It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Synthetic Pathogens Might Pose Bioterror Threat, Scientists Warn

page: 1
4
<<   2 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Synthetic Pathogens Might Pose Bioterror Threat, Scientists Warn


www.globalsecuritynewswire.org

WASHINGTON --The newfound ability of scientists to produce disease materials from scratch has led to concerns that extremists might seek the same capabilities to carry out acts of bioterrorism (see GSN, Aug. 11).

Synthetic pathogens are man-made infectious agents that are produced either from the manufacture or adaptation of DNA, cells and other biological structures.
(visit the link for the full news article)




posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
So, this isn't really a shocker, as we should have all seen this coming. However, that doesn't mean it's not an important topic to discuss...

So now we're going to need anti viruses for the computer and the body it looks like. Can you imagine what would happen if people like the Zodiac killer new how to make these viruses? Even worse the military...

Imagine weaponized super viruses that work to identify the enemy based on specific dna markers or psychological markers.

www.globalsecuritynewswire.org
(visit the link for the full news article)


edit on 10-9-2010 by sliceNodice because: (no reason given)



posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Makes you wonder what the motives really are regarding vitamin B and other sudden discoveries and cures that are in the media?
Would takin vitamin B for example make you more prone or more safe? Swine flu jabs etc?



posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
You would be really suprised at how easy it would be to accomplish.
Herbert's "White Plague" outlines with great accuracy how it can be done with money in a lab. What is scary is that it can also be done in a kitchen in mason jars.
c-lab.co.uk...
getting a mutant pathogen is far easier than the cactus project.
I can honestly say it would take less than two yrs for me to work up aspergillus into a manslayer of large proportions. Just tickle a gene into an affinity to human tissue over any other substrate and watch 'em fall. takes a mutagen, targeted culture media and time and space to run out variant until one emerges as aggresive on human tissue cultures.
So yeah, if a old fart with a chem degree can suss this out I know folks in the industry who could prolly do this in a few weeks.
Really when the good guys know how ( I like to think I am a good guy) bet on the fact there are already mason jars bubbling somewhere watched over by someone with less purely intellectual motivations.
N.



posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
UV light kills pathogens, just so you all know.

I think information about synthetic pathogens should be kept secret, and kept tightly guarded.

I also think people should shut up and stop giving evil people ideas.



posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by illumin8ed
UV light kills pathogens, just so you all know.

I think information about synthetic pathogens should be kept secret, and kept tightly guarded.

I also think people should shut up and stop giving evil people ideas.


Never underestimate your enemy. It's important to discuss what your enemy might do, as your enemy is likely to be just as clever as you, hence they will likely think of all possible scenarios; What I mean by that is awareness and public discussion of possible crimes is of far greater value than the security offered by ignorance towards such crimes. It allows for quick response and most importantly prevention.



posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by illumin8ed
UV light kills pathogens, just so you all know.

I think information about synthetic pathogens should be kept secret, and kept tightly guarded.

I also think people should shut up and stop giving evil people ideas.


You know what? if I was a "bad guy" you are just the neighbor I would want.Someone who demands ignorance
. Here is a truth for you. Information exists and since it does exist it will manifest.Now think on this. As I said I am a Ochem degree and a Sci Fi book and have NO DOUBT I could do just what I said.This is in stark contrast that I spend most of my time trying to ease suffering. Why on earth would it be any different for a well educated molecular biologist? What if said biologist was your neighbor? by your desire you would not have a fraking clue he was cooking up a superbug.
What I said was a wake up call that this crap is already happening at some levels beneath governments.Wishing you could lock it all away is tantamount to hiding your head in the sand.
" You kids playing with the claviceps again? last time ya'll tinkered in the gene pool you gave a whole village hallucinations and gangrene"

N.



posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by sliceNodice
Never underestimate your enemy.


Never give your enemies ideas that they might not already have.


Originally posted by sliceNodice
It's important to discuss what your enemy might do, as your enemy is likely to be just as clever as you, hence they will likely think of all possible scenarios;


By all means, plan for everything.... but don't tell your enemies everything you have planned for.


