It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Senate candidate Christine O'Donnel: 'Evolution is a myth.'

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

Don't bother . I used to be a Social Darwinist untill I Wised up .

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Zanti Misfit

I used to be a Christian till I found out I can use the brain I have.
Live and learn. Don't believe everything you see.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

What does this have to do with anything, anything at all, that this woman would actually do in Congress?

It doesn't..

So why discuss a politicians religious beliefs?

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zanti Misfit

Hmm ... Last time I checked , the Theory of Evolution was just that , a Theory . Who are we to Question the Beliefs of a Fellow American in the Political Limelight ? It's A Free Country , if you somehow feel offended by her Beliefs , then don't Vote or Listen to her , and in the mean time , try getingt a freakin Life .....

Originally posted by newBodyoldSoul
Although I don't agree with creationism, being a Texan I'm glad our kids will be taught both evolution and creationism. None of us know what really happened, so what's wrong with learning about both sides of the story? Since Ive started on my trek to be a high shool teacher I've come to realize how liberally indoctrinated our children are becoming. It's disgusting that most people believe only what they learn in school.

When I can walk around my college campus and see all these "Carl Marx" discussions that take place, it blows my mind. As a black man, I know if I tried to have Malcolm X discussions at school people would go ape #.

Teach both sides, it's not the government's job to tell us what to believe. I'll be teaching my two year old son both sides, for his knowledge will prevent future IGNORANCE for others belief system.

edit - Im not a witch. I am you.
edit on 14-10-2010 by newBodyoldSoul because: (no reason given)

I hate to sort of derail a thread, but here it goes anyway.

A theory is, more or less, an idea that has been tested over and over again and found to be true every time. The way it's used conversationally is almost the exact opposite of the way it's used in science.

The reason creationism shouldn't be taught in science classes is that it's not science. Science invariably follows the scientific method; which includes testing your ideas. You can't really design an experiment to test creationism. As such, it's not science and shouldn't be taught in a science class.

Creationism is, at heart, a religious view. If taught, it should be taught in a class that is designed to cover religious topics.

I'm cool with this Christine O'Donnel chick getting voted into office. She's probably no dumber than any of the other candidates and is likely a figure head (like every one else) for the collective views of her political party. As such, looks, acting ability, and personality are what's really important. She's easy on the eyes, so she's at least got part of the total package that a politician needs.
edit on 14-10-2010 by Mayson because: added more stuff

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel
reply to post by Zanti Misfit

Looks like you need to study more on evolution.
Do you know what evolution is?
No need to worry! because I will teach you!
Link 1
link 2

Both sites are "stacking the deck!
They are covering all of the bases so that when they are proven wrong they can say that they were not!

link 2
The statement "evolution is both a theory and a fact"

When scientists say "evolution is a fact" they are using one of two meanings of the word "fact".

Another way "fact" is used is to refer to a certain kind of theory

Evolution has been described as "fact and theory", "fact not theory", and "only a theory, not a fact". This illustrates a confusion in terminology that hampers discussion.

Link 1
"theory" often means "imperfect fact"--part of a hierarchy of confidence running downhill from fact to theory to hypothesis to guess.

Well evolution is a theory. It is also a fact.

"fact" doesn't mean "absolute certainty";

No wonder evolutionist are so confused.
dictionary.reference.com...

the·o·ry   
[thee-uh-ree, theer-ee]

–noun, plural -ries.
1. a coherent group of general propositions used as principles of explanation for a class of phenomena: Einstein's theory of relativity.
2. a proposed explanation whose status is still conjectural, in contrast to well-established propositions that are regarded as reporting matters of actual fact.
3. Mathematics . a body of principles, theorems, or the like, belonging to one subject: number theory.
4. the branch of a science or art that deals with its principles or methods, as distinguished from its practice: music theory.
5. a particular conception or view of something to be done or of the method of doing it; a system of rules or principles.
6. contemplation or speculation.
7. guess or conjecture.

dictionary.reference.com...

fact   
[fakt]

–noun
1. something that actually exists; reality; truth: Your fears have no basis in fact.
2. something known to exist or to have happened: Space travel is now a fact.
3. a truth known by actual experience or observation; something known to be true: Scientists gather facts about plant growth.
4. something said to be true or supposed to have happened: The facts given by the witness are highly questionable.
5. Law . Often, facts. an actual or alleged event or circumstance, as distinguished from its legal effect or consequence. Compare question of fact, question of law.

K.I.S.S.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Quadrivium

Does K.I.S.S means Knights in Satan's army? You believe in the devil so you're more of an Satanist then I would ever be. Judging by your comments I should worship Jesus. Why? A image plagiarized from other religions and somehow this thing is the answer? Bullocks!
www.abovetopsecret.com...
A while back I created a thread discussing evolution. Check it out and comment. Much better detail for learning!
Creation Myths
You can't deny these similarities.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Mayson

The reality of the situation though is that evolution is taught as the end all, which it isn't. A theory is, by definition:

a coherent group of general propositions used as principles of explanation for a class of phenomena: Einstein's theory of relativity.
a proposed explanation whose status is still conjectural, in contrast to well-established propositions that are regarded as reporting matters of actual fact.

