It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Jailed for Microwaving a Hamster

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
The guy is clearly an idiot.

But anyone here who is picking up pitchforks over this instead of over the way you people want to treat your fellow human beings...

You guys all wish for the human to suffer for his cause of suffering to the hamster. Do you people even think before you type?

Do you know how much suffering that hamster might have caused bugs that got in its path? Little animals, spiders, etc? Maybe that hamster got just what he deserved. (sarcasm because people here are incredibly .....literal is the nicest word I can come up with).

I don't condone the nuking of a hamster, but neither do I condone the burning of a human at the stake of hypocrisy.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Talking about boiling lobsters, what would happen if his girlfriend had a pet lobster, and he boiled and ate it?
What if he ate the hamster?

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
In response to those of you that don't "condone" the boiling of lobsters. Well, given the fact that I spent my summers in Maine (my second home), lobster/seafood cookouts are a time-honored tradition. The fact is, you have to get the water to a roiling boil and put them in HEAD FIRST. That is the only way to dispatch them quickly. Putting them in head first kills them within 2-3 seconds, and then 10-12 minutes later you have sweet lobster meat goodness (with a side of lightly salted butter, I could be in heaven).

As far as the guy nuking the hamster:

It was cruel, it was stupid, and the guy is an idiot for doing it. There is a big difference between boiling my lobsters and slowly nuking a hamster to death. I can only imagine the pain the little guy was going through. However, we do the same things with unwanted rodents like rats, chipmunks, and the like. The decon rat poison that is so popular these days does nothing but slowly kill unwanted rodents. It dehydrates them to the point of death, and it's a slow and agonizing process for them. Let's think about the ways that we kill unwanted / non-pet friendly rodents, and then come back and talk about this guy nuking the hamster. Should there be a different value on each individual animal? Rats, chipmunks, squirrels, etc. are considered "nuisances" while hamsters are considered "cute, furry, cuddly," etc. Does this mean that a hamster has more value than the unwanted species? I say not. Of course, this is besides the point. The dude should at the very least be given a very hefty fine, community service (preferably at an animal trauma center or shelter), and maybe 6 months in the clink.

It makes me sick thinking of all the disgusting human beings we have out there.

Peace be with you.

-truthseeker

edit on 22-9-2010 by truthseeker1984 because: Grammatical Error

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by LostNemesis

I have worked in an high end restaurant in London, Where they cook lobster and trust me they do make a lot of noise for an crustacean that doesn't feel pain. Its like they are screaming when you put them into the boiling water, took a while to desensitize to it.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by truthseeker1984
It was cruel, it was stupid, and the guy is an idiot for doing it. There is a big difference between boiling my lobsters and slowly nuking a hamster to death. I can only imagine the pain the little guy was going through. However, we do the same things with unwanted rodents like rats, chipmunks, and the like. The decon rat poison that is so popular these days does nothing but slowly kill unwanted rodents. It dehydrates them to the point of death, and it's a slow and agonizing process for them. Let's think about the ways that we kill unwanted / non-pet friendly rodents, and then come back and talk about this guy nuking the hamster. Should there be a different value on each individual animal? Rats, chipmunks, squirrels, etc. are considered "nuisances" while hamsters are considered "cute, furry, cuddly," etc. Does this mean that a hamster has more value than the unwanted species? I say not. Of course, this is besides the point. The dude should at the very least be given a very hefty fine, community service (preferably at an animal trauma center or shelter), and maybe 6 months in the clink.

That's an excellent post. My comment is this: when we dispatch rodents and such, we do it of necessity of sorts -- like they mess up my vegetable garden (which they do) to the point that there is no harvest, and I need my veggies. It's bad but you may be overrun with common mice in your own house if you don't take measures.

Inflicting pain for entertainment is a different thing. There are numerous examples where cruel people started on animals and then graduated to doing same to humans. So I agree, a fine and a few months in the clink.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThePacifist
reply to post by LostNemesis

I have worked in an high end restaurant in London, Where they cook lobster and trust me they do make a lot of noise for an crustacean that doesn't feel pain. Its like they are screaming when you put them into the boiling water, took a while to desensitize to it.

They "scream" due to the steam being released from their shells. Like I said: Head first, 2-3 seconds then they're dead, 10-12 minutes later, tasty lobster meat.

Peace be with you.

-truthseeker

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by LostNemesis
Am I the only one who thinks there is a difference between boiling a lobster and microwaving a hamster?

A lobster has never been proven to feel pain, while on the other hand, hamsters are mammals like us - and therefor, experience pain the same as we do.

Big difference between mammals and shellfish.

People used to think lobsters can't feel pain, but it's been proved now they do. What's more, as their "brain" is spread through their body, they will not fall unconscious as quickly as a creature with a localised brain will.
I've boiled lobsters alive, once, when I believed they couldn't feel pain, but never again. They screamed and struggled for ages.

