It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Neo-Con Social Engineering: Enter The Hipster

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Greetings all;

In the 1970's the Neo-Cons began their rise to power. At the time both sides of the aisle were social liberals and progressives. The Dems and Repubs only differed on economic ideas. Then came the political tie ins to religion and retcon approaches. The world became an alien threat and anyone not with the Neo-Cons became an enemy. Essentially McCarthyism cloaked under a more general approach and blessed by God. They scored with the religious right big time with pandering. Next comes to coup de gras with killing the opposition via propaganda.

Tactics have included limitless recons and appeals to emotional acts. Alienation of education and academia in general. Romanticizing of the American Dream to hysterical levels then retcons on what the Dream actually is. The media onslaught continues with subterfuges: Terms like “Liberal controlled media” to deflect..

Fact is: news outlets are controlled by the wealthy, it is rare for a wealthy person or corporation would be liberal. They are in it for the money and most of those money driven are on the right side of the aisle.

Enter: Fox News and the current associative term to brand and demonize: The Hipster.

The term comes from the 1940s through the 1970s. During that time is was a term to describe the Jazz house poet with a black berret and bad poetry. It has been a mocking term to describe a harmless and ineffectual group of hippie.. More or less.

As the calendar ticks by closer to election there have been more and more articles and news reports citing “Hipsters” as a source to be mocked, and a source of danger. Even on the ultra left side web-site Reddit.com 'hipsters' are openly mocked.

Fox News: Bin Ladin is a Hipster.

A little digging into the definition of what a Hipster is shows a few things such as
Hipster Song

This identifies a hipster as everyone who wear hoodies, smoke, drink coffee, wear leather coats etc. etc. Super open ended definition.

Additional definitions provided by:

Define Hipster

Define hipster as:

Hipsters are not confined to any specific location, though hipster communities exist in most large and medium-sized U.S. cities. Hipsters are generally young, ranging from their late teens to early or mid-thirties. As a function of their urban setting, they are a multiethnic group, often reflecting the cultural diversity of their city. Contemporary hipsters are associated with an ever-growing list of specific cultural practices and institutions, including alternative music, independent film, local media, National Public Radio, vegetarianism, organic food products, atheism, liberal political views, vintage clothing, single-gear (fixed-gear) bicycles and environmental consciousness.

Basically, everyone who could possibly fit on the left side of the political aisle has been stuffed into the term of “Hipster” and then ridiculed and claimed to be “worse than terrorists”.

This movement of social engineering will continue to intensify as the months and even years progress until right wing candidates openly accuse left wing candidates as being “hipsters” with the definition already established.

Some Social Engineering to watch as it progresses.

Though I enjoy trolling, I am hoping for some input.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 07:19 AM
link   
An opinion piece by a twenty year old comedian is your proof of a vast neocon conspiracy against hipsters? How did you ever come to that conclusion?

Originally posted by lordtyp0
At the time both sides of the aisle were social liberals and progressives. The Dems and Repubs only differed on economic ideas.

Oh

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by METACOMET

Think this can do a better summary than I ever could.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   

As the calendar ticks by closer to election there have been more and more articles and news reports citing “Hipsters” as a source to be mocked, and a source of danger. Even on the ultra left side web-site Reddit.com 'hipsters' are openly mocked.

Maybe the neocons, and their arch enemies, the progressives, have joined forces in their war against hipsters.

I detest the PNAC crowd as much as anyone, but I think you came to the conclusion you did because it reinforces your world view. Do you really think this is true?

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by METACOMET

Maybe the neocons, and their arch enemies, the progressives, have joined forces in their war against hipsters.

I detest the PNAC crowd as much as anyone, but I think you came to the conclusion you did because it reinforces your world view. Do you really think this is true?

I think it's an opportunistic move at relabeling and demonizing.
I am one to haunt reddit, digg and 4chan as well as more obscure sites. Hipster was redefined within the last 6 months to include every left side demographic.

Shame by association is something that comes to mind immediately.

