It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is being anonymous on ATS the right thing? I dont think so.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
At the end of the Day the site is a business. Pure and simple.

People might reject that, but investors do not invest in pure craziness for no reason.

The ATS owners have solid backgrounds in some form of business.

I run a large Close Protection company so I know what comes first. The bottom line is the important factor.

You lot see it from your view as conspiracy people. But it does not run itself.

Advertising only goes so far.

Anyway its about, how to make this sit seem more credible. Most of the people who I tell that Im on this site, look it up and then laugh at me. Its only friendly mocking but I consider some of the topics here very serious, well to me anyway. I have learned some ok things and read a lot of BS.

I know more people would be prepared to come to a site like this if it had some credibility outside of the small community.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
If people are asked to pay then half of the (what I consider valuable) deliberation and debating that goes on here would cease. Anonymity is the reason why many of us feel comfortable posting here. Knowing who we all are will not prove productive. Why should we pay anyway? People already pay for internet service with the account holders name on record for the appropriate people to know, and if they commit some serious online whoopsie the relevant authorities can track them down and deal with them. Just because someone has been a bit mean to you online doesn't mean that this ridiculous idea should be implemented.

I've moderated plenty of forums, and even the people I know fairly well still have the ability to be gits on occasion. Having their full names and a small, pointless yearly fee is never going to put a stop to that. It's the internet, and the converted currency equivelant of that yearly charge can be put to much better use by helping me to purchase a quick snack, or a roll of tin foil.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by optimus primal

Yeh, thankfully

Now I can atleast try and out run the Gestapo.

See,MrRed, there are some who believe in their privacy and keeping their tracks at a minimum.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by MrRed

at the end of the day it's the amigo's business not yours. they run it how they see fit, and they see fit not to intrude into our identities and i thank them for that every day. this board has plenty of credibility it's broken several stories that were being covered up. you want to know who people are when you talk to them , then do so in real life, or try facebook. this isn't one of those sites.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrRed
At the end of the Day the site is a business. Pure and simple.

People might reject that, but investors do not invest in pure craziness for no reason.

The ATS owners have solid backgrounds in some form of business.

I run a large Close Protection company so I know what comes first. The bottom line is the important factor.

You lot see it from your view as conspiracy people. But it does not run itself.

Advertising only goes so far.

Anyway its about, how to make this sit seem more credible. Most of the people who I tell that Im on this site, look it up and then laugh at me. Its only friendly mocking but I consider some of the topics here very serious, well to me anyway. I have learned some ok things and read a lot of BS.

I know more people would be prepared to come to a site like this if it had some credibility outside of the small community.

If you have a sales pitch save it for the owners of the site.

They will tell you where to go with that.

Go on, U2U the owners then, save the bandwidth since this is such a smalltime site why dont you?
edit on 18-10-2010 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by invetro
If people are asked to pay then half of the (what I consider valuable) deliberation and debating that goes on here would cease. Anonymity is the reason why many of us feel comfortable posting here. Knowing who we all are will not prove productive. Why should we pay anyway? People already pay for internet service with the account holders name on record for the appropriate people to know, and if they commit some serious online whoopsie the relevant authorities can track them down and deal with them. Just because someone has been a bit mean to you online doesn't mean that this ridiculous idea should be implemented.

I've moderated plenty of forums, and even the people I know fairly well still have the ability to be gits on occasion. Having their full names and a small, pointless yearly fee is never going to put a stop to that. It's the internet, and the converted currency equivelant of that yearly charge can be put to much better use by helping me to purchase a quick snack, or a roll of tin foil.

I fully understand. People feel comfortable displaying opinion from the safety of their arm chair. It makes sense I know. It is natural to want to remain hidden when voicing opinion on certain things.

However this does not need to be the way. The government can not do much when a community has names to go with it. Hence, why petitions are important in life. But they must also be valid and therefore require names and some form of proof. This site could be like a mass petition. Its easy for the government to label all on here as terrorists or activists when they hide in the dark.

If everybody was not afraid to stand up then this community would be far stronger and far more productive in real life. It would have a serious say. The Truthers.....well the credible ones like the Engineers have come forward and put their reputations and names at stake. Now the government cant get rid of all of them. Therefor they are now a force growing in number.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

I agree with you I just think avatars are avatars weather it be a self pic or some wild concoction of colors. mild or wild

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   

I ma not on about he business people....its about credibility.

You lot only see what you want to see.

Crack pot theories and never the actual truth. Always an excuse.

The business concerns all those who LOVE this site.

If it goes so do you lot. No way to ever fight.

Not that many of you actually fight for what you write here but a few do.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by momoney
reply to post by hillbilly4rent

Billy Bob?!?

Is that you?

Your daddy's still mad about you taking his Remington, so I'd stay upriver for a bit yet, OK?

Was that supposed to be funny

edit on 18-10-2010 by hillbilly4rent because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by MrRed

How many of those engineers are currently unemployed because their name is all over the whole internet now? Its not just the government you have to worry about, lots of employers these days are getting internet savvy and researching prospective employees. At least for US based posters there are some states where a company can and will dismiss you at any time for any reason without legal recourse, I believe they are referred to as Right-To-Work states, such as Virginia for example. Sure the Government might not move against individual posters here but its entirely possible that a HR person would discover a series of posts made by an employee here and then summarily dismiss them because they didn't want any connection between themselves and the content of ATS.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Am I the only one here who's feeling the whole "I dont like this site" vibe here?

If you dont like it, dont take part.

Dont want to post an avatar, dont, do, do it.

Want to pay, U2U the owners and offer you card details and tell them to stop the ad's.

Want them to know where you live, offer them some tea on a sunday or a day of your fricken choice.

