It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ADHD 'Is Passed On Through The Genes'

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
"ADHD is passed on through the genes"

"Obesity is passed on through the genes"

"Smokers smoke because of their genes"

"Cancer is passed on through the genes"

In other words: "You are not responsible for your life. Even if you quit overeating, start exercising, tend to your spiritual needs and turn off rapid-fire-images from the mass-media it wont change a thing".

ADHD doesnt exist

edit on 30-9-2010 by Skyfloating because: typo

Agree with this thoroughly.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
OMFG, how is this so hard for people to grasp?

1. ADHD is a disease that is classified by a wide range of general dysfunctions.
2. Like any other diseases, there are multiple genetic propensities AND environmental triggers involved.
3. Genetics don't work in a vacuum. They are continuously interacting with our environmental terrain to be expressed or not. This is what the study of epigenetics is about.
4. Just because you have ADHD, doesn't mean you should or should not take pharmaceuticals. It doesn't mean that this is or isn't your natural, permanent state of being. It doesn't mean much, other than you have been generalized to fit within this box of abnormal behavior, and further investigation is needed.

Stop being ignorant, people. To say that ADHD doesn't exist, is to say that science is unfounded, and has no basis in reality. It's incredibly stupid. We have devised a means to assess peoples behavior in general, which enables us to further evaluate the human mind and come up with solutions for detrimental behaviors to all: the individual, the family, and society as a whole.

Grow up, people.

A social construct can never be considered a 'disease'

You say ADHD I say Drapetomania... (The 'disease or mental illness' that caused black slaves to try and escape from their masters).

Another offensive 'disorder' is 'oppositional defiant disorder' which is another political diagnosis.
Hopefully the new DSM will improve on all this.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Loopdaloop

I just posted in that thread, I can't believe a moderator started a thread that was filled with such ignorance!

Seriously! I mean look at this OP how well researched it is:

Everybodys talking about the big "Attention-Deficit-Hyperactivity-Disorder" that has now become a "worldwide Epidemic". If a child cant sit still all day, if it cant suppress its natural urge to play and move, the child is labelled "mentally ill". If a child is unwilling to be indocrinated by boring and useless information all day it is labeled "mentally ill". And then medicine is prescribed, parents asked to accompany their child to a therapist, weird treatments developed and Billions of Dollars wasted because the child wont CONFORM to the collectivist indoctrination-centers we call "school".

How ridiculous is that? If you show a kid "suffering" ADHD something interesting and relevant, he/she will get interested. If you let the kid move a little more, play a little more, enjoy a little more, it will get relaxed. Maybe a bit less ultra-violent-video-games and rapid-movement movies for the six year old. Maybe a bit less sugar for the youngster. And get some Humor into the classroom for goodness sake. As a teacher you need to look at the kid before you look at the Schoolbook. Too many teachers are underpaid and undereducated, staring at books and curricula instead of making a heart-to-heart connection with the kids.

Its not active, energetic and playful kids that need curing, its the deadbeats who think it is an illness to be alive.

I call BS and OPINION (small opinion). That is all it is, unless the "mod" has some sources to back up their unfounded claims. Not that I want to read them, this type of "angry ignorance" is almost impossible to mend.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Arguing semantics now?

Whatever. Give me sources, or give me silence.

I love it how people are just spouting their arm chair opinions as fact. Is it that hard to do just a little research? I mean I had to, being ADD/HD and all.

"Disorder" "Disease" "Whatever"

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by wcitizen

I have lived my entire life with ADHD, and the medications for it have allowed my mind to focus on a level I never dreamed of. The medications may be harmful but I'd rather shorten my life by a few years and make something of myself and maybe even do something to help the world when the alternative is to lay in bed with no purpose of drive or desire to change my circumstances even though I know I need to and I could very well die if I don't.

