It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Egyptian priest’s tomb unearthed in Giza

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d0ae4c531dfc.jpg[/atsimg]
The shadow of Egyptian antiquities chief Zahi Hawass is seen at a mural inside the newly discovered tomb that belonged to Rudj-ka, a priest who headed the mortuary cult of the pharaoh Khafre, at the site of the Giza Pyramids in Cairo, Egypt.

October 21, 2010

Archaeologists have unearthed a 4,500-year-old tomb of an Egyptian priest which they believe could mark a completely “new-to-science” necropolis, or the city of the dead, in the land of pyramids.
The beautifully decorated the burial site, found close to the tombs of pyramid builders in Giza, belonged to Rudj-Ka, a priest who lived during the Fifth Dynasty (2465-2323 B.C.) and was responsible for the mortuary cult of the pharaoh Khafre, also known as Chephren.
Zahi Hawass, secretary general of Egypt’s Supreme Council of Antiquities, said the discovery indicates that an unknown larger necropolis may lie near the three famous pyramids.

“This tomb could be the first of many in the area. Hopefully we have located a new necropolis dedicated to certain members of the royal court,” Mr. Hawass was quoted as saying by LiveScience.

www.thehindu.com...

Khafra (Greek, Χεφρήν; Chephren) — also Khafre — was an Egyptian pharaoh of the Fourth dynasty, who had his capital at Memphis. According to some authors he was the son and successor of Khufu, but it is more commonly accepted that Djedefre was Khufu's successor and Khafra was Djedefre's. Khafra's two chief wives were Queen Meresankh III whose mastaba tomb is located at Giza and Queen Khamaerernebty I who was the mother of his successor, Menkaura. Khafre was the builder of the second largest pyramid in the Giza Necropolis complex (his is 3 metres shorter than Khufu's). Most modern egyptologists also credit him with the building of the Great Sphinx.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b0284f619236.jpg[/atsimg]

en.wikipedia.org...

Another amazing discovery at Giza, there must be much more that they are not releasing to the public, they seem to take their time.

As Hawass mentions that this discovery indicates that may find larger necropolis in the other pyramids, since everything is closed now to most researchers and archaeologists we have no way of knowing if others have been discovered, having said that this is still a wonderful discovery.

Egyptologists also credit Khafra with the building of the Great Sphinx, that is another speculation where there is no proof, but then it's possible.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aquarius1
Another amazing discovery at Giza, there must be much more that they are not releasing to the public, they seem to take their time.

One of my neighbours just returned from Egypt. He says that there is a top dog in charge of all the press releases about artifacts found and apparently he is a bit of a control freak. Also he has declared a fair few areas of interest 'off limits' but my neighbour slipped the guide a few notes and he showed him the forbidden zones.

edit on 28-10-2010 by Wide-Eyes because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
To add just a bit more to your post, here, Rudj-ka is not the kind of priest we would see today in churches. He was an official who tended to the shrine and oversaw the offerings. I can't see any hieroglyphs clearly in the photos, but I believe he was a hem netjer -- roughly translated as "servant of the god" (and "god" here means Khufu as Osiris (we would say "the spirit of the dead king, Khufu" -- not an EXACT translation here, but close enough for modern understanding.)

There's a gold ring around somewhere of a priest from a much later time who is also known as a "Hem netjer."

There were several classes of priests, and each one specialized in things. "Lector priests" (kher heb) were responsible for reading prayers and sacred texts within the temples. This was for the temple and by the temple -- people weren't called in to worship on certain days, because to live was to worship. The gods were part of everything in their lives and they didn't need to go to a temple or listen to lectures.
www.touregypt.net...

The necropolis extension is a new find, so they don't know the exact dimensions of the new area or who or what is buried there. Excavation will take decades (20-30 years) and they will probably find tombs of other priests assigned to the kings who built the pyramids.

The position may reflect a certain date -- in other words, those who lived and died within a hundred year period of the building of the pyramids may all be buried in the necropolis they've already found and these new tombs may date from a much later time.

Excavation and preparation and study isn't a quick thing. It can take years to excavate a site and years to glue all the pieces of the material together. You might announce individual finds (like the painted murals) but the actual report on what's there won't be done until after everything's been uncovered and repaired and labeled and interpreted... and that takes a LOT of time. I'd expect 5 years before we see a final report, unless the place had been looted and trashed in antiquity. Then we'd see a report within a year.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Wide-Eyes

That would be Egyptian antiquities chief Zahi Hawass, he is very loyal and doesn't want to believe that anything on the Giza Plateau may have been created by anyone other then the Egyptians. I will give him credit in that he does everything possible to protect their finds.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

Thanks Aquarius1
I knew somebody here would know the guy I mentioned.

