It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The END of Online Piracy

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580
You'd think that the companies would learn by now that you can't stop piracy online ever.
You stop one way of doing it someone will just come up with a different way.
Napster was the first.
someone will eventually invent a p2p that's totally encrypted. ip's are hashed in a way that's 256 bit encryption.
file table nodes with servers will be rotated among the users using the file sharing program.

and best of all if someone tries to break the programming they run afoul of dmca.

it's just a matter of time.

So true, I am in programming and can attest to that. I mean for God's sake a kid from NJ learned how to unlock the iPhone. There's always a way, and I really don't see actors and musicians suffering not when they still are making albums reaching 132, 000, 000 sales and movies making somewhere like 1.3 billion sales for a fourth consecutive week... yeah they are suffering

Sources:

Billboard Article

Hmmm seems like I was a bit high balling it a bit, oh they lost about .5 million in sales, yeah in a recession, that's probably less than a hit then the rest of the country took, by a mile!

edit on 21-9-2010 by ldyserenity because: spelling(missed letters typing too fast)

edit on 21-9-2010 by ldyserenity because: changed billions to millions and low balling to high blling ... errrr

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Mobius1974

Your IP address is freely available to anyone in if you download a bittorrent file, how do you think they catch people doing it?, and there are plenty of torrent sites that make you sign in

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I work in the software industry and I cannot as a developer understand how people view any of this as theft? At least not anyone who has any experience or friends who are actors or musicians or stangehands, etc. The only people who are hurt by this are the people who would make money from nothing to line their already loaded pockets.

When I buy a CD or DVD, I am indeed buying a physical product -- a piece of round plastic that has pits burned into it. I am in reality paying for generation of the product as well as the fees payed by the distribution agent to the production firm, etc. Supply-chain economics.

What am I "stealing" when I download a copy of software/music/movie that was copied from a dvd? The distributor did not spend any money creating the DVD / CD. They are not being dinged for the fees for that copy. And if I hated the software/movie/music then once I discover this and delete the movie, what have I "stolen"? The price of a movie ticket or concert ticket? Maybe some ad revenue for an ad I won't watch when it is played on TV?

There is a HUGE differance between losing "potential sale" and someone browsing the merchandise. I find the average joe's version of piracy to be about on par with reading a magazine in a book store.

The software industry had it right when they developed shareware and trial versions. Do I break software locks and use full versions without paying? Yes, I do.. until I have determined that the product does indeed do the job I need it to do. Then I pay for it.

I do not endorse or support people who make a bazzilion copies of digital media and distribute it just because. I think that is irresponsible and unethical. However, the current business model that the various industries have adopted is just plain wrong. They need to cure the disease (bad business practices and models) rather than treating the symptoms (piracy).

And for the record, for all of the various approaches that have been tried for file sharing, we are only just beginning to scratch the surface. Online "Piracy" is not a force that can ever be stopped by brute force.

edit on 9-21-2010 by rogerstigers because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thill
reply to post by serbsta

Just because they pass some act in the US does not mean that a country like lets say China will allow them to enforce it on their servers
But hey , they can try if they want to

You'd be surprised.

US lawmakers set the precedents for international "free trade" agreements.

This one might be just a trial balloon, but I don't think so.

imho - It's a precedent for future "free trade" agreements, in support of Global Corporate Big Government run according to the principles of "free trade." ..No individual rights and freedoms accommodated or respected.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by serbsta

Hmmm..the US corporate elite, thinking they run the planet again.

Let them pass whatever contrived legislation they want to...they want to run the whole internet, fine, all that will happen is torrent sites will close down, and open five minutes later, under a different address and domain.

Complete websites, each a copy of the next will be stacked up waiting in line to be whacked onto a new, waiting server.

Let's see how the fascist MPAA likes that particular cat and mouse game.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity
I really don't see actors and musicians suffering not when they still are making albums reaching 132, 000, 000 sales and movies making somewhere like 1.3 billion sales for a fourth consecutive week... yeah they are suffering :@@

You have no idea what you're talking about. I'm in the music industry and only the top 5% of artists are making big money right now. The other 95% are suffering because of people like you who think since the sales are so good it's fine to illegal download. You are wrong, you are hurting all of the musicians you are stealing from.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by rogerstigers
I work in the software industry and I cannot as a developer understand how people view any of this as theft? At least not anyone who has any experience or friends who are actors or musicians or stangehands, etc. The only people who are hurt by this are the people who would make money from nothing to line their already loaded pockets.

What are you talking about??? The musician gets paid on every physical copy or legal download, every one. If you take it for free he doesn't get anything! You are wrong...

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
as an intellectual property owner ,i think this is a great idea. unfortunately the pirates will find some new way like they always have in stealing property and your dreams, just as the pirating government does

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soldier of God

What are you talking about??? The musician gets paid on every physical copy or legal download, every one. If you take it for free he doesn't get anything! You are wrong...

Real musicians are musicians because they love performing. If they want to earn a living playing music then they should go out and WORK! Maybe this is why musicians seem so disconnected from their audiences these days. They just slap crap onto a cd and call it good.

In summary, yeah, I do not believe in intellectual property. I work for a living.
I don't know about profiteers in the entertainment industry, but the many actors, musicians, and other performers I have worked with and befriended feel pretty much the same way. If you are not out there *performing* you are just selling out and deserve whatever you get.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Soldier of God

Well, my SO is a musician so I do know if you've cut a CD then you are making very good money anything else you spew is a load of crap, people buy the albums after sampling them through torrent sites'.

I wonder why only the christian musicians are out there giving free concerts? I have taken my son to a few. They are signed bands too, hmmmm maybe because they actually beleive in something you don't, that music is a gift to be shared not squandered, and the only other bands I see doing this as well, are the pagan bands.

