It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Jailed for Microwaving a Hamster

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ken10
[more
Really apples and oranges. The difference is the development of the brain. A lobster can feel pain, but not master higher functions. A hamster can feel pain, respond to people, be trained, be affectionate....it's why people have pet hamsters and not pet lobsters.
I for one would never put a live active lobster in boiling water.
I know that the preferred method is to ice it down for several hours, where it goes into a more relaxed, hypothermic state. This gives you a much more tender meat. Dropping it in boiling water causes all kinds of muscle contraction, making them tough.
I thought everyone knew that........

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by lifeform11
reply to post by noonebutme

so from what your saying, if he ate the hamster after the act, waste not want not, everything would of been fine?
but because he did not eat the hamster he should get a very lengthy jail sentence?

also if i order lobster in a restaurant and the waiter goes to the trouble of boiling the lobster alive but once it was presented on my plate after filling up with a first course i decided that i no longer felt like eating any of the lobster then i would walk out of the restaurant a free man?

interesting world we live, nothing makes sense.

all i know (and this is not directed at you, just in general) if people cared with the same vigor about crimes against humanity worldwide, things might look a little brighter for the future.

Brilliant example of good thinking my friend!

I wish that I had the power to applaude you for that post! but I haven't! so you get a lot of "golf claps" and a star!

YEAH!! whattabout the poor lobster boiling slowly to death?

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ThePacifist

Lobster are incapable of "screaming". Please point out any mouth organ able to produce sound.
What you hear is steam, coming from the water beneath the shell finding it's way out of a small hole. Smaller the hole, higher the pitch. Like a whistle.
Hopefully they were ribbing you a bit and knew that themselves. If they did, they had a joke at your expense. If they didn't, please give me the name of the place so I won't eat there. They don't know what they are doing.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
what a sicko!
who wants a burger or some wings?

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Although I agree the live boiling of lobster is a horrible act it is one too delicious to poke at.

I'm sorry but I have a severe love for there wonderful juicy cockroach related goodness (with garlic butter sauce and maybe some crab stuffing in the shell split...)

Call me cruel but I just can't help myself.

You know when you microwave a mammal it will eventually explode right?

edit on 22-9-2010 by DaMod because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by stars15k
The difference is the development of the brain. A lobster can feel pain, but not master higher functions.

How do you know ?

You are just anthropomorphising another creature's experiences, that you have no personal knowledge of.

For all we know, lobsters may realise pain less intensely than we do, then again they may realise pain more intensely than we do.

All the evidence suggests that lobsters feel pain, so why would anyone think it agreeable to boil them alive ?

What is particularly sick, is that apparently at some restaurants, the chef comes out with a selection of two or three live lobsters, so the punter can pick which one he wants to eat.

The people who can watch the lobsters moving around, while calmly and callously selecting which one they want to stuff their gob with, are every bit as sick as this person that microwaved a hamster.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I felt a slight tingle inside me when I see this not sure might have been anger

Not at the crazy bloke nuking his hamster

I mean seriously there's no emoticon to convey the absolute ridiculous friggin absurdity of this I mean COME ON!!

I'd love to put it like Unity did and tbh that's a much more effective punishment, time in an animal shelter but the court costs, the prosecutor and his description of the poor furry rodents demise and journey to the after-life!
The jail time and as said previously the cost in that I mean...just.....freakin ell!

The fact the news reporting it and we are now here entwined in the phylosphical debates of such, however I liked the reading itself of where this went too, interesting

However it's things such as this and the police being called and the whole charade which has now followed which makes you wonder how we've got this far sometimes as a species

P.S I like all living creatures

Panda

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Djdoubt03

I imagine it went something like this..

-Drunk Man runs up to the cops- SHES DEAD SHES DEAAAAAAAAAAAAAD -Accompanying tears- YOU HAVE TO SAVE HER OFFICER -Holds up exploded hamster corpse-

Officer: Are you serious?

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

Well, if you noticed, I have had experience with live lobsters.
And hamster.
Lobsters do not do anything more that the bugs they are related to. Ever see a housefly happy to see you come home? Or a butterfly worry because the light was turned off? Climb your arm and sit on your shoulder, finally napping in your shirt?
My hamster did and more.
The people anthropomorphising things are the ones who think that the brain of a lobster is capable of doing much more than exist in a biological way. I know they do react to painful things. It's probably one of their higher functions. But they do not have the brain cells to much else.

BTW, I think the highest function would probably be migratory behaviour. But that is still just behaviour, not higher thought.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

I can never remember if the green things in the body cavity is what you eat, or if you can eat everything but the green things. I've had several, and it all looks to gross, so stick to what is white and meaty. Garlic butter...sounds so good. Yummmm.

