It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA's New Spaceship

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   

A SENIOR NASA official has promised to deliver a spaceship that will travel between alien worlds "within a few years".

Speaking at a conference in San Francisco on Saturday, NASA Ames director Simon Worden said his division had started a project with Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency called the "Hundred Year Starship”.

Read more at:
www.news.com.au...

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   
What I'm wondering is how they are even announcing this with so "little" funding. 1,100,000$? Maybe it is showing that this stuff is extremely cheap. That and they are talking about traveling "between worlds" like it is there destination. With Mars' first, who knows what we will find.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   
The person quoted is a moron? While I don't doubt that there are many advances in science that we don't know about, to relate the propulsion in this proposed ship as being "just a few years away from what we saw in Star Trek" is idiocy.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by kyle43

So all we had to do is produce crafts influenced from the Star Trek franchise? Terminator series I'm looking at you now!

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I am sure they have technology beyond belief in the works or even stuff that is currently working. I am very interested in what they have to offer down the road.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Rhadamanthus

I agree! One thing I believe a person can do is go in the U.S. Air Force. Study and learn to fly planes. Then later hopefully transfer to Area 51.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I cannot wait until we can travel to other star systems, or even mars for that matter.

The problem is not technology, it is all mental. Think about being trapped in a prison cell for 18+ months, with no outside time.

There was an interesting book called "packing for mars" that goes through all the mental issues of space flight. They talk about the inability to shower properly (after a week or so they can pull off parts of their fingers intact from all the dead skin) to the fact there is no personal time (if you get my drift.)

They say for the length to get to mars they should have open relationship bi sexuals. I know that sounds funny. Almost sounds like a space orgy.

But that way there will not be as much jealousy and hopefully less stress between the people.

Interesting book for sure.

Pred...

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
that sounds prity good i believe they have a few propolsion systems in the making ive been checking out some of thier new systems google some of these crafts out i dont now how true they are but hers a few tr3-b astra , tr3-a pumpkinseed , aurora sr-33a , lockheed-martins x-33a , taw-50 hypersonic antigravity fighter-bomber, theres a few more but when u start looking at these ones ull see the others, after reading about these i wouldnt be suprised there heading towards going to other planets

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

ion propulsion is a reality. And dont forget governments are quite a few years ahead of the private sector. When they say electric Im sure they are talking about ion's. The united states launched a satellite a few years back using that technology.

Now as to them launching a craft to go to the moon's of mars, i dont see that happening anytime soon. Not a manned craft anyways. And i agree, 1.1 million is peanuts for such a venture. So my conclusion is it wont happen.

Peace, russ1969

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by russ1969
reply to post by babybunnies

ion propulsion is a reality.

Peace, russ1969

For anybody interested ... below is the WikiPedia link for Ion drive ...
Ion Drive

Not sure that's exactly what they're talking about, but it could be.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

Was that using the "current" rocket technology? Anything that is capable of traveling between "alien *worlds*" is probably using other methods of travel than speed alone.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Very cool. Perhaps someday, mankind can take its place in a vast federation of planets. We just need to remember to keep an eye on the romulans.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by EnhancedInterrogator

Possibly this particular variant is what they have in mind ... looks like it rates highest in thrust (but only in a pulsed manner) ...
MagnetoPlasmaDynamic thruster
... would likely have to be powered by a nuclear reactor though.

edit on 2010-10-20 by EnhancedInterrogator because: Fixed image link.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by kyle43
reply to post by predator0187

Was that using the "current" rocket technology? Anything that is capable of traveling between "alien *worlds*" is probably using other methods of travel than speed alone.

Anything that takes more than a certain amount of time will lead to mental complications.

It was using current methods though, I love the idea of ion drives but it takes so long for them to be built to spec and then tested in zero gravity. I hope they come soon, but we will have a while before we are using them as common place.

Interesting subject!!

Pred...

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies
The person quoted is a moron? While I don't doubt that there are many advances in science that we don't know about, to relate the propulsion in this proposed ship as being "just a few years away from what we saw in Star Trek" is idiocy.

