It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hollow Earth possible?? more space on inside than out for sure?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Hollow no, but there is certainly enough room to dig some mighty big holes without anyone knowing. If we wanted to we could hide a building as large as the largest buildings on earth and I think that's the real issue here.

There are certainly some major bases underground around the world that we don't know about, and in Europe there are tunnels built inside mountains for auto/train transport as well as fallout shelters. It doesn't take much imagination to believe there might be something more significant that we are not publicly aware of.

[edit on 28-9-2004 by outsider]

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Hollow my ear...........

www.mindtoysrus.com...

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Instead of outright saying no, it's not possible, please give me solid evidence that the earth is hollow. We have mapped pretty much the entire earths surface using satelllite imaging etc etc and explored most of it (excluding the oceans). So assuming there WAS an entry, it would have to be under the ocean as satellites have not picked up any gaping holes on land, in which case, the earth wouldn't REALLY be hollow... it would be full of saltwater (?)

And if it was hollow, there must be EXTREME pressure to prevent the earth from collapsing, in which case, would not any hole punched through to this hollow section result in a cataclysmic implosion? Also, how do you account for the earth's mass if there is this great big lump of molten metal missing from the middle?

posted on Sep, 28 2004 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by LordGoofus
Instead of outright saying no, it's not possible, please give me solid evidence that the earth is hollow. We have mapped pretty much the entire earths surface using satelllite imaging etc etc and explored most of it (excluding the oceans). So assuming there WAS an entry, it would have to be under the ocean as satellites have not picked up any gaping holes on land, in which case, the earth wouldn't REALLY be hollow... it would be full of saltwater (?)

And if it was hollow, there must be EXTREME pressure to prevent the earth from collapsing, in which case, would not any hole punched through to this hollow section result in a cataclysmic implosion? Also, how do you account for the earth's mass if there is this great big lump of molten metal missing from the middle?

Since when does the US Gov let anyone know the truth? Are you sure you are allowed to see all the satilite images, and the Gov hides nothing?

www.mindtoysrus.com...

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Doesn't seismography show that there are different layers in the earth and that there is a solid core? I'm not an expert on seismography, but I think it can be used to probe the inside of the earth. How do scientists know what is in the core of the earth?

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Since when does the US Gov let anyone know the truth? Are you sure you are allowed to see all the satilite images, and the Gov hides nothing?

I hope you aren't taking my comments as personal attacks
Just giving my opinion. The reason why I believe the satellite imagery is not "false", is that if it was, that would mean "they", whoever that is would also have to be censoring every exploration mission from every country to every part of the world, all tourism, all television documentaries, all encylopedias (sp?), and all explorers would have to have been paid off or otherwise blackmailed into only reporting what "they" want us to hear.

In other words, "they" would need to know EXACTLY what every single person in the world was upto in realtime, in order to know who was planned an expedition to say, antartica, who was taking a photograph of a certain location, or a videoclip etc etc...

posted on Sep, 30 2004 @ 04:03 PM
link   
The earth isn't hollow. This can be seen from the propagation of earthquakes and seismic waves by measuring their intensity at several points around the globe. The k wave can actually travel around the earth several times. The measurments indicate a viscous medium with a density matching that of lava, surrounding something that is solid. Seems pretty sound science to me. However, it certainly is possible that a civilization could have evolved underground in a system of caverns. The only problems with that is the lack of air down there, without a connection to the surface, and the fact that even though for the first kilometer or so of the crust the temperature undeground drops pretty quickly and humidity rises, after that it starts picking up pretty quickly. I'm not a geologist though, so I might be off.

Ut

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by All Seeing Eye

If you always fall back on the "The authorities only tell you what they want you to know" argument, then there's no point in ever debating any issues. You won't believe that anyone else can back up anything they say, and you shouldn't believe you can back up anything you say. There's no reason to trust any sources.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I just rented a "documentary" on this very subject. I really enjoyed it. It had James Mason and Pat Boone in it. OOPS !!! That was Journey to the Center Of The Earth by Jules Verne.
Actually, when I think of a hollow earth, it brings to mind that hollow chocolate Easter candy. They crush almost by themselves. What would a small meteor do to a Hollow earth? Or what about the Siberian Monster (Meteor?) of 1908? If hollow, that one should have made this planet an Asteroid Belt.

Ut

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 11:49 AM
link   
The Tunguska object -- thought to be a small comet fragment, something less natural depending on who you listen to -- never impacted the ground. It exploded in flight.

So, if that could have shattered the Earth -- and I'm not saying it could, since it didn't impact -- then every nuclear bomb test ever performed should have torn our world apart.

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 10:45 AM
link   
if the hollow earth is true then start digging. no one is stopping you.

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shifter X
Hollow Earth? No. For the many scientific reasons given here already.
However, the possibility of a complex systems of large underground caverns capable of sustaining some inhabitants (for AD&D fans, think of the Underdark) is possible in theory. Most of the Earths fresh water supply is contained in underground water tables. As for food, a variety of moss, lichens and mushrooms can be grown underground without the necessity of photo-synthesis, and would be suitable for feeding animals which could then be used as food. With food, water and shelter available, you can sustain life. I'm not saying I embrace this theory, I'm only saying it is within the realm of scientific possibility. As far as how many people you could support, I have no idea. I would need more data.