The Neo-Cons (Im talking about the big dogs-not those who identify as economic conservatives: Keep in mind terms are conflated) have long since adopted the Rand philosophy where the might dictates moral code and the only thing noble is acquisition of power and money. Given the simple nature of the internet and viral marketing....

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by lordtyp0

Sorry man but i dont think your going to get the input your looking for, the vast majority of Americans on this site seem to be entrenchd in the old left vs right paradigm, seemingly oblivious to the fact that it is an illusion, kind of strange concerning they are posting on a site of this nature. Im not entirely sure who these people have managed to infiltrate this board with there ignorance, i suspect they are payed, how else can they be so ignorant?

I truly sympathise with you mate, you are right of course, all the media in our nations are effectively controlled by those few corporations with the most money, and yes, they tend to be ultra conservative, whatever "leftist" points of view that are seen in the media are put there, simply for our convienence to again further this illusion of left vs right. However it seems to be this will be the last place where people are convinced, try not to get offended when you are accused of being a communist or some sort of islamic terror sympathiser. Its just the way it is.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by lordtyp0

Ok, What I'm trying to get out of you is this: How did you come to the conclusion that this is a neocon plot?

I could post a opinion piece from the NPR site about "emo's" and then start a thread titled:

New Progressive Social Engineering: Enter The emo

C'mon.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Hi Lordtyp0,

I have a confession to make. See, to me Hipsters (and yes, I am capitalising them for punctuation's sake) have always been that annoying person in the bar, sprouting off lines of Proust, drinking low grade beer (ironically, of course) and generally trying act like they're a cut above other people.

After reading your views, I have found my own views changed. Which is a good thing.

Are they not the Pabst drinking, Apple using, circa 1980's tee shirt wearing brigade I thought they were? Absolutely. But now I see my eyes opened to a wider world view of the hipster. One that might just fit me inside of it. This has me worried.

To me, a Hipster has a very defined and easily summarised definition, much like the scared little Emo, or the Goth man child that refuses to grow up and wear something other then black. These views are useful in discerning them from normal society, and their subtle nuances can be used against them thanks to this early warning system that is in-built into every subculture. If I ever see purple and black together, I know it's an Emo. Black equals Goth. Now, before this thread, I would have said if a guy walks down the street wearing a to-tight Alf tee shirt and chequered pants then he's a hipster. But now I have to think.... Am I also a Hipster in the eyes of the Neo-Con's?

This thread has disturbed me. In a good way. Thank you Lordtyp0.

Cheers
Shane

edit on 11/9/10 by shamus78 because: umm made a spelling mistake

edit on 11/9/10 by shamus78 because: I spelt to as "too", rather then "to"

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Actually,
I ran across the video:

An realized I hadn't heard an actual definition of "Hipster" I had previously presumed they were what Emos were called. I then googled some definitions and looked over reddit:

Reddit search for hipster
Looking over it you can see the meaning shift...

Though I occasionally listen to NPR on the radio, I think I have only been to their site once or twice.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by shamus78
Hi Lordtyp0,

I have a confession to make. See, to me Hipsters (and yes, I am capitalising them for punctuation's sake) have always been that annoying person in the bar, sprouting off lines of Proust, drinking low grade beer (ironically, of course) and generally trying act like they're a cut above other people.

After reading your views, I have found my own views changed. Which is a good thing.

Are they not the Pabst drinking, Apple using, circa 1980's tee shirt wearing brigade I thought they were? Absolutely. But now I see my eyes opened to a wider world view of the hipster. One that might just fit me inside of it. This has me worried.

To me, a Hipster has a very defined and easily summarised definition, much like the scared little Emo, or the Goth man child that refuses to grow up and wear something other then black. These views are useful in discerning them from normal society, and their subtle nuances can be used against them thanks to this early warning system that is in-built into every subculture. If I ever see purple and black together, I know it's an Emo. Black equals Goth. Now, before this thread, I would have said if a guy walks down the street wearing a to-tight Alf tee shirt and chequered pants then he's a hipster. But now I have to think.... Am I also a Hipster in the eyes of the Neo-Con's?

