It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Officer Bubbles' sues YouTube and users over cartoons

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by lee anoma

I agree that she was being obnoxious. But i worked admissions in acute mental health for 5 years. Borderline personality was part and parcel to our daily routine. You just have to ignore the obnoxious yet meaningless provocations if you are a professional. The officer failed in this regard.

I have been arguing with a cop in another forum today over his sarcastic and belittling replies to a few users. He just doesn't understand. I meet very few officers who do understand.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 01:27 AM
link   
edit on 18-10-2010 by lieslieslies because: PRIVACY..

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c27c16503207.jpg[/atsimg]

Internet: 1 Officer Bubbles: 0

Const. Adam Josephs launched a defamation suit with the “primary objective” of removing the “Officer Bubbles” cartoons from the Internet, but they are back online with dozens of new comments from YouTube users that challenge him to add their names to the list of people being sued.

It’s an online community that refuses to be bullied into silence.

www.thestar.com...

The push-back from freedom fighters?

In the left corner:

Toronto lawyer David Shiller, who defends the bubble-blower in the original video, has offered to represent those facing legal action free of charge.

“His case in a very, very real sense threatens peoples’ right to comment on the police conduct at the G20, and that is undeniably a very important and controversial public issue,” Shiller said.

In the right corner:

“Litigation is a very expensive process. I wonder how officer Josephs can afford a case that can easily cost $100,000,” Shiller said.

A Toronto police constable can earn up to $81,000 a year.

And, on the mike in the center of the ring:

The Toronto Police Association said it supports Josephs in principle, but union president Mike McCormack would not confirm whether it was financing the suit.

“He’s one of our officers, he was doing his job and his family is getting death threats,” McCormack said. “We support him and we support this matter; however, we will not comment on whether the association financially supports any of our members that are before the courts.”

*gets out the potato chips and dip*

edit on 21/10/10 by masqua because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

My friend...I fear you are not taking this seriously!.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck
My friend...I fear you are not taking this seriously!.

What I took seriously were three specific things:

1) The G20 was held in the downtown of the busiest city in Canada, compelling both the provicial and federal governments to pony up 1 BILLION hardearned tax dollars for 'prettying up, fencing and policing when it could have been held in some nice 'out-of-the-way' spot, like Burlington or Oshawa, for a small fraction of the cost and at zero inconvenience to those hotshots coming to the meetings. For the savings, they could have BUILT a 5-star hotel to keep them in and it would still be making money today.

2) The huge outlay of cash for security demanded that those forces involved had to show some results or it would have caused a public outcry over the wasted tax dollars. This is why the mass arrests happened as they did on Queen street, where an entire block was surrounded and every human being ON that block was arrested, whether they were protesters or not (and that was only one incident).

3) Those protestors who WERE violent, smashing windows and burning a cop car, were allowed to do their damage without any police trying to arrest them. Why? The cameras were rolling, the news reporters were 'tsk tsk-ing', but NONE of them were arrested. That bothers me a lot.

So, here we have an officer confronting a young girl blowing bubbles and eventually arresting her for whatever the charges were. Chances are that the case will be thrown out of court, like so many others already have and what are we left with(?)... a bunch of unknown, unarrested hoodlums who got away with smashing a few windows and torching a cruiser and a thousand people tossed in the clink for either nothing much at all, or...

blowing soap bubbles.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

My problem lies with the so-called Black Block...as I keep telling my son, any moron can break #. Apparently they did. Hunt them down like the vermin they are.

Plus, the police had no apparent leadership. Period. Heads should roll.

Finally, that provincial Cabinet Minister told me outright that the city and the province both wanted the conference to be moved to the exhibition grounds, if it had to be in Toronto. The Feds insisted that security would be tougher moving the hoi poloi from the hotels to the Ex than to just cordon off the downtown core the way they did.

