It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Archaeologists Discover Lost Civilization Under The Melting Arctic

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+28 more 
posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   

As the arctic melts, archaeologists discover a lost civilization (See video in the link)

As the northern ice sheets retreat, perishable items from millennia-old cultures are emerging. Researchers in Norway have discovered everything from shoes to weapons, giving them a glimpse of everyday life thousands of years ago, before the Vikings.

See also:

Link.

Pretty cool.

It is becoming clear that man populated many of the extreme northern and southern ranges of the planet.

I wonder if the remnants of actual structures will be eventually discovered?
edit on 9-10-2010 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
wow
i have always said that im sure under all the north pole antartica and all that, theres probably lost civilisations and maybe many answers to our past

this is really exciting

shame there isnt much info on this at the moment

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Ah yes, The amazing human race.

What will they do if they find a 10,000 military vehicle under the ice in next?

or more importantly, what arent they showing us from this site.

Many artifacts being found and the best they can show us is a leather shoe in the water?

I bet there is more to this find then this link is able to reveal.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Very interesting stuff but do sticks, bows, and arrows indicate a civilization? Hunter groups yes. Civilization (cities) nope.

www.reuters.com...

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by daluniverse
wow
i have always said that im sure under all the north pole antartica and all that, theres probably lost civilisations and maybe many answers to our past

this is really exciting

shame there isnt much info on this at the moment

Actually, there is..

Here is a different location in Canada.

Ancient Weapons Emerge From Melting Arctic Ice

And on Antarctica:

Ancient City Exposed By Melting Ice Shelf

edit on 9-10-2010 by loam because: (no reason given)

+20 more 
posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

civilization - The act or process of civilizing or reaching a civilized state
bows, arrows, etc indicate a group, to co exist, they must be somewhat civilized,

yeah that does sound like it

cool thread.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Every time I hear about a lost civilization like this, I can't help but think of HP Lovecraft stories. Now, if an island with strange buildings suddenly emerges from the sea, I'll really wonder lol.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by pryingopen3rdeye

You provided a definition of the process of reaching a civilized state.

Here is the definition of that civilized state:

An advanced state of intellectual, cultural, and material development in human society, marked by progress in the arts and sciences, the extensive use of record-keeping, including writing, and the appearance of complex political and social institutions.

www.wordnik.com...

The Sumerians had a civilization. There is no indication that the hunter groups in Norway did. Hunter-gatherers do not represent civilization.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Excellent find loam

Looks a good quality shoe for its age the new finds going on of late is amazing maybe one day something will be found that will have the Ho my god factor just never know.

Loam you mite find this interesting if you have not already see it www.crystalinks.com... its got links to others at the bottom just found this but there's lots here.
A well deserved S+F

This links you to main page its a gold mine of info there is everything in here

Link www.crystalinks.com...

Thankyou

edit on 023131p://2010-10-09T14:03:51-05:000910 by mars1 because: to add link

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Hiya Loam.

As the Arctic slowly defrosts we should gain some interesting insights into the lives of of our ancestors and the flora and fauna of the distant past. In recent years we seem to be discovering fascinating evidence of early humans and I anticipate it's just a matter of time before we discover evidence of the wildlife too.

Frozen mammoth have been uncovered in areas around the Arctic circle and Northern tundra, who knows what else might turn up?

Way back, I posted a thread about Otzi the Iceman that discussed how much we can learn from the frozen remains of these ancient cultures and tribes. It's unlikely we'll find many bodies in his preserved state, but they are probably out there....waiting.

Otzi
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c9573a5820ad.jpg[/atsimg]

In British Colombia, a headless body was discovered that dated back thousands of years...Kwaday Dän Ts'inchì. In a rare compromise, the body was returned to the First Nations who then cremated it with ceremonial honours.

Whilst people argue about global warming, there's a good chance that archaeology and anthropology will reap some rewards.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Aww come on Phage, you're already sledgehammering the possibility of something wonderful

Maybe the good stuff is just a few feet below the shoes?

Maybe we'll find original volumes of the tantric yoga along with some legal documents etched into rocks.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Gradius Maximus

I know you're kidding (I think). But you bring up a point that bothers me.

I find the study of ancient, pre-civilized man fascinating. Actually I am more interested in it than I am in the history of civilization. Why do finds like this have to be touted as early civilizations in order to be interesting? Saying that this find is not related to civilization does not mean it is not of great interest. In fact the opposite it true, it gives us information about what was involved with the transitions from hunter-gatherers to true civilization. As boring as that may be to some.

edit on 10/9/2010 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I am certain once they thaw out the poop they will realize it wasn't from the reindeer !

