It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here is why we should get rid of marriage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 05:13 AM
link   
People go into marriage because they are full of hormones etc and sex.

Then they wake up and think "What the hell did I do?"

Then they get divorced and the kids suffer.

We should be like animals - which we are - just don't get married.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 05:15 AM
link   
So by your logic:

1: Don't get married
2: have kids with many different females like an animal
3: ???
4: profit

and the kids will be ok?

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 05:16 AM
link   
HALF!

Thats why i isnt getting married

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 05:18 AM
link   
You forgot the word ..."some"... as in "some people go into marriage" because of hormones and sex.

How old are you? Have you ever been in love? Do you know what commitment is? Do you know what it is like to wake up everyday with your best friend in the world?

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Lysergic

Unfortunately, men will have kids by different women.

It is always the kids who suffer.

We are punishing our kids - then we expect them to excell - how can they when they have been damaged!

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 05:19 AM
link   
and women will have 10 different baby daddys, I fail to see your point, if you have one.

if not, lets all just be like animals and deal with it.

*does it for the children*

edit on 20-9-2010 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 05:20 AM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

I am glad you have a great relationship.

I am just saying what I have observed everywhere.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 05:23 AM
link   

My point, Lys, is that we are not dealing with it and children are suffering.

And we don't care about those kids.

So why don't we put the kids first for a change?

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Who is we?

You are married, have kids?

Or just blehing about nothing?

always an entertaining thread tho

*puts kids first*

edit on 20-9-2010 by Lysergic because: for the children, please think of the children.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 05:28 AM
link   
why so black or white? once i heard a proposal that made much more sense. lets make marriage like a 5 year contract, after reconsidering your contract and maybe changing some terms you both can decide if you want to suffer or enjoy another period. without all the troubles (social, financial, administrative and kids) that come with a divorce nowadays.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Hey, catwhoknows.... not trying to bring ya down. I get cynical, too. When i do... I go out and try to experience life from another side or viewpoint.

There is an awful lot of tragic relationships out there, but truth be told, there always has been...BUT, there are some really wonderful relationships out there too.

I don't know who you are, where you live, or what your life experience is so far...not mine to know. But i hope you haven't experienced divorce from the child's eye viewpoint.

I love to watch people, while I am waiting for my wife to finish some shoppong or while she is talking to a friend we ran into, i patiently wait and watch others...fascinating stuff. It always does my heart good to see to old folks...walking, hand in hand, maybe her head leaning on his shoulder like teenagers pushing 70.

If you are young...you have a wonderful life in front of you. Just be aware at this point, your perspective is a little askew.... there are good times ahead.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 05:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Dumbass

Here is a new idea - don't get married, just live together.

Makes it much easier when you break up.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by catwhoknows

Why?

Being a Christian myself, I understand the importance of marriage, and putting others first, because I have an absolute standard to live by. Since this post gives off the foul odor of secular humanism, my question is why are kids important if we all are just evolved pond scum? In that case putting kids first is just your opinion, neither right nor wrong, so you can stop forcing your beliefs on others

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Reply to post by catwhoknows

or realize an idea of the early communism, a building for men, a building for women and a building where all kids are raised. no possession, no other differences then natural ones.

i get your view on the pointless marriages nowadays. but people should still be able to express their love administrative and socially & culturally accepted. but a reasonable "try me" period would be nice.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by kingofmd

I am a Christian - that is why I am worried about children and that is why I see that children are damaged by a lot of relationships.

So, I repeat, forget marriage and just love and nurture your kids. Or, obviously, if you are in a good marriage - you are among the few lucky ones.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by catwhoknows

Conversely we can just totally take kids out of the equation. We could keep marriage but not allow any more offspring. Of course humanity will end rather abruptly but there won't be any more issues with children.

There's probably a better way than that though...

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   
When two people love each other more than words can describe, and feel like they spend everyday with their best friend and soul mate - of whom nobody in the world can replace, and they have this mindset for a very very long time - then yes, marriage is a very good way to go about going to the "next step"/"last step" - Its the final step, the pinnacle of 2 people loving each other is getting married.

Marriage is a wonderful thing, a wonderful day and in allot of cases it brings the family of the 2 people closer together. It unites people/family's. There is absolutely nothing wrong with marriage its self - its just the small amount(Well, pretty large amount) of people getting marrid with preconceptions of the marriage giving them a better relationship,better life style and what not, or soley because they have a child and they feel its right - but when these preconceptions fade away and reality sets in, that nothing has change other than her/his last name and both have a ring - thats when dissapointment comes - high expectations lead to very big disapointments, and even turn into hate.

I my self would never get married. im 23 and been with my girlfriend for 6 years, child on the way and everything is going brilliant. We argue but if we didnt, well sh!t that would just be weird. I laugh and joke with my friends about how long Iv been with her, saying i could of killed 2 guys, got manslaughter and been out in less amount of time than iv been with my girlfriend (a sentance)

Plus the fact that people change, people change every single day without them knowing. Love can come and go and its happend to me a few times, but managed to pull through because i love her, love her more than i love peanut butter (and thats saying something) - When people change and a ring is on thier fingers, well thats another story. Divorce, re-married blah blah blah. Monie Monie Monieeh! Plus the fact she/he gets HALF!

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   
My Parents have been married for 35 years and are one of the best advertisements for marriage. They are best friends and talk constantly (mainly a load of rubbish) , but they get on so well. They play golf together 3 times a week and are a picture of health, which is more than can be said for their 2 sons.

new topics

top topics

join