It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Art Exhibit Depicting Jesus in a Sex Act Sparks Outrage in Colorado

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I just think its sad that everything in the art world has boiled down to "being provocative" or "creating controversy." Yawn....conceptual "Shock art" started in the 1970s and it seems since then that fine art has become a vehicle for lazy trustfunders who like to play with their body fluids. Whatever happened to BEAUTY in art? Guess if it doesn't rile people up its not art...how boring.

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jovi1
Guess what the artist got exactly what he wanted, you angry and himself in the headlines. The only thing you have done by getting angry has ensured is that the next time is the picture in question will be more racy and vile than this one was.

Bingo!

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solasis
Sorry, I misspoke; I meant I don't see a reason to do that.

No worries. Glad you unserstood I couldn't let that one go unchallenged.
Peace

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by adifferentbreed

Seems people forget about things that have happend maybe 10 years, 20 years or 30 years ago.

They only rember when it comes back to kick them hard in the backside. And when it does they do not take the blame for it what so ever. They blame others. And do not feel guilty about blaming other either.

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder
I just think its sad that everything in the art world has boiled down to "being provocative" or "creating controversy."

Have a hundred stars on me!

And actual talent isn't even considered.

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

How true.....and as I've said many times...the hypocrasy in our media and administration when it truely comes to equality and decency is shocking. as I stated earleir, if the roles were reversed with muhammed as the subject, it'd be in the news until the end of the year....the artist would have lost his job, and he'd be in hiding....this truely is a travesty.

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   

At the end of the day, want to know something. I am not a Christian, I am not Jewish, I am not Muslim, nor am I invovled in other religion.

I have my own faith in Christ and God and them in me.

But when I see artists whom have a grudge against a certain religon, who target that religon, who do no care about, the retaliation after it.

Then they should be the ones whoshoud be made to stand infront off the angry mobs of people whom are offended by this not innocent. By standers.

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

I'm not a Christian either, I'm a Pagan....as my signature kind of eludes to. However, I've had it with the inequality of "religions" in todays world..................anymore, it seems the more extreme something is, the more it is focused on and the rest are cast aside, ignored, or ridiculed without repercussion. The agenda put forth in the media and our adminstration today are sickening, as are the apologists/enablers on here.....hence I posted this....thanks again for your kind words.

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   

What really annoys me with the article. Would the same Artist, depict Mohammed in the same way?

Or would he depict him in another way, well knowing the backlash, that certain artist would recieve.

Answer not he would not. Why would he not. If the OP, can answer that or any other member. Then I would be justified in saying that the aritist is demonising a holy figure, which is christ himself, and is being offensive to Chritians around the world.
edit on 5-10-2010 by Laurauk because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Is it wrong? Yes, or let me state that I believe it is wrong. I also believe it is wrong to demean another faith.

Having said that take a look at the second line in my signature. Actually here let me post it in this post.

You might not believe you might even belittle and mock but one day every knee will bow before the true God.

I will not stop you from making fun, criticizing, demeaning, belittling, mocking, or even damning The Father, The Son, or The Holy Spirit. You have that right to freedom of speech. I have the right to worship and believe as I choose. Life is about learning as much as it is living. We can choose to live for instant gratification or we can live a life of trying to be a better person and love even those who hate us. Love is more powerful than hate, love can overcome hate, living in hate will destroy a person.

People can say Christians are bigots for not agreeing with different things we see as sins but that is not the case. I can hate the actions of a person yet love them. Love is only true when it is unconditional. The love most talk about today is not the true love just a sad attempt at the real thing.

Regardless, have your differing versions of what you want to call a Christ that is of the corrupt world. I will keep my faith in Christ. Mockery will not take away my faith it will only make it stronger.

You can reply if you wish, I refuse to argue about the is there or is there not because neither side can prove the presence or lack thereof to another. When God is ready to be known to an individual He will speak to them if they listen or not is up to them. For the most part though all that I can say has been said in this post.

Raist

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
I'm sorry guys...but this thread is so freakin hilarious...keep up the good work!

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
I am Christian. I couldn't see the art exhibit so I can't draw any conclusions (the link was dead). Art is art. It is my choice not to view or to view it, so whats the big deal.

