It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mayan Calendar Questionable (Debunked?)

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Dont you think that "2012"...something of this importance should have been written on their calender ? But nooo...they just end it right before "some big galactic event ?...well that's not very wise.

They just became another civilisation, they didnt die off or dissapeared. Maybe they stopped writing on stone coz they discovered paper.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
The calendar does not end in 2012...that is a myth. It continues for many thousands more years if people would take the time to read 3 minutes of Google responses.

Unfortunately snake oil salesmen cannot sell a book that says everything will be just fine. Hysteria and terror sells, something promoters know only too well.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by rajaten

The galactic alignment is a FACT.

You cant debunk REALITY.

The reality is that an alignment happens every year. This year is no better than any other year. If anything the alignment is worse than 1998 and will continue to be less of an alignment over the coming years. That is the reality.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Le Colonel

Im sure that all the calenders are off, clocks too. Even the world famous Atomic clock needs to be adjusted since even it cannot keep track of time perfectly.

Actually, atomic clocks are incredibly accurate. It's the Earth's movements that are not consistent. The clocks are adjusted to match the Earth's movements.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by graceunderpressure

I doubt that people in the world expect something to happen in 2012. It is the thoughts of a small number of people on the internet thinking that everyone is concerned about 2012.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
One of the issues that appears to be lot to many believers in the hoax called 2012 is that one of the earliest authors cooked up predictions for 2012 and then claimed that they were Mayan in origin. It is this book, I do not recall the title, that has led to the urban myth of disaster associated with 2012. A few year later there are a number of authors with other books getting on the bandwagon of selling snake oil and the original hoax is lost and forgotten.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by tomdham

Great post, And yes I wish people would stop believing it's going to be a end, Its the beginning of a new cycle, And hopefully things will change for the better I have put a 2 part video below, I know it's a lot to watch, but well worth it. Explains how the calender works, and then even us as humans. Take care

Love and peace

Rick

www.mayanmajix.com...

www.mayanmajix.com...
edit on 10-10-2010 by keepingaopenmind because: Had to put link instead, video did not work

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by keepingaopenmind

This is based off the work of Carl Calleman. It's a complete hoax. The stela at Coba depicts a much older universe than what Lungold and Calleman claim. Don't even get me started on Monument 6 at Tortuguero, which is the other main monument that Calleman used to "support" his "theory."

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

Yes you are correct, But they did bring up some very good points, about us as humans, And the calender, they are only going by what they have discovered so far. Myself I believe the universe is infinite, no beginning and no end, which therefore is no center. You can take it from there. Take good care

Love and peace

Rick

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   
End of the Earth Postponed

A new critique, published as a chapter in the new textbook "Calendars and Years II: Astronomy and Time in the Ancient and Medieval World" (Oxbow Books, 2010), argues that the accepted conversions of dates from Mayan to the modern calendar may be off by as much as 50 or 100 years. That would throw the supposed and overhyped 2012 apocalypse off by decades and cast into doubt the dates of historical Mayan events. (The doomsday worries are based on the fact that the Mayan calendar ends in 2012, much as our year ends on Dec. 31.)

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Does this mean on december 31st 2011 when our calendar runs out WE WILL ALL DIE? Makes me laugh how people think just becouse a civilisation dated a calendar up till 2012 we will all die i mean cmon people they cut peoples hearts out for the gods they AND chopped peoples heads off untill they thought there got was pleased with them.

I highly doubt if i showed them something as simple as a spoon they would know what to do with it so how can they predict the end of the world?

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by LvSLoLo

I wouldn't be criticising the mental capacity of ancient cultures if I was posting in a long dead thread.

But that's just me

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Something scared them into thinking the sun was going turn off if a victim wasn't sacrificed to Tonatuih, the Aztec sun god. I wonder if some darkening event happened in mankind's history and the Olmec calendar identified its anniversary. If the sun turns off after December 21, 2012 there's going to be a mad dash to get a new victim for Tonatuih.

The original Aztec sun stone found in Mexico

This reminds me of the Ouroboros myth which encompasses many cultures. It's the snake eating its tail symbol.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by keepingaopenmind

The claims of Lungold and Calleman are not researched; they are invented. Those 2 have made many huge mistakes in their wild tales. One of their mistakes is to claim that all Mayan pyramids have 9 steps. Not true.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by lostinspace

Your are mixing the Mayan and Aztec cultures. The Aztecs did not use the long count calendar.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join