It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Someone please tell me this one is a HOAX.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
This just can't be real, it must be satire. The Brits can't really be THAT crazy can they?

Death of the office joke: Britain enacts PC equality law which means ANYONE can sue for ANYTHING that offends them

New equality laws could spell the end of the office joke in Britain.

Ministers yesterday announced that the vast bulk of Labour’s controversial Equality Act would be implemented immediately, despite concerns about its impact on business and office life.

The legislation, championed by Labour’s deputy leader Harriet Harman, introduces a bewildering range of rights which allow staff to sue for almost any perceived offence they receive in the workplace.

It creates the controversial legal concept of ‘third party harassment’, under which workers will be able to sue over jokes and banter they find offensive – even if the comments are aimed at someone else and they weren’t there at the time the comments were made.

They can sue if they feel the comments ‘violate their dignity’ or create an ‘intimidating, hostile, degrading, humiliating or offensive environment’.

A one-off incident is enough to sue – there is no need for the ‘victim’ to have warned the perpetrator that their comments are unwelcome.

They could even have a case against their employer if a customer or contractor says something they find offensive.

Dail y Mail

If this is for real, I'm glad as all hell that I wasn't born in Britan. If you are living there now, you have all of my sympathy. Maybe you can try to swim across the pond and sneak in over here before we all go as bonkers as the rest of the world seems to be going.

Mods; Please move this thread to the HOAX forum.

Pretty please....

edit on 10/1/10 by FortAnthem because:

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Well, this is how they will create social divisions, and get one person to whistleblow on another. It fits the plan.
Second line.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem

If this is for real, I'm glad as all hell that I wasn't born in Britan. If you are living there now, you have all of my sympathy. Maybe you can try to swim across the pond and sneak in over here before we all go as bonkers as the rest of the world seems to be going.

Mods; Please move this thread to the HOAX forum.

Pretty please....

Ahem, you mean where the President has a secret hit list of targets whose due process is a bullet in the head?

Not sure which is worse.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Some of the Equality act Provisions * Vegans, teetotallers and atheists given the same protection against discrimination as religious groups * Churches forced to hire homosexuals and transsexuals against the tenets of their faith when employing staff under planned Labour equality laws * Gipsies and travellers to get special favours because of the 'many socio-economic disadvantages' they face * Fire chiefs forced to prioritise the poor when drawing up fire fighting plans as poorer areas need better cover because they tend to suffer from a greater number of fires owing to the worse state of their homes and a lack of smoke alarms * Fears that bosses could be sued for jokes or comments that staff overhear and find offensive under 'third party harassment' provisions What's still being discussed.... * Plans to force local authorities to discriminate in favour of the poor in order to narrow income inequalities * ‘Affirmative action’ plan to allow firms to explicitly discriminate in favour of women and ethnic minority candidates Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... 1g00

WOW. I am hoping this will end up in the Hoax forum as well.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Last updated at 10:26 PM on 1st October 2010

Ah, I get it, sombody saw it was the 1st and for some reason thought this was April 1st.

This was a badly mistimed April fools joke right?

One can always hope.

The worst thing about this if it IS real, it might give Pelosi and her loonie cronies ideas. I sure hope they don't start a cycle of one-upmanship over this.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   
it HAS to be the Rothschilds involved somewhere! ...

they control England and most of the central banks worldwide,

they make BIG DEALS with their "mergers and acquisitions" wing,
(they helped reorganize Europe into the European Union!)
(the politicians ain't smart enough for complicated matters)

they are "advising" Nations on how to implement "austerity",

they are a HUGE investment bank,

they been here for a long long time!

www.rothschild.com...

they ARE for real, not a fairy tale ...

this law is probably the whim of a few bored secretaries at the main office in London!

the mere "thought" gives me the heebie-jeebies.

p.s. don't let the "plain looking" website fool you ...
they own thousands of "satellite" companies all over the world.
all financial and legal related.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

You can already see this type of PC in areas such as the military and federal offices.

We were constantly told, while I was serving that anyone can make a harrassment claim, even if they heard about your joke through a different third-party. It was quite ridiculous. So I am going to say this isn't a joke and most likely will just be another nanny-state implementation into the lives of our breathren across the pond.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

If anything I would think that a wealthy business family would oppose this legislation, fight it tooth and nail. Being forced to hire people, being sued over office banter and etc. does not sound like something anyone involved with big business would be supportive of.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I've finally got it! Law makers in America and the UK have a bet going. They both want to see who can pass the most ludicrous, freedom robbing bills without the people getting off their a$$es to do a thing. That has to be it. Of course I'm beginning to wonder if either group of citizens would get up even if they started grabbing people off the street and executed them on TV!

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   

I support this law, if you are gonna make a joke, make it about a person you know well enough to not get offended.

It is about understanding, if you don't understand someone, don't make fun of him/her..

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by abrowning

If anything I would think that a wealthy business family would oppose this legislation, fight it tooth and nail. Being forced to hire people, being sued over office banter and etc. does not sound like something anyone involved with big business would be supportive of.