Also my SO has done free concerts as well ( no he is not signed, nor does he wish to be because he's not a greedy snake). He would like to be, but it is not about the money with him, it's about sharing his love of music and his gift, at any rate the cookie cutter crap they have released is garbage anyway. When they do sign you they tell you what you are to write, sing, how you are to dress, etc etc... no creative freedom, so any signed bands integrity is lost anyway!!!!! (I know because a few years back they almost did get signed, my SO and his band members, but it also caused a lot of arguments, because they wanted them to "Change their style")

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Either people are very very ignorant.. Or they will go to all ends to justify their actions.. If you love the music and DL it for free... You are taking that sale away from the artist.. PERIOD!!!!

If you wouldn't have bought it anyway.. Then your just a theif.. PERIOD!!! ..

You work in software... that means nothing.. Now if you had released your own software and it was being raped over the net.. your view would be much different.. to say otherwise would be a blattent lie!

Here is the truth.. I hope and pray that all of you theives get a letter from your ISP... I hope you are drug into court.. and I hope your lives are absolutely destroyed because of your actions... Your all big and tough on here... but the feds start knocking on your door... I am willing to bet your gonna be getting mom to answer that knock on the door!

It is the only way that you theives will actually learn any lesson at all.

I wonder if you would take this same tone with the feds... I know I know .. your all so tough.. you would tell them "how it is".. absolutely hilarious!!!

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
The trouble is that the actual statistics show that record companies are making more and more money every years

Last year sales of singles soared to an all-time record of 152.7m units, an astonishing 33% rise in a year when the whole economy (GDP) contracted by 3.3%. I

In britain more singles were sold last year then any other year EVER since the recording industry started keeping stats.

If artists aren't getting paid then maybe they should be asking the record companies why they are making billions of pounds worth of profit and the musicians aren't

link

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Real musicians are musicians because they love performing. If they want to earn a living playing music then they should go out and WORK! Maybe this is why musicians seem so disconnected from their audiences these days. They just slap crap onto a cd and call it good.

In summary, yeah, I do not believe in intellectual property. I work for a living.
I don't know about profiteers in the entertainment industry, but the many actors, musicians, and other performers I have worked with and befriended feel pretty much the same way. If you are not out there *performing* you are just selling out and deserve whateer you get.

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. It is a lot of very hard work to write and record songs so people like you who feel they work so hard can listen to it while they releax. The musician doesn't make the lion's share of the money, the record label does so again you are not informed enough to speak on the subject.

link   

link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity
reply to post by Soldier of God

Well, my SO is a musician so I do know if you've cut a CD then you are making very good money anything else you spew is a load of crap, people buy the albums after sampling them through torrent sites'.

I wonder why only the christian musicians are out there giving free concerts? I have taken my son to a few. They are signed bands too, hmmmm maybe because they actually beleive in something you don't, that music is a gift to be shared not squandered, and the only other bands I see doing this as well, are the pagan bands.

Also my SO has done free concerts as well ( no he is not signed, nor does he wish to be because he's not a greedy snake). He would like to be, but it is not about the money with him, it's about sharing his love of music and his gift, at any rate the cookie cutter crap they have released is garbage anyway. When they do sign you they tell you what you are to write, sing, how you are to dress, etc etc... no creative freedom, so any signed bands integrity is lost anyway!!!!! (I know because a few years back they almost did get signed, my SO and his band members, but it also caused a lot of arguments, because they wanted them to "Change their style")

I would answer your post as well but you are so ignorant and misinformed it's not worth my time.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
Ok, so tell me this?

You have any idea the talent and the time it takes to WRITE A BOOK?

But you show me one town that doesn't have a USED Books Store where you can go in and buy one for a buck or a 'Book Swap' where you exhange books for FREE.
So, don't go on about 'piracy'.

You can re-sell and trade software also. You can also give away your copy. You just can't steal it or give away multiple copies. Just because you purchase a copy of a software, it doesn't give you the right to become a free distributor of unlimited copies.

If I can listen to 'Waka Waka' for free at Mc Donalds while buying myself a heartattck? I should be able to listen to it on my computer - minus the plaque and grease!

The radio station and/or McDonalds is licensed to play the song. Your computer is not, unless you purchase the rights to the song or get licensed to play it from your computer.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Mobius1974

Yup..just going to skip over the whole retort and ignore the facts you don't like.

This is exactly what is wrong with ATS these days.
Ignorant people with an axe to grind that simply haven't any sense.

..Ex

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by RestingInPieces

Resting- Silo is 100% on your side on this.. I think you misread her comments. We have had this discussion before..

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by v3_exceed

Please explain the facts that I have glossed over.. I am deffinetly open for new facts.. If it wasn't illegal and was morally just.. I would certainly like to recieve some software for free that I have been paying for.. Inform me where I am mistaken...

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by serbsta
Well I think this is pretty much it...

United States lawmakers have proposed new legislation today that would allow the Department of Justice to take over domain names of websites that promote copyright infringement. The proposed bill would allow for court orders against domestic as well as foreign sites, which could potentially shutter many torrent sites including The Pirate Bay.
torrentfreak.com...

It's called the Combating Online Infringement and Counterfeits Act and not surprisingly has the full support of the MPAA and RIAA. Earlier this year about 10 movie streaming sites were shut down, with the passing of this bill, all major torrent sites will go down in flames.

On the one hand I do think that online piracy is just that... piracy, stealing. But on the other hand, I place huge blame on the media authorities who refuse to adopt new techniques of doing business that would allow them to utilize these new technologies.

Don't expect you'll be able to just hop on the Pirate Bay and download the latest U2 album before going and out and buying by the end of next year.

Our government owns the internet....

Isn't it the WORLD wide web ?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join