When you say ''not accredited to the Egyptians'', who else would finds be attributed to?

Sorry, I paraphrased there

edit on 28-10-2010 by Wide-Eyes because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

The necropolis extension is a new find, so they don't know the exact dimensions of the new area or who or what is buried there. Excavation will take decades (20-30 years) and they will probably find tombs of other priests assigned to the kings who built the pyramids.

I guess I get impatient, know it takes a long time to find these treasures, time is running out in that I more then likely won't be here in 20-30 years.:

Thank you so much for the information you added Byrd, you always bring much to my threads and it is always appreciated.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wide-Eyes

Thanks Aquarius1

Zahi Hawass is the shadow that of the picture I posted, methinks he ruined an otherwise beautiful picture.

When you say ''not accredited to the Egyptians'', who else would finds be attributed to?

There are some researchers and archaeologists who think that the Pyramids and the Sphinx are thousands of years older and may have been built by some other civilization. There is also speculation that they could have been built by extra-terrestrials which I don't buy into/

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Zahi Hawass is the shadow that of the picture I posted, methinks he ruined an otherwise beautiful picture.

I agree

There are some researchers and archaeologists who think that the Pyramids and the Sphinx are thousands of years older and may have been built by some other civilization. There is also speculation that they could have been built by extra-terrestrials which I don't buy into/

Thank you for the reply. I wonder about these things too. I have heard theories that the Sphinx may be as old as 10,000BC. I have not researched these theories a great deal because of all the mis/dis-information but if you could throw some links my way I would be very grateful

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Here are some links that may help plus they are great reading..

There are numerous links on this page that may interest you.

www.grahamhancock.com...

You may want to check out this forum right here on ATS, Scott Creighton has brought some amazing information to us and he has his own forum.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
i was sure i saw a thread on here today that said there was a flood on giza lately. dont quote me on that tho.
would be weird tho

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carbon_Fingerprints
i was sure i saw a thread on here today that said there was a flood on giza lately. dont quote me on that tho.
would be weird tho

I think the thread was about the possibility of a flood that could wipe away all the hard work that has been accomplished by archaeologists in some areas of Europe, don't quote me but I believe it was something to that effect.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Thank you, I will have a good look through that site.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 04:50 AM
link   

I dont trust Hawass one bit, everytime i see his name or his influence in something i kringe. To be honest i am sick of hearing his name and the fact he has complete control over the ancient Egyption sites and temples. One man has control over who and when someone can visit and research and now the majority of new finds are compelety closed off and restricted. So that begs the question, what is he hiding.

He is the biggest debunker of Egyptian theories that are alternative to the mainstream. I dont like him and dont believe one man should have the final say on who can research archiological sites.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Yeah as per my post above that top dog is Hawass, he controls all the entry to Giza. there may be board of people but in the end he is the top dog.

I dont quite know why, there are many other people just a qualified if not better equipped and qualified to research in Egypt.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

There was a big to do about Zawi Hawass retiring last Spring, it looks like that was all it is, as he didn't really retire it seems, he isn't really a researcher, he's a controller, kind of like a press secretary who puts out the news when if he thinks appropriate, of course only the news he wants us to hear.

This link tells all about his so called retirement:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wide-Eyes

Thanks Aquarius1

Ha! Yeah he does that a lot!

There are some researchers and archaeologists who think that the Pyramids and the Sphinx are thousands of years older and may have been built by some other civilization.

Indeed. The Sphinx is most definitely of extreme age, at least 10 or 12,000 years old... this is clearly shown by its being quite water weathered. Naturally there are debunkers, but, seriously, it's right there in front of your face, so, yeah. This was first noted by a good friend of mine, (and occasional mentor as needed), John Anthony West and confirmed by Boston geologist Dr Robert Schoch, who I've talked with.

As for the pyramids, I personally feel that at least the big ones are of that age as well. It is logical. The extreme sophistication is the key for me, as nearly all of the other ones are kind of... lesser in scope. Luxor and places similar are quite the breath-taking achievements as well. We are supposed to believe that all this popped up out of nowhere and then the civilization gradually declined.

That is patently silly. The "start" of the Egypt we see was I fully believe the remnants of the tail end of a previous and highly sophisticated civilization, of which Giza is a last vestige. As John's fond of saying, "Egyptian civilization was not a development, it was a legacy." To me, it just seems, well, obvious.

I'm not much for the alien bit... they could well have visited and even hung out, but I also do not feel that they built these things. They were built by the Egyptians... the original Egyptians... for that is who I see them as. As for JAW on aliens, well, a good while ago he coined the term "Sitchininny," so...

