It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING! Odds of Life on Newfound Earth-Size Planet '100 Percent,' Astronomer Says!

page: 24
<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   
The Videos Up! Check it: CNN-Life on another Planet?

edit on 1-10-2010 by Truther101 because: .

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Truther101

One important thing I thought of when I heard that the astronomer had picked up a laser light pulse from that planet is that it would be extremely important that any light signal coming to us should be decyphered immediately in the laboratory because the laser light streaming at us could contain a message. Think about it. If you and all other habitable planets could not travel to visit each other because of the distance, what better way to say Hi than to send messages via laser light. We need to decypher the light pulses that reach us.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by kimwarrior

Sounds great and i agree, but IMO, i dont think the "guys up there" would even hint of that laser signal to have a message encrypted in it(if they do find a message) anytime soon.

But then again, as per whats been happening in the past week, i would'nt be surprised!

edit on 1-10-2010 by Truther101 because: add

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by BigOrange

I wouldn't want to go to another planet to try to survive. I especially wouldn't want to go to one that is already inhabited (which it may be). That would be like saying we are more important than them and that their world is for our use, and who cares what happens to them. Would we like it if that happened to us?

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by mark1167
reply to post by maybereal11

From what I've read they are saying that this planet is in a system that is relatively close...only twenty light years? Is that right? Have they looked at any systems closer than that? You would think that if these types of planets are abundant we would have found them much closer than twenty light years.

can someone enlighten me. Thanks. peace.

Correct.

Here's the situation. It has only been maybe 8-10 years since astronomers figured out that they could see the slightest of "wobbles" in a star...thus indicating that a planet might be tugging on it...

The other method is detecting the slightest "dimming" of the star in a regular pattern...a planet passing between the star and the observer as it orbits.

From there some seriously high end mathematics are emplyed to determine size, mass and exact position etc....confirmedd via multiple methods and approaches etc. If we can get an actual "view" then we can analyse the light from the planet to get a clue as to atomosphere, elements that might be present on the planet etc.

Right now our technology is such that we can only see the big ones...We are unable to spot planets as small as earth right now...we need better technology.

That said...10 years...500 exoplanets thus far.

we have gone from assuming that planets are rare...to the suspicion that most stars we see in the sky have planets orbiting them...it's just an issue of ...are they large enough for us to spot with the tech. and science we have now. Astronomers are pushing hard to drive the tech and science to see smaller and smaller planets and hopefully soon they will be able to easily spot planets as small as earth.

This planet is 20 light years away...our options for "contact" with "potential" life forms at such a distance are
(1) Another Einstien upsets the world of physics and all we take as given...and figures out how to exceed the speed of light. It is easy to say this is impossible, but Einstien himself radically overthrew and changed the very premises of science (time and space) when he came up with relativity, it is arrogance to think it is absolutely impossible to do again. I am an optimist.

(2) Hold out hope that there is a more advanced civilization out there that has already done this...AND is interested in making contact with us...

My Opinion?....If science has shown us anything it is that the universe/nature/god/whatever DOES NOT WASTE SPACE and here on earth, where the most remote chances of life exist...in the most extreme of conditions...IT DOES. The universe LOVES TO CREATE LIFE.....so with Trillions of stars in just our galaxy alone and with current science leaning toward each star having a strong probability of having planets...wow...the numbers are beyond comprehension...there are few things in life that I am as certain of as thier being other civilizations out there..."disclosure", Gov Cover-up, alien visitation to earth? all unproven question marks in my mind, but life beyond earth? I can't see it any other way.

The obvious question...where is everybody if the numbers look this way? No one knows, but it is difficult to guess without starting to sound sci-fi or a little unhinged. My honest opinion? Right now we are freaking out about our fellow human beings that originate from our own continent. Humans haven't even proven we can tolerate eachother without wars, terrorism, bigotry, racism, xenophobia etc. To an advanced civilization we might appear really, reallly primitive and it would warrant them declaring us a "forrest preserve" of sorts with a no-contact rule to allow us to continue to evolve until we reach a point in which mutual communication would be beneficial.

Think about this...we all hear how TV signals travel in space. 1935 was the first broadcast...imagine some advanced civilization recieving those signals...How many wars have they seen? What do they see now? Do you think we look like an sufficiently advanced civilization to them...Or do you think they are a little horrified by the way we destroy and murder eachother over for the stupidest of reasons....the invisible person I worship is better than the invisible person you worship...I mean really are we any better the pre-historic people hitting eachother over the head with rocks?

Just my opinion of course...we have a ways to go.

