It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are the India and Burma Plates about ready to Snap again or worse?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 03:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Anmarie96

This is Mr. Lee here;

On Saturday November 20, 2010 between 4:30pm and 6:35pm Halemaumau crater at Hawaii Volcano's National Park on the Big Island of Hawaii will erupt with explosive force.

First sign:
1. Heavy rain fall at Halemaumau crater on Wednesday November 17, 2010.

2. Second sign on Thursday November 18, 2010 hundreds of small quakes will be registered at Halemaumau crater.

3.. Park Rangers will witness on Friday November 19, 2010 six rainbows on the Eastern Rim of Halemaumau crater.

4. On Saturday November 20 2010 the eruption will take place in the afternoon towards evening.

5. Halemaumau crater will fill up with lava and pour out by December to the East moving over the Saddle Road
heading towards the capital city on the Big Island of Hawaii known as Hilo.

6. This lava will strike Hilo by Decemder 25, 2010 unless the lava is stopped . Only one way "kuliana".

(This prediction made on Friday October 29, 2010 at 10:41;35 pm Hawaii time.)

Michael Kumukauoha Lee
Ewa Beach Oahu, Hawaii

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 04:37 AM
link   
I've seen in a documentary a little after the big tsunami that the volt line that moved like a meter of ocean floor straight up for thousands of mils stopped abrupt, leaving the northern volt line in tact. According to the narrator that part is now under massive amounts of strain and should be giving in in the near future.

I don't know the effects on lake Toba, but as the giant magma chamber fills up it should be noticeable by the entire area to rise up. Something that can easily be measured by satellites.

Is there anyone that can show us satellite data of Lake Toba. I assume the lake is an area of interest ever since it was discovered to be a super volcano.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 04:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

did a google search "satellite data of lake toba"

1st link

www.andaman.org...

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by berkeleygal

Took a look at that link, if only everything relating to volcano's/earthquakes was so simply explained

Thanks for that.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Nice observations, Annmarie

Will be watching, now that our aftershocks have quietened for a bit!

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by boo1981

The Smithsonian maintains a pretty good database of volcanic activity. If you navigate around in its Global Volcanism Program website you can find quite a lot of info, including monthly summaries in the archive section. The above link takes you to the weekly activity report for 13-19 October 2010, which seems a good place to start.

Other matters:

I'd have to agree with the OP that the situation in Indonesia is worrying. While there are often several volcanoes active there at any one time, it's unusual to see alerts released or upgraded on so many volcanoes (and over such a large region) all at once.

I'm also disturbed by the news from "True American" that there are possible harmonic tremors at Toba. If that thing blows up then all bets are off. At the very least, even if we don't consider its possible knock-on seismic/tectonic effects (which could be massive), its potential climate change impact could have catastrophic consequences. I'm sure that we'd all appreciate any update info from the research that's being done on this right now -- or even a new thread devoted to it if that's the better way to get the analyses into members' hands.

I have nothing but respect for members like the OP and others in this thread who have done their homework and are trying to present reasonable and balanced concepts or opinions. It's far, far better and infinitely more valuable than some of the tripe that we find on ATS where frankly rather ignorant or naive people post "doom and gloom" nonsense on the basis of what they read in the tabloid press or find in one deranged person's latest youtube offering. Such garbage adds nothing to the body of knowledge and just needlessly frightens those who know little or nothing about the subject.

Even though we also discuss some rather horrific scenarios, at least we consider them from the perspective of what is known to be possible on the basis of either historical evidence or reasonable deduction. Yes, OP, you are perfectly correct that this is not posting hysterical "gloom-and-doom": it is instead a realistic look at what are deeply troubling events -- even for seasoned scientists in the field. And when the scientists start getting worried, then it's wise to sit up and take notice -- and that's what you are doing.

Thank you.

Mike
edit on 30/10/10 by JustMike because: Typos. Always the typos.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Looking at the map of the current and past quakes in the general area of which you linked to, it would give rise to the notion that there perhaps may be a Mega-thrust in the area leading to a Mega-Quake. Being the curious person I am by nature, I wonder if the recent activity in the Indonesian area could be linked to the Dec.21, 2012 event? Or, could it be that an unknown force coming from outer space is acting on the Earth's gravity and creating the perfect setup that the 2012'ers have been cautioning about for many years now? Just a guess.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   
As it goes - Krakatau alert level also raised to alert level 2. Here's the latest from John Search:

Saturday 30th October 2010
Merapi Volcano, Indonesia
An eruption occurred at Merapi volcano, Indonesia at 1:00 am this morning. Two people were taken to hospital with injuries. Merapi volcano has killed 34 people since it began erupting on Tuesday. There is a 10 km exclusion zone around the volcano, and 47,000 people have been evacuated. Between midday and 6pm yesterday the seismic activity was high at the volcano and 97 earthquake avalanches recorded, bringing the total to 285 since the start of the eruption. Three pyroclastic flows were recorded with a runout distance of 1 km.

Saturday 30th October 2010
Krakatau Volcano, Indonesia
Activity has increased at Krakatau volcano, Indonesia. Over the past 4 days there has been an increase in explosions at the volcano. Yesterday there were 136 eruptions at the volcano, compared to a recent average of 10 per day. Krakatau volcano has been raised to level 2 alert.

Source

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
This could get interesting what with obama's supposed trip to mumbai in the coming week?

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Wow I just looked on the RSOE EDIS Alert map and the majority of the volcanos are erupting along the plate. Even Krakatau is stirring.

The Anak Krakatau volcano located along the Sunda Strait produced 117 small eruptions on Thursday.

hisz.rsoe.hu...