Originally posted by sliceNodice
What I mean by that is awareness and public discussion of possible crimes is of far greater value than the security offered by ignorance towards such crimes. It allows for quick response and most importantly prevention.


You don't have to tell people how to make nuclear bombs in order to prevent them.


I did NOT suggest ignorance. I suggest you only tell your friends, not your enemies.


edit on 10-9-2010 by illumin8ed because: (no reason given)



posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by N.of norml
You know what? if I was a "bad guy" you are just the neighbor I would want.Someone who demands ignorance
.


I don't demand ignorance. Where did you get that idea? I demand that you don't give evil people ideas. Tell all the good people you want, but avoid telling the evil people.

Also, no, if you were the bad guy I am not the neighbor you would want.


Originally posted by N.of norml
Here is a truth for you. Information exists and since it does exist it will manifest.


Here is a truth for you. Information is destroyable.


Originally posted by N.of norml
As I said I am a Ochem degree and a Sci Fi book and have NO DOUBT I could do just what I said.


You just told all your enemies your capabilities. Now you are a target. You see how that works?


Originally posted by N.of norml
This is in stark contrast that I spend most of my time trying to ease suffering.


Good for you. Now are you going to try to ease your enemies suffering by telling them how?


Originally posted by N.of norml
Why on earth would it be any different for a well educated molecular biologist? What if said biologist was your neighbor?


I would hope that molecular biologist doesn't go around telling people how to create bio-weapons.

Imagine for a minute your enemy is dumb as a rock, and not smart enough to grasp molecular biology, yet you laid out step by step instructions on how to create a bio-weapon that even a dummy could follow with zero knowledge. That is pretty dumb. That is when YOU become your own threat. YOU are then your own enemy.


Originally posted by N.of norml
by your desire you would not have a fraking clue he was cooking up a superbug.


I never said anything about ignorance. Your jump to conclusions is telling.

I desire you don't tell evil people, and only tell good people. It's pretty simple to understand.



Originally posted by N.of norml
What I said was a wake up call that this crap is already happening at some levels beneath governments.


Everyone knows bio-weapons exist. Not everyone knows how to make them (which is good).


Originally posted by N.of norml
Wishing you could lock it all away is tantamount to hiding your head in the sand.


Again... I never wished for people to hide their head in the sand. I wished that you don't give evil people ideas.

"I'll take 'Failed Reading Comprehension' for 500, Alex."




edit on 11-9-2010 by illumin8ed because: (no reason given)



posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   





Don't give" bad people" ideas....LOL I have no trouble with my comprehension just your logic.
So yeah don't write Al Quaeda with an outline, although to think they aren't already working on something is ,I am sorry, ignorant.
The very fact you feel threatened by my thoughts is indicative of your lack of logical thought on the issue. as well as your overall ignorance of the ease of which such can be done. It is no secret anymore and NO information is not destroyed as I said it exists all that can be destroyed is our records of it. It is literally within the reach of a smart high school kid.
So if any "ideas" are given out here it is to get edumacated and realize that technology is a two edge sword that can cut both ways.
As for keeping things "secret", well that is not how the world works is it?
I am off to find "bad people" to not tell.... again, sorry but the bad people are doing the big work on this crap
N.



posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I don't know why I am replying to you, you obviously don't know how to read. But I will anyway so I can prove it to everyone who reads this.


Originally posted by N.of norml
Don't give" bad people" ideas....LOL


What's so funny? I think it's funny how many conclusions you can jump to after only reading one vague sentence I wrote in my first post.


Originally posted by N.of norml
I have no trouble with my comprehension just your logic.


No, you can't hide it, you have reading comprehension problems.


Originally posted by N.of norml
So yeah don't write Al Quaeda with an outline, although to think they aren't already working on something is ,I am sorry, ignorant.