Well, score another one for Steve.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 02:56 AM
link   
No love on here for the Black Block? The media has had no issue destroying their image because most people are not educated enough on modern North American revolutionary tactics. These BB guys seem as if they want to be seen as if they were Zapatistas in Mexico... Except they do not have any apparent leadership capable of spreading the reasoning for their actions to average Canadians, so it's easy to label them as simple anarchists.

Personally I rather like the idea of black masks and gasoline; it's true democracy when you wear a mask in order to not fight as yourself, but as an ideal. We here on ATS are also not representing ourselves so much as our own theories.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi
Personally I rather like the idea of black masks and gasoline; it's true democracy when you wear a mask in order to not fight as yourself, but as an ideal. We here on ATS are also not representing ourselves so much as our own theories.

Black masks and gasoline might be a statement, but smashing windows and torching cruisers only get paid for by ordinairy folks like you and I through our taxes and insurance policies. How about going about their business in a more direct fashion and taking on the multinationals through uncovering their unethical practices by exposing them through the social media... like we do here at ATS?

Any fool can throw a brick through a Starbucks window, but it takes some brains to do research and cause damage to a company's public reputation.

I'm not a fan of anarchy... I don't see it as a great venue for raising a family.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

You know, they didn't seem to do all that much damage for an anarchist group, only focusing on the establishment. And things we pay for with taxes? We don't pay sh*t, they take from us and our political figures live fancy lives with our money while we suffer and even our military funding as well. The police are nothing but paid thugs who allow this to happen by suppressing us.

The BB could've starting killing cops instead of burning a couple cruisers, and where would that end up? For the Black Block, the police families, or for our national integrity? What they did was still in the means of socially accepted behavior in this country. Why they don't use "traditional" methods is because resistance itself has evolved and this is the face of it in Canada. Why bother fighting the power by non-violent means when they control the rules, the media, our lives. And as Guevara said, "words without actions are unimportant."

Canadian resistance has been on the rise in the past ten years. This involves Canadian nationalists calling for sovereignty from US foreign policy, to environmental activists who fight corporate expansion into our land, to "anarchist" groups (labelled as terrorists by RCMP, by the way), to rebels that conduct active sabotage like bombing pipelines and CF recruitment centers.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

I understand where you're coming from, but I can only think of one thing to say in regard to smashing and blowing things up: How many windows were broken or cop cars torched by Wikileaks and, in comparison, how much impact do THEY have on the establishment?

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua

I understand where you're coming from, but I can only think of one thing to say in regard to smashing and blowing things up: How many windows were broken or cop cars torched by Wikileaks and, in comparison, how much impact do THEY have on the establishment?

Wikileaks has access to all that information because the US lead a violent military campaign in order to create this whole situation. Canada is a whole different situation. Our government is so high on the pedestal that you need a high education just to understand it, and considering tuition is insane and programs like student loans are being cut back, it's apparent who our current government wants associated with it (the only people who can afford it).

Oh, and there are official records of hypocrisy and corruption out there, but they are rarely noted outside of political studies. For instance we just covered a senate statement from the 80s where the nationalized bank of BC was sold off to a Hong Kong firm (now it is known as HSBC). The corporate guy clearly states that it will be used for "laundering money".
edit on 22-10-2010 by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua

Putting on a mask, breaking windows and hiding in a crowd is chicken#. Like I said, any idiot can break stuff. Maybe they should try to man up and accomplish something instead.

I cited a Cabinet Minister...I'm a party member and I was able to tell her in a room full of my peers that they screwed up. She listened. That gets more attention than throwing a brick through a Starbucks window...but it won't make the National.

The BB? Ever heard of a Toronto band called FBG? The name applies to them, too.
edit on 22-10-2010 by JohnnyCanuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   
He will win his lawsuit.
When that lady ordered HOT coffee from Mcdonald's and spilled in on her private's and got millions for dollar's for it..
cause it burnt her private's...
Can i have some hot coffee..Ouch it burnt me im gonna sue...How did she ever win that lawsuit lol

So yes bubbles will win this one...

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join