It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Photograph of Indonesian undead? The walking corpse of Toraja.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Didn't get to read through all the pages, so excuse me if this was already pointed out. Looks to me that she has something contagious. Notice that the man and woman supporting her are both using a rag or something to touch her with. One on the arm, the other behind the back. Seems like they didn't want to touch her for some reason. I would say that reason is because she is dead, but that wouldn't make any sense considering the lenghts they go to "wake the dead". Just pointing it out

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I'm thinking maybe leprosy or maybe it's a funeral rite, were the deceased are washed and dressed?

Curious.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Also, look at her foot at the bottom of the pic. Her entire body is this weird grayish color, but the top of her foot looks normal in color. Maybe spreading? Or an overlook in the editing/makeup

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
This ritual in is hard to find these days. It might hard to understand but this ritual or tradition was not only known in toraja. This ritual is not a funeral, but to bring back dead person to her home to get change all the chlotes and will send back again to her funeral.

Her tomb not under the ground but high on the cliff with hole or small cave to put the coffin and dead body. The reason why this is so hard to find these days, cuz this is a ritual for people with high status in society and rich too. This ritual will need lots of money. And the later generation start left this culture that come from old tradition, they start to wish to have common funeral. Another reason is too hard to find someone who can resurrect dead body, even if can find someone who can do this, they might not willing to do it, might cuz of commercial reason.
When a person resurrect a body like this, he must keep near to her and dont talk , no one allowed to call his name or the body will drop down.

Another ritual from this place is water buffalo fighting. People will gamble alot. There are another buffalo fighting , but the different, the buffalo ve been cut the neck, almost off. Logicaly it must be already dead but using two people who can resurrect the body, both buffalo can stand and fight until one of the guy cant resurrect it anymore.
This is the commercial reason i said before cuz this involved lots of money.

Peace

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
nice photoshop skills, but you forgot one important feature. Where is the womans foot, and for that, her the leg to support her LIVING self behind the "corpse" ? and im done

edit on 25-2-2012 by Llowbear because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Looks photoshopped to me. The corpse, pose, angle, shadow, just doesn't fit into the context of the photograph. There is no question that it is a corpse. A good shop.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 01:42 AM
link   
I don't know if this helps or if it's already been posted but I pulled the Exif Info and it says it was made with picasa

Standard Information
Software: Picasa
ImageSize: 240x320

GPS Information

Other Information
BitsPerSample: 8
ColorComponents: 3
Directory: C:\Users\hallley\Desktop
EncodingProcess: Baseline DCT, Huffman coding
ExifByteOrder: Little-endian (Intel, II)
ExifImageHeight: 320
ExifImageWidth: 240
ExifVersion: 0220
FileModifyDate: 2012:06:02 02:35:57-04:00

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Being half indonesian myself, I can say black magic is rife throughout indonesia.. I'd # my pants if I saw with my own westernized eyes, the crazy happenings in that country.
A very spiritual part of the world which very little is known about..

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by One Step Beyond...

Since all I have to go on is a photo, from who knows where of who knows what, and a story of something extraordinary I am going to need some extraordinary proof.

I am not saying this isn't possible, and I very much hope it is, but unless I am able to witness this ritual I can't really put much faith into it.

edit on 24-2-2014 by viralglitch because: Corrections made to spelling.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 02:01 AM
link   
It's late and I did not read through all the pages but the first. Here is where I have seen this picture before. All they are doing is changing the clothes of the dead... www.africanspotlight.com...

www.africanspotlight.com...

Sorry if I did not do this right...I rarely post for fear of messing it all up, lol!

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   
The person is dead, and has probably been dug up to be moved. It is common in lots of 2nd/3rd world countries for bodies to be dug up sometime after burial to be moved/cremated. In many places, families can't afford to continue paying for the burial lot [which are high in demand] so the local authorities dig up the corpse and leave it on the ground, or leaning against a wall nearby. In certain places the temperature, humidity and soil cause almost all buried corpses to essentially mummify.
edit on 26-2-2014 by LeviWardrobe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by One Step Beyond...

They stood up the corpse, it's not walking.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   
well it was really entertaining reading as westerners tried to figure this out. This is part of the burial ritual of the Toraja. They have a feast once a year. Sometimes if they are poor can be several years later it takes alot of money for the funeral. They dig up the corpse redress them. They are then taken to a ceremony so they can attend what is known as a death feast. It used to be done at different times now they just make it yearly and families bring their dead to participate. Slightly cheaper as well though the big expense is still the sacrifices.I saw this on a documentary once and that was one of the people involved thus the picture.

amazingnotes.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join