Isn't one of the byproducts of photo-synthesis oxygen? Plants turn carbon dioxide to oxygen and help sustain our ~17% oxygen we need to survive. Without sunlight, plants would not fare very well, at least not the kind we rely on for air. We can survive on less than 17% (less than 8% I think) but the point is it would eventually be depleted. Their underground civilization would require some sort of huge exhaust exchange system with the surface, or maybe some machinery like in the Matrix movies.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 08:00 PM
link   
The gravity argument is good, but the seismic evidence is better and overwhelming. If the earth were hollow, it would still be possible for compressional waves (P waves) to travel through the interior, but NOT shear waves (S waves) or surface waves, both of which are commonly recorded around the world. Unless you can invent/postulate the hollow earth being filled with a fluid which has rigidity, a 'hollow' earth is simply not possible.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 08:05 PM
link   
sorry,

should have said if the 'hollow' earth were filled with air of some sort

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by pnpgsnlg
sorry,

should have said if the 'hollow' earth were filled with air of some sort

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------WHO, say the air inside ; your physic now is (minable) ; go far a way in

the Past , Present , Future , GO IN NOT TIME.

Forget the phisic in the Earth--- try an other good luck chapo

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 04:51 PM
link   
If space isn't void, why isn't the earth hollow? A block of totally frozen matter would be as hollow as totally empty space, because nothing changes in there, no changes of state take place. So, if the interior of the earth is simpler than the surface (like a monotonous flow of molten iron is simpler than a colony of ants), in that sense the interior of the earth is more hollow than the surface. This is obvious.

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I'm not saying I think that it is true but saying it is not possible as many of you are, is like saying that you, we, humankind, understand everything.

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 07:17 PM
link   
It appears to me that most of the debunking posts here are assuming that the statement that the Earth is hollow is referring to something like a soccer ball where it is a thin shell surrounding nothing but air. I don't think that is what is suggested. More like a solid one with air pockets.

I have no idea personally but I believe it is possible that there could be large underground areas. Maybe it also possible that beings live there. I haven't looked myself so I can't say it isn't true.

When I listen to theories like this I think them pretty unlikely, but unless I see proof otherwise I have to remain open to the possibility at least. I always think of the theories or facts from our history that have changed over time. e.g. We were the only planet around and now they are finding them. We wouldn't have room on the forum for a thread about scientific fact that has changed or been disproven over the years.

A couple of points with this debate:

The first I won't reference. I have heard it from a friend, I think I found something about it on the net, but can't remember where. So take it with a grain of salt!

Scientists dropped two long cables down a vertical mining shaft that went several thousand feet deep. Assuming gravity is at the core of our planet the two "bottom" end should be closer together. They weren't, they were further apart. They calculated a point off the planet.

Actually after a quick search here is a site for it www.s-line.de.... Haven't looked through it yet, maybe they explain why it happens there.

However if you really believe in hollow earth theory, you can go have a look for yourself.

www.expeditioncompany.net...

Must admit I'd go if I had the money. Whatever you found it would be a pretty amazing trip, I reckon. Only $26000, and that is probably American dollars making it more like fifty grand for me. I guess I'll just wait for the movie.
Until then despite what I think is the likely answer to the "hollow earth", I'll keep at least a part of my mind open to the possibility.

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Sorry, I don't follow this ..."If space isn't void, why isn't the earth hollow? A block of totally frozen matter would be as hollow as totally empty space, because nothing changes in there, no changes of state take place".

Heat flow studies have repeatedly shown us that the heat flow flux (positive outward towards the surface) of the earth is highly variable averaging higher over the oceans than most continental areas. Most likely this is from the radioactive decay of radium, potassium, and thorium in the mantle which leads to convective mass transfer ... and the movement of plates. Pretty much why we have earthquakes. Lots of changes in state involved.

Seismology also tells us a lot about the interior of the earth, both its mechanical and chemical properties. Tutorials are available all over the internet.

Another thing I don't understand ... "Assuming gravity is at the core of our planet. Gravity is NOT at the core. It is a rather simple function of mass and distance. Lower a gravimeter down a shaft or bore hole and the gravity recorded is determined by the mass in all directions...the rocks to the side, the rocks above and those below.

I have no comments regarding 'people' living in the interior of the earth. Not my field.

Hey, give me some good stuff to go on. Cast some real doubt and I'll have to spend a day or so sending emails to my former students. Most are in industry but the better part of a dozen are professors. Gotta make sure they are teaching the right stuff.

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by pnpgsnlg
Another thing I don't understand ... "Assuming gravity is at the core of our planet.

There is nothing strange in it. Mechanics is being taught by introducing the idea of a material point. People who don�t pay much attention to the physics commonly misunderstand everything and presume that the mass is concentrated at a tiny point within the center of an object.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join