Oh, and the roe. I know you can and should eat that. Especially stirred into the garlic butter.....nom.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Hmmm, I wonder if microwaving a rat is acceptable? Or should we not try new kinds of rat traps?

edit on 22-9-2010 by quantum_flux because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by LostNemesis

Actually, it HAS been proven that lobsters can feel pain. Do some research. Actually it's been proven that insects even feel pain. Pain is CRUCIAL for animal survival.

Here are some studies:
www.msnbc.msn.com...
scienceblogs.com...

It doesn't matter if a crab doesn't have that much "intelligence". It still feels.

edit on 9/22/2010 by mnmcandiez because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by ken10
Lobster Thermidor anyone

No a Lobster is not the same as a Hamster. A hamster is a loving pet like a cat. A lobster is incapable of that.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Lobsters do not do anything more that the bugs they are related to.

In your personal opinion. This is far from an adequate reference for your claim.

Ever see a housefly happy to see you come home? Or a butterfly worry because the light was turned off? Climb your arm and sit on your shoulder, finally napping in your shirt?
My hamster did and more.

Again, you are anthropomorphising these animals, and basing a ''pecking order'' on your arbitrary quantification of different species' ''worth''.

The worrying thing is, that if you had a lobster as a pet, and hamsters tasted nice, then you'd probably be arguing the exact opposite to justify your personal cognitive dissonance on this issue.

The people anthropomorphising things are the ones who think that the brain of a lobster is capable of doing much more than exist in a biological way. I know they do react to painful things. It's probably one of their higher functions. But they do not have the brain cells to much else.

Again, I have to ask: how do you know ?

What reference do you have for saying that feeling pain is one of their ''higher functions'' ?

Admit it; you're pulling this one out of your hat.

Humans are only capable of existing in a biological way, unless you haven't noticed, so I fail to see your point on this.

BTW, I think the highest function would probably be migratory behaviour. But that is still just behaviour, not higher thought.

LOL.

''Higher thought'' is behaviour !

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unknown Origin
No a Lobster is not the same as a Hamster. A hamster is a loving pet like a cat. A lobster is incapable of that.

How do you know ?

Have you ever had a pet hamster ?

Have you ever had a pet lobster ?

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Oh man, seriously. One thing that pisses me off about threads like this is the fact some "enlightened" prick will always come around spouting "nurrrrgh what about the other instances of cruelty that go unnoticed in society, like fishing etc". Yeah, we get it. We don't agree with that either. There's absolutely no need to keep bringing that stuff up.

Seriously.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I seem to recall that there is a small monkey that is considered a delicacy in some very private, yet very expensive locales. I wont go into the gory details of how it happens, but its monkey brains for desert.

Asia is well known for consuming man's best friend regularly. Yet in the US, that would be forbidden.

Religion in India honor bovines as sacred ancestors, but in the US, I'll take my burger with bacon and cheese please.

Not all hunters are crack shot, one kill wonders, but no one seems to make a big deal out of it when a hunter wings a deer and has to track it for sometimes miles before discovering the suffering animal hiding, as long as you dont forget to grind some of that up into sausage.

How about reducing the population of alligators? Oh, this little game is played with hooks and ropes and you "troll" for them by tossing the hooks out into the marsh and pulling the gator in before killing it.

Most people love a good piece of grilled or fried fish, right? Just dont think about the fact that it was caught with a barbed hook, brought into an environment that it suffocates painfully in and then gets its head bashed a few times to make sure its dead.

So, go cry me a freakin river about an idiot and his hampster. He's a fool for sure, but he seems to be in good company here on 3rd Rock.

Edit to add:
All of the above listed animals are often seen as pets, with the exception being alligators.

edit on 22-9-2010 by wheresthetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Alcohol + a major tool= stupid on a level that is hard to comprehend.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unknown Origin

Originally posted by ken10
Lobster Thermidor anyone

Oh, I see. So it is only the human perception that matters obviously. If we can perceive that it has feelings, then it is a crime to hurt it... but if we can't really tell if something has feelings, go ahead. No crime there.

Hamsters are not loving pets in my opinion, by the way.

And stop picking on lobsters just because they don't have a pretty face.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whine Flu
Oh man, seriously. One thing that pisses me off about threads like this is the fact some "enlightened" prick will always come around spouting "nurrrrgh what about the other instances of cruelty that go unnoticed in society, like fishing etc". Yeah, we get it. We don't agree with that either. There's absolutely no need to keep bringing that stuff up.

Seriously.

Boy, won't you be shocked to find out that plants feel pain.

We may not be able to perceive it or study it, but what do we actually know about what plants feel?

BUT WE GOTTA EAT SOMETHING!

To not agree with fishing is craziness - mainly because you don't know the perception of these creatures.

It is narcissism for people to believe that their own perception indicates what perception another living thing might have.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join