It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman Kills Baby For Interrupting Farmville Session

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   

A 22 year-old woman from Jacksonsville, Florida has pleaded guilty to killing her baby son over a game of...Farmville.

Alexandra V. Tobias says her three-month old child, Dylan Lee Edmondson, had been crying while she was trying to play the popular Facebook casual game.

Source: kotaku.com...

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I mean, some women aren't fit to be moms...

...this chronic FarmVille player is one of them.

Shaking a baby to death over a brief interruption of this farm interaction game interfaced on Facebook is not called for, but in this day and age, we just sweep it aside...

"FarmVille made me do it..." - Ms. Alexandra V. Tobias

Oh, really? Where's her responsibility for her actions and for her infant son?
edit on 28/10/2010 by ironfalcon because: Added content

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by ironfalcon

The fact that she shook her baby to death while playing farmville seems to be inconsequential, and does nothing but add a sense of drama to the sad story of premature death of a helpless baby at the hands of his mother.
There is so much crime reporting that readers may skim over a crime headline that seems mundane due to the desensitisation of the reader.

She killed her baby due to her inability to cope with the pressures of raising her child.
You are right she was probably not fit to be a mother, or at least not fit to be a good parent in the circumstances in which she found herself, of which we don't know much about.

A woman in the state of mind that would provoke her to shake her infant, causing his death was just one trigger away form committing the act that took her son's life, whether that was while she was playing farmville, cooking dinner of trying to sleep.

I feel sad for the death of this little boy, but farmville was not the cause, it was merely the trigger that resulted in an inevitable tragedy.
And it makes a much catchier headline than "Mother shakes baby causing his death"

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
... "Farmville made me do it"? Would a mother who loves her child say that? No, they wouldn't be able to even think of excuses like that. This will barely scrape her conscience.

I have one for you. Hardcore psych warfare made you do it. Ever notice it is almost always a baby boy who gets killed by the mother? Women are being bred to hate males by TPTB. You will see a lot more of these very soon. Mark my words.
edit on 28-10-2010 by sliceNodice because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   
UNBELIEVABLE!

My sister has two very young children and has been a Farmville addict for a while and it's not at all helping with her situation.. and then some people take it this far..

EMP, won't you come sometime soon?

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I love that people who cant be bothered to actual weeding or labor will spend countless hours doing virtual labor.

Im reminded of a Simpsons episode where Bart refused to do any yard work. Later, at some expo, he wouldnt stop playing the "Virtual Yard Work Simulator" game.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Well, how ironic, she will be cured of her Internet addiction AND rid of the pesky child all in one day!

She looks like she is a cold hearted insane cow in her pictures. Disgusting, poor little baby did not deserve that. You know she had access to birth control and abortion so this is simply unacceptable. I would say throw away the key if I were her judge and jury, the worthless cow.

Cow is merely a substitute for the c word I wanted to use here.

I do think Facebook and Farmville, under the umbrella of Internet Addiction caused this crazy cow to kill her infant. I believe but for the hold the addiction had on her maybe the child could have lived long enough to remain safe.

I used the net a lot when mine were babes, but I held them played with them and could confine my use to appropriate times.

Either we are to believe this mother is a sociapath whp would have killed regardless, or we entertain the notion a sick internet addiction caused her to kill the inconvenience that would not stop crying.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
This is why we need to make people fill out forms and apply to have a child.

Disgusting; nobody who is capable of that deserves children.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Addiction is an ugly truth that has ugly repercussions.

Just as Drug addicts can pimp out their children so that they can buy more drugs, just as an Alcoholic can physically abuse their entire family, just as a Gambling addict will put their family out on the street, so can a Gaming Addict.

Addiction is a mental illness, and having a mental illness doesn't prevent someone from committing an atrocious, unfathomable act such as killing their own flesh and blood.

This is a truly tragic event, that baby should have been loved and treasured, not beaten to death for doing what babies do (crying for attention). Although I would like to see this sorry excuse for a mother be sent to prison for the rest of her life I know that this is but a single example in a much bigger social problem, and that we do not recognize the signs of addiction and mental illness early enough to prevent tragedies like this from occurring in the first place.

Until we, as a society, can acknowledge and address addictive behavior (as to an addict, anything can become addictive, it's not Farmville that is to blame here as it could have easily been food, collecting coins, sex, or drugs) and provide the proper support and treatment to those who are mentally ill, this will not be the last time we have a headline such as this.

It is so very easy to point the finger and say "Bad mommy, sorry excuse for a human-being, go to jail you good-for-nothing who doesn't deserve to live" but there comes a point where we cannot so easily absolve ourselves of partially sharing the guilt as a society that failed this newborn child born to a mentally ill mother who had an addiction and needed treatment and help.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   
I can't believe this ,just so ridiculous,a game is more important than her child's life?

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   
I hate to admit this and this will offend many users on this site. This is America today people! A sad, sad place. Where young mothers who kill their children over a game.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   
22 years old. A child herself, most likely. The article mentions nothing of her support system nor her economical situation - I would guess that she did not have much of either - but that is just my guess. An all around, very sad situation. The baby did not have to die.

edit on 28-10-2010 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I never realized farmville was that action oriented that you have to be up on it so hard that you'd kill a baby for wasting your time.

Well heres hoping for ultra karmic justice!

ps: That lazy eye really sells the article.

Imagine if she played EverQuest or WoW? She'd murdered the neighborhood.
edit on 28-10-2010 by Lysergic because: lazy left eye lopez

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   
this is completely disgusting. Disgusting! I was sick and tired of the farmville addiction when my culinary arts teacher refused to TEACH OUR CLASS in favor of playing the game, but this is just way over the top.

Admittedly it's just a cop-out. She could have killed her kid over anything, whatever set her off, but the fact that the interruption of an online game would set you off to that point is just...

There should be some sort of mental evaluation you have to take before they send you home from the hospital with your child.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lafaso870
I can't believe this ,just so ridiculous,a game is more important than her child's life?

Well, she had to keep her addiction well fed, even at the cost to her three month old son.

Mental therapy would have been a suitable remedy, but noooo, she just loved FarmVille too much.

new topics

top topics

join