It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Wii bit of help please

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Hi folks,

First things first ... I ma not a 'gamer' nor do I plan to become one. My time wasting schedule is already full of internets, television, and prolific napping and I have no plans to add an additional procrastination device. The last video game I played was miss pacman and it will stay that way.

However ...

It is time to engage in this thing called 'exercise' and I have heard that the Nintendo Wii is rather good for that. But I know nothing of game consoles, bundles, accessories, software, hardware, etc, so I am in need of advice and council.

Let us not factor money into it for the moment, I want to basically get the best Wii Fit/Wii Fit Plus exercise software/hardware/accessory bundle whist avoiding game software and accessories like steering wheels and the like.

I would greatly appreciate any thoughts on the matter, both in regards to thoughts and reviews from those who have used the Wii Fit and as to which is the right 'bundle' for my limited requirements.

Thanks.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Forget buying a wii

Just go for a run

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Wii player here.

The Wii Fit is very cool. Lots of excerises and stretches to do, plus some fun games to play which will help keep you fit.

There are a lot of other excercise and fitness "games" that you can get, from $20-50 each.

You can get the basic Wii console, Wii Fit board and maybe an extra controller / nunchuck and thats really all you'll need to get started.

My wife uses the Wii Fit more than I do, there's a great Step Arobics thing that she does, oh and a boxing game, she wears herself out trying to beat that one, it's funny.

Good Luck.

edit on 15-9-2010 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Just get the cheapest package you can.

For sure get Wii fit plus, review here www.telegraph.co.uk...

It's better, as are the Motion plus controllers compared to the regular controllers.
Wii fit is great and there is also

EA Personal trainer.

www.amazon.co.uk...

The Wii fit board itself is great and the Wii fit software is actually very accurate in measuring weight, balance, BMI etc.... It's a good bit of kit for not a lot of money really.

Most Wii's come with Wii sports which includes add-ons (Things you clip your controller into) such as a tennis racquet, Golf club and other bits and bobs.

My nephews have this console and all extras like Wii fit, Wii sports and Wii sports resort.... It is certainly a great way to start to get back into exercise and is very low impact.

Although Wii fit and EA's personal trainer are also suited to the serious keep-fit-fanatic too.... The varying levels of intensity and difficulty mean that there is a game, setting and challenge for everyone.

Just go get one man.... you wont be disappointed.

edit on 15/9/10 by blupblup because: Added more stuff

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

I wish I could go for a run ... I blew my L5 disc about 7 years ago and jogging is just about the worse thing for it. A year ago I weighed 267 pounds and today I am down to 181 only with dieting and no exercise. Having just turned 43 I want to get fit and plan to quit smoking in the very near future and I just need something to help me with the exercise part that isn't too hard on the back ... I understand that the Wii fit has lots of such programs including yoga and low impact stuff.

reply to post by elevatedone and blupblup

Thanks guys ... so if I understand correctly, I just buy the basic Wii with the Fit Plus bundle?
And I should get the Sports bundle because some games like tennis are good exercise?
And then there is additional exercise software to purchase like the EA one?
Do I need any additional accessories or does it all come with the Wii Fit plus bundle?

ETA: My apologies if all this seems basic, I am so darn ignorant when it come to this stuff.

edit on 15 Sep 2010 by schrodingers dog because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Damn, that wouldve hurt

I actually weigh more than you do too, mainly because I stuffed my shoulder and missed the entire football season (aussie rules) this year. Put on almost 15kg's. I guess that what happens when you continue eating the same amount of food as you would be, when you are playing a high impact contact sport.

Luckily I can still run and lift weights

Good luck

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
Thanks guys ... so if I understand correctly, I just buy the basic Wii with the Fit Plus bundle?

Yeah.... most Wii packages come with at least one controller and some accessories.
The Wii fit or Wii fil plus is an additional bit of kit that allows you to use the board for exercises like runing, balance games and also keeps track of progress and weight loss etc.

Many packages bundle the console and Wii fit together and to be honest, It's probably better to get a bundle as you get more for your money, as opposed to buying it all separately.

And I should get the Sports bundle because some games like tennis are good exercise?

Most Wii packages include Wii sports and yes, It's very good fun and great exercise.
The variety of games and accessories make this a very worthwhile addition.

