It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Duke Grad's 'Sex Thesis' Flunks Internet 101

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Duke Grad's 'Sex Thesis' Flunks Internet 101

www.aolnews.com

a 2010 Duke University graduate who wrote a 42-page fake thesis, complete with PowerPoint, bar graphs and photographs, detailing her sexual adventures with 13 male athletes, whom she names. She called it "excelling in the art of horizontal academics" and sent it to three friends. One posted it on the Internet.
Now it's gone viral, embroiling the prestigious North Carolina college in another sex scandal involving members of the lacrosse team.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:

jezebel.com...#-list-goes-viral-gallery
edit on 8-10-2010 by Wang Tang because: formatting

edit on 10/8/2010 by 12m8keall2c because: fixed title and source link

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
There are several different viewpoints presented by different sources on this story. The primary source link, from Aol News, presents a viewpoint condemning her lack of judgement, while the second link, from Jezebel, presents the viewpoint of someone amused with the whole ordeal.

So which side are you on? Are you amused by the lack of judgement among college kids, or do you condemn them?

And not only does this bring up a question about the disappearance of online privacy, it also brings up the issue of the prevalence of hook-ups in college. Just for this "experiment" alone, she hooked up with THIRTEEN guys. And most college students would pass this off as normal. Is this behavior a result of a problem within American society, or is it an acceptable change in morals and views on sex?

edit on 8-10-2010 by Wang Tang because: formatting

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Wang Tang

She' probably at least a 22 year old grown woman. Disgusting. This isn't the most serious thing in the world, but....

I think finding 13 athletes to sleep with and authoring a 42 page manuscript complete with charts and graphs and then not thinking this was going to spread once you sent it to your friends ON THE INTERNET, is beyond a "lapse in judgement."

This is just another lame sororawhore who got through college on communications classes and daddy's money.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Holy Cow that's hilarious! Talk about dedication to your work.

It was no friend that put it on the net though.

I mean if me and my girlfriends wanna laugh about our sex lives and make charts and stuff, who cares?

But to post it online with names is low class tacky and nasty.

I wonder if any of the guys named could feel repercussions from this stunt?

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I dont know which is worse, being listed a bad lover or being some black out drunk who lists 'hook-ups' she cant remember.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
And the question remains: 15-minutes of fame as a whorish woman who views sexual encounters as casual amusement, or a lifetime in the entertainment industry?

Wanna bet which way this goes?

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by snusfanatic

You bring up a good point about how she is going through college probably on her parents' money. How would you feel if you were a parent paying for your girl's college education and her senior thesis is on her examination of her past thirteen hookups? How do you feel if you ARE a parent with kids?

I know I would be like... really? Something feels wrong in me that parents are paying for a very expensive college education so that their kids can party and get laid and who wins in the end? The colleges.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I see no problem with this whatsoever.

However, I will see a significant problem as soon as it starts to impact the lives of those athletes. It is extremely unfair the way that college athletes are treated. This could result in suspensions and loss of scholarships and hardships from any number of directions. All of which is completely unfounded. The sex is consensual and legal among adults, but NCAA and University boards like to make examples of athletes that don't portray an entirely boy scout persona. Especially if the athletes in question are not big money earners for the University. The big-time division I football and basketball stars tend to get a lot of "understanding" and "second-chances," but if you are just a role player on an obscure sports team, they take the opportunity to make an example out of you.

I don't see any problem with what the girl did, and I don't see any problem with what the guys did. Now, let's see if the University and NCAA can keep their hands off of this.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
"excelling in the art of horizontal academics"

How is finding 13 men to have sex with "excelling"? If the common beliefs about men's sexual desires are true, then it wouldn't be difficult to find 13 men to have sex with.

Unless she's on the large side...

...which, now that I think about it, would make sense. Who writes a thesis about their sexual history unless sex is not a common event in their life?

People like her should be banned from reproducing.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Wang Tang

College is becoming a joke. My mentor for my honor's thesis who had been at my college for almost 30 years was almost ready to retire early. He told me in a private conversation that at one end the professors have completely lost power to enforce basic minimum standards of competence and respect, and on the other the administration lets in dumber and dumber kids but wants to micromanage the affairs of the faculty.

My question about this girl is, how is this going to play itself out in the PC media when one of these athletes starts experiencing difficulties.

There's been a rash lately of these 'bully suicides' which are kids who's sex life is either made public or ridiculed online or between friends at their schools. What makes this little pop tart different than those bullys? Here behavior is exactly the same....

Oh wait....i forgot, you can't be a bully if you're a sexually-liberated woman and you can't be a victim if you're a straight male. oops. my bad.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Well, she's an adult and she gets to sleep with who and how many she wants to. For that, I don't judge and really could care less. As for the paper, charts, graphs, etc. I think that's hilarious (albeit immature, but not so atypical of college students) and let's not forget that guys have been doing this stuff for ages (the rankings and points systems, etc.) all this isn't new. As for the internet reveal - a really big OOPS there... she has no one to blame for herself, on that one. She should have kept the only copy.

