It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Archaeologists Discover Lost Civilization Under The Melting Arctic

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam

As the arctic melts, archaeologists discover a lost civilization (See video in the link)

As the northern ice sheets retreat, perishable items from millennia-old cultures are emerging. Researchers in Norway have discovered everything from shoes to weapons, giving them a glimpse of everyday life thousands of years ago, before the Vikings.

See also:

Link.

Pretty cool.

It is becoming clear that man populated many of the extreme northern and southern ranges of the planet.

I wonder if the remnants of actual structures will be eventually discovered?
edit on 9-10-2010 by loam because: (no reason given)

Since when does a shoe and a throwing stick and a couple of other things constitute a "lost civilization"? More likely a hunter died whilst in the field. Where's his body? Hey look for bear poop and do a DNA test.

tt
edit on 9-10-2010 by trailertrash because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Gradius Maximus

Or something like a 10,000 year old AK47. More and more things are showing up in places they should not or could not be. I wonder just how much we are not told about what is found.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I was really impressed with how the arrow didn't look much different from an arrow today. It was amazing how the feathers were put on. So simple and perfect for killing.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Finds like this may be proof positive that global warming and cooling are
NATURAL phenomena that come and go over the eons of time.
-CWM

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by carewemust

I agree with you.

As I said previously, it certainly demonstrates man lived at at the northern most and southern most extremes of the planet. I assume that was during some relatively temperate times, but perhaps not.

It's worth looking into.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   
As the Artic Melts

Here is a link showing some video on this subject. Sorry if someone else already linked it.

Who knows what we will find if and when all the ice melts. Just think of what may be under all the ice and snow in Antarctica. The Earth is how old? Do we really think that we are the 1st; the one and only intelligent life to inhabit this planet?

I feel the chances are better than average that we were not the 1st and the way we are going, won't be the last.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 12:57 AM
link   
If hunters fallowed animals into this area, who is to say they did not set up some sort of camp? If these hunters knew food was going to be abundent in these areas for some time to come, then who is to say they did not build or make this area their home? I dont get how people can throw the word civilized around and determine who was or wasnt civilized. All it takes is two humans of liked minds and interest to be civalized. Phage, you are a very interesting individual and seem to have a lot of source. In most threads I read, you seem to have an answer for everything. In most cases, you have valid points and can browse the internet pretty well. This topic is all speculation and not one single person knows what really went on in this area. Just abunch of he said she said, unless you were physically there to see what was actually unearthed. We cant say civalized or not civalized just because what is released to the public. What are they looking in that area for? What are they really finding and what are they supposed to be looking for? There is a plan intact here and to know the whole truth would be really something to discuss.

lightmeup04

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 02:20 AM
link   
s&f

I love this kind of stuff. Great find!

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Interesting, I wonder what else will be found as the ice melts more. I noticed they stated they found small items like a shoe, arrows and so on. Could it be possible these items were swept north by the ocean currents and then frozen in time, just a thought….. But it if they do find more evidence of actual communities settling in these parts it would a nice find!

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Throwing a Log

Archaeologists Discover Lost Civilization Under The Melting Arctic
www.forevergeek.com...

As glaciers continue to melt and ice retreats in areas around the world, archaeologists continue to discover new civilizations. As io9 points out, last summer a 10,000 year-old atlatl (a hunting weapon) was found as ice thawed.

10,000-year-old weapon found in melting glacier Note: With Video of the Atlatl !
io9.com...

The Hunting Weapon that was found
Atlatl the ( Explanation and Science about it ! ) Not Bad 10,000 Year old Tech ..

Among the items they are attempting to preserve is a 3400 year old leather shoe, a perfectly preserved arrow complete with feather and even ancient smells released from preserved reindeer droppings.

3,400 year old shoe ? Ok The Shoe does not fit in the Environment does it ? Cold Ice Winter etc..
Maybe back then ? or is the Shoe around the Same age as the Atlatl ? Flood , The Deluge Earth Tilt
it look's Similar to a Roman Shoe sandal ?

Ice Age (crystallinks.com )
www.crystalinks.com...

Nice Find I would Like to see more Pics

edit on 10-10-2010 by Wolfenz because: link and video

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Cool find.
Very sad that half the thread here about it is spent arguing over the definition of a word: civilization.
The definition of the word has nothing to do with the coolness of the find, and hopefully more to come.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Honestly, i think there is a dating flaw. I also believe that man existed at the same time as the dinos were dying out... excellant find. i just need to see proof that they actually drilled the ice and took some organic material for carbod dating. So far i have not seen anything on the net that says they drilled to take a sample.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by loam

Originally posted by daluniverse
wow
i have always said that im sure under all the north pole antartica and all that, theres probably lost civilisations and maybe many answers to our past

this is really exciting

shame there isnt much info on this at the moment

Actually, there is..

Here is a different location in Canada.

Ancient Weapons Emerge From Melting Arctic Ice

And on Antarctica:

Ancient City Exposed By Melting Ice Shelf

edit on 9-10-2010 by loam because: (no reason given)

I would just like to point out that your second link was an April fools hoax.

Good thread OP, thanks for posting.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 06:21 AM
link   
So far it looks more like a lost society rather than a civilization.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 07:26 AM
link   
i wonder if that shoe is nike or adidas? maybe reboke

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 07:48 AM
link   
I think there's undiscovered ruins under the desert sands of Egypt and Sahara

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Since no one mentioned it yet...

I wonder if they'll ever find a dinosaur with it's skin intact frozen alive in some ice somewhere.

And I hope they don't find a long-buried virus, waiting patiently and immortally in the ice, to ravage mankind.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by ragsntatters
I think there's undiscovered ruins under the desert sands of Egypt and Sahara

The Sahara has not alwaya been a desert. At one time it was most like a rain forest.
Sahara history

A sand storm can cover a city overnight with ease. There is no telling with is under all that sand.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by DGFenrir
So far it looks more like a lost society rather than a civilization.

Yes. It's not so lost post-glacial hunter gatherers.

reply to post by fixer1967

The Sahara was savannah for a brief period during the Holocene Climatic Optimum before orbital shifts led to the Neoglacial and the current* increase in ice cover in the N Hemisphere. Most of it's recent history has been as a desert.

* until humans b*ggered things up

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Now imagine for a second that there is an advanced civilization under the ice. . . . . .Underwater Pyramid

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join