The medicines aren't very safe but neither are the others you take every day. Adderall (the one I take) is a Dextroamphetamine. Most people see amphetamine and go ape $4!1, but even though it causes heart damage over time and by proxy shortens my life in the long run, it is many times safer then Ritalin, Concerta, and even Straterra. Ritalin and Concerta both cause Arrhythmia, which can kill someone on the spot, as their main side effect and Straterra isn't even meant as an ADHD med, it was designed to be marketed as a depression medication but since it didn't make the cut they decided to market it for ADHD, which didn't have as high of a fence to cross. It shows no significant effect in many patients ADHD and Lily, the manufacturer is currently involved in a class action lawsuit against patients for liver damage incurred by the taking of Straterra.

If ADHD really is genetic and can be taken away before birth, I wouldn't have wanted my family to. I may have lived in pain, depression and alienation but I was forged by those experiences and granted with a startling intellect. Sometimes I wish I could change but I know for a fact I would regret it every day of my life.I may be cursed with a shortened life and a medicine that I must take for the rest of my life, but the benefits of intellect and the desire to channel it far out weigh the costs both monetary and physical

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by adigregorio

I can't believe that you went there...

Research is your friend!

Is it now?

Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD or AD/HD or ADD) is a neurobehavioral developmental disorder. *It is primarily characterized by "the co-existence of attentional problems and hyperactivity, with each behavior occurring infrequently alone" and symptoms starting before seven years of age.*

It is primarily characterized by "the co-existence of attentional problems and hyperactivity

It is primarily characterized by "the co-existence of attentional problems and hyperactivity

Ok, let's do this anouther way.... shall we?

Attention: the process whereby a person concentrates on some features of the environment to the (relative) exclusion of others.

Deficit: the property of being an amount by which something is less than expected or required

Hyperactivity: a condition characterized by excessive restlessness and movement

Disorder: a physical condition in which there is a disturbance of normal functioning

So.... Attention Deficit Disorder.... *MEANS* ... *LITERALLY MEANS*

"He won't pay attention, and he want's to play."

I mean, seriously, do you want to point out what parts of my life are "not real"?

I was making a broad comment about the topic at hand...

I do not remember addressing YOU specifically.

Would you mind explaining WHY you felt that I was personally attacking You?

Such strong OPINIONS, does no one research anymore?

I am quite Well Researched, actually.

I do not believe that Processed Methyl Esters are the correct treatment for "He won't pay attention and wants to play"

THIS, is methyl phenyl acetate (A.K.A. Methylphenidate, A.K.A. Ritalin.)
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/72a65addd256.png[/atsimg]

and THIS, is Benzene:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a7f5383f3c85.png[/atsimg]

A specific cause of ADHD is not known.
-Wiki

I was not Aware that we started handing out Psycho-stimulants to Children based upon a "Disorder" that we don't even know *IF* it is a real thing.

Hint: It Isn't.

Let me spell this out for you.

You have a Rare Condition known as "Periodic Epidermal Exposure Disorder"

We can Classify this disorder Particularly Well, and Trained Scientists agree that you *HAVE* this disorder.

Have some Steam Cracked Petroleum Esters in Pill form.... It will "Treat" your condition.

MPH possesses structural similarities to amphetamine, and, though it is less potent, its pharmacological effects are even more closely related to those of coc aine yet without those addictive effects.
-Wiki

According to research of U.S. Department of Energy's Brookhaven National Laboratory methylphenidate works in the treatment of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder by increasing levels of dopamine in children's brains.

You are Doping your Children to keep them Quiet for your Convenience.

-Edrick

edit on 3-10-2010 by Edrick because: Coding Error

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by christine76

Once again a brilliant post from someone who obviously has absolutely NO experience with this disorder. Maybe you should get married, have a kid, find out they have ADHD, try to deal with it without any drugs, and then come back and give us your opinion. Until then - your opinion is nothing of value to this topic.

They are called FACTS.

Do you know what a Fact Is?

IT is a statement that is Demonstrably True.

IT is Evident.

"TREATMENT" for the "Disease" of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder is Low Grade Meth.

The DISEASE, is that the Child is not Paying Attention, and is Fidgety or moves about....

The DISEASE, is Rambunctiousness.

The *Cure* is Waste from Petroleum Cracking.

Nice.

-Edrick

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

Methamphetamine is different from Methylphenidate.

