It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The END of Online Piracy

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by ShadowAngel85

The first difference is: You gave it to a friend, someone you know. On the internet? It's not sharing, you don't give it to friends but to maybe 50.000 people you don't know. And there's a difference between one copy and 50.000, right?

Myself, I see no difference between one person (who i may or may not know) and 50,000 people (who I may or may not know).

Next: Copying was ok, because the Quality got degraded, copying from a CD to a cassette degrades the quality, same with video copies. Today? There's no degradation in quality.

Again, I disagree. Degradation of quality does not matter the least bit to anyone except the person partaking in it. As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Like i said, it's the same as people stealing cars. You won't steal a car and then say to the police "Oh but i didn't stole it, i shared it, everyone should be allowed to use that car". Right?

No, this is not the same at all. A better analogy to what is currently being called "piracy" would be if one person bought the car, and then put it on the street for anyone to use.

Face it - you've been brainwashed to believe the LIE that sharing = theft. There is a huge difference between walking into a store and lifting a cd....and purchasing the cd, and doing whatever the hell you please with your own property. Very, very simply put: If you create something, then sell it - it no longer belongs only to you.

You may forevermore take the credit for the original creation, the only way you have any say over what happens to your product is if you NEVER sell it; just rent or lease it in which case you may dictate the terms to which your property may be used.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
As a self proclamed hypocrite, I will say this probably is a good thing overall.

First off, its not piracy...lets be honest...pirates are sort of cool in the abstract sense, taking what they want, up fingering the authority, living outside the grid, etc etc etc.

This is more like internet petty thiefs...no eyepatch needed.

I may or may not have grabbed the odd torrent..but, lets take me as an example of the common "thief"

I have downloaded games I didn't plan on purchasing, however, every game I truely enjoyed I ended up paying for properly. My idea of enjoyment comes from replayability.
I never watch movies I want to get the "cinema experience" on...but I will watch movies that I never planned on even watching anyhow...especially those flaky B movies. Occasionally I have been interested in something suprisingly and watched the followup in high def.

I think that although clearly the big corps are losing money through privacy, it is overinflated...would the people who, lets say use photoshop, still use photoshop if they couldn't get it for free? typically the answer is no..they use it because its low hanging fruit on a tree...if suddenly it goes away, they won't pay the insane price for it..they will simply use a freeware photo editor which often does almost the same thing...however, if a person becomes really good at their stolen software at home, they may get a job doing just that, and purchase the software through the company...adding a sale that otherwise wouldn't have existed.

This is mostly about movies and music, I can understand that...there is little value in music being pirated overall..if a person likes a song, they will simply pirate the rest of the songs from the album. Movies are alot grayer (sorry, but your experience of Avatar wont be from some shaky camera snuck into a theater somewhere...your 8th experience of it may be simply for ambiance, but movies worth a crap will be seen in theaters and on dvd.

If the mpaa was smart, they would add to this...put out hundreds of really poor quality showings to disgust viewers into swearing off torrenting movies and simply going to the theater for stuff they want to watch. If you cant beat them, join them, then rot the inside.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

Yeah, How dare they want to get paid for their product.. What a load of crap!!!! A bunch of whiney mommas boys not able to afford their lifestyle!!!..

You had the same options as a sports athlete and a movie star... But because you arent making the money that they are... your jealousy is pathetic!

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by v3_exceed

I only used microsoft as an example.. But it is funny that you just justified stealing from microsoft by pointing out their misdeeds... Seems you know the difference between right and wrong.. but simply dont care.. Or your job path didnt work out as planned, and you cant afford 49.99 to buy something..

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mobius1974
reply to post by Solomons

A gaggle of keyboard gangstas... You only do it because you are anonymous... If your IP address was given out every time you stole your "product" ... All of you rightchous theives would figure out a way to go back to being anonymous... or you would stop stealing!!!

edit on 21-9-2010 by Mobius1974 because: (no reason given)

You really have no idea how these technologies work do you? The above statement regarding IPs shows zero understanding of what an IP is. An IP isn't a "fingerprint" tying you to an action or post. It is simply a location bound to a MAC address on a network card for the moment of its use. It can be changed, it can be "spoofed" it can be borrowed. Tying your action to your IP is akin to tying you to the air you took when you inhaled back in the 90's.

Your analogy of grandma's book is delightful indeed. Perhaps you have heard of Nico Mac computing? No? this was a company that built their product on the back of some others work only to have their product shared all over the internet. True..millions shared the software that Nico Mac built, but others bought it. They bought it only because they heard about it often through the software pirates. The success that Nico Mac computing enjoyed was directly tied to the amount of times their software was shared. Today you only know of the product as "Winzip", but now you know why you know about them.

The lack of real understanding in this thread is frightening.

