It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Restroom spies say we're washing hands more often

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 11:57 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

WHAT?? RESTROOM SPIES?. THAT IS TOTALLY CREEPY.

BOSTON – Swine flu may have scared us straight, or maybe we're finally listening to our mothers. Whatever the reason, Americans are washing their hands more often, suggests the latest check by researchers who spy on people using public restrooms.
One thing hasn't changed: Men are still dirtier. About 23 percent of men failed to wash versus 7 percent of women.

"Those little 20 seconds with friction, water and soap" are one of the best things people can do to keep from getting sick, said microbiologist Judy Daly of Primary Children's Medical Center in Salt Lake City.

She led the project for the American Society for Microbiology and the American Cleaning Institute, formerly known as the Soap and Detergent Association. Results were given Monday at the microbiology group's conference in Boston.

I had no idea...."what do you do for a living?" "I spy on people in public restrooms."

I mean, I guess its really good we are all washing our hands more, but I would like to have a say in my participation in a study.. but I guess that is just not how things work.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by toolstarr

Ladies often go into a cubicle to pull up their stockings or untwist a bra strap.I wonder if that accounts for 6 of that 7%....

People have called me rude because I avoid shaking hands.
I simply tell them there is a 1/3 - 1/5 chance I'm shaking an unwashed toilet hand.
You can tell who they, when you say that they turn red.

It's far more rude to expect someone to shake your crusty palm then to avoid a shake.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 01:14 AM
link   

You could've had a say but I guess they didn't call you.

Researchers also did phone surveys of more than 1,000 adults around the country in August. The results suggest that people are kidding themselves or fibbing about their true habits — 96 percent said they always wash after using a public restroom.

I read this earlier and was thinking similar thoughts. They were really only people observing their surroundings in an uncontrolled environment. Your participation was granted by you simply by using a public restroom. You could do your own study if it makes you feel any better, I know I make a mental note of such people. I thought the diaper statistics were a bit disturbing.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I heard reports that the cleanest parts of our bodies are the privates.
So we should wash before the bathroom experience.

That would be quite the shakeup in the restroom.
Just say your home land does it that way before being accused
of being an alien from outer space.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I do not know about spies in the restroom but I can tell you the people I have seen leave the restroom at work without washing. I have always washed my hands but after I had first responder (medical) training many years ago, I started washing them all the time. Now my wife says I am compulsive about washing them almost to the point of being OCD. This might be a contributing factor in my not liking people touching me as well. I do not know where their hands have been.

Back to those at work though, I do not eat anything when they have “work meals” because I do not know what people are like at home. I am not eating somebody else’s “nasties”. I notice them leaving the restroom without washing by myself being in there when they leave after touching their junk. The worst ones are those who walk out after going poo without washing. I do eat out from time to time and I have to try very hard not to think about it then. The “swine flu” was nothing more than an overreaction and a scare tactic.

Raist

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by mumma in pyjamas

I just use hand sanitizer after I shake someone's hand.

And I'm not among those 23%. I wash my hands often, even if I'm only taking a piss.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I wash my hands often but what gets me about this is that some derailed stastic taker has the nerve to hire bathroom spies. I wonder what else they are watching besides people washing their paws!

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

They probably hire guys to stand at urinals and spy on other guys.

Or perhaps they watch people wash through the cracks in a bathroom stall?

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

Good idea sword.
I'll put some in a hand lotion bottle so people think I'm moisturising.
I have become quite the ace at avoidance.
When I had to deal with corporate reps I used to come into the meeting area making sure both hands were full of papers and such and give an apologetic nod and charming smile when the handshakes were being exchanged.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

Ha Ha, lets just hope toilet spies don't release stats on.....
average penis size.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   

The statistics are appalling back at my last job. At least 50% never washed their hands. 33% barely wiped their butts after #2. It was gross knowing there were so many coworkers who were "dirty". I made it a point not to shake anyone's hands.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
i don't ever wash my hands after i go to the bathroom. i don't even take a shower every day, probably not even every other day. that is the joy of shaving your hair, no matter how little you bathe you never look dirty. i would also like to add that i never get sick, even with my disgusting hygiene.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by 2weird2live2rare2die

Pleased to meet you,
lets not shake hands.

At least you are honest, but please never work in the food industry.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   

I'm with you...

I always grew up thinking a little dirt and grime helped out your immune system.

Why don't I always wash my hands? Well first off I have mastered using the restroom, so I don't get any urine on them. I guess I'm good like that.

Now after number two, I wash. It seems like I could get some of my business without knowing.
Although, I did hear on "Sold Out with Kevin Smith" that if you cut your hand and spit in it, you would get more bacteria than if you cut your hand and rubbed poo in it.And that's coming from his butt doctor.

I've seen dogs eat their poo regularly and nothing bad happen to them.

As for showering...that's over rated. If I didn't sweat a bunch, every other day is usually fine. And the ladies love a good manly musk.

Don't get me wrong though, I make it a point to wash my hands about three times a day, but that's because I pet my cat and work with pencils all day, so they get a noticeable filth about them.

Compulsive washing when you have no reason though seems silly.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by iamsupermanv2

Why don't I always wash my hands? Well first off I have mastered using the restroom, so I don't get any urine on them. I guess I'm good like that.

My two young boys feel the same way you do. When ever we are in a public restroom, I insist they wash their hand and they say " mom, I didn't touch anything!"

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Explain to them that while they might not have touched something others might have. When you exit the restroom you touch the same surfaces others do. Unless you wash your hands and use a towel or the bottom of your shirt to exit (I recommend this regardless by the way).

Same goes with any surface in public or in the workplace. You never know what the person who touched it before you touched. There are many people out there who do not wash after they poop.

Raist

new topics

top topics

join