Yes... they Are Different.

Ritalin:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7671017da1df.png[/atsimg]

Crystal Meth:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c04a2f0fbbad.png[/atsimg]

The prefix "Meth-" refers to the shape of the molecule.

Benzene.

To think that these two chemicals are the same either indicates an ignorance of chemistry or an intentional effort to create propaganda.

Or, an ability to SEE pictures with my EYES.

-Edrick (Benzene+)

edit on 3-10-2010 by Edrick because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Edrick

I remember you from that other thread, I will not be dragged into another one of your "debates".

One thing I love, like I have said I have never taken a drug for the disorder.

So, "fight" until you are blue in the face. I know what my life is like, and what living with ADD/HD is like because I have ADHD.

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 03:51 AM
link   
reply to post by adigregorio

Are you... like...

Actually a Pirate?

-Edrick

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Edrick

So.... Attention Deficit Disorder.... *MEANS* ... *LITERALLY MEANS* "He won't pay attention, and he want's to play."

no, it literally means he can't pay attention - or rather, the word deficit suggests that the ability to focus and pay attention is lacking

won't is part of your interpretation

and playing isn't part of the definition - it's just something you wanted to say

hello Edrick

are you like - really a rabbit?

:-)

Spira

edit on 10/3/2010 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I don't understand why people with NO experience with this disorder poo poo it and say it doesn't exist. Why? There has been MANY here that have related their experience with this and still some are saying it doesn't exist. Is ADHD misdiagnosed? Often. Is medication over prescribed? Certainly but those facts do not negate the fact that ADHD is real.

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

I don't understand why people with NO experience with this disorder poo poo it and say it doesn't exist.

because they can

because poo pooing is fun - and most of all - easy

:-)

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Are you arguing AGAINST "ADD and ADHD" being "Not Real"...

Or are you claiming that Benzene Derivatives are a good thing to feed to children?

ADD and ADHD "Symptoms"

Those with the predominantly inattentive type often:
* fail to pay close attention to details or make careless mistakes in schoolwork, work, or other activities
* have difficulty sustaining attention to tasks or leisure activities
* do not seem to listen when spoken to directly
* do not follow through on instructions and fail to finish schoolwork, chores, or duties in the workplace
* have difficulty organizing tasks and activities
* avoid, dislike, or are reluctant to engage in tasks that require sustained mental effort
* lose things necessary for tasks or activities
* are easily distracted by extraneous stimuli
* are forgetful in daily activities

Normal Children are not supposed to do ANYTHING on this list, are they?

OR This List?

ADHD "Symptoms"

Those with the predominantly hyperactive/impulsive type often:

* fidget with their hands or feet or squirm in their seat
* leave their seat in situations in which remaining seated is expected
* move excessively or feel restless during situations in which such behavior is inappropriate
* have difficulty engaging in leisure activities quietly
* are "on the go" or act as if "driven by a motor"
* talk excessively
* blurt out answers before questions have been completed
* have difficulty awaiting their turn
* interrupt or intrude on others

FAILURE TO OBEY THE TEACHERS AUTHORITY.

Ritalin....

-Edrick

edit on 3-10-2010 by Edrick because: #2 vid is Relevant

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Edrick

So, you know what every child feels eh? I have ADD, do you know how i feel. I bet if i say "i can't concentrate" you will say "everyone has problems concentrating sometimes" If i say my life is 100 times better since taking ritalin" you will say "placebo effect" right?

The sad thing is, people like you would disapear from this thread if evidence came about that you would not be able to disbute. You would never amit it, but you know it's true.

Oh look! i know how your mind works! I am so great!

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Jay-morris

So, you know what every child feels eh?

I don't remember saying that I know what every child feels like.... would you mind quoting me?

I have ADD, do you know how i feel.

Well, I guess it's a good thing that Ritalin basically just releases Dopamine through blocking re-uptake of monoamine transporters...

MAKES you feel happy.

I bet if i say "i can't concentrate" you will say "everyone has problems concentrating sometimes"

So, you Can't Concentrate... and instead of Training yourself to Concentrate... you chemically force yourself into a Dopamine High... So that EVERYTHING seems Interesting.