This thread has disturbed me. In a good way. Thank you Lordtyp0.

Cheers
Shane

edit on 11/9/10 by shamus78 because: umm made a spelling mistake

edit on 11/9/10 by shamus78 because: I spelt to as "too", rather then "to"

Lol,
Part of the point I suppose: Hipsters used to have a very distinct meaning. It WAS that guy at the bar quoting obscure French poetry to look cool while wearing a pastel scarf. The meaning has changed in the past while though to include almost everyone.. I mean "Atheists" are hipsters now?

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Instead of saying "Why don't I" why don't you do it? This guy has a valid point. The centralisation of sub cultures in regards to the Liberals and Conservatives is really an under-reported phenomenon of these times.

Cheers
Shane

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Johnze

Agree, though in fairness those redefining moments in politics do go both ways. The Tea Party movement-which I find hilarious: doesn't quite deserve the painting as being a racist platform of crazy people. Well the WHOLE movement doesn't there are certainly some splinter chapters that are whacko.

That being said I think this an interesting thing.. The right wing manifests in party lines because the people bring crazy to the table and normalize it and are accepted. The left wing crazies are lefties only by fringe, not recognized by mainstream lefties. Like the militant vegans who torch KFC's and the likes.

An interesting comparison I think anyway.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by shamus78

While I do tend to gravitate towards black T-shirts and have been known to wax philosophic whilst a few too many sheets to the wind...

I want it on record that I have never ordered a PBR in my life!

I'm a strictly top self liquor and quality imported beer sort of "hipster".

And, yes, it does appear to me that there is a very religious and very conservative segment of society who seem to have circled the wagons and developed a very clear agenda of "us vs them" with "them" being everyone who doesn't fit a very exacting and precise mold.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by shamus78

This guy has a valid point. The centralisation of sub cultures in regards to the Liberals and Conservatives is really an under-reported phenomenon of these times.

OP is doing exactly this. Did you read the thread title? "New Neo-Con Social Engineering: Enter The Hipster"

I guess it's too much to ask how he came to the neocon conclusion.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   

If you watch the link I provided it talks about the relabeling and demonizing of the word 'liberal'.. that is something that still gets a scowl on some peoples face when saying it. Also, given that neo-cons are the nemeses of Liberals and every liberal demographic has been shoe horned into "hipster". Neo-cons.. not so much shoe-horned in.

If you watch the link it cites how they have done this before as well. It is also modus operandi for Karl Rove and the likes.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Ah, the hipster. Interesting group. I never considered them to be created and used as a tool before though. I can see this as being true.

The game is divide and conquer, and we're still losing.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   
K, I work graves, time to head home and sleep, will check in later: Remember I am saying the term has been re-provisioned-widened to include the entire left side of the spectrum on the political line. Not that "Hipster was invented" for this

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Actually, you have a good point. How many sub-cultures within the Conservative realm can you name? Seems like they were all lumped together a long time ago

Cheers
Shane

edit on 11/9/10 by shamus78 because: yet another spelling mistake

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Hipsters/counterculture/beatniks/hippies are hard wired that way. They are predominately suspicious of authority figures.
And neocon control freaks are naturally afraid of them because they can see thru the manipulation and hypocrisy.
When hipsters group together they call it a tribe or collective.

At the other end of the social spectrum are the conformist/militarist/jocks/boyscouts that seek leaders and authority figures to rally around.
Their comfort level is determined by group think, acceptance and a desire to feel needed. The consummate brown nose. In groups they are a platoon or crew with a strictly defined hierarchy.

Enter the chameleon....change personality at the drop of a hat depending on who he is hanging with at any particular time. Flying under the radar and analyzing every social situation. Independently geeky.

Social stratification for fun and profit. Find out what they want.....and GIVE it To em!

edit on 11-9-2010 by whaaa because: needed a tag line

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
LOL... Another let's bash the Conservatives! Thank you for this. Before you ask; "Did you even read my post"? Yes Sir I did. It was very well put together and analytical.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join