THEY don't care about lawsuits ... they have legal departments to pay it off.

besides, the real big companies use the whole thing to keep employees "sidetracked"...

it's the basic "Theory - anti-Theory" business plan that is actually taught to high managers in big companies.....they make enough money to play this game and keep wages low!

Rothschilds has such a plan .. I know somebody who attended the lectures.

they make big fees to "train" managers for their "customers" AND GOVERNMENTS!.

just read the "mission statement" on their website again:

www.rothschild.com...

it's all there .. read between the lines.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   
just read some of the comments here above...

some people are already falling into the PIT!

THAT's EXACTLY what the controllers WANT.

I'm surprised its working this soon .. the law isn't even in effect yet, is it?

in the meantime, YOUR wages continue to plummet, and prices continue to skyrocket!

all while WE are busy with off-tangent "concerns".

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

workers will be able to sue over jokes and banter they find offensive – even if the comments are aimed at someone else and they weren’t there at the time the comments were made.

Heck, under this law, I can joke around with a friend who could be laughing along with me. Somebody who hears about the joke from a 3rd party a few days later could sue me for being insensitive.

How about instead of me learning a little sensitivity, people learn to grow a thick skin and get a sense of humor. laughing at our differences is just part of the human condition. It is not grounds for a lawsuit.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   

That is just you being paranoid, someone else hearing your joke which was not directed at him.. Naa, that isn't true, because your friend was there to tell prove you were talking to him, not someone else.

Such laws usually have counter laws, which states that if someone falsely, and intentionally sue someone, there would be a punishment for that person also. In that sense, people would be very careful when trying to sue someone.

This will also force you to find a friend you can trust, instead of a friend that will come in your life, use and abuse you then, bye, bye.

Very intelligent law indeed, which forces people to take responsibility for their own actions.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by oozyism

That is just you being paranoid, someone else hearing your joke which was not directed at him.. Naa, that isn't true, because your friend was there to tell prove you were talking to him, not someone else.

Such laws usually have counter laws, which states that if someone falsely, and intentionally sue someone, there would be a punishment for that person also. In that sense, people would be very careful when trying to sue someone.

This will also force you to find a friend you can trust, instead of a friend that will come in your life, use and abuse you then, bye, bye.

Very intelligent law indeed, which forces people to take responsibility for their own actions.

"""Very intelligent law indeed, which forces people to take responsibility for their own actions."""

BUT what happens when YOU make a mistake??? hmmmmm?

OR what happens when YOU are "set-up" by a "good friend" ?? hmmmmm?

OR what happens when YOU are victimized by a mental case who THEY won't fire?

keep 'em coming boys.... the "BIG SHOTS" ARE watching this unfold!!!

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

I'm all for people taking responsibilty for their ACTIONS but, words are not actions, they're just words. They can't hurt anybody. Like the old saying goes; "sticks and stones..."

Since when is the freedom of speech trumped by somebodies supposed freedom to not be offended? Let people say what they want, if you disagree with them, say so to their face and explain why. They may not have known how hurtful their words were and just might apologise without all of the expense of a big court case.

Don't go running to some court to enforce your standards upon them. Be a man and fight your own battles and learn to get along with other people in this imperfect world. Silencing their words cannot silence their thoughts and putting a muzzle on people will only fuel resentment which could end in violence. It is better to let them speek their minds so you can know who are the bigots in your midst. That way, you can avoid them if you so choose.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   

You have to ask them those questions, not me

Take responsibility for your own actions, if you don't trust your friend, you shouldn't be friends with him/her

The rest I can't answer, I must look at the law, what it says specifically, what are the conditions, etc.

I'm sure there are conditions set, I don't think the law makers are that stupid to create a law with one sentence as you make it sound like, and ask all these questions.

Those questions will all be answered by them, not by me, once you hear your answers, then decide whether the details of the law is acceptable or not.

The over all is good

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   

I'm all for people taking responsibilty for their ACTIONS but, words are not actions, they're just words. They can't hurt anybody. Like the old saying goes; "sticks and stones..."

If words can't hurt anyone then why are people being arrested for hate speech>? Infact an American citizen is being tracked down right now, because of his words, the American government wants him dead, because of his words.

Words does hurt, just because you are not hurt by it doesn't mean someone else is not.

There is a reason why I don't see people go around disrespecting and mocking people in the streets, because they are responsible people. The ones who think words don't hurt, and go around screaming F you, F your mom etc they usually get punched in the face.. Even the police would do the same, I have seen it

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   
So can I sue George Carlin or his estate? I found some of his jokes to be offensive...

Now when people enter a comedy club they will have to sign a legal waiver to agree not to sue the talent!

This is ludicrous and will only serve to create distrust between people and line the pockets of lawyers with of all the frivolous lawsuits which will ensue.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

I found your post offensive, I'm going to have to take you to court now. You have to be responsible for your actions you know.

Erm, I hope that wasn't too offensive.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join