It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BP Spill Oil 'Not Gone, It's Where Nobody Has Looked' Dead Zone At The Bottom Of The Gulf!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 04:20 AM
link   
the gulf stream was already waining, god help us with what all this oil has done, it has shut down the complex thermohaline system that was already weak

Mod Edit: Please see Terms And Conditions Of Use 4) Advertising. Thank you - Jak

edit on 19/9/10 by JAK because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by ukweathergeek

the gulf stream was already waining, god help us with what all this oil has done, it has shut down the complex thermohaline system that was already weak

situation about GS is no so clear. to change GS conditions needs really more powerful influence than gusher.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by justadoodExcept that the US Government isn't a 'corporation'.

Irrelevant, really, though I prefer the use of this vernacular ('corporate takeover') over that of any number of derogatory euphemisms that the British monarchy could employ, relatively speaking.

Originally posted by justadoodAlso, while I agree with the sentiment, the reality is such an action would have an extremely negative effect on the economy of the Gulf region, as it relies HEAVILY on the offshore oil industry to keep it alive.

And ALL of America, Mexico, Panama, South America, etc., relies "heavily" on the Gulf regions' seafood industry to feed the population at large so that those very same employees you allude to in passing, as well as their and our families, can eat to maintain the strength they need to work, not to mention live.

Do not misunderstand me as it is not my intent to detract from the economic benefit derived from the Gulf regions' petroleum industry, but we MUST weigh the pros against the cons in order to extrapolate a viable rationality out of the industry generated propaganda, afterall, it is a benefit to no one if everyone is hungry because petroleum-sauteed seafood is not palatable fair.

Plus, I am not talking about shutting down the Gulf coast refineries entirely, just refitting them for the purpose of natural gas extraction, refinement and storage, from our land-based supply stores as we are cutting off our noses to spite our faces by drilling for oil offshore, obviously.

Originally posted by justadoodDon't get me wrong. I'd LOVE to see the long-terms steps made to our economy where entire regions dont have to be dependent on destructive industries like oil extraction. I'm just saying that the action you are referring to would have an economic and political cost that you don't seem to be calculating. IF the US were to essentially commandeer BP, you would see major shockwaves through not only the Gulf economy, but the entire country. Other companies would pull out. jobs would disappear. People would be VERY angry at whoever decided to go and Nationalize BP.

I beg to differ, afterall, is not the media full to over brimming with endless rants AGAINST our reliance on foreign oil, let alone our dependence on oil itself? Is not the general consensus of the public at large that we NEED to move away from such dependence? And, are there not already any number of alternative fuel producers and alternative powered automotive manufacturers sitting, poised to take up the mantle of not only powering our Nation, but also seeing to the needs of our commuting masses?

Originally posted by justadoodThere is no doubt in my mind this is a national emergency. But I fail to see how that makes your suggestion become a feasible one.

I consider it "feasible" for the reasons noted above, those and a great many more that I care not to enunciate now.

Originally posted by justadoodDon't get me wrong, I sympathize with the sentiment. But to actually think out the practical steps involved shows that such an action could never be successful.

Actually, yes, it would be VERY successful, both from a business and political perspective...Think about it.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by justadoodThe crude is not able to be processed once mixed with corexitt, i believe.

Honestly, I had thought that they could, though whether they can or cannot is irrelevant at this point as the onus is upon them to remove it from our coastal sea floor in order to prevent it from subverting our seafood supplies and polluting the various ecologies of our Gulf shore lines.

Originally posted by justadoodyou are really reaching there. the oil was sunk in an attempt to destroy/hide evidence. IF they wanted to harvest it, they could have left it on the surface and harvested in with an army of skimmers.

Again, I am not actually speaking to their harvesting it for use, per se, so much as I am speaking to the necessity of their removing it from our shores, waterways, and sea floor as a means of alleviating all of the harm they have caused us to suffer as a direct result of their neglect, ignorance and greed.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by SarK0Y

situation about GS is no so clear. to change GS conditions needs really more powerful influence than gusher.

I do not believe that they intended to imply by their post that the oil leak would, alone, serve to shut down the oceanic conveyor system, only serve to further contribute to it's dissolution in addition to any number of other means of pollution we've inflicted upon the waterways of the World through our ill-conceived industrial efforts.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by just an allusion

I do not believe that they intended to imply by their post that the oil leak would, alone, serve to shut down the oceanic conveyor system, only serve to further contribute to it's dissolution in addition to any number of other means of pollution we've inflicted upon the waterways of the World through our ill-conceived industrial efforts.

actually, numerous folks have made that claim.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by justadood

Originally posted by just an allusion

actually, numerous folks have made that claim.

If such is indeed the case, then I find their contention without merit as the oil released into the Gulf would, if anything, increase the Gulf basins' viscosity, thereby contributing to the overall naturally occurring thermohaline circulatory system typically attributed to the oceans' saline content in the Gulf area, due to the inherent properties of petroleum &/or it's lubricity.

Thing is, the Gulf's thermohaline circulatory system waxes and wanes cyclically depending on the seasons &/or the external environmental influences, e.g., the Suns' solar flaring or the Moons' lunar cycles, or pollution and so, is in continuous flux, relatively speaking.

Further, as we've discussed earlier in the thread, BP employed the use of a chemical coagulant that effectively served to bind all of the oil particles to one another which, in turn, had the resultant effect of causing them to lose their inherent buoyancy and sink, en masse, to the Gulfs' sea floor where it now sits in globulous pools waiting to be extracted.

Apologies, but in my honest opinion, I'm just not seeing any real need for concern in this regard.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join