It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How can I talk to my Christian relatives?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
It's like I'm an alien to them. We can never be so opposite. I enjoy watching Harry Potter they believe Harry Potter is Satanic. Jesus is everything to them and me being an Atheist seems to be worst then scum to them. What can I do to make them respect me? This is confusing! Christians what would you say to them?

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Maybe its not them that needs a talking to but you ....peace

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
As a Christian I would say that the point isn't to punish people or condemn them for disagreeing with your point of view. It's about accepting one another regardless. "Love your neighbour" and all that..

I find that any 'religion' is a terrible divider. Ultimately, I believe it's about being a good person. To help when it's needed, to set a good example. Nothing more. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. You can debate all you want to get your feelings across (and sometimes a good debate may spark something for both parties) but no one should ever force their beliefs onto others - nor should they ever dismiss their opinions as wrong.

The outside world is just the surface. The real world is within - an interpretation of everything we see and do. So based on that, my world is not your world, and your world isn't theirs.

Besides, variety is the spice of life

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by the2ofusr1

That's a rude thing to say! Do you find it offensive that I'm not a Christian?
You should apologize to me.

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

What can I do to make them respect me? This is confusing!
Christians what would you say to them?

Say nothing. Listen to them. Politely. Try to understand their point of view. They will appreciate that far more than anything you're likely to be able to say to them. But don't lie to them, and don't tell them what you think they want to hear.

Just listen. Without judgement of what you hear, listen.

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by LordBucket

Thanks! I owe you one.

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   

|No not in the least .I dont know the whole situation with you and yours .I noticed you said they made you feel alien .Maybe its just your feelings that are confused .Could be them as well .Too little information . I am a outcast from my family as far as my faith is concerned but I dont feel bad about it I deal with it and try and love them just the same ....peace

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Every human being deserves respect. What you describe happens when Christian people forget a key principle of their own faith: we are all made in the image of God, no matter what we believe.

The Harry Potter thing is a bit of a red herring. As with many things containing elements unsavoury to some Christians, it can be used to draw a line in the sand with the best of intentions, but insensitively. And even if your relatives are convinced it is a really bad influence, they ought to respect your right to act according to your own conscience. After all even they made mistakes in their lives (the 1st principle of real Christianity = a deep appreciation that I'm no better than anyone else), so they need to accept you must live your own life.

But try not to turn against them for speaking their mind. They are, after all, expressing their concern, even if somewhat misguidedly.

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Nope ....As far as being offended by someones belief goes .I would think it a bit childish to do so .I really like Romans 5 :8 ...peace

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I understand what you mean. I have relatives who are hardcore bible thumpers. The thing is you can't talk to them. They are set in their ways, and you are set in your ways. My advice is to try to avoid any talk about church or religion. If it comes to where they start talking about the bible, just politely listen. Especially if you are visiting and they are the hosts. Usually I try to steer the conversation towards t.v. shows they like or other topics, but it's hard to stay the course. It's akin to talking to a die-hard baseball fan about how boring the sport is. They will surely react to it in a negative way. Just my thoughts.....

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Simply put you dont talk to them about religion. If they bring it up just politely smile and nod. Understand this getting into any kind of debate with them over it is fruitless. You are not going to change their perspective they are not gonna change yours. The only thing that will change at one point is how they view you as time goes on. If you live a good clean solid life, they may not respect your beliefs but they will at least respect you. If they cant deal with it it is their problem not yours.

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   
We have different belief systems in my family. The bottom line is that we are all good people who love and respect each other. I hope that you and your family can see beyond the religious issues that seperate you.
Hugs!

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Thanks for replying guys. Seems they are more nice when they get back from Church. Eh? They're here to pick up my cousin. So a few days with them and them singing praise music. Little do they know I have my own praise song lined up when they leave!

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel
What can I do to make them respect me?

...MAKE them respect you?... you cant... respect is earned (if its achieved at all)...

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   

They think Harry Potter is satanic?
They sound like fundamentalists. As a Christian, please take my word that those kinds of people are a very poor representation of the rest of us.

Now I see why you're always so critical of religion everywhere the subject pops up on ATS. I probably would be be too if I had family members like that. lol.

Just remind them of what Jesus said in Matthew 7:1.. "Judge not, that ye not be judged."

And of course, as LordBucket said, try to understand their point of view

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by BobbinHood

Trust me! It's that bad! I do know there are numerous types of Christians. I have some friends who are Liberal Christians. Which they're more relaxed in today's world.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 12:17 AM
link   

dude, that's a tough one. I'm a christian myself, but your family sounds hardcore. i don't know what i'd say to someone who looked down on harry potter, etc. you may just have to ride it out. they love you anyways i'm sure.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by snusfanatic

I guess so. Just give it time and soon they'll be gone. Kind of like the Wizard of Oz.
Harry Potter is Satanic to them.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Have you ever seen the episode of wife swap or trading spouses (cant remember which one) where the Christian lady stayed with Wiccan people? WOW. She was completely ignorant to their ways and she did not show the SLIGHTEST bit of respect. They were super respectful to her even though every word that was screamed out of her mouth was "you are a servant of Satan" and "God bless your soul" and a bunch of stuff. Her behavior was astonishing. Yeah, just respect them, unfortunately...if they still have trouble respecting you that is something that is much harder to fix up. As much as I wish that was not the case, as with that lady from the show...She would not let up. She wouldn't even talk to this poor psychic guy who was exceptionally nice to her.

It's people like that who give us Christians a bad name
Also, I'm not trying to say your family is like her, but it was just the example of the crazy lady from trading spouses ignorance of respect. Ah, in either case, sorry if there was any offense taken. None intended.

Good luck though with your situation!

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by philosearcher

You should do as their god teaches, turn the other cheek.

It takes questioning faith to understand what it is, I prefer fact but whatever floats their boat.

I just wish people would realize that religion is what is dividing the world and making hate.

If there is only one god in a religion and he is the right god, then everyone else is wrong. And what does We Are Right syndrome make? Take the beginning letters, WAR.

But, hey, for people to realize that it would take a miracle.

Pred...
edit on 18-10-2010 by predator0187 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join