Edit to add: Here are the closest stars to earth in order..beyond the Sun of course
www.astro.wisc.edu...

the closest is Alpha Centuari at just under 5 light years

From Wikipedia

The discovery of planets orbiting other star systems, including similar binary systems (Gamma Cephei), raises the possibility that planets may exist in the Alpha Centauri system. Such planets could orbit Alpha Centauri A or Alpha Centauri B individually, or be on large orbits around the binary Alpha Centauri AB. Since both the principal stars are fairly similar to the Sun (for example, in age and metallicity), astronomers have been especially interested in making detailed searches for planets in the Alpha Centauri system. Several established planet-hunting teams have used various radial velocity or star transit methods in their searches around these two bright stars. All the observational studies have so far failed to find any evidence for brown dwarfs or gas giant planets.

However, computer simulations show that a planet might have been able to form within a distance of 1.1 AU (160 million km) of Alpha Centauri B and the orbit of that planet may remain stable for at least 250 million years.[72] Bodies around A would be able to orbit at slightly farther distances due to A's stronger gravity. In addition, the lack of any brown dwarfs or gas giants around A and B make the likelihood of terrestrial planets greater than otherwise. Currently, technologies do not allow for terrestrial planets like Earth to be detected around Alpha Centauri.

Alpha Centauri is envisioned as the first target for unmanned interstellar exploration. Crossing the huge distance between the Sun and Alpha Centauri using current spacecraft technologies would take several millennia, though the possibility of space sail, or Nuclear Pulse Fusion technology may cut this down to a matter of decades.[74]

edit on 1-10-2010 by maybereal11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
There sure are a lot of members posting that they are either surprised or in disbelief over these recent developments. Me, I was expecting this. As a matter of fact, as the astronomy technology becomes even more refined I expect many more discoveries such as this. I can envision a snowballing of discoveries where it will likely be found that most star systems have at least one habitable planet. It will be found that the galaxy is teaming with Earth-like planets like Star trek predicted.

Let's take it a step further. How long will it be before evidence is found that civilizations are on these "Class M" planets? I can see it coming where astronomers will be detecting evidence of industrial pollutants in those atmospheres and things of that nature.

It's all falling into place just as I expected. Keep it coming.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Unknown Origin

Since 1958 to present...Nasa has been given around 400 Billion dollars over 50 YEARS.

US defense was given around 700 Billion LAST YEAR ALONE.

This planet we live on needs to get our sh*& together.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by maybereal11

This planet is 20 light years away...our options for "contact" with "potential" life forms at such a distance are
(1) Another Einstien upsets the world of physics and all we take as given...and figures out how to exceed the speed of light. It is easy to say this is impossible, but Einstien himself radically overthrew and changed the very premises of science (time and space) when he came up with relativity, it is arrogance to think it is absolutely impossible to do again. I am an optimist.

(2) Hold out hope that there is a more advanced civilization out there that has already done this...AND is interested in making contact with us...

My feelings are that the sheer number of unexplainable UFO sightings and all of the other unexplainable events such as Roswell proves that faster than light travel is absolutely attainable. It may be via wormholes too but one thing I have no doubt about, they are coming here from many light years away and they are doing it on a routine basis.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Since 1958 to present...Nasa has been given around 400 Billion dollars over 50 YEARS.

Well... as long as NASA insists on using 'rockets', there is no point to increasing their budget. Rocket propulsion is a waste of money for human space flight.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Larryman

Theyve BEEN working on some serious technological advances in rockets.

Check it:
NASA and VASMIR Rocket-NASA.GOV
VASMIR Rocket-Wiki

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by IntastellaBurst
reply to post by OldDragger

Your probably right, disclosure will not happen anytime soon.

But not for lack of existence, they probably don't want to shatter the fragile belief systems of people like yourself

can't have any mass suicides now.

This is so true in my opinion. We here on Earth have so many problems between the religions already just wait until it is found out that we are not alone. There will be mass pandemonium in certain ethnic/religious groups. When in reality if there is a God he created a huge universe with plenty of planets with many of his diverse creations.

On the other hand if there is no God, then we better get our EGO in-check and learn that we are not the end all be all. We will have to deal with the fact that we are not alone and that these Aliens if they are space travelers may know a thing or two about how to survive this period of human development that we find ourselves in without destroying ourselves in wars or polluting ourselves into extinction.

In any case either way it will be time for humans to pull up their big boy pants.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unknown Origin

My feelings are that the sheer number of unexplainable UFO sightings and all of the other unexplainable events such as Roswell proves that faster than light travel is absolutely attainable. It may be via wormholes too but one thing I have no doubt about, they are coming here from many light years away and they are doing it on a routine basis.

At the very best, conflicting evidence in the best of cases.

Have aliens visited earth...I think so, but that is opinion, no hard evidence yet.