..Ex

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Mobius1974

Yeah because anyone needs 8 billion dollars to survive, I'm sure. I could do what they do in an instant, it isn't brain surgery after all...and I wouldn't be a whiny wanty greedy DIVA like those losers. Yeah and I guess tax evasion is ok, well thank you for letting me know that from now on I won't pay taxes either, and I will falsify documents as much I can to keep every dime I earn, since that's totally alright to do, even when you make a billion dollar salary...good to know!!! I will be making that kind of money very soon too, since I will be in a field where there's the potential to. YAY ME!!! I will evade taxes too and ask for more and more money to sit on my a&& And make programs that either the consumer or government will use!!! Thanks for the heads up. Oh this doesn't mean I am greedy, I just want to live them same lifestyle as all those guys... Well now I know how to do it!
PS Your music sucks! Well, I really don't know if it does or not but let me know what the name of your band is, so I don't make the mistake of listening to it!!!! Thanks

edit on 21-9-2010 by ldyserenity because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-9-2010 by ldyserenity because: to add some things

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Really and this applies to static Ip's? hmm... Why pick apart the analogy and or method.. lets make it easy.. Lets say you had to sign on to DL "steal" material.. Is that better? Still the same outcome.. Spineless theives would stop...

And your winzip/mac analogy.. Mysequel/Linux/ Unix/-- great examples.. Except they are user based and intended to be shared and patches and fixes offered by users..

I highly doubt that Adobe needs or wants your input.. They simply made a product meant to be sold.. not shared and given away for free. Your argument is weak at best.

You mention lack of understanding.. Now that is irony!!!

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   
they will take down the domain? so what? people will just give the IP address

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   

LoL... did you jump up and down and throw things during that child like rant? So ... 2 wrongs make a right in your book?

So because a SMALL portion of people in the spot light are nailed for tax evasion... this makes stealing music from all artists ok?

Do you think that only stars/artists evade taxes? How about ... they are in the news and spot light.. so you hear about them.. You dont think the average joe cheats on his taxes?

8 billion? really .. show me an artist that has made that money... Do you know how little the bands actually get from their cd sales?

It is apparent that you know very little about very little..

That little kids temper tantrum was entertaining.. can I please read another one of those before lunch.. please?

Repeat after me "Sir would you like fries with that" ... preperation is key to success!!

It is humorous how far a thief will go to justify stealing... and rather pathetic.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
YOU GUYS FORGOT THAT WIKILEAKS COULD BE AFFECTED BY THIS TOO HAHAAHHA

its not about piracy at all .... this is all about wikileaks ...

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I'm not going to lie about it, I steal stuff all the time. I steal movies, music, games, TV shows. You name it, I steal it. It's just too easy online.

www.viciouspotato.net...

edit on 21-9-2010 by RMFX1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   

***Emphasis added***

I highly doubt that Adobe needs or wants your input.. They simply made a product meant to be sold.. not shared and given away....

This begs a very (I believe) pertinent question. What this whole thing really boils down to is this : Are we free, or are we not? Free men own property, slaves do not.

Are we really purchasing goods before we share them( or not ), or simply leasing them for a one-time fee?

If we are to have no say in the use of our own property, then can we really call ourselves free?

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Absolutely... why not?
second line

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Is there any real proof that 'internet piracy' is really hurting the showbiz world??

As another earlier poster pointed out, most of the downloaded films go on to make millions and millions.

Places like Amazon and Play do cheap as chips CD/DVD's

Even your local newsagent/supermarket flogs older CD/DVD's for a couple of quid a piece.

When Rock star's start jumpin off buildings because the can no longer afford to get high because some tight fisted so and so has downloaded there greatest hits instead of paying for it, then I will believe that 'internet piracy' is really a bad thing.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mobius1974

Really and this applies to static Ip's? hmm... Why pick apart the analogy and or method.. lets make it easy.. Lets say you had to sign on to DL "steal" material.. Is that better? Still the same outcome.. Spineless theives would stop...

And your winzip/mac analogy.. Mysequel/Linux/ Unix/-- great examples.. Except they are user based and intended to be shared and patches and fixes offered by users..

I highly doubt that Adobe needs or wants your input.. They simply made a product meant to be sold.. not shared and given away for free. Your argument is weak at best.

You mention lack of understanding.. Now that is irony!!!

The above applies to ALL IPs. Even the up and coming IPV6. As both static IP's and DHCP IP's are bound to MAC addresses, they follow exactly the same connection basics.

Winzip is a for sale product and fully qualifies as a viable example in this discussion. It is a windows app, has nothing to do with linux, or unix or MySql??? where did you see that?

I had no mention of Adobe nor MAC, but thanks for that. My mention of MAC is an acronym that stands for "Media Access Control" A hexadecimal code assigned to network cards. Again, thank you for fully illustrating my point. It's those people that have no understanding about what they are arguing for or against that seem to shout the loudest against a technology or process.

One of the merits for a debate, is to have an informed opinion. Not just a stance and a platform within which to argue. It's also a good idea to actually retort to the person you are replying to with counter points to their argument.

Now as you are so adept at pointing out "Thieves" can we agree that a person who has paid for a product or service cannot be referred to as a thief? If so then any Canadian who downloads music has already paid a media storage tax to offset the losses of downloading to the recording industry. This tax is applied to any media that can store recordable media. So really where is the loss?..where is the theft?