Those thoughts also make me wonder about Hawass... I mean, really, if his civilization was proven beyond doubt to be that old and that sophisticated, wouldn't there be even more untold pride in what he's overseeing and holding so dear? By the way, I'm told that Zahi is a good drinking buddy, regardless of highly charged differences otherwise. Strange...

Great thread, thanks for making it, and to Byrd for that great info and the nice link... good show.

Peace,
Pixel
edit on 10/29/2010 by PixelDuster because: ain't tellin'

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by PixelDuster

Indeed. The Sphinx is most definitely of extreme age, at least 10 or 12,000 years old... this is clearly shown by its being quite water weathered. Naturally there are debunkers, but, seriously, it's right there in front of your face, so, yeah. This was first noted by a good friend of mine, (and occasional mentor as needed), John Anthony West and confirmed by Boston geologist Dr Robert Schoch, who I've talked with.

Yes I agree that there is overwhelming evidence that the Sphinx is at least 10 to 12,000 years, in fact it could be older then that as they cannot carbon date stone, I know who John Anthony West is and have followed his work and that his conclusions are based on the climate in that area 10 to 12,000 years ago, it was not a desert. If I am not mistaken Mr. West as been shut out and not allowed to do research and digs in the area now.

Lucky you in that you know John Anthony West, have you ever met Graham Hancock who supports his work?

As for the pyramids, I personally feel that at least the big ones are of that age as well. It is logical. The extreme sophistication is the key for me, as nearly all of the other ones are kind of... lesser in scope. Luxor and places similar are quite the breath-taking achievements as well. We are supposed to believe that all this popped up out of nowhere and then the civilization gradually declined.

The age of the pyramid you speak of could certainly be that age or older, my personal feeling it could be older then the Sphinx, why would they build it first, just a question and speculation. Zahi Hawass is a piece of work in my opinion, my feeling is there is evidence that a different' civilization may have built the pyramids and Sphinx and because of this selfish arrogant nature doesn't want the world to know. Hopefully one day he will be gone and someone will take over who is honest, it seems history is hidden and covered up at every turn.

Thank you for posting.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Hi Aquarius1. I love to see Egyptian antiquities being discovered. I'm pretty sure that in the coming years great quantities of antiques will be found.

Here is a very interesting YouTube video by Patrick Geyrl on Project Camelot that perked up my attention about Egypt, about the famous labyrinth being discovered. I think you might enjoy it.

www.youtube.com...

The Egyptian Labyrinth discovery starts at about the 20 minute mark, but the stuff leading up to it is also interesting, so you might want to listen to this mans whole incredible story.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by RussianScientists

Hello my friend, nice to see you, glad to know that ancient archaeology interest you, it it one of my passions.

I will go to the Camelot site and download the audio, I have a major problem with Kerry but will try to get through the interview, I have written that site off for most part, Bill Ryan is alright, thank you so much for the heads up on this interview, will let you know I think when time permits for me to listen to it.

Cheers

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   

reply to post by PixelDuster

Indeed. The Sphinx is most definitely of extreme age, at least 10 or 12,000 years old... this is clearly shown by its being quite water weathered.

[...] it was not a desert. If I am not mistaken Mr. West as been shut out and not allowed to do research and digs in the area now. [...] have you ever met Graham Hancock who supports his work?

Indeed it was not a desert then! Anything but.

After his discovery for a bit, yeah, but not later. Actually John goes to Egypt 3 or 4 times a year giving decidedly non-standard tours, and has access to those closed areas, but he hasn't done any research work there for a good while. He's working on Gobekli Tepe now and has been off to Turkey for research... will be off there yet again shortly.

I've not yet had the pleasure of meeting Graham Hancock... someday maybe.

The age of the pyramid you speak of could certainly be that age or older, my personal feeling it could be older then the Sphinx, why would they build it first, just a question and speculation.

Could be. They were likely concurrent, I think. The facing on the pyramids was smooth as glass with no gap to speak of and would've resisted the weathering much more efficiently than the Sphinx would have.

Oh, by the way, if you take all the pyramids, as a whole, north to south... they make a star map!
Nifty, eh? Must try to remember that link...

Zahi Hawass is a piece of work in my opinion, my feeling is there is evidence that a different' civilization may have built the pyramids and Sphinx and because of this selfish arrogant nature doesn't want the world to know.

Yeah, he sure is... that's why my thoughts of him are so odd... as I was saying... it would seem to me that the 'different' civilization would be his civilization... and I think that is awesome. Why doesn't he get that I wonder... I hope he twigs that someday. He's odd, for sure.

Thank you for posting.

My pleasure, thanks again.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join