It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Clark County deputy's toddler dies after accidental shooting

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 02:32 AM
link   
As tragic an event this is, I await the update on charges against the deputy.

It is sad when anyone, let alone a deputy, does not safely store their weapons under lock and key or with trigger locks, or what is required by law, excluding the concealed weapon we should all be carrying.

Should he, or should he not be punished for leaving a gun available to a toddler? Is his son's death punishment enough?

I don't think so.
This is blatant stupidity and a poor example of what should be, due to the nature of his job, held with expectations of a higher standard.
Total devistation and fail.

I hope everyone learns from this and that everyone, even you LEO's take the responsibility of upholding the law, especially with firearms.

Those against the 2nd Amendment will be up in arms and could use this as another weapon in their arsenol of tragic gun accidents to prey upon the masses by disarmament.

Don't let the stupidity of this deputy be a stepping stone for more fire arms restrictions, but hold him accountable, no matter his and his family's sorrowful loss.

Learn from this, Guns are not the problem. It is the few (outside the lawless) gun owners that do idiotic things like this that MSM tries to use as a stereotype in their campagn of "all guns are bad".

My prayers go out to this family and those personally impacted by this accident, and I am dumbfounded that this even happened subsequent to a deputy leaving a gun not safely stored for his son to access. What did he think would happen?
Source

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Manslaughter charges as a minimum, but he'll walk free of course.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 03:25 AM
link   
bump man slaughter charge, 3 years most then again truck drivers have been given 6 months for man slaughter charges on remand prior sentence in Australia.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by imd12c4funn
Should he, or should he not be punished for leaving a gun available to a toddler? Is his son's death punishment enough?

i think he should have an easier job description for awhile. i don't believe he should be out on streets as a law enforcement officer, perhaps a desk job until he is better fit for duty following such a loss. As for punishment, i simply don't know enough details about the incident from that article or reporter. so i can not pass judgment.

i believe guns should be safely stored while in the home.

i believe in two easy safety tips for firearms:

1) Never aim a gun at anything you are not prepared to shoot.
2) Never load a gun unless you are prepared to aim it at something.

children should not have access to guns.

these are my thoughts on this,
et

edit to add:
When i was 3 i remember climbing up onto counters and getting into high cubbards and even onto the top of the refrigerator once. So, was this gun kept in a place where he assumed his child could not get to it? i simply do not have enough info to say he should be arrested or charged with a crime.

what are the number of laws that exist, anyways?

edit on 16-9-2010 by Esoteric Teacher because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Esoteric Teacher
When i was 3 i remember climbing up onto counters and getting into high cubbards and even onto the top of the refrigerator once. So, was this gun kept in a place where he assumed his child could not get to it? i simply do not have enough info to say he should be arrested or charged with a crime.

And that's why guns and ammunition should be stored in separate, locked containers.

“The Sheriff's Office is no stranger to tragedy, and took significant steps to ensure that appropriate firearms storage policies and procedures are in place following the very tragic death of Emily Randall in 2003,” Rothenberger said.

As part of that policy, the sheriff issued lock boxes to all deputies and asked that they safely secure their service weapons inside them while off-duty. That policy also recommended, but did not require that deputies lock up their personal weapons as well.

www.king5.com...

Some people never learn.

edit on 16/9/10 by Kailassa because: adding second line

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Really doesn't make sense that a trained professional would allow something like this to occur. I suspect there's something more to the story - at the very least substance abuse or some sort of domestic abuse situation being covered up.

Of course I'm not a big fan of cops who's guns are fired because it seems more often than not the people at the other end didn't really deserve to die.

However if it is as being reported and the gun owner has any conscious I don't see any purpose to prosecution as he will surely sentence himself to a life of guilt every day for as long as he lives, perhaps deservedly so.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by verylowfrequency
Really doesn't make sense that a trained professional would allow something like this to occur. I suspect there's something more to the story - at the very least substance abuse or some sort of domestic abuse situation being covered up.

You are not the only one with that fear.
After all, there's no mention of the mother, and the kid can't tell his side of the story.

But a toddler could look down the barrel to see inside and pull the trigger.
IMO leaving a loaded weapon in reach of a child is morally equivalent to attempted murder anyway.

And, as I mentioned above, this sheriff had been well and truly warned.

new topics

top topics

join