It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Europe under threat from massive chemical spill

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Around 600,000-700,000 cubic metres of red sludge from a alumina plant reservoir has leaked onto farmland and is heading towards the Danube River. The leak began on Monday 04th Oct after the reservoir burst its banks.

This sludge consists of heavy metals and Arsenic and has so far killed 4 people with another 120 injured.

Greenpeace say that this could be "one of the top three environmental disasters in Europe in the last 20 or 30 years"

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1d3629fb87bc.gif[/atsimg]

This is very worrying and could eventually affect the Black Sea and possibly even the Med. This is a massive disaster

For more info...

www.itv.com...

news.sky.com... 5753212_RescueOperationUnderwayAfterToxicRedSludgeFloodsTownsInHungary&lpos=searchresults

www.bbc.co.uk...
edit on 6-10-2010 by Muckster because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-10-2010 by Muckster because: Edit to embed video and add a little update

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Oh this can't be good!

You would of thought the oil spills would of gotten people working in sensitively harsh industries such as chemical plants and oil refineries to book up their ideas and work on better safety precautions!

I do not by any means condone these plants!

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
This is mad, I have been following this for the last couple of days. It sounds horrific and the damage to the people effected could last for years to come. people will have been breathing in radioactive dust and all sorts of other nasty stuff. Its worrying its heading for the Danube. will keep a close eye on this one.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I've seen it on the news tonight. They were interviewing one guy that said his wife was in hospital with "burns" from her hips downwards!

How radioactive is it?

The Danube goes through five Country's and is used as a drinking supply.

Terible news.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
We humas are a parasitic organism on this planet, if we can f** it up we will. Oil, toxic waste, radioactive material dumping, deforestation.
How can we crap in our own living environment? and for what? profit? return to shareholders?

I feel it comes down to this - if we dont clean up our act, mother earth will, and that will include us!

Greed more greed and the chase for worthless paper.

I am so fed up with watching such disasters and they seem to occur more and more often.

I hope all the poeople affected revover soon. its just terrific how polluted that place is now and if it hits the Danube, SHTF scenario.
edit on 6-10-2010 by remrem because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-10-2010 by remrem because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I'm not trying to sidetrack the thread or anything but this prediction by Nostradamus seems rather weird.

During a period of continuing unrest, the leader of a Middle Eastern country will be able to obtain a nuclear weapon. He will go to the greatest lengths over the smallest things and will not hesitate to use the weapon because of his obsessions with deadly warfare. The people he is warring against retaliate with a nuclear weapon. The country has a coast on the Mediterranean.

One of the bombs will land in the Mediterranean instead of the land, poisoning all the fish. The passages of trade in the region will be disrupted so that the people on the other coast will be desperate for food and will eat the fish anyway. It will happen near the east coast of the Mediterranean in a region of dark-colored cliffs.

What if instead of a nuclear weapon it is actually the red sludge? Anythings possible right?

www.nostradamusonline.com...

Anyway I hope the best for the people of Hungary, Eastern Europe and anywhere else this red sludge may effect.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Wow this is bad. What are they thinking making such potential messes even to be possible? Now is it worth the risk? Bet the people behind such a place is not in harms way. I say stick them in the mess. But we know the money people won`t get any of this stuff on their soft skin they have lower class people for that.

My heart goes out to those effected by this even if they didn`t care what BP is doing in my neck of the woods. Just cover it with sand it will be ok. And don`t be afraid to drink the water.
Another reason 2012 is looking pretty accurate as being the end. How much damage can we do?

Thanks OP for posting this.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Things like this anger and frustrate the heck out of me. It's no wonder so many of us are depressed. We have seen too much, heard too much and have had enough. Still, bad things continue to happen over and over and over again. Most of mankind wants changes for the better but we are all controlled by the powers that be.

We must take care of our people and the planet. There must be priorities. There must be compassion.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Well one more negative effect of this sludge is that all the soil will not be able to grow any crops. It's a huge blow to agriculture there, ruining businesses. It's pretty bad.

It's also a pain in the behind to clean up.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 03:39 AM
link   
That's terrible.

I am surprised waste this toxic isn't stored in containers, as that would allow it to be shipped easier and lessen the risk of spills.

I don't get it. Maybe there is a reason it is being pooled into a "lake" like that. Seems sort of risky, as we can see why in the photos.

They said Arsenic and other heavy metals? Who knows what kind of funky stuff that sludge is made of.

