It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Get Rid of the Colt 1911??

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 10:13 PM
link   
The .45 round is a better killer then the 9mm for one reason, it is bigger. It makes a bigger hole going in then the 9mm, thus more damage and more bleeding.

You will never get the velocity high enough, unless you go magnum for the bullet to expand or fragment inside it's target.

That said, the most important factor in stopping power is shot placement.

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by stgeorge
No,we have to standardize ammo.You forced the 5.56mm down everyone's throat.Now they are forcing the 9mm on you.
Good enough.Not perfect.

Then why NOT make it standard round?? .45 ACP and 5.56mm NATO or 7.62mm?? whichever they decide is a better round for killing.

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Glocks new 45

Large magazine, modern tooling.

The round (bullet to some) is a tad different from the 1911 though
new round I suspect for reasons only known to Glock.

I agree with those that feel a 45 is a better defensive weapon than than the 9. I also agree with it being better offensively.

I have seen a few policemen with the new pistol and they like it.

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I am quoting a Korea vet when I mentioned .45's and 357's.
"What?Do you want to blow his guts all over the place.Knock him through a wall??"
A combat vet.because you sometimes have clean up to do.

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 06:30 PM
link   
If you've fired both weapons you'd know why they replaced the M 1911.

Ye olde Colt .45 has a slide on it that kicks like Jet Li. While the 9mm has a much less powerful kickback. This allows someone without a lot of arm strength to pull off more shots and fatigues you less durring a firefight.

As for th bullet size, well the .45 was designed to stop someone cold in one hit. It's a nice thought but a well placed 9mm to the squishier parts does about the same.

Both are deadly weapons, both can probably be stopped pretty well by a trauma plate though so it really doesn't matter in a battlefield situation.

Ah well, give me a good Benelli MP 95 any day lol.

May Peace Travel With You
~Astral

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I have a matched set of 1911A colt 45s that I have had and shot for over 30 years and I dont have any problem with the kick, it has a little but it hardly kicks like a mule.

I for one would rather have the 45 in any life and death situation.

That is where I can only have a pistol. Only in the movies does one man with a pistol take out a dozen men with assult rifles

[edit on 12-8-2004 by Amuk]

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 06:59 PM
link   
The 9mm is adequate for stopping power, double tap someone in the chest and they will go down.

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Ye olde Colt .45 has a slide on it that kicks like Jet Li. While the 9mm has a much less powerful kickback. This allows someone without a lot of arm strength to pull off more shots and fatigues you less durring a firefight.

Yes but this also allows the person your shooting at to shoot back at you because he wont go down as quickly. Also a 9mm will not do squat unless even the most weak body armor available a .45 will penetrate some forms of body armor. If cops are so weak that they cant shoot a .45 then they might as well be issued a slingshot for a weapon.

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I have shot both and for me the 1911 wins hands down.

It might be personal preferince but none the less I like it much better.

It has less bullets but with it you dont need as many.

Some on else mentioned that it wasnt very accurate after 20 yards but most of the time a pistol is used at pretty much point blank range

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Squid

One reason. NATO.

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

One reason. NATO.

That would be the only one I could see IMO the 9mm is not even in the same leauge as the 45

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
I know why they are doing this female soldiers they have to make weapons less powerful because the girls complain it well they should not be in the army if they cant take the recoil of a .45 they did this with the police in the US too.

Women are not the reason. Commonality with NATO is the reason. Furthermore, UNLIKE the 5.56 vs 7.62 debate, in this case the smaller bullet has sufficient killing power at realistic ranges to merit the choosing of a lighter and more compact munition. I might mention that very few troops are armed with 9mms anyway.

Women are a whole other issue for the military. In theory, segregated female combat units are a reasonable idea- especially as reserve units. The primary concern is discipline, and this is a concern which has been proven valid in Iraq. Women on extended deployments seem to get pregnant a lot- sometimes not of their own free will. Sexual distraction is the same reason we don't allow homosexuals in the military. It is a valid concern.

The secondary reason is that biologically speaking, women generally do not have as lean a body composition as men, as well as weaker bone structure, especially as they progress in age. This is of course a bad excuse in the current military, since minimum physical standards are 1/5 (or less) of what they should be.

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Nice assessment, Vagabond.

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by PublicGadfly
Glocks new 45

I am usually leary of new cartridges for defensive arms. It is why I have focussed on the 9mm. It is an effective round (yes, I have read the thread, but the 9mm is the most widely used military and defensive round in the world and has been for about 75 years.) and it is cheap and widely available. This is especially important to those who like to practice a lot and who like to stockpile ammunition for those little emergencies.
So, I was glad to see the new Glock .45 is available in the USA line.

On the other hand, it is nice when your caliber of choice has plenty of military surplus on the open market. In combat, "it is the hits that count."

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 11:23 PM
link   

What I am really pissed off about is that America's Army replaced their sidearm from the Colt 1911 .45 ACP to the Beretta 9mm!! The Colt fires a .45 round that is FAR more powerful than the pussy 9mm round, yet they still replace it with the Beretta 9mm? They must be pritty stupid to do such a thing!! If they wanted to kill a man, why replace a gun that fires a more powerful with one that fires a less powerful one?? I mean sure a beretta can hold more rounds in a magazine, but the colt can still hold a fair amount (7 shots, 8 at the absolute maximum) and the .45 ACP is more powerful that the 9mm, so the colt is pritty well off...

If anyone can give me some idea why they changed this great designed gun (Colt 1911) for a less powerful and not as well designed gun (Beretta 9mm).... I would be greatful

the number one reaswon why, is cuz if your friend is standing directly behind the enemy and u shot the enemy not only would u kill the 'bad guy' you would also kil your friend.

America's army is already having trouble with friendly fire, this is simply to decrease friendly fire

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I carry a Beretta .40 s&w. It uses the same frame as the 9mm it has almost the same stopping power as the 45 with much less kick.

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
I carry a Beretta .40 s&w. It uses the same frame as the 9mm it has almost the same stopping power as the 45 with much less kick.

A very good choice and this is reflected in the way the .40 cal. has swept law enforcement since its introduction.

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 01:53 AM
link   
I think women get a different version of the ceramic bulletproof vest. I may be wrong but i think they would need something a little more curved the DD's get in the way. Is this true or do i need to shut up?

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Yes but this also allows the person your shooting at to shoot back at you because he wont go down as quickly. Also a 9mm will not do squat unless even the most weak body armor available a .45 will penetrate some forms of body armor. If cops are so weak that they cant shoot a .45 then they might as well be issued a slingshot for a weapon.

The .45ACP is no better at pentrating body armour(and probably worst) when compared to 9mm. The larger diameter and slower speeds reduce it's pentrating capacity. In reality most pistol calibers are poor performers in the AP department, especially those with hard armour inserts.

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 07:11 AM
link   
The .45 caliber bullet will give a person more sting or more trauma when it hits their armor. The 9mm will not give as much of a kick to a person if they are wearing Body armor as the colt will.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join