This is so similar to the witch hunts of the middle ages it's not even funny. If we don't understand how something works it must be evil and lets burn it. If it doesn't pass the impossible tests that would satisfy our biased opinions then it must be a witch. And again, all of the arguments posed is just dross to hide the real reasons that these technologies are being repressed.

..Ex

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by blood0fheroes

***Emphasis added***

I highly doubt that Adobe needs or wants your input.. They simply made a product meant to be sold.. not shared and given away....

This begs a very (I believe) pertinent question. What this whole thing really boils down to is this : Are we free, or are we not? Free men own property, slaves do not.

Are we really purchasing goods before we share them( or not ), or simply leasing them for a one-time fee?

If we are to have no say in the use of our own property, then can we really call ourselves free?

First of all, adobe acrobat is totally free, they have it online and it's through their own company not only that I had a short few paragraphs about adobe in my business class text book, and it is now 100 percent free, but that isn't the point here.

To Mobius: yes there are people who are free, those that make that salary are totally free. They can pay for those things to be owned outright and when they don't want to pay for the taxes, they lie and cheat and most don't even get prosecuted. So yes they do in fact live free, the rest of us, no we are slaves. And then they want us to buy their crap?

Well I say to heck with piracy, let it go down, idc everyone should stop paying their hard earned money on entertainment anyway, btw music is free 24/7 on the radio, I'll stick to streaming the local station, when I wanna hear a song I can just listen to it on the local radio station who allows you to listen to any song they ever played on their website free if I so choose, so eh, wtf really cares? AS far as movies are concerned when one comes out worth seeing I'll just pay red box 1 dollar to see it on DVD... so much cheaper than the extortion you pay at theaters.

So yeah freedom is a freaking pipedream for most of us, luckinly I have found my niche and be able to by my freedom soon too, by lawd, golly gee whiz, and It aint asking "you want fries with tha" no I am in computer programming and getting very high grades, and I can make a bucketload of money, and now I know that cheating and lying your way to freedom seems to be the only way, well, I be doing it too by lawd, AMEN!!!!

edit on 21-9-2010 by ldyserenity because: meant mobius . error

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
There will be another alternative found for .torrent files.

I personally use these sites if I want to try something and buy it later.

Not all games and software have trialware or similar downloads.

If I like it I buy it...otherwise I get rid of it.

Does this make me a criminal? I wont buy anything anyway if I can't afford it.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
You'd think that the companies would learn by now that you can't stop piracy online ever.
You stop one way of doing it someone will just come up with a different way.
Napster was the first.
someone will eventually invent a p2p that's totally encrypted. ip's are hashed in a way that's 256 bit encryption.
file table nodes with servers will be rotated among the users using the file sharing program.

and best of all if someone tries to break the programming they run afoul of dmca.

it's just a matter of time.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by RMFX1
I'm not going to lie about it, I steal stuff all the time. I steal movies, music, games, TV shows. You name it, I steal it. It's just too easy online.

www.viciouspotato.net...

And it's people like you who ruin it for everyone else. Why do you think there are never any "good" bands touring through your little town? Because you are stealing their proffits and they can't afford to. I love how people like you steal from the bands they love and wonder why the music industry get's a little worse every year. These musicians spend thousands of hours and their own money to write and record this music and you steal it from them without a care in the world.
Stealing is stealing no matter how you slice it and I hope they put weasels like yourself in prison.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Yes adobe has a 30 day free trial.. But that is not free.. I am starting to believe that your fingers just start typing things and your brain has absolutely no control over this information.

Look you sound like you agree, that it is stealing... You just have found a way to justify it... At least that is being honest.. I am not arguing whether you should do it or not.. I am just pointing out.. no matter how you look at it.. You are receiving a product for free, that a company intended to sell. PERIOD!

I read this and had to say something...

and now I know that cheating and lying your way to freedom seems to be the only way, well, I be doing it too by lawd, AMEN!!!!

Are you at all embarassed about what you type after you type it? Did you really read that last post of yours and decide to post it anyway?

Cheating and lying?? Hmmmm... So hard work doesn't matter any more? Really? Look kid... I am a single father 2 in diapers and a young man... I work harder getting ready for the day than you do in a whole week.. To hear some snot nosed kid say something like that makes me sick..

I worked 50 hours a week and was able to get my degree going to school at night and online.... I have worked very hard to get where I am...And through the good times and the bad.. I have still kept my pride.. there were times I would have loved a new version of dreamweaver... did I steal it? Nope.. saved until i could afford it.... When my sons ice fees for hockey started running 7k a year + equipment... maybe I should have snuck him on the ICE or stole his equipment?

Sometimes there are things in your life that you cant afford right at the moment... The answer is NOT to steal it.. then make up some bull$%^& excuse why it isn't stealing!! PERIOD!!

Its pathetic.. I hope that some of you theives get hit with a piracy charge that garnishes your wages for the rest of your petty lives.. Maybe then the gravity of your deeds will finally sink in.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join