It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most Tea Partiers call America a Christian nation, study finds

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir[

A Select Group of People nowadays somehow feel uneasy about that part of our American History . My question is WHY ? When has Christianity Ever been a Threat to our Personal Freedoms in America ? Liberalism on the other hand Threatens our Liberities EVEY DAY .........
edit on 6-10-2010 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zanti Misfit
reply to post by Misoir[

A Select Group of People nowadays somehow feel uneasy about that part of our American History . My question is WHY ? When has Christianity Ever been a Threat to our Personal Freedoms in America ? Liberalism on the other hand Threatens our Liberities EVEY DAY .........

Just out of curiosity....what is "liberalism".

And can you find any in America?

I can swear to you this: in politics there is no such thing as a "conservative".
edit on 6-10-2010 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Have a Dictionary ? Look it up ...............Geez......

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Zanti Misfit

Buddy! You wouldn't know Liberalism if it should it's self in front of you.
I am what you call a Liberal and yes I believe in Liberty.
History of Liberalism
Liberalism
Liberalism history and future
Intellectual history of Liberalism
Liberalism Philosophy

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Have a Dictionary ? Look it up ...............Geez......

Did you happen to author that dictionary? If you didn't, then I do not think i will find my answer in there. I am asking YOU to define it. Based on your understanding.

I am not challenging you or your assertions....yet. But terms like "liberalism" tend to take on ad hoc definitions in the minds of the individual.
edit on 6-10-2010 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Most Tea Partiers are uninformed about the Constitution and history of this nation, so I'm obviously not going to be surprised.

Of course, a good majority of the American public are uninformed about both, so it makes sense that any random sampling of them would be ignorant to these issues.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

You more than likely are a Faction of Liberalism . A Idealist maybe , or a Radical ? Wich is it ?

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   

I'm a Classical Liberal and a Modern day Capitalist.
Modern Liberalism is cool though.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   

I will not get into a Debate here with you arguing Semantics . Take my comments anyway you wish , but I KNOW what I mean , and thats All that Matters to ME .....

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

OK , I am Cool with that . Maybe I was Generalizing a bit Much there ? ..........Hmm........Yes , Maybe....

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir
religion.blogs.cnn.com...

[qoute]Oh and sorry people we are not a Christian nation, only about 75% are actually Christian. Western culture is formed from Christianity so we are relatively a Culturally Christian nation, but that just means that we have a culture.

So 75% of Americans say they are Christians, and you say this is not a Christian nation. I suppose the 2% of the population being native Americans make them the majority.

And by the way religion is part of what makes up a culture, not the other way around. The American culture is made up of many religions.

Would America be a Christian nation if only 95% of its people said they were Christian?

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   

I don't trust Christians. They use a guide book that is suspect and twist and form their interpretation of it to fit their particular ideology. Even among Christians they can't agree on what the Good Book actually says; to many contradictions.

If we are a Christian nation; why are we controlled by the Jews?

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

I don't trust Christians. They use a guide book that is suspect and twist and form their interpretation of it to fit their particular ideology. Even among Christians they can't agree on what the Good Book actually says; to many contradictions.

hmm sounds strangely like the political ideology and politicians you follow..........lol yet one is acceptable and one is not?

Hypocrisy much?

Its been said over and over again what the percentages of christians are in this nation, that should be enough to close the case on this one.....

except for the fact that there is this war against christianity and anything that isnt atheist.........which to me seems like just the other side of the coin, I have the right for you not to oppress MY beliefs whether it christainity or spiritualism, with YOUR beliefs of atheism........

Is it me or has Atheism become almost a religion in itself? hmmm.........odd that

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

We are controlled by Jews, because good Christians believe Jews are God's chosen people, and as a nation we have been protecting them since our foundation.

I agree with you though, I don't trust Christians either. For one thing, most of them are not Christians, they are Deists like our founding fathers. Very few Christians actually believe the word of Christ. Christ says I am the way, and the truth and the light, and no one gets to the father, but through me. Therefore all "moderate" Christians that think Muslims and Hindus and Buddhists are ok, and they are tolerant of them, and they think their good works and actions will still get them into Heaven, all of them are calling Christ a liar.

For the record, I don't trust anybody that calls themself a Christian or a Muslim unless they are radical in their belief. There is no such thing as a moderate in those religions. I trust people like me that admit we are not Christians, I trust a lot of Wiccans, and hippies, and even some atheists, but I don't trust the run of the mill popular religion junkie.

Still, I don't see how anybody can dispute that the US is a Christian nation? It was settled by Christians, built up by Christians, Christians fought for independence, and then Deist/Christians wrote the laws that still guide us today. 75% of the country identify themselves as Christians. "In God We Trust" is on our money. "One Nation Under God" is in our Pledge of Allegiance. Every president had identified themselves as Christian, including our current president. The fact is, we are a "Christian" nation, that is tolerant of religious freedom. We are not a religiously free nation, and we are not a religiousless nation.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   

reply to post by Misoir[

If that is true then why is it when conservatives are in office we have things like the patriot act passed that limits our rights and freedoms?

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   

I will not get into a Debate here with you arguing Semantics . Take my comments anyway you wish , but I KNOW what I mean , and thats All that Matters to ME .....

Well, if you wish to talk to yourself, then making sure that you are the only one who understands you is a good way to ensure that.

Good luck with that.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010
If that is true then why is it when conservatives are in office we have things like the patriot act passed that limits our rights and freedoms?

I'll bite. Why?
But, before you answer that, ask yourself why the liberals (who have controlled Congress for 4 years now and the White House for 2) have not repealed the Patriot Act?

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by WTFover

Originally posted by buster2010

I'll bite. Why?
But, before you answer that, ask yourself why the liberals (who have controlled Congress for 4 years now and the White House for 2) have not repealed the Patriot Act?

Not only has it not been repealed/let to expire, but the overall scope has been widened in regards to the attacks on our liberties.

To make matters worse, the travesty imposed by Bush has left a Supreme Court who seems to be advancing the ball for the team of tyranny in an almost prodigious fashion.

The checks and balances are bouncing and have already collapsed, respectively.

If Thoreau was unable to recognize America as the home of liberty in his day, what would he say about the state of the union today?

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally started by the followers of presidential hopeful and Libertarian Republican Ron Paul it has now turned into a corporate backed, Christian Conservative wing of the Republican Party.

Firstly just as an FYI

I was happy to find out that Ron Paul, just like me, is an agnostic

I'm glad to see this man and me think alike on so many issues

Agnostism is the most scientific path one can take
being pro-evolution is very unscientific

Oh and sorry people we are not a Christian nation, only about 75% are actually Christian. Western culture is formed from Christianity so we are relatively a Culturally Christian nation, but that just means that we have a culture.

Just because so many tea partiers say this doesn't mean they represent a majority

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I was doing some research on founding fathers quotes, today as well as a few months back, you have to be careful with quotes attributed to them that come without references,

There is a lot of false information on the net, and history gets rewritten everyday.

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join