It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doubt Cast on Existence of Habitable Alien World (Gliese 581 g)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 05:38 AM
link   
We've had a fair amount of fuss here on ATS regarding the Gliese 581 g find, but reading an article today it's now in doubt that it even exists…

Francesco Pepe, an astronomer who works on HARPS data at the Geneva Observatory, said at the IAU meeting this week that his team could not confirm the existence of Gliese 581 g. In email correspondence with Astrobiology Magazine, Pepe said that they could not confirm the existence of planet ‘f’ either.

There seems to be more work needed to either confirm or refute the existence of Gliese 581 g, but it does make me wonder why the announcement was made public without irrefutable evidence, read the article and make your own mind up...

Doubt Cast on Existence of Habitable Alien World

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Wow we got duped....AGAIN! How can they just tell us there is a planet there when in reality, there might not be. Did they just guess lol.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 05:44 AM
link   
reply to post by jexmo

It would appear to be still up in the air at the moment, it may well still exist but the HARPS, (the High Accuracy Radial velocity Planet Searcher) team don't seem to be able to confirm it's existence...

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 05:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Majestic RNA

Maybe there just covering there tracks early, in case they find signs of life there. That way they'll say it does'nt exist and keep us in the dark as usual. If it does'nt then they lets us know everything.

Just trying to add a little spice to proceedings lol

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Its like everything else regarding science... We dont know if its true, we dont know if they even does the things correctly.. Its only guessing.

and here we see, how we jump in the hole with both legs, as soon it says "scientist says". We tend to belive the scientists too much I think.. They are like you and me, able to fail, able to lie, able to think they know something, and later on they finds out that they were all wrong.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 06:05 AM
link   
reply to post by KrypticCriminal

Heh, maybe... if that was the case why bother telling us anything in the first place?
... it does seem a bit funny how they can't find it using the HARPS instrument on the La Silla telescope.... that instrument is designed to look for planets!!

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 06:08 AM
link   
There seems to be a contradiction in the article.

Pepe noted that while he did not speak at the IAU meeting about Gliese 581 f, the other potential planet in this system announced by the Lick-Carnegie team, the HARPS data calls that planet into question as well.

So did he talk at the meeting or not? seems not, so whats the deal?

It really doesn't matter IMO even if this isnt what they said or where they said, other types like Earth are there, we are not so unique.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by azzllin

Hi azzllin, no he didn't talk or was present at the meeting, what he's saying is the Lick-Carnegie team are basically wrong about Gliese 581 g and f, according to his instrument HARPS on the La Silla telescope… but yeah like you say there are undoubtedly many habitable planets out there, there are just too many planets in the universe for there not to be!

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Was it ever astablished that the light signal that was supposed to come from gliese 581 g region, a couple of years prior to its discovery or supposed discovery as it may seem. Did actualy come from that region.

I remeber reading a thread on it but i cant find it for some reason. Anyone know?

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Haha, how the history of cover-up stories has made us cynical.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   

In a word.. no...

"I know the scientist, and when he first announced it, I asked him for the details, and he wouldn't send them to me," astronomer and SETI pioneer Frank Drake told SPACE.com. "I'm very suspicious."

I've also read that it was claimed to come from some place else other than Gliese, but can't remember where...

Claim of Alien Signal from Planet Gliese 581g Called 'Very Suspicious'

edit on 13-10-2010 by Majestic RNA because: Spelling

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by jexmo

Ha, doubt we'd be on a conspiracy website in the first place if we weren't a bit cynical

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by ypperst

Just don't tell a scientist that, They will demand proof and then proceed to show how your proof is inaccurate.
Scientists.................

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Majestic RNA

Thanks majestic

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majestic RNA

In a word.. no...

"I know the scientist, and when he first announced it, I asked him for the details, and he wouldn't send them to me," astronomer and SETI pioneer Frank Drake told SPACE.com. "I'm very suspicious."

I've also read that it was claimed to come from some place else other than Gliese, but can't remember where...

Claim of Alien Signal from Planet Gliese 581g Called 'Very Suspicious'

edit on 13-10-2010 by Majestic RNA because: Spelling

The claim can indeed be called suspicious because the detected signal never came from the Gliese system. The detected signal came from 47 Tucanae.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by snowen20

Rather it be a scientist than a religious nut.

top topics

join