And then there is additional exercise software to purchase like the EA one?

Yes the EA one is very highly regarded and pretty good value too... Also there is a range called "My Fitness Coach" which are also very good.

MY FITNESS COACH

They are all very similar I guess but people prefer different programs for different things.

Wii fit is a must.... the other are as and when you want really and are more fitness/exercise based than Wii fit.

They are essentially a virtual personal trainer.... and for the price, they are well worth considering.

Do I need any additional accessories or does it all come with the Wii Fit plus bundle?

Nope... everything you need comes with your Wii bundle and everything needed for Wii fit is provided with the game and board when you purchase.
As I said, your best bet is to get a bundle which includes Wii-fit and the console.

This seems like a good deal I guess (not sure of exchange rates)

Deal 1

Deal 2

Deal 3

Obviously you'll have to google deals relevant to your geographical location, but these (apart from deal 1) are just to give you an idea.

Hope this helps.

edit on 15/9/10 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Thanks bb, that's exactly what I'll do ... I am grateful for your help.

ETA: How does this look?

edit on 15 Sep 2010 by schrodingers dog because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   

No worries man, you're most welcome.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
looks good for me

tangerteen got one of the first wii.s ever

and since then we are both a huge fan

wii sports is fantastic gues we got a new wii sports too - wii sports resort

i am a huge fan of the first basic version wii sports
nothing in adition
love to play bowling with it
gives me a lot of relaxations

and schrodinger congrats on the great weight loss
you are awesome

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
ETA: How does this look?

Apart from expensive, looks like a great bundle man.
Got everything plus more.

It says it's £335!! Damn...

But money matters aside.... yeah man, Go for it.

You wont need much more and you'll be as fit as a butchers dog by Christmas

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup

It says it's £335!! Damn...

It's in dolla dolla billz yo!

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Is it $335 dollars then?

It said pounds... because overstock always convert for you.

If that bundle is $335..... then dude.... buy 2

edit on 15/9/10 by blupblup because: Because I can't spell

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Ok so I ended up buying this one because it is black and included the HD cable.

Thanks everyone ... I might be back for some setup and general lack of understanding help.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Hey Sdog.. I have all the Wii fit stuff there is and unless you have the motivation to use it you'll find in a month (or even a few weeks) that it's gathering dust as you play Mario Kart!

I had to move my Wii into the garage that I converted into a gym JUST SO I would use it exclusively for fitness... stay motivated man, Wii Fit Plus boxing is a good little 10min workout when you just want to do something but don't have much time.

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Late to the show, as usual.

M'Bride acquired the Wii fit Plus/balance board, and it was fun. I was surprised how much of a workout it was, especially the games. She has had arthritis in several joints since her late 20's, and along with swimming, we thought this would be a good low-impact activity. It was.

We just sorta wandered away from using it, as the new wore off. SO. What I did......... one fine morning I plugged the thing in and made a very easy but well-rounded "program", which started with stretching, then yoga, then on to some of the easier aerobic games.

Incidentally, be careful of the hip-bump and hula-hoop games, at least initially. We both got carried away with both of them, and were both temporarily damaged. I think what we did wrong was to not spend enough time on the easier things, and went right to the harder ones. Made it seem like a chore to use it.

So, we committed to starting the day at least three times a week with this activity. FINally, it got to be a routine, and with the feedback from the Wii weigh-in and such, we both started adding some more activities and now it's actually starting to produce some measurable benefit. The yoga/balance/stretching stuff is nothing that you couldn't do without the Wii, but the feedback gives you an interactive measurement of progress and training that would be difficult without it.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Hey SD

I hope you'll take my experiences into consideration....

my wife & I bought the wii fit, thinking "hey, we're not in High School anymore...time to shed off some of these extra pounds!!"

Since both of our jobs require a whole lot of sitting!!! (lol)

Well, long story short, to us, anyways, it turned out to be quite the gimmic......think "Ab Sonic" or any other Ab electronic gimmick belt that promised to deliver rock hard abs from the comfort of your nearest lazy-boy recliner

It was fun because it was somethign we could do together, but in the end, we bought running shoes and started jogging.

If you're gonna spend bookoo bucks on Wii Fit...save your money & buy a treadmill....I promise you that you won't regret it.

top topics

join