If i say my life is 100 times better since taking ritalin" you will say "placebo effect" right?

Oh... I'm sure it seems that way... with all the Dopamine flooding through your brain...

The sad thing is, people like you would disapear from this thread if evidence came about that you would not be able to disbute.

Good Luck with that.

-Edrick

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Edrick
reply to post by Jay-morris

I don't remember saying that I know what every child feels like.... would you mind quoting me?

I said "i" have ADD. And you seem to know what i feel like :/

.Well, I guess it's a good thing that Ritalin basically just releases Dopamine through blocking re-uptake of monoamine transporters... MAKES you feel happy.

Lol so why was i told that taking ritalin will help my condition, and why has it help my condition. You think its because it makes me happy lol lol so alot of the things that effected me will not effect me anymore, because i would be happy.

So, you Can't Concentrate... and instead of Training yourself to Concentrate... you chemically force yourself into a Dopamine High... So that EVERYTHING seems Interesting.

Same old same old. You know nothing about me, and what i done before i was diagnosed with ADD, But you instantly think i have not tried many things before i was diagnosed, because you know me, right?

Oh... I'm sure it seems that way... with all the Dopamine flooding through your brain...

No, it is that way.

Good Luck with that..

lol

-Edrick

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by adigregorio

Arguing semantics now?

Whatever. Give me sources, or give me silence.

I love it how people are just spouting their arm chair opinions as fact. Is it that hard to do just a little research? I mean I had to, being ADD/HD and all.

"Disorder" "Disease" "Whatever"

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I had a horrible childhood due to ADHD. Most of my problems stemed from my parents/teachers not understanding how to deal with it. A few generations later and we know how better to handel it. I see it in my son now. I look in his face and tell him to focus and his eyes just roll looking around the room. I can tell there is allot going on in his mind. I understand what he is going through. I refuse to give my child medication so he can fit into society's definition of normal. I keep him busy and constantly introduce new hobby's to him when he gets bored. My strategy is pretty much to wear him out and let him get it all out rather that contain it. Helping him get rid of that bottled up energy so he can sleep well is the key.

He is very smart and this has worked with great success. Id say my son is more advanced and much smarter than someone of his age. He may not be able to articulate as well as others but he is like a sponge when I tap into something that interests him. I did the same when I was younger. Its all in how you direct all of the raw energy. Ill admit its exhausting trying to keep up with him sometimes but seeing him learn something and the big smile on his face when he gets it is so awesome.
With age he will mellow and all of what he has learned as a child/young adult will hopefully aid him in dealing with the rest. Thats why its important to supply your ADHD child with the proper tools to deal with his/her condition in a posative way while they are young. Doping them up and treating them "special" all through childhood is not the answer. All that does is make it easer for the parents and teachers and harder for the child. Then they mature into adulthood and still dont know how to deal with themselves except to take a pill.

I see ADHD in a more positive light. There are good aspects to it. He is a genus with a mind going 100 miles an hour. Of course if you don't know how to deal with excess energy and try to contain it the result is bad behavior. It can be a gift when you learn how to deal with it. ALL of this depends on severity,enviroment, parents attitude and teachers attitude.

So they finaly figured out its genetic, lol.
Tell me something we dont already know.

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Digital_Reality
I see ADHD in a more positive light. There are good aspects to it. He is a genus with a mind going 100 miles an hour. Of course if you don't know how to deal with excess energy and try to contain it the result is bad behavior. It can be a gift when you learn how to deal with it.

That's true. When they were going to put my daughter on Ritalin I took it for a week to see what it did. It was good. The ear worms disappeared. I wasn't distracted by secondary noises that others don't hear unless it's pointed out to them. The doctor asked if I wanted to go on it. Nope, BIG drawback. It also slowed down my thought process. As a production supervisor I needed to think fast about many different issues. I can deal with the background stuff. I have all my life but I could bear not being able to think FAST, FAST, FAST.

So they finaly figured out its genetic, lol.
Tell me something we dont already know.

Tell that to Edrik.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join