edit on 15-8-2004 by stgeorge]

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
I guess you might want to tell Larry Phillips(sp) about how much the AK-47 doesn't jam. He is one of the two bank robbers in the north Hollywood shootout. His AK jammed in a fire fight with police so he killed himself. Even the most reliable weapons will leave you hanging dry in critical time

He ran out of ammo, went to his pistol and then killed himself.

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 06:15 PM
link   
The M16 doesn't jam if you clean it, which all soldiers do at least once a day regardless of the weapon they have.

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 02:58 AM
link   

He ran out of ammo, went to his pistol and then killed himself.

Nope you got your facts mixed up. His AK jammed and he was trying to fix it but he couldn't and so he dropped the AK and went to his pistol. When he saw that he was outgunned with just a pistol he shot himself under chin.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join