If I had to guess...95% of all alien abduction, visitation stories are fiction or confusion.

5% represent sampling and study by advanced civilizations...imagine a wolf pack in a remote national forrest...observed from a distance undisturbed, counted, studied, documented, recorded, with the very rare helicopter flight to dart one and take physical samples for study. But everyone understands that the nature of the study is hands-off, not disturbance or contact.

Again...this is just my opinion and I have followed the "UFO" phenomena for years and I still have not found any "hard" evidence. Stories is all there is. Physical evidence is always in dispute and sometimes hoaxed.

are some of the stories convincing? Sure. But nothing that reaches a genuinely scientific threshold yet.

All I can do is speculate. Science is in a strange place right now...on one end of the spectrum all the science and math tells us that thier is near absolute probability that other advanced civilations...more advanced than our own are out there...and at the same time science cannot explain why we have not met them yet.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Truther101

VASMIR is just another rocket joke.
It can not even achieve light speed.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Larryman

Well... as long as NASA insists on using 'rockets', there is no point to increasing their budget. Rocket propulsion is a waste of money for human space flight.

Chicken or the Egg...Rockets might be all they can afford to work on. Please read my numbers again and imagine where we would be if we funded space exploration like we do the Military-Inustrial complex.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by maybereal11

It's guaranteed that congress will not provide funding for a project that NASA has not the guts to ask for. So on the 'chicken or the egg' you propose... I think chicken describes NASA best.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Larryman

But come on!!!! we are advancing, clearly, by using the VASMIR we can go to mars in 39 days as opposed to 4 years!!!

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by OldDragger

Just have to jump in here and say that not all believers are, well, walking around with great big blinders on. In fact, there are those with blinders on both sides of the issue.

However, I am a believer, and I think, and I study, and I learn. The most interesting sources of information far predate the 50s, that is for sure. I was a kid in the late 60s and 70s, and I remember lots of talk about ufos and aliens back then. I didn't start to learn about what was written by the Sumerians and what is written in the Bible of aliens until I was in my 30s.

And there are those who say the Sumerian texts are mythology, unlike all their detailed records of births, deaths, civic matters, etc. but those people, alas, are walking around with big blinders on. It's all part and parcel of attributing lesser intelligence and discernment to a people just because they were "ancient peoples." Well, someday, these generations will also be ancient peoples.

Any who automatically debunk are wearing blinders. Not pointing any fingers
... it's just as I said to my husband about sports, which he despises...

it's never good to be fanatical, no matter if it's for or against something.

oh gosh, and I'm not calling anyone a fanatic!

very cool post anyways, and something I will be watching

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
People need to develop a broader understanding of the Universe. This is a begining but it is not even a baby step. Get ready to to start changing every thing you have learned, get ready to reevaluate everything you believe in because new info is ready to explode into the light like it has never before!
If you have not already you will question, religion, The Creator, travel, time travel and much much more! In truth the information is already here if you know where to look and how to interpet it! Ask anyone that has really seen a UFO and they will tell you that it is such a conflicting event, it changes everything, your thoughts and your beliefs. Trust me on this I know as I have seen a UFO and it changed most of my beliefs! It has changed my thoughts on religion forever!
Would like to add a few more thoughts but time is short and gotta run for now!

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by rajaten

Well, 5 light years, 20 light years, a million light years!??! These distances all have the same meaning for KNOWN (to the lay person) earthside propulsion technologies.

There seems absolutely no reason for the kind of excitement for indirectly detecting a potential earth so far away. UNLESS there is more, much more than we are told about what's behind the excitement - which are one or more of the following explanation points:
1 We have near-light-speed propulsion drives to travel those distances andcheck things out.
2 We have already been there with and sent back confirmation.
3 "They" have been here/ are here/ are coming.
4 We are being prepped to regard the announcement of THEM, here, as the next logical step.

With the United Nations' ET liaison appointed in the last few days, I am betting on #4 with maybe a touch of #3. Logical. There is too much "putting the shop in order for Grandma's visit" going on - Vatican, United Nations. Both are globe spanning institutions perfectly organized to assist communication and control.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
IMO, it might be also a reason for the "people hiding our reverse engineered alien technologies" to propose this new planet discovery as a way to get funding and then within a couple of months to a year, they "miraculously"(due to the great amount of funding) "invented" new technology that will allow us to achieve faster than light travel, to get to this planet as our plan B.

Just a thought

Side Note: According to the Mayans 9 levels of consciousness , beginning Feb 2011(commencement of the 9th and final consciousness level), will have global/mind blowing changes every 20 days. I would'nt be surprised that next year all these technologies will come up.....once again, just a thought

edit on 1-10-2010 by Truther101 because: .

top topics

<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join