It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Jailed for Microwaving a Hamster

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by wheresthetruth

Exactly wheresthetruth.

The only reason this guy is being picked on is because he was drunk and what he did is just more original.

It's a crime to be a fool, but it's a bigger crime to be unique.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   
What if he had pet fish and decided to roast 'em?

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Whine Flu

not everyone, read the thread, some think its acceptable as long as you eat it, some have a list in their heads of the importance/significance of each living thing, it usually goes from the fluffiest being the most important to the ugly looking ones at the bottom. people trying to play god and deciding which species are more worthy.

some people who claim to be against animal cruelty really only every care about the cutest, yet when it comes to the rest of the animal kingdom they really do not care or if they do don't kick up much of a fuss and instead make up excuses as to why it is acceptable in some cases.

these abuses take place worldwide on a daily basis yet we only ever hear about the cute animals, so if your against animal cruelty and animal suffering, you surely appreciate other people pointing out other abuses that nobody ever seems to be bothered about. if the lobster had a furry coat and cute eyes i am sure we would hear more about lobsters.

whilst i appreciate people need to eat, if cooking a hamster alive is wrong then it is wrong for the whole animal kingdom. its typical humans just picking and choosing like we used to with humans, these color people can have rights but these ones cannot.

at the end of the day the man deserves to be punished, but he has done nothing millions of people don't already do worldwide, he is basically in jail because it was a cute hamster and not a ugly (insert animal) or what ever ugly thing people are scared of. i am pretty sure he would of walked with a caution or a fine if it had been something ugly that people consider worthy enough for it to be a crime, it would not of even been a crime if it was something lower on peoples lists, he would simply receive a few negative comments about his actions. its strange how the same act can be treated differently depending on which living thing he had selected or which part of the world you live.

in fact if he lived in south korea or china the police would of stopped by for dinner.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Whats this world come to when a man cant even fry a hamster in his microwave without big brother intervening!??

Our founding fathers must be rolling in their graves!

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

Your first link does not prove that lobsters feel pain, only that they react to outside stimuli that may damage their body. I am not saying they do not feel pain, or to what extent, but it is a very hard subject to deal with. If I remember correctly, lobsters have a decentralized nervous system, meaning it is spread out through the entire body, which is different from mammals and most fish. Knowing that, we have to classify pain in other terms other than stimulation in a certain part of a brain, which we have yet to do.

Scientific jargon aside, I think what the guy did was horrible and some sort of punishment is due, but I think microwaving him as some members have suggested is a LITTLE extreme. An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind!

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by TarzanBeta

Originally posted by Whine Flu
Oh man, seriously. One thing that pisses me off about threads like this is the fact some "enlightened" prick will always come around spouting "nurrrrgh what about the other instances of cruelty that go unnoticed in society, like fishing etc". Yeah, we get it. We don't agree with that either. There's absolutely no need to keep bringing that stuff up.

Seriously.

Boy, won't you be shocked to find out that plants feel pain.

We may not be able to perceive it or study it, but what do we actually know about what plants feel?

BUT WE GOTTA EAT SOMETHING!

To not agree with fishing is craziness - mainly because you don't know the perception of these creatures.

It is narcissism for people to believe that their own perception indicates what perception another living thing might have.

Looks like someone took my post out of proportion and thought I was some sort of PETA dude. I dunno how anyone got that.

edit on 23-9-2010 by Whine Flu because: you like both guys and men.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 02:27 AM
link   
reply to post by ThePacifist

Jailed for Microwaving a Hamster

I find it somewhat heartwarming that humanity cares enough about others to punish itself for harming them.

reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

I can't believe a person would do this to a innocent creature.

What measure is a non-cute?

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 03:54 AM
link   
meh;..its a hamster.

There should be a simple sentence for this...

he should be required to eat it...if your going to kill an animal, at least have a reason behind it...

hamster fondue anyone?

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

I think a hamster and cheese sandwich would be better.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 03:57 AM
link   
There is no defence for what this excuse for a man did, but others here are right, we also need to look at acts of animal cruelty that happen on a daily basis.

With hamsters & lobsters aside, lets give a minute of our time to poultry. The chickens and turkeys we're so ready to tuck into on a Sunday lunch or in a salad etc, and their eggs, which we use in so many ways every day. These birds start their lives by having their beak tips seared off with a burning hot implement so they don't peck each other. They are kept in dark, dank sheds, with no natural daylight, hundreds of other birds claw & flap their way over them, they have about a quarter of a inch to move. Some, unable to withstand the bulking diet (they're basicaly fed until they can't walk, which causes them to gain body mass their underdeveloped legs cannot carry) so their legs seize up and they fall to the floor, unable to reach food or water containers, they slowly starve or are slowly trampled to death by their fellow birds.They strut over the corpses of their fellow birds, and eventualy they die too, in a blood filled slaughter facility, where they are hung upside down on a moving machine that cuts their throats one at a time. Then they are doused in boiling vats of water to remove their feathers, some of the birds who's throats were missed by the throat cutting machine are still alive when this happens.

Then there is battery egg production, where chickens are kept in tiny cages, in dark sheds with no natural light. This method is probably even worse than the one above, as these hens live a lot longer, but in even worse conditons. They sit in these cages all their lives, ther sole purpose is to lay eggs, day in day out, lay eggs. Eventualy, when their bodies are too worn out to produce any more eggs, their thin exhausted bodies are slaughtered and sent off to be made into stock cubes or pet food.