So, in both cases, the definition clearly goes against the mind set of they way evolution is being taught. A proper theory should always open to be disproved. Keywords in the definitions: PROPOSITIONS & CONJECTURAL.

I personally believe in evolution, but who am I to tell another family they HAVE to listen to my beliefs yet I won't do the same for theirs? In the end, all THEORIES started as belief systems last I checked. I'm not here to argue over who's right.

edt - I see that while I was typing my response that someone brought the definition of theory also. Hahaha thats great.
edit on 14-10-2010 by newBodyoldSoul because: grammar

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Does K.I.S.S means Knights in Satan's army?

Nope, it means: Keep It Simple Stupid.

You believe in the devil so you're more of an Satanist then I would ever be. Judging by your comments I should worship Jesus. Why? A image plagiarized from other religions and somehow this thing is the answer? Bullocks!
www.abovetopsecret.com...
A while back I created a thread discussing evolution. Check it out and comment. Much better detail for learning!
Creation Myths
You can't deny these similarities.

I ripped apart your "Evolutionary Learning Links" and you attack my faith? Bullucks!

How mature of you,
Grow up!

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by newBodyoldSoul
reply to post by Mayson
I personally believe in evolution, but who am I to tell another family they HAVE to listen to my beliefs yet I won't do the same for theirs? In the end, all THEORIES started as belief systems last I checked. I'm not here to argue over who's right.

When one theory has an overwhelming preponderance of scientific evidence in its support and the other does not, only one is appropriate subject matter in a science class. Now, if you want to talk about a comparative religions class or something similar as a forum for discussing competing belief systems, I'm all for it. I wish the high school I went to had offered something like that. In fact, I'd make it a required class. But until there's some scientific evidence for creationism (or ID or whatever it's going to be called in its next incarnation) that doesn't involve working backwards from the presupposed "right" answer of "God did it", keep it out of science classes.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Hey you attacked what I believed. So you should mature. Don't be a hypocrite here.
You people of faith are so funny. You play the victim card so fast!

Reading Material
Evolution awesome!
Why do you fear evolution?

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by iterationzero

Agreed.

Just to clarify though, I never stated creationism should be taught in science class. However, IMO both sides need the ability to be expressed openly.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel

Hey you attacked what I believed. So you should mature. Don't be a hypocrite here.
You people of faith are so funny. You play the victim card so fast!

Reading Material
Evolution awesome!
Why do you fear evolution?

hey but you started it!

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   

"Acts like I'm back in grade school days" You started it! Eh? There's no point of arguing here. Let's say we're dumb and we need to take a nap. Did you see the link I sent you? I can't find that movie anywhere.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Both evolution and creationism are theories. Creationism is a religious idea and should not be taught in school. If anyone believes that evolution is a fact, they are just as misguided as this women.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Have not looked at it yet (laughing to hard), but I think you know I will. Like I said in the other thread, that is the only way to gain knowledge, swallow the bitter with the sweet. Part of learning.
You did see this though, right?

link 2
The statement "evolution is both a theory and a fact"

When scientists say "evolution is a fact" they are using one of two meanings of the word "fact".

Another way "fact" is used is to refer to a certain kind of theory

Evolution has been described as "fact and theory", "fact not theory", and "only a theory, not a fact". This illustrates a confusion in terminology that hampers discussion.

Link 1
"theory" often means "imperfect fact"--part of a hierarchy of confidence running downhill from fact to theory to hypothesis to guess.

Well evolution is a theory. It is also a fact.

"fact" doesn't mean "absolute certainty";

That's just too funny!

edit on 14-10-2010 by Quadrivium because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Subjective Truth

Sorry! But there is a lot of evidence for evolution out there.
So I'm not misguided.
Link 1
link 2
link 3
link 4
link 5

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Yes I seen it!
I have been studying evolution for half a decade.
Maybe you would want more reading material.
Check the other thread I posted and comment it!

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Saying evolution is a myth is like saying photosynthesis is a myth...
Most of the people who claim this haven't the slightest idea of how biology works or what evolution is.
To top it off, evolution and Christianity are not mutually exclusive, so I'm baffled why they're the ones who keep claiming it as being a myth. I mean the freaking Pope believes in evolution...seriously people.
There's a huge difference between evolution, the fact, and the origins of the human species the theory.

Christine O'Donnel
/sigh

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   

I have read a lot on Evolution myself. Seriously, I have not seen anything that can not be classified as adaptation.
We adapt to our surroundings.
There is no proof we evolved from pond scum.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Well the thread I created gives a lot of great information for you to read.
Bio evolution
Check this link out for information on biology evolution.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join