It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How can I talk to my Christian relatives?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 05:07 AM
link   

If there is only one god in a religion and he is the right god, then everyone else is wrong. And what does We Are Right syndrome make? Take the beginning letters, WAR.

Well said

I'm not well up on the bible but I think there's a passage somewhere where men tried to build a tower as high as heaven, so God muddled up their language as punishment for their arrogance.. (tower of Babylon?)

My interpretation of that was that the consequence ended up in all of the languages we see today, as well as many many religions. I don't think any religion is wrong - but in the end it will be down to you and God as to whether the fruit of your soul is ripe or rotten.. regardless of which religion you come under.

I think different religions merely use different descriptions and names for God, while some don't use God as focus but rather on the enlightenment of their soul. It all seems a variation of the same thing IMO.

Besides, in the human world no father would condemn a child to eternal damnation. So I don't truly believe anyone will go to 'hell' either. It will more likely be a big chat where you confront yourself, truly understand your mistakes and then apologise accordingly.

All just my interpretation though..

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by LordBucket

reply to post by Jovi1

I agree completely with these posters. I happen to have relatives visiting right now. I'm not sure what their religious practices are and it's really none of my business, but when people close to me talk about religion or their beliefs, I just listen respectfully. There's no reason for me to get involved in a religious debate because I am not involved in religion. It's not my thing, it's their thing. If they want to talk about it, I will listen, just as if they were talking about something else that they were interested in.

Of course, they're not going to respect the fact that you don't have religious beliefs, and they're going to want you to believe as they do. But that's not going to happen. So, I've found the best way to deal with it is to be polite and not argue. And changing the subject might help, too.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel
It's like I'm an alien to them. We can never be so opposite. I enjoy watching Harry Potter they believe Harry Potter is Satanic. Jesus is everything to them and me being an Atheist seems to be worst then scum to them. What can I do to make them respect me? This is confusing! Christians what would you say to them?

I have the very same problem, friend. I call myself a Wiccan, for lack of a better word to describe what I feel and what I do. My own Mother (a devout Christian) disowned me in 1987, told me to her, I was dead, and never to call or attempt to see her again. she died alone a few years ago. To me, the average Christian has never read the Bible they hold so dear all the way through, and they believe that what the preacher tells them is the genuine exact words of Christ, a man they see as God Incarnate, who is not only a supernatural being, but! He is coming on a cloud to save them all from us sinners.

Here is my advice, stop talking to them, they are so brainwashed no talk, no evidence, and not one other thing will convince them to change their minds one bit.
You see, a Christian has a BELIEF while people like me have IDEAS. Now an idea can easily be changed, when new information come into view, but sadly a belief is set in stone, never to change, never to evolve into something new.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel
It's like I'm an alien to them. We can never be so opposite. I enjoy watching Harry Potter they believe Harry Potter is Satanic. Jesus is everything to them and me being an Atheist seems to be worst then scum to them. What can I do to make them respect me? This is confusing! Christians what would you say to them?

I would say to them that they are wrong for treating Atheists with contempt. The only group the apostles and Jesus rebuked violently were the wolves in sheep's clothing (Claiming to be Christians/believers yet teaching heresies).

Not the lost people. Jesus came to save that which was lost, not the righteous. It's the sick that need a doctor, not those whom are well and healthy.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
First and foremost, stand up for YOUR beliefs as much as they stand up for theirs. It doesn't mean you have to be nasty, condesending or rude, simply state where you stand and why. Will they like it? Probably not... Chances are, you're never gonna have a conversation with them where they agree with you..

Second, remember that they are conditioned (from my experience) to believe that "atheist" means you worship their version of "the devil". Which as we all know, it ridiculous. Besides, if you don't believe in god then how can you believe in the devil?

