It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What happened BEFORE the big bang?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 05:19 AM
link   
I just spent quite a while searching this. I saw there was alot of threads covering the big bang, and how it never happenned or where the material came from for the big bang to happen. But what happened before the big bang?
Was there anything, or nothing? Did everything just suddenly pop up?

Me, personally, don't subscribe to any preset rule for how the whole universe came into exsistense. I understand that alot of discussions about the subject matter is mostly theory. So I will now give my personal theory, if I may.

I believe there might have been a big bang. I further believe that there has been many big bangs happenning since even before the beginning of time. Our universe came into life via the big bang. And I believe it will end via a big bang.

And after us, there will be another big bang, creating another new universe. It is an endless cycle, going on forever, into infinity. Whole universis being created and collapsed the whole time.

So in a nutshell, my theory: Before the big bang, there was another universe, it collapsed, via a big bang, a "new" big bang happened and our universe was created.

For all we know there might have been many many big bangs happening,

Please give me your ideas and theories, will be greatly appreciated. Let's have a discussion about the topic.

VVV

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 05:22 AM
link   
I believe in the Big Bang Theory and here is why. Look at the state of what we have in the universe. Can you imagine all this stuff forming together and then setting of a huge explosion?

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Before implies that there was time. There is no before.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 05:26 AM
link   
reply to post by 547000

Is time not the only constant? Everything is measured in time.
Even "before" there must have been something.

VVV

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 05:29 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

Time is a difficult word to explain. Us, Humans use time. Maybe we're bound to time and we shouldn't really be bounded by time. My God I have gone cross eyed.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 05:29 AM
link   
If something exists beyond time it always was, is, and always will be.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 05:33 AM
link   
reply to post by 547000

Indeed, but for that, time needs to be constant. The time before the big bang is still the time we are in today, yesterday and forever.

vvv

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 05:33 AM
link   

But the universe is expanding and accelerating, there is not enough matter in the universe to stop it.
Like many people I don’t believe the big bang happed from nothing, matter is energy and energy is matter perhaps then there was an energy explosion that generated the matter – just a thought.
MJ2

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 05:34 AM
link   
I'd love some sort of answer or theory about this. I ask it all the time and either get babbling in response or some nonsensical ramblings about somebodys "god."

I don't care about your "god." I want a real answer.

Last year this physicist, I forget his name, published a book titled "Before the Big Bang" and it got my hopes up. Turned out to just be a history of theories before the "Big Bang" theory.

A complete waste of time to read.

Seems weak and silly to just cast it off as "who cares?" or "it doesn't matter because there was no time."

Something was there. There had to be a precursor to the bang.

The he's I've come across is a cyclical universe. One that constantly expands then contracts. Exploding out then collapsing in only to explode out again. But then that begs the question: how did that cycle start? I have a hard time accepting "always is always was" thought. Seems like a cop out. Really no different then claiming some old man in the sky started the whole thing.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 05:34 AM
link   

What was before the big bang?

The big quite.
Then the big fuse laying.
Then the big lighter, lighting the big fuse.
Then a big fizzy noise as the big fuse hissed.
The the sound of feet running swiftly away from the big fizzy noise as the big fuse hissed.
Then, there was a big bang.
edit on 6/10/10 by atlasastro because: BANG.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 05:36 AM
link   
I am not a huge fan of the Big Bang Theory but i'll give it a shot:

I just put the possibility of our universe beeing a tiny tiny element of a rizecorn of a bigger universe aside, as well as all the other possibilities that in my eyes are no scientific approaches based on what science knows by now:

Imho (with the asumption that the Big Bang Theory is true) before the Big Bang there was a perfect symmetry, a perfect balance of the force. ( As far as i know, the 4 major forces (gravity, electromagnetism,..) derivated just after the big bang from one force).
So with everything in balance, there was no time, no space, just this very small (or very big b/c of no space arround it) point that united everything.

One may speculate that there where other big bangs before this one but i highly doubt it: as they say the universe is expanding there is no way it's gonna colapse again (if the space is infinitly big).

Sorry for my english :/ Most of the stuff i read about astrophysics was in german :/

But to come to my conclusion: Before the Big Bang there was... not nothing...hard to explain with no time and space present... but just an endless stade of 'balance'. And then somehow a little asymmetry happend and well the rest is in every Science 101 book.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 05:37 AM
link   
reply to post by majestictwo

Might also be an option. But what happens when it does gets to a point where the universe does stop expanding and accelerating? Will it perhaps implode?

My idea is that the universe, as we know it, is not a unique thing. There has been many before, and there will be many after this one. It expands, and collapses, and then repeats the cycle.

VVv

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 05:39 AM
link   

We talk in time, but that's because we are bound in it. The big bang is t=0. Absolute negative times don't physically exist, only relative ones do.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Time and space came into being at the point of the big bang, there was no "before" because there was no time for that "before" to exist within.

Think of the universe as a sphere, expanding continually since the big bang. Outside of that sphere there is no space and time, the edge is marked by a singularity and we do not understand what happens there, possibly space/time just warps back on itself.

Now imagine that the same rules apply in the dimension of time, the sphere is four dimensional and the big bang is simply the far edge of space/time in the dimension of time.

edit: typos

edit on 6-10-2010 by Crayfish because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 05:43 AM
link   

The he's I've come across is a cyclical universe. One that constantly expands then contracts. Exploding out then collapsing in only to explode out again. But then that begs the question: how did that cycle start? I have a hard time accepting "always is always was" thought. Seems like a cop out. Really no different then claiming some old man in the sky started the whole thing.
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I tend to agree with this theory. As to the question, how did the cycle start? I have some very very far out theories about that, but for fear of ridicule I don't want to post it.

VVV

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 05:43 AM
link   

That's what I intuitively used to believe too.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 05:46 AM
link   

You know that they found out that the expantion of the universe is accelerating.

@ Big Bang --> t=0 :

Time is bound to space an vice versa. With no space, no time, you get the idea.

So therefore i call it symmetry (the thing before the big bang). Perfectly balanced at 0 (zero). Then the asymmetry happened and the clocks started ticking

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep
reply to post by majestictwo

Might also be an option. But what happens when it does gets to a point where the universe does stop expanding and accelerating? Will it perhaps implode?

My idea is that the universe, as we know it, is not a unique thing. There has been many before, and there will be many after this one. It expands, and collapses, and then repeats the cycle.

VVv

Well it won't implode there isn’t enough matter to allow gravity to pull it back again, it will continue until basically nothing. As I understand it it’s a once off universe unless this universe collides with another universe expanding in our direction then just possibly there is your big bang

MJ2

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by 547000

We talk in time, but that's because we are bound in it. The big bang is t=0. Absolute negative times don't physically exist, only relative ones do.

If all matter in the universe where at absolute zero, could time then exists?

vvv

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 05:53 AM
link   

So therefore i call it symmetry (the thing before the big bang). Perfectly balanced at 0 (zero). Then the asymmetry happened and the clocks started ticking

Saying the asymmetry "happened" is a bit misleading and implies cause and effect. The big bang singularity is simply the boundary of space/time in the dimension of time and therefore has always existed which means the asymmetry must have always existed.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join