This could be bad. Wish I knew more about this subject. Time to educate myself!

Peace.
ALS

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

I repeat. NO harmonic tremors have been detected at Toba. At least not by me or PuterMan, that is.

Basically what happened is that I was receiving smaller quakes from the recent 7.7 quake area. Because these particular quakes look different than most, in that they are long and drawn out, much like real big quakes, the teleseisisms were appearing like HT's.

But since I have confirmed these events are quakes at a closer station that I didn't even know existed until I really went looking. It is station PS.KSI. It is very close to the epicenters of this new rupture area west of Sumatra, and tells the tale of what has been happening there much better than any other station so far.

This is a frisky little station that doesn't show up as existing at all in many places, including GEE and the IRIS central server. (Yeah, have a go at THAT, PuterMan, hehe- it's freaky, this station- Vase/IRIS/QuakeData will not pull this station at all or find it.) It happened to be down (it appears) on the 25th when the big quake struck, and was having trouble previous to that. But it came back online right after, on the 26th.

And so from the 26th on, one can see the many aftershocks that have been happening, way beyond what the USGS has been reporting.

Click the green square across from KSI on whichever day you want to see, to open up the seismographs (webicorder type).

www.jamstec.go.jp...

So PuterMan that 5.0 I had real questions about turned out to be two quakes back to back, as you can see from the graphs at around 18:07 on the 29th.

As to Krakatau, I am surprised none of you have mentioned the quake that just happened on the Sunda Strait, close to it.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

But this may mean nothing, because a quick glance at the historic seismicity, and pff, the place is a quake magnet!

neic.usgs.gov...

There may be some connection between the subduction zone and the volcanoes in this case, however. The volcanoes seem to go off historically after big quakes. Krakatau did last time in 1883. And now Merapi did as well.

But I will give every bit of credit to the volcanologists in Jakarta. They predicted the eruption of Merapi almost to the day, with two days solid warning, and evacuations right on time. People still died, like they always will, but it is real testament to the progress science has made with volcanoes- and one cannot dismiss the many more lives that were just saved because of it!
edit on Sat Oct 30th 2010 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
In light of this recent activity causing me to once again think about Toba, I went in search of info to refresh my memory of its potential. I almost wish I hadn't. I am not trying to imply that I think it is going to errupt, only that we should all be aware of what could happen if it did....given what is going on all around it right now.

For me, the best way to grasp something is by comparisons with known events. So here is a short run down on the magnetude of Toba: The last erruption at Toba is estimated to have been around 67,000 to 75,000 years ago. Scientists have deduced that the total amount of erupted material was about 2,800 km3 (670 cu mi). What exactly does that mean, you ask? Well consider this: It was about three times the size of the latest Yellowstone eruption of Lava Creek 630,000 years ago and most amazing to me is that the 1980 eruption of Mount St. Helens in Washington State only ejected around 1.2 km3 (0.29 cu mi) of material. Think about that. I was in Yakima, Washington when Helens erupted (9 yrs old) and it seemed like the end of the world. Helen's only ejected a small fraction of what Toba is capable of. That is hard to grasp...absolutely terrifying.

What I come away with from this read is that even a small eruption by Toba standards could be a climate changing event and a large one would be...well..no one really knows I don't think. In the least it would wipe out millions in that region and change the temp by several degress globally.

For this potential reason alone, I think it wise that anything abnormal occuring anywhere near Toba be closely monitored by all. Not to suggest that we all freak out and scream the end of the world, but just what this thread is doing; educate and watch.

For more info and for my source, check out THIS link.
edit on 30-10-2010 by westcoast because: to add link

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

If you want one of the best I've ever seen about megavolcanoes, check out this thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Entertaining, educational, and scary, all at once.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I find it interesting that before the quake and tsunami hit a show on syfy channel calle Sanctuary had an episode about a quake and following tsunami near india. I always find coincidences like that very entertaining.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Thank you for the posts and work on this topic. I don't post much anymore, but I do read alot. Definitly something going on and I have had the same feelings for some time. I can sense the eq's before they happen, however, never been able to get a feel of where. For the last month I keep having the same recurring feelings that don't really go away and it is quite bothersome. Keeping an eye on this topic and the area for sure!

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Thanks a lot!!!

I figured I'd skim over it, but once I started watching it I couldn't stop. Very well done and man is that scary. I hadn't considered before that geologically speaking, scientists don't consider the most recent eruption of Yellowstone as a mega event, so they go back to the one 640,000 years ago. That means she is aobut 40,000 years overdue. Makes all the activity there in recent years even more alarming.

Now Toba is even more terrifying. I'll feel better once the tectonic activity quiets down and all those other darn volcanos surrounding stop burping!!!

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   

couldend agree with you moore anmarie...good thinking starting this thread....:-)
i've always had an bad feeling about that airea ..keep toba in mind..

nice reading site.. www.andaman.org...

edit on 30-10-2010 by ressiv because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-10-2010 by ressiv because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 10:46 PM
link   
This figure, from the NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, shows plate boundaries in light blue, measured earthquakes in yellow dots, and recently active volcanoes in red triangles. India doesn't seem in immediate danger except in the Northern Himalayan regions. Yes, Burma may be in line for some fireworks in the future!

Courtersy: Kari Hetcher and Scott Hughes

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   

No you are absolutely right with your concerns. In fact it is quite logic. The tectonic plate(s) along a coastline are not independent from each other. We better be prepare to see major disasters by volcanoes in that region.

Let’s just hope(and pray lol) that you are “wrong” about Toba though.

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Krakatau erupted last night... (our time)

itn.co.uk...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join