The difference between what the drunken jerk did and the poultry farming is the poultry farming methods I mentioned are perfectly legal under the UK government, and many others worldwide. If animal cruelty is going to be making the news more these days, then the news must be unbiased and cover acts of cruelty committed not only by members of the public, but ones that are excused by regulation and government leniency.

Also I'm not even going into animal testing.....

edit on 23-9-2010 by The Chez because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 04:07 AM
link   
A message for people who torture helpless animals - you are lost in every way - your soul and your spirit are absent.

Recently there was a woman who dumped a cute cat into a wheelie bin here in NZ.

What is it with these people?

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by catwhoknows
What is it with these people?

They are in a mental place of insecurity, burdened with an overwhelming sense of impotence, or even a serious level of inner pain that needs to be vented.

That or they are stinking drunk and stupid.

It runs the gambit.

- Lee

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 04:26 AM
link   
reply to post by lee anoma

Lee,

If I was blind drunk I would never hurt an animal.

I would never hurt an animal, whatever condition I was in.

So I think drunkeness is not an excuse. Probably mental illness causes it. And having power over something because you are being bullied and/or beaten.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 05:05 AM
link   
i honestly think that if a person kills an animal in a painful agonizing way then that person should also be killed the same way as the animal i do not care if that sounds bad i dont if this person lived beside of me i would have tied him up and then put him into an oven at about 475 degrees untill he died since they dont make microwaves that big and idk how to build one lol. i hate people who abuse animals and i hate people who kill animals for enjoyment and not for food. the only time you should kill and animal is for food and you should do it in a fast manner that is as painless for that animal as possible. this guy is such an a**hole i cant stand people who abuse any kind of animal. i have a pitbull and it is the nicest dog i have ever had and i have had him for 6 years and has never bit anyone. if someone harmed my dog i would take my time and torture the fool untill he died. if someone tortured my frog and pigmy guineapig they would have the same fate. im so F**king mad and disgusted right now this guy should be put to death by hanging or firing squad not some pu**y way like lethal injection. but i bet the guy doesnt get hardly anything out of this.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 05:55 AM
link   

reply to post by lee anoma

Lee,

If I was blind drunk I would never hurt an animal.

I would never hurt an animal, whatever condition I was in.

You speak for all blind drunks of the world?
I mean, how could you know how I handle too much alcohol?

I'm not you.

I also added stupid in there too, btw.

- Lee

edit on 23-9-2010 by lee anoma because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Oh god, he has murdered Richard Hammond...

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 06:03 AM
link   

So I think drunkeness is not an excuse. Probably mental illness causes it. And having power over something because you are being bullied and/or beaten.

That is exactly what this meant:

They are in a mental place of insecurity, burdened with an overwhelming sense of impotence, or even a serious level of inner pain that needs to be vented.

I guess I said it a bit differently than you and in a more textbook manner, but we are saying the exact same thing.

- Lee

edit on 23-9-2010 by lee anoma because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 06:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Kurotachi

Go forth on your benevolent quest, my friend. Kill all those who slay farm animals!

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99

Originally posted by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi
The guy was put in jail for this... That means he will now get free shelter, education and three meals a day paid for by taxpayers. I'd rather he be shot.

Sorry to select this one out of the riled up comments, but this is too much.

Look, its cruel and painful what he did, and the meat we eat is often procured in painful and cruel ways as well. Its barbaric what they do to livestock at the slaugher house, and fish, ceteceans drawn into a big shredder on tuna boats.

However, should children who pull the wings of grasshoppers also be shot?

I don't believe in a prison sentence either. He needs counseling, and a bracelot, and work at an animal shelter. But we have more laws protecting animals than billions of poor in this world.

And this must be put into perspective. He is your brother. Pray for him and send him light. The political ramifications from living in a world that does this is enormous.

There is a HUGE difference between a married man microwaving a hamster and a child dismembering a bug. Jail is more of a sanctuary than prison these days. Counseling? How is counseling effective when Western governments have no real understanding of the human mind; Western therapy is based on chemical and psychological mental rearrangement as opposed to anything natural or effective and only cause far more severe problems through their textbook solutions.

If he is shot, then it makes it clear; anyone else who is so horribly misguided that they must microwave conscious animals to relieve stress will also be shot. Then this wouldn't happen again. You think this stupid garbage happens in more brutal countries?

And yes, let's pray because praying solves everything
Sins and virtues are on an individual level. Why do you think there are random massacres by random people in the US every week, as opposed to a country like Russia where they face terrorism from rebels?

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Viral
Your first link does not prove that lobsters feel pain, only that they react to outside stimuli that may damage their body. I am not saying they do not feel pain, or to what extent, but it is a very hard subject to deal with. If I remember correctly, lobsters have a decentralized nervous system, meaning it is spread out through the entire body, which is different from mammals and most fish. Knowing that, we have to classify pain in other terms other than stimulation in a certain part of a brain, which we have yet to do.

Yes, I just provided some links that have some supportive evidence to the hypothesis that lobsters feel pain.

If anything, I was trying to point out how fallacious it is for people to use the ''argument from ignorance'' line of reasoning to justify animal cruelty:

''There is nothing to say that lobsters feel pain, therefore they don't feel pain !''

''There is no evidence that < insert tasty, or non-cute animal > are self-aware and capable of abstract thought, so they must be incapable of this !''.

I think that any animal that's survived millions of years of evolution, must have some extraordinary capabilities and functions; many of which we are unable to recognise or observe accurately.

So I say: Treat all animals kindly. You know it makes sense !

edit on 25-9-2010 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join