I never said ANYTHING about thinking they aren't already working on it. However I did suggest there might be people who are not. You sir are ignorant... you can't even read and you put words in my mouth. You think I said something that I didn't.... Wow...


Originally posted by N.of norml
The very fact you feel threatened by my thoughts is indicative of your lack of logical thought on the issue.


Who said I feel threatened by your thoughts? You will NEVER in your life be able to scare me or threaten me.

You again are putting words in my mouth, and you think I said something which I didn't. Learn to read.


Originally posted by N.of norml
as well as your overall ignorance of the ease of which such can be done.


You have NO CLUE what I know. How can you sit there and judge me based on a few sentences that you can't even read correctly? How can you say I am ignorant to a topic when I haven't even mentioned anything I know about the subject?

You've got some type of communication problem. You obviously are reading something totally different from what I am writing.


Originally posted by N.of norml
It is no secret anymore and NO information is not destroyed as I said it exists all that can be destroyed is our records of it. It is literally within the reach of a smart high school kid.


Yes information is destroyed. Sure it can always be rediscovered, but then it can be destroyed again after that.

It doesn't matter that it can be discovered by people if they wanted. I'm trying to tell you to hide it from dumb people (evil people) who otherwise wouldn't be able to discover it on their own. Your lack of ability to understand this basic concept is mind boggling. You just don't have what it takes to comprehend simple logic I guess.


Originally posted by N.of norml
So if any "ideas" are given out here it is to get edumacated and realize that technology is a two edge sword that can cut both ways.


Edumacated... yeah you must still be in high school.

You must understand that 1st world countries have access to things that 3rd world countries don't. If the 1st world country discovers something that could endanger many lives, it's best they don't go around telling 3rd world countries who otherwise wouldn't have ever came across the knowledge. Do you at least understand THAT? It's a very vague point... but even a high school kid is within reach of understanding it.


Originally posted by N.of norml
As for keeping things "secret", well that is not how the world works is it?




There exists, today, MANY secrets that you are not privileged to know. Telling you, or the "enemies", will put the entire world at risk.

Your inability to understand this shows your total lack of understanding of this simple logic.


Originally posted by N.of norml
I am off to find "bad people" to not tell.... again, sorry but the bad people are doing the big work on this crap
N.


So do you believe "bad people" should continue to work on it? From reading your replies, I'm guessing you don't care.






edit on 11-9-2010 by illumin8ed because: early morning mistakes





edit on 11-9-2010 by illumin8ed because: (no reason given)



posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   





Nice bullet point rebuttal, to bad it is an unrealistic expectation.And the personal attack is weak
(Edumacated... yeah you must still be in high school.) that for the comprehension impaired was a joke
I understand every word you wrote I just think you are being completely unrealistic.Not only unrealistic you seem to not grasp that information is a form of power and control is achieved through restricting information. Sure there are things that are "dangerous" but that is the price you pay for the goodies we enjoy. My point is if you fear this the world must be a very scary place for you. If you think a vague outline of a possible action is irresponsible or dangerous, then again get educated about it and lose the fear.
As for putting "ideas in bad peoples heads", if you were not serious this would make me laugh! As if I am a component in forming terrorist action is as ludicrous as I said it is very well outlined in a very popular sci fi book called the White Plague by Frank Herbert. I suppose he is Putting ideas in "bad peoples" heads also? he should never write another speculative fiction lest an nefarious character us the premise nefariously?.
Pleas take you fear ridden castigation elsewhere,And save your vitriol for those who would act on such not those who bear the message it is possible
N.
"



posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by N.of norml
Nice bullet point rebuttal, to bad it is an unrealistic expectation.




Your words are fragile.


Originally posted by N.of norml
And the personal attack is weak
(Edumacated... yeah you must still be in high school.) that for the comprehension impaired was a joke


I know it was a joke. Everything you say is a joke. Yet, you are a horrible comedian.


Originally posted by N.of norml
I understand every word you wrote I just think you are being completely unrealistic.


No you didn't understand. If you did you wouldn't put words in my mouth and suggest I said things that I didn't say.