No matter how you slice it, it's gonna turn in to a pissing match as to who is right and who isn't and that's not what it's about! You be the bigger person and let it go. Remember, right or wrong, they believe in their version as strongly as you believe in yours. It's better for your karma to speak your piece and let it go without a fight.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
RR, you've two problems here -- first, as others have noted, your relatives sound like they are fundamentalists. Most Christians have no issue with "Harry Potter" -- I went to all of the movies myself (until I realized that it's pretty much the same story over and over, lol.) So they're immersed in a pretty strict and (often times) fear based faith. Religion, for this type of belief, is usually less about a positive relationship with God than it is about avoiding punishment.

This runs smack dab into the second problem -- I assume that they love you, and they have a real concern for you. Whether you believe it or not, and whether it is real or not, their belief is that you will not be saved, and that's a big motivator for wanting to "fix" you. They have an extra motivation for pestering you, because you're their kin, and they're a bit more emotionally invested in you than they might be in the guy up the street.

As you know, I don't subscribe to enthusiastic and unwelcome evangelism, so I sympathize with you. But, if you look beyond their fundamental doctrine that neither you nor I agree with, and see that they have a genuine concern for your well being, that might make things a bit easier to swallow, because being angry or dismissive isn't an effective way to deal with fundamentalists and to encourage harmonious family events. And, as you point out, they'll be on the road and out of your hair before too long.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Ouroborus2012

Second, remember that they are conditioned (from my experience) to believe that "atheist" means you worship their version of "the devil". Which as we all know, it ridiculous. Besides, if you don't believe in god then how can you believe in the devil?

LOL! I'm all my life I have NEVER met a Christian who believed this above. Nor have I once ever read an internet reply from a Christian who thought this either. If you have met one or two who held this ridiculous notion, then I'd like to remind you it's an extreme logical fallacy to use the "exception" to define the "rule".

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

Hello Romantic Rebel. May Peace be upon you!
Are they the kind that openly belittle you about your "lack of faith?" When I encounter religious people, from any religion, that are close-minded, I keep my mouth shut and just nod with the "I'm not interested" look and vibe.

Now, if they insist on down talking you and damming you to eternal hell, I'd just pick their religion to pieces point by point. No offense to Christians, but it is the easiest "popular" religion to point out the flaws between actual written word and belief (doctrine, dogma, preacher's word).

However, to be the better person would have you simply talk it out with them. "I love you guys, please follow your religion as you want. Jesus taught unconditional love, not pointing your nose up because you are holier than thou. Just let me be, leave religion out of it, and let's just be family."

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Sahabi

Have you read much of the 4 gospels? Jesus teaches about a literal Hell more than any figure in the Bible. And also plainly states He is the ONLY way to eternal life.

Without Him there awaits the Hell He spoke so often about.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Doesn't that sound like propaganda to you? You seem bent on him being the only way to heaven. Why is he the only way to heaven?
Reading Material

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I know how you feel. I'm Agnostic (which can relate to Atheism), while the rest of my family is Catholic.

There's nothing wrong with you, or your family; you just have different beliefs. What you should do is sit down and have a talk with them. Mention that part of being a Christian is to find peace between all, even those of other religions. If they are good Christians they would respect your differences.
"Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those you trespass against us" - Our Father (a Catholic prayer)

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Jesus said He was the only way to heaven. If you don't like that idea you need to be mad at Him, not the messenger.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Well then I'm not mad at him. I just don't believe in Jesus like you. I believe if there are other ways to get to heaven.
For you!
Maybe you can learn about Judaism.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Hunni, my Savior and His apostles practiced Judaism before Jesus's sacrifice on the cross. You see, since Christ made the ultimate Atonement for sin on the cross, and especially since 70 A.D. those who practice Judaism have no way to atone for sins under Mosaic law.

There is no temple for them to atone for their sins as YHVH commanded. Instead of me researching Judaism, please look at every rite and ritual the OT Jews had and see the parallel in Jesus's sacrifice on the cross as the Lamb of God.

If you earnestly pray to the Father YHVH to show you the truth about His Son, HE WILL.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join