They are doing a large evacuation of the area maybe? I didn't see if it was reported.
edit on 7-10-2010 by muzzleflash because: grammer

edit on 7-10-2010 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Absolutely disgusting. How can something like this even be possible? I bet the people responsible aren't even natives of the country. I hope they get their arse's sued off. How longer is mother earth going to put up with the constant crap launched against her? It seems as though we are waging war with our own planet... sad times.
Gulf oil spill, this and i recently saw the video showing how many nuclear detonations have happened on our planet. I'm speechless and i just feel like ranting so i'm going to leave it there... speechless...

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir
I'm not trying to sidetrack the thread or anything but this prediction by Nostradamus seems rather weird.

During a period of continuing unrest, the leader of a Middle Eastern country will be able to obtain a nuclear weapon. He will go to the greatest lengths over the smallest things and will not hesitate to use the weapon because of his obsessions with deadly warfare. The people he is warring against retaliate with a nuclear weapon. The country has a coast on the Mediterranean.

One of the bombs will land in the Mediterranean instead of the land, poisoning all the fish. The passages of trade in the region will be disrupted so that the people on the other coast will be desperate for food and will eat the fish anyway. It will happen near the east coast of the Mediterranean in a region of dark-colored cliffs.

What if instead of a nuclear weapon it is actually the red sludge? Anythings possible right?

www.nostradamusonline.com...

Anyway I hope the best for the people of Hungary, Eastern Europe and anywhere else this red sludge may effect.

lol. are u serious? if u think this is a nostradamus prediction then i will give u this nice tupac song

www.youtube.com...

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
here is a scary update

Toxic sludge reaches Danube

this is not looking good...

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Not to make light of the situation but it certainly seems like companies have the butterfingers as of late, if not one spill causes problems today then certainly another will tomorrow or so it seems.

Though I do hope they will get this situated rather soon, especially for that person who works on the farmland that has to be a massive hit for the person especially if they survive on that for their lively hood.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

This is terrible news on all fronts. My heart goes to the people.
Crops are already under distress, this will make it worse. The next several years are shaping up to be
unusually bad for wheat, and other staples.

S&F

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

The sludge is not radioactive, it is alkeline. It is highly corrosive thus why people have been burnt on contact with it.

Latest reports say that it has spread to the Danubes tributaries and has extinguished all aquatic life in its path..

This is a huge disaster, worse in some ways than the gulf coast oil slick. The clean up will be immense. Whole top soil for miles radius will have to be cleared. That does not include the damage to the water table and aquatic life...

The human race huh? Destroying the earth one mile at a time..

edit on 7-10-2010 by Yissachar1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
double posted sorry dont know how it happen..lol
edit on 7-10-2010 by snapperski because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
honestly,you can't make this stuff up......how can this happen,this is devastating.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e50c188d5d5b.jpg[/atsimg]

A wave of toxic mud was unleashed Monday from the reservoir of an aluminium plant at Ajka, 160 kilometres (100 miles) west of Budapest. The red mud travelled down the Raab river and reached the Danube waters at around 0630 GMT at Gyor.

this is moveing fast,we should all be very worried,surely we should have every european government joining force's in stopping this spreading,but all the MSM in the uk seem more concerned with babbling on about the economy.
edit on 7-10-2010 by snapperski because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
There was lots on this morning's news about this. There was someone from the EU explaining how each country it hits has to ask for help, no one is allowed to just step in because of sovereignty. It's a shame countries do not ask for help on time. Now the sludge is in the Danube, land red, rivers red.

Those houses it ran through will never be inhabitable. If this sludge dries and turns dusty, it is still toxic. If it gets in someone's eyes, it is said to cause instant permanent blindness.

This is even more toxic than the BP oil gusher.

news.yahoo.com...

Local environmentalists say they have tried to call the government's attention to the risks of red sludge for years, pointing to a 2003 report in which they estimated the waste at 30 million tons. "Accumulated during decades ... red sludge is, by volume, the largest amount of toxic waste in Hungary," the Clear Air Action Group said, adding that producing one ton of alumina resulted in two tons of toxic waste.
MAL Rt., the Hungarian Aluminum Production and Trade Company that owns the Ajka plant, said that according to European Union standards, the red sludge was not considered toxic waste. The company also denied that it should have taken more precautions to shore up the reservoir.

So the company responsible for this, did not consider the waste to be toxic. I'll bet that argument isn't going to hold up well, considering it's killed, and is still killing people, pets, wildlife, aquatic life, and anything else in its way.

Robert Kis, Erdelyi's husband, said his uncle had been taken to Budapest by helicopter after the sludge "burned him to the bone."

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
You all seem very worried about this.. but isn't this waste from aluminium production? Not so many seem worried about using fluoride toothpaste that is a bi-product of aluminum production?

If you sum up all off the toxic toothpaste being used around the world, this spill is just literally a drop in the ocean.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join