With regards to the guys and lives this may ruin - this is the unintentional side effect of thoughtless action and I have sympathy for them. They don't deserve the attention that will be focused on them due to selfishness of another.

edit on 8-10-2010 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I still don't get why she was so hooked on size, and male aggression in the bed room. Everyone gets to have their own preferences, but to me, most of her encounters sounded really superficial and based purely off of the physical.

I don't know if she talked about full on foreplay (covering all bases for BOTH parties) once. Sometimes, I think chicks like her love playing the slutty role, for attention, for kicks, for anything but love, and to each her own I suppose (?)

what's it all for? I mean, most of those times she hooked up, it wasn't even good! Does she just want bragging rights?

Whatever, you know what, I don't care.
One less slut for me to worry about after she's gone from her 15mn.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by leira7

what's it all for? I mean, most of those times she hooked up, it wasn't even good! Does she just want bragging rights?

Because when you have no wants or desires or dreams or ambitions or any identity of your own you default back to doing "what youre supposed to do."

For her and many, many, many teens and twenty somethings virtually anonymous "hooking up" is what you're supposed to do. Because it's "fun."

You see them every weekend packed into bars, vomiting on the street, and climbing into strangers cars.

Didnt you know, self medicating and psychologically and emotionally stunting behavior is fun?

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by Maxmars

I see no problem with this whatsoever.

In the final analysis, what you and I think is of little relevance. There are a number of conjectural issues that one could raise about the behavior; but ultimately, as many have repeated, she's an adult and is free conduct herself in whatever manner she wants to - the consequences being hers.

I agree the 'sportsman' angle is problematic. But how external organizations respond to this is not of her making; so again, it is of little consequence to her.

My reference is what the media can do with this, and what they will do with this. More 'Reality TV' fodder, perhaps? This is the kind of behavior that feminist organizations would trash Penthouse readers for fantasizing about. I bet the interview dollars are warming up right now.

At any rate, my bet is on the sensationalistic amusement of the invariably underestimated public. Especially Joe and Jane college student - investing time, and burdening themselves (or their parents) with debt, to make a better future for themselves.... That was what she was at college for right? Or was it something else?

I suspect she regrets something about all this, probably not as intensely as her 'partners.' Let's hope STD's don't come into play... or unplanned parenthood.....

I'm just glad I can count on my daughters to see the tragedy in this story without me having to pontificate about it.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by PETROLCOIN

Unless she's on the large side...

I assure you she's not on the large side, quite good looking actually, the second link on the OP actually has videos that show what she looks like.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
That was one of the funniest things I've read in ages! I can't believe that some people are taking this seriously, whilst probably taking notes at the same time.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Sounds like typical College life to me.

Funny how people who didn't experience this themselves (probably due to a number of anti-social behaviors) (or College at all) look down on this.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by inivux

ah, no. i definately experienced college. plenty of parties and some of the best and worst sex of my life. i just don't find making 42 page descriptive essays about the people i was with and being lazy/stupid enough to let my friends circulate it online to be very admirable or even typical for that matter.

this is just another example of how sex obsessed and vapid we're becoming. sex and college are normal. THIS is not normal. this is gross.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by PETROLCOIN

"excelling in the art of horizontal academics"

How is finding 13 men to have sex with "excelling"? If the common beliefs about men's sexual desires are true, then it wouldn't be difficult to find 13 men to have sex with.

Totally AGREED!!!

I have always hung out in the Athletic crowd, and I have seen lines 13 people long waiting for their turn with these drunk groupies hoping to hook up with a future millionaire!

Getting 13 men on film with you would take less than 1 night if that was your only intention.

There is no doubt that some of the "urban legends" about big party school athletes and parties is based in fact. I have some films that would put hers to shame! Girls do some pretty stupid things when in the presence of a bunch of sexy, athletic men that are soon to be rich. Hell, girls do some pretty stupid things in the presence of men with any one of those attributes, so imagine a drunk girl in a room full of men having all 3 attributes!

So, her idea is novel and entertaining, but her scorecard is pretty lacking. Plus, she didn't even hit up the "main" sports. She stuck to obscure sports and very approachable athletes. She would have had a best-seller and talk-show tour if she had worked a little harder to get bigger names into her bed.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by inivux

I wouldnt say I "look down" on it. It is what it is. And what it is unhealthy. Spoken from personal experience and having reflected on it a decade later.

I wouldnt call her a "whore" or myself as a male a "stud" for participating in such behavior but the fact is she participated in risky, unhealthy and self destructive behavior. As did I.

You're free to participate yourself without my judging you. Just dont kid yourself about what it is youre doing and why youre doing it. You might not see it now or even ten or fifteen years later. You might very well go to your grave not knowing really why you do it or did it. Lots of people do. They're like type 2 retards. Fully grown and normal adults who are incapable of maturing beyond their high school or college years. Depending on where theyre stuck their symptoms may differ. But theyre definitely stuck.

We've all seen the 40 year old who acts like she's in high school or the 50 year old who still thinks he's in college or even the 60 year old who refuses to let grad-school go. These were their respective "good years" and they refuse to move beyond them no matter how ridiculous their behavior and attitudes may be.

One isnt lesser or greater than the other. It just is what it is.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join