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by The Endtime Warrior

I am Christian.
Wow, wouldn't have picked it. But I believe you are correct, art is art, if it offends you, do not look at it. Simple.

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

The artist would face a tremendous backlash..............as has been proven before, just for a cartoon. If this supposedly educated man had painted muhhamed getting blown by one of his dancing boys with Alle ak bar above his head...........I don't think he could be hidden well enough by the FBI. Not only that, he be unemployed tommorow, the subject of ridicule in the news the world over, and he'd have a few fatwas issued on him. However, when this "artist" displays this, he seems somehow to be untouchable....he's created art, and made a political message. What a joke.........this just furthers the agenda our administration has in place. Not only that, if he was denied his chance at displaying it, you can be sure some profesional extortion group like the ACLU would be right there supporting him. He should lose his job, the picture should be removed and he should be forced to take sensativity classes......you know, like everyone else who does something bigoted in the professional field. I have to wonder what exactly this idiot teaches in his classes...........makes ya wonder, doesnt it.

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by CHA0S

If I was to be offended and outraged at every single thing in the history of mankind I would lose sleep.....I bet you right now in my house there are equally offensive things around me, whether it be in the music I listen to , the clothes I wear, or even what I watch on TV. And this isn't even without setting foot out in the "real world". I can only demonstrate a true christian nature of lovingness and acceptance without hating and judging. This is how I view chrisitianity to be. If God has a problem with it, He'll make it known.
edit on 10/5/2010 by The Endtime Warrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Several citizens even called the police regarding the exhibit, asking for an investigation into whether it violates a Colorado law that protects children from obscenity

Seriously ?

I think it is funny how many Americans throw freedom of expression right out the window when they disagree with something. In particular there religious views.

Rational people let you express beliefs like..

"It disgraces the God of all creation."

But as soon as some artist has the belief Jesus liked penis they run and cry to the police .. and Fox News.

edit on 5-10-2010 by nophun because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
well what to say to this thread..............

yeah if that "art" was mohammad you already been beheaded and your body strung up and burnt...........

disrespectful absolutely
infuriating that noone wants to show christianity any respect absolutely
infuriating that noone has the cajones to do this to mohammad

simple truth of this entire thread the reason that dude made the "art" is because he could....

any other religion well hate to think what would have happened oh if it was mohammd the dude would have been clearly racist....................

but wait jesus? and this isnt racist?

edit on 5-10-2010 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by The Endtime Warrior

I can only demonstrate a true christian nature of lovingness and acceptance without hating and judging.
STAR! I'm certainly not any sort of "God-fearing" man, but I respect that core value which Christianity teaches, to love even your enemies and not judge them. I think you've just shown who the real Christians here are. All I hear is people winging that if the "muzzies" get to bitch about things like this, then we should too, it's obvious people here are giving a "reactionary" response to hearing of such a depiction of Jesus...

edit on 5/10/10 by CHA0S because: spelling

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   

In order for his sacrifice to be truly meaningful doesn't he have to be FULLY human... and doesn't being fully human also include sexual urges? Now I am aware that some Christians think of homosexuality as a sin, despite the fact that those verses are primarily in the Old Testament and are addressing the Israelites only, but honestly I don't see what the problem is. Especially when this sort of artwork is created primarily to provoke just this kind of response in order to gain the artist attention. This artist can get away with having Jesus do this because unlike certain other famous religious figures no one is going to be beheaded or blown up over a picture of Jesus being, well, blown.

I can see how this would offend and be intended to do so... but really the best thing a Christian could do when they find out about things like this is to ignore it... now the story is on the internet and the art exhibit has tons of attention even if some of it is negative.

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by nophun

Several citizens even called the police regarding the exhibit, asking for an investigation into whether it violates a Colorado law that protects children from obscenity

Seriously ?

I think it is funny how many Americans throw freedom of expression right out the window when they disagree with something. In particular there religious views.

You mean kind of like preventing someone from burning the koran or having a national draw muhammed day..............yup......sure, go with that. Again with the hypocrasy........

But as soon as some artist has the belief Jesus liked penis they run and cry to the police .. and Fox News.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join