It is sad, all the technology in the World and under the hands of true Scientists and they only get one picture of a leather bootie. I want to see the arrow with the feather intact! The stones under the ice seem to indicate a shoreline exposure without any real topsoil, I would love to see a better topographical outlay. I know someone will say, "to prevent those from pilfering they will not map it for us", but who wants to spend thousands to get to a remote location? Especially knowing the site will rot as soon as it thaws.

We really should get more from our Science Community, we are easily entertained but really we should see everything for all archeological digs; we are after all the descendants and rightful heirs. We are also educated enough to formulate our own hypothesis as well. Too many speculations based on too little information to derive our own thoughts.

I hope they find a Clovis Point to turn the heads a bit!

This is all too Hawass to me!

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

still though, they are finding man made material from a place where there is no modern record of where human beings have been known to live.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   

edit on 9-10-2010 by Gradius Maximus because: double post

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

totally joking. Chances are there is absolutely nothing below the ice.

If I really had to take a guess, this was indeed from a hunting party who would follow the herds of beasts up into the tundras.

But I wonder, how many billions of years is this planet in age?

Is it not possible that we have been here for millions and millions of years as homo sapien yet through the planets own cycles our civilizations are literally erased?

How else do we explain strange artifacts being found 30-800 below sand, gravel or mud?

I would like to know, how long would a modern military tank last in the elements of this world?

20,000 years? 100,000 years?

How long until everything we currently have today turns to dust and the only sign of us is in the stones, which even to gets washed slowly away by rains, thrown about by earthwakes and burried under 800 feet of itself during possible violent pole shifts?

Could civilizations benieth the earth just be another term for everything a civilization had was swallowed up under the ground during the cycle of the planet and they had to start again from the stone age?

Perhaps some of these civilizations are accessible and preserved deep underground with their inhabitants still trapped within, surviving somehow after all this time?

Im getting wayyyy out there now, arent I Phage?

Okay where were we...Leather boot...Gotcha... Definitely a hunting party.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by leira7

Yes. That's one of the things that's so interesting about this find. 10,000 years ago the ice sheets had only just retreated, opening up areas like this. It didn't take long for animals to find their way there and for the people hunting them to follow.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

An advanced state of intellectual, cultural, and material development in human society, marked by progress in the arts and sciences, the extensive use of record-keeping, including writing, and the appearance of complex political and social institutions.

The problem with your text-book definition, Phage, is that it is self-defiining: Civilizations 'R US! Yahoo!..We did it! We made the arbitary cut. Yahoo, again!

We have invinted what we want to believe defines a civilization by looking in a mirror, how egotistical!.

A communty of individuals with a common form of communication can rightly be called a civilization. Who's to say what marks a civilization? Just those that think they have achieved a new model of can opener every year? Bah! Is the high mark of a civilization the ability to destroy the entirel world in a matter of seconds? No. that is just a perverted type of civilization.

The smallest tribe of any race is a civilization unto itself. So what if it does take fourteen generations to develop a durable style of mocccasin design? Does time count in this determinaton? Or is it solely viewpoint? It is not the place for smug strangers to those ways different to pass judgements about who is civilized and who are savages, barbarians or civilians. That is eighteenth century English aristocrotic thinking..

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I wonder just how significant this is, after all these items (if we are being shown everything) probably weren't thrown out on purpose since they were extremely valuable in the time, skill and valuables it took to make them. If they found a whole village frozen in time, that would be something but if it's just random stuff like lost weapons and shoes lost after a nasty spill in the water during hunting trips, it's not indictative that a civilization ever settled in that area.
edit on 9-10-2010 by star in a jar because: hunting trips

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aliensun

Originally posted by Phage

The problem with your text-book definition, Phage, is that it is self-defiining: Civilizations 'R US! Yahoo!..We did it! We made the arbitary cut. Yahoo, again!

We have invinted what we want to believe defines a civilization by looking in a mirror, how egotistical!.

A communty of individuals with a common form of communication can rightly be called a civilization. Who's to say what marks a civilization? Just those that think they have achieved a new model of can opener every year? Bah! Is the high mark of a civilization the ability to destroy the entirel world in a matter of seconds? No. that is just a perverted type of civilization.

The smallest tribe of any race is a civilization unto itself.

So, first you ask "Who's to say?" and then you tell us it is YOU that gets to say what a civilization is!

Please. Civilization is an anthropological classification for a type of culture. It is a term used in Anthropology and is thus Athropology's term to define, not yours.

The fact that the word "civilization" is used in various other ways by the general public in no way invalidates the anthropological or sociological understanding of the word in regards to categorizing various types of human cultures.

Harte

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join