What the heck is wrong with you? Your like Jeckyl and Hyde with your posts, make up your mind!

You want credibility? According to you, post an alien abduction experience on facebook or something similar and you will get an excellent response. Dont bother with what friends, colleagues or family might think!!??

What the heck are you on about????

Damn your getting on my nerves with the beating about the bush thing you have here, spit it out, dont like the site, log off. Like it, cool, contribute like everyone else and voice your opinions like the rest of us.

Got a great business idea, U2U skeptic and tell him about it.

Even better just read the T&C's and it explains the rules. Create your own site, nothings stopping you.
edit on 18-10-2010 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zoodie
It's bad enough that your IP address is logged, which can be traced to your name, address, etc by anyone who's determined to find out. I am a woman whom lives alone in a semi-rural area. I don't need the hassle of possible psychos lurking around because of something I said or whatever reason.

PERFECT

the government or any other organization that owns or hack ATS can find information about you

the real problem are the psychos ... imagine if they could go after people who says Israel politics are bad, or something like that

there are a lot of crazy people out there, like 10 % that are OFFICIALLY crazy, besides the damaged ones

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by hillbilly4rent

Yes.

Does my stack of money tempt you?

No?

Well, your avvy doesn't frighten me either.
I've known scarier bikers and they were all good people.

on topic

I don't know how long MrRed(d) can keep up this charade of a thread. Big Brother is going to shut ATS down if we don't all show our faces. Oh, my goodnes, we'd better all get in line for the mug shots right away.

(that was sarcasm- a different kind of humor

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
Yea, this isn't facebook.

This is ATS, a place where a lot of paranoid people, some with serious mental health issues, (and some who like to abuse the paranoid people some with serious mental health issues.) come to talk to each other.

Real names won't fly here.

well, sorry to inform you, but these paranoid people are found in BUNCHES in facebook or any other social website, so I wouldnt be so safe posting pictures and personal information there too

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by XXXN3O

Am I the only one here who's feeling the whole "I dont like this site" vibe here?

Want to pay, U2U the owners and offer you card details and tell them to stop the ad's.

Want them to know where you live, offer them some tea on a sunday or a day of your fricken choice.

What the heck is wrong with you? Your like Jeckyl and Hyde with your posts, make up your mind!

You miss the point. I hate no "hate" as you put it towards the site.

It has nothing to do with paying, even though i suggested a dollar....for those who have a job its not a lot.

I am talking about the amount of people like you who try to force your voice byt are to afraid to show yourself.

Like I said easy to talk from your arm chair.

I am purely talking about the credibility of people on here. People are much more likely to be careful
and mindful when talking and use the truth more frequently than they do so currently.

There are thousands of threads on here that are purely BS. Thousands of posts of people insulting others, hundreds banned and returning to cause more trouble.

I was thinking more of having an even keel for everyone. And weeding out the nonsense.

Simple for most to understand. Nit interested in the fee..the fee was linked to paypal ID confirmation. But I have said a few times other methods can be imposed.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by XXXN3O

You miss the point. I hate no "hate" as you put it towards the site.

It has nothing to do with paying, even though i suggested a dollar....for those who have a job its not a lot.

I am talking about the amount of people like you who try to force your voice byt are to afraid to show yourself.

Like I said easy to talk from your arm chair.

I am purely talking about the credibility of people on here. People are much more likely to be careful
and mindful when talking and use the truth more frequently than they do so currently.

There are thousands of threads on here that are purely BS. Thousands of posts of people insulting others, hundreds banned and returning to cause more trouble.

I was thinking more of having an even keel for everyone. And weeding out the nonsense.

Simple for most to understand. Nit interested in the fee..the fee was linked to paypal ID confirmation. But I have said a few times other methods can be imposed.

Right.

Ill put this as simple as I can.

Eat your own words.

link   
reply to post by momoney

Does my stack of money tempt you?

Why should it I earn my own.

Well, your avvy doesn't frighten me either. I've known scarier bikers and they were all good people.

Im not a bicker and I didnt ask if I frighten you
so whats your angle

link   
Excuse me?

This coming from a guy who has claimed to have trained and worked for various mercenary and intelligence corporations, including Blackwater (Xe).. ?

Oh, right. Please stuff a sock in your mouth.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   

then why are you here? why do you not set an example in "credibility"? hmm?? you're not, you're as much of an armchair commentator as anyone else here. i do love this site, i visit it dozens of times every day. i'm defending it's proposition that you don't need to show everything that you are to have a decent debate with someone over the internet, that you don't have to have a Phd in a field to be knowledgeable in it and an opinion about it. you sir seem to think the ideals of this site are laughable, which begs the question yet again, why not leave and start your own site if this one is so "uncredible"? better yet, u2u bill or springer or simon or crakeur right now. put your money where your mouth is. fight for what you write here. cause all i see is a bunch of complaining about what this site really is, and you wanting it to be something it isn't and wont be so long as the admin staff has any say in it.

you're not winning hearts and minds because the admins already have them

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by SyphonX
Excuse me?

This coming from a guy who has claimed to have trained and worked for various mercenary and intelligence corporations, including Blackwater (Xe).. ?

Oh, right. Please stuff a sock in your mouth.

I trained in close Protection with Blackwater when they used to offer their courses. I trained with Pheonix CP back in the UK where im from. I worked for Armor group doing Close Protection for 3 years and now operate and run a Close Protection training and operating service in the UK.

How is that BS. Im ex army and served with 3 Para.

How am I BS. I never worked as a mercenary or EVER claimed to. read my post.

I have been in the field of Close Protection for a number of years. Its common in the UK for people from the Armed forces to go into Close Protection when they leave. In fact when the UK brought out the SIA licence for security it lowered the standard of service.

edit on 18/10/10 by MrRed because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join