However it's becoming more common for chefs who cook lobsters to freeze them first, as that's the most humane way to kill them.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
The guy was put in jail for this... That means he will now get free shelter, education and three meals a day paid for by taxpayers. I'd rather he be shot.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Should there be a different value on each individual animal? Rats, chipmunks, squirrels, etc. are considered "nuisances" while hamsters are considered "cute, furry, cuddly," etc. Does this mean that a hamster has more value than the unwanted species? I say not.

Does the rat eating the corn have more value than the fleas infesting it?
Does the horse have more value than the rats eating its corn?
Does the rider have more value than the horse she rides?

Don't forget, we are another species of animal.

Another point to note, the guy did this with the intention of causing his GF emotional pain.
And you can be sure it worked.
Therefore this was not only animal cruelty, it was also a particularly vicious and cowardly type of assault.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Man, this is absolutely saddening...

Only one hamster was killed?
Wasted opportunity.

edit on 22-9-2010 by ghaleon12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kailassa

Should there be a different value on each individual animal? Rats, chipmunks, squirrels, etc. are considered "nuisances" while hamsters are considered "cute, furry, cuddly," etc. Does this mean that a hamster has more value than the unwanted species? I say not.

Does the rat eating the corn have more value than the fleas infesting it?
Does the horse have more value than the rats eating its corn?
Does the rider have more value than the horse she rides?

Don't forget, we are another species of animal.

Another point to note, the guy did this with the intention of causing his GF emotional pain.
And you can be sure it worked.
Therefore this was not only animal cruelty, it was also a particularly vicious and cowardly type of assault.

And you caught the whole point of my post. No matter what we do, some species will be put higher on a pedestal than others. The goal is to live in balance.

And I agree with you on your second point. The guy did it to inflict emotional pain, but no court will convict him on that alone. What happened was disgusting, but it happens every day. The only thing we can do is treat our own animals will kindness, and humanely treat/euthanize those that are found to be a "nuisance" to some people.

Peace be with you.

-truthseeker

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Everyone is trying to save the trees these days. Well I bet that for every hamster cage, a couple trees are killed during during that rodents lifetime.
45 seconds on the high setting and I bet you that the hamster would taste like chicken.

SAVE THE TREES!

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Djdoubt03
One question. Sounds like the cops showed up randomly. Did someone call them? And why the hell would this guy spill the beans, surely the hampster corpse woul have been easy to hide.

edit on 9/22/10 by Djdoubt03 because: (no reason given)

NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Macuser
Everyone is trying to save the trees these days. Well I bet that for every hamster cage, a couple trees are killed during during that rodents lifetime.
45 seconds on the high setting and I bet you that the hamster would taste like chicken.

SAVE THE TREES!

Oh, and hamster cages are usually made of plastic, lol. Probably worse than using tree's given how long it would take to degrade

edit on 22/9/2010 by OzWeatherman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi
The guy was put in jail for this... That means he will now get free shelter, education and three meals a day paid for by taxpayers. I'd rather he be shot.

Sorry to select this one out of the riled up comments, but this is too much.

Look, its cruel and painful what he did, and the meat we eat is often procured in painful and cruel ways as well. Its barbaric what they do to livestock at the slaugher house, and fish, ceteceans drawn into a big shredder on tuna boats.

However, should children who pull the wings of grasshoppers also be shot?

I don't believe in a prison sentence either. He needs counseling, and a bracelot, and work at an animal shelter. But we have more laws protecting animals than billions of poor in this world.

And this must be put into perspective. He is your brother. Pray for him and send him light. The political ramifications from living in a world that does this is enormous.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Never tried a microwaved hamster.

Once when I was younger and walked with the Indians in Peru I ate some cute and furry fried guinea pig though!

My dear younger sister by the time, she throwed a hissy fit when they told us that we would be eating cute Guienea pigs for the evening!

I found them to be very delicious during the circumstances!

So I am of course against throwing living aninmal in the microwave just to hurt and torture them while they are alive, but who knows? maybe there are some some good recipies floating around here from our friend in those parts of the world for microwaved Hamster?

Hehe! please dont kill me!

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Children pull wings off of grasshoppers?

Why?..

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by noonebutme

so from what your saying, if he ate the hamster after the act, waste not want not, everything would of been fine?
but because he did not eat the hamster he should get a very lengthy jail sentence?

also if i order lobster in a restaurant and the waiter goes to the trouble of boiling the lobster alive but once it was presented on my plate after filling up with a first course i decided that i no longer felt like eating any of the lobster then i would walk out of the restaurant a free man?

interesting world we live, nothing makes sense.

all i know (and this is not directed at you, just in general) if people cared with the same vigor about crimes against humanity worldwide, things might look a little brighter for the future.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
The s.o.b. should be given the lash, as should all who inflict cruelty on an animal. I'm hoping his fellow inmates find out why he's incarcerated, then the jerk will receive a good dose of prison justice. My fear is that people who abuse animals will eventually turn to abusing children for whatever sick kicks they get out of it.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Clearly he deserves to be sent to the lowest circle of hell for this heinous act. And since it's probably genetic, his entire family going back 3 generations.

<< 1    3  4 >>

join