Its not if nasa knows they have been doing it already for years and now are ready to expose technology from 3 decades ago............

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by kyle43

Nice find.. Love seeing stuff like this.

S&F

In honor of NASA coming out of the closet of space travel I offer these video snippets that answer some of mankind's most fundamental questions about space:

Does a Boomerang work in space?

What does a frog look like in zero G?

What happens when you use radio waves to heat argon gas to plasma creating temps hotter than the sun?

Mars in 39 days? If the above works out then its possible.

NASA propulsion

Slowly but surely we plod along...

"'Cause it's next. 'Cause we came out of the cave, and we looked over the hill and we saw fire; and we crossed the ocean and we pioneered the west, and we took to the sky. The history of man is hung on a timeline of exploration and this is what's next." - S. Seaborn

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 11:47 PM
link   
You guys are kidding right?

Interstellar Ion drives? You do know they still require fairly conventional amounts of reaction mass right?

Electric propulsion that is simple... He's referring to reactionless propulsion... (think gyroscopic force only orders of magnitude more powerful and using elementary phenomena that are universal)

The reality is much of the technology that has been suppressed for so long is now being let off the leash slowly but surely (but only for very specialized and LIMITED applications reference the use of gyroscopic propulsion for satellites but being told it won't work when someone proposes it's use for anything else JPL had a link up ADMITTING it's use in stationkeeping systems for Sat at one point)

They are getting away with this by crediting meta materials... telling even the engineers that they have working with the materials that these phenomena are not possible except with these specialized materials that are non natural expensive and cutting edge...

Don't get me wrong I am not saying the meta materials don't do what they say they do (and in many cases do it much more effectively than the natural phenomena they are based off of)... what I'm saying is it's perposterous to think these phenomena are only triggerable through nano assemblies and etcetera when even MAINSTREAM science is FINALLY admitting that quantum physics applies across the board and many of the effects they told us could ONLY HAPPEN in the micron range ...

Don't you feel bad for making fun of and calling all those things impossible that you just might have been LIED to about by the mainstream?

FUnny isn't it how those same phenomena are all of a sudden controllable and already in nice neat pretty form factors like they've been being developed for DECADES by the time we see them and the Powers that Be need a "Breakthrough" to justify the TRILLIONS they dump into government sponsored projects that PRIVATE INDIVIDUALS and CORPORATIONS then turn around and profit off the IP rights from projects WE PAYED TO DEVELOP.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   
As far as the Plasma rocket tech being "NEW" take a look at youtube videos of brilliant pebbles Hover tests
(brilliant pebbles was a part of the REAGAN Star Wars Space Defense Initiative) You can hear the arcing crack crack pop and see the propellant fluorescing rather than burning as it ejects hypersonically from the nozzles.

On a related note technology wise you guys should check out plasmerg.com

It's an alternate energy company that I was seriously on the fence about up until NASA started publicizing these RF enhanced plasma rockets... plasmerg is using a similar concept in a closed cycle piston type system with a mix of noble gases that they say will run for three months on a tank of premixed gas the size of a standard acetylene canister for 3 months!!

The interesting part is ... they've been talking about this for a long time now and NASA just confirmed it's doable for us.... (as I've gotten older I've come to appreciate any confirmation I can get that proposed new technologies are not just physically possible but technologically PLAUSIBLE) especially when I can watch videos of brilliant pebbles tests from the 80's and SEE and HEAR the the proof of this technology working!!

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by predator0187
I cannot wait until we can travel to other star systems, or even Mars for that matter.

It sounds horrifyingly boring to me, to be trapped in some tin can for months or years on end, just to get a different view from some dead rock somewhere else in space (if you're lucky). Give me a sunset on Maui any day, with a cool drink in my hand and a warm lady by my side.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by kyle43

Whats the use we launch this one then in another 20 years something we build much faster will pass this one, then another five years something will go screaming by that one and so on. :shk:

top topics

<<   2 >>

join