It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why start a thread and not reply? What is the point of contributing?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
ok so many threads are started and even small threads the Author's just go off and leave it...like they don't even answer/respond?

I can understand bigger threads, they maybe old threads but farout.
It happens so much and not just to me. I read a lot of threads and the Author doesn't even answer a reply...

maybe people are just busy with other threads and forget the thread they have started?

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Thurisaz

Sometimes, I cover everything regarding the subject that I need to in the OP, in which case there's no need to comment further. I'll read the replies and star the ones who make an effort at civility and just let people discuss it among themselves. If there's a facet of the issue I didn't cover and someone points it out, I'll post another comment, but otherwise, I don't really see a need to.

-TheAssoc.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAssociate

thx but I don't mean an individual post out of 10 other posts doesn't get a reply. I refer to the threads where you might be the last person posting and even asking a question and yet, the Author doesn't even bother!

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   

That, I don't know. Could be any number of reasons, from boredom with the thread to abduction by aliens.

One reason could be that they just didn't notice the reply. Try sending the OP a u2u or posting a message on their profile. People like to know that others are interested in their threads and they might give you an answer.

-TheAssoc.
edit on 11-10-2010 by TheAssociate because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAssociate

Yes good idea, might start doing that. I generally check to see the date the thread was started and if it is old, I don't expect a reply...but the recent ones I do. LOL

If I can be bothered to contribute to their thread, at least they could keep an eye on it. I looked at my threads in my profile and the majority are all 'last posts' by me and that is a good thing. (well I think so anyway)

I will try the u2u and if I don't get a response I will make a note of the Author and not bother to contribute to their threads anymore...yanno, like take my bat and ball and go home

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 11:59 PM
link   
I've got to check in some of my old threads... Thanks for reminding me

Sometimes threads just die.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by star in a jar

yes they do. Some of them are bumped up too after a long time so they are easy missed and I am sure that I have done the same. Not with the recent ones though.

the u2u is the go I reckon.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Sometimes you want to see what other people think and let the discussion unfurl without your interference. I've started plenty of threads where my contribution was minimal because of this.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Did you take a closer look at the OP, sometimes (and not just in ATS forums), the OP will reply to a comment made, by editing the OP with their thoughts. It tends to throw off the flow of the thread, and sometimes, it is well written right into the article they wrote, so much so that it isn't even noticed. That is one possibility.

Otherwise, they could have forgotten about it, gotten bored with it, stopped caring... or maybe it was TPTB!!! (I'm oddly reminded of the Stride commercial, where the guy was about to reveal the mystery flavor, and the Stride team busted in on ostriches, and were quite threatening.)

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Hi

When you gou to the messages page you get the following.

Inbox: List of u2u's
replies
out box

when you look at replies you will find every post replied to you with a nice link to get you there and read it yourself.
It's new with the new 2010 AYS and I love it !

Check it out

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 04:45 AM
link   
thanks to you all.

I will check out the new feature... I am so bad with new tech so should take me a while to figure it out, but I will

top topics

join