I am being totally realistic. Did you even read the OP's article? I am not the only one who thinks some should be kept quiet.


Originally posted by N.of norml
Not only unrealistic you seem to not grasp that information is a form of power and control is achieved through restricting information.


How can you sit there and make such a wild conclusion? I never suggested that I can not grasp that... in fact... I think it is YOU that can not grasp that.

Yes, information is a form of power.... so why are you going to give it to your enemies?

Holy crap man, you can't even read your own logic.

I'm done with you.


edit on 11-9-2010 by illumin8ed because: (no reason given)



posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Straight from the OP's article that some users failed to read:



Others point out that the U.S. government, by commissioning studies and holding public hearings, could be drawing extremist attention to the bioterrorism possibilities in synthetic genomics where they had previously been unaware.

"The process of dreaming itself is dangerous," Church said. "We don’t need to come up with hypothetical plans."


I can't believe members were ignorant enough to call me ignorant for having legitimate concerns.



posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Thank you , as your consistent misrepresentation of my intent and words is a bit offensive. Please read The White Plague and then tell ME I am the threat.
Dude you get to be my first ignore.
There are two realities going here, mine in which it is recognized there are bad people doing bad things with tech and quietly hiding the issue or just keeping the possibilities on the down low is tantamount to inviting the bad to live undetected.
And what I see as your reality in which we are "protected" from such information for our own good by a benevolent government who we can trust to do the right thing with the tech"the good people" as you put it.
I leave it up to whoever reads this to decide which is a more accurate model.
I also am retaining the possibility that using the ignore feature is the only understanding we shall achieve
N.
PS please reread my original post and reconsider your position



posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
""The process of dreaming itself is dangerous," Church said. "We don’t need to come up with hypothetical plans."

One of the scariest sentences I have ever read.
If you are of this camp ignore it will be as I have no use for such fascist controls. Yes, the process of Man dreaming is dangerous so let's quit dreaming? FFS! Is this where we have come?!!!
N.



posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by N.of norml
 


I hope you put me on ignore.. You don't know how to read, and can't comprehend simple safety concerns.

Your words are worthless.

You are an advocate of telling criminals how to create deadly pathogens to use against people. It doesn't get more pathetic than that.



posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by N.of norml
 


Dream all you want... but dreaming up ways to endanger many lives and then telling everyone about it is completely illogical and incredibly stupid. If you are of that group, you are obviously evil and unintelligent.


edit on 11-9-2010 by illumin8ed because: more civil)




edit on 11-9-2010 by illumin8ed because: (no reason given)



posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by illumin8ed
 


Yeah tell it to Frank Herbert dude , you are just looking to be PO'ed and I am handy. If you had a clue you would know if anyone did not know way more than the simplistic speculation I posted actually tried any of this they would off themselves first. In fact why not jump the OP while at it for even letting this into the forum?That is really where the cat gets out of the bag,right?No dude you are a headhunter and are trying to bust my chops.
Thing is there are way more immediate and dire threats than a fool and some germs. Although far be it from me to say what they may be as it might give someone ideas

N.
Look mods! no quotes



posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by N.of norml
Yeah tell it to Frank Herbert dude ,


Tell him what? Don't give criminals step by step instructions on how to harm millions of people? Hopefully he is smart enough to know that already, unlike you.


Originally posted by N.of norml
you are just looking to be PO'ed and I am handy.


There you go again, wrongly judging me based off of your inability to comprehend what I type.


Originally posted by N.of norml
If you had a clue you would know if anyone did not know way more than the simplistic speculation I posted actually tried any of this they would off themselves first.


What makes you think I don't have a clue? Again, you judge me based on your incorrect interpretation of my words. I know way more than you will ever know about this subject to tell you the truth.

You are right, all you posted was simplistic speculation.



Originally posted by N.of norml
In fact why not jump the OP while at it for even letting this into the forum?


...because the OP didn't write the article.


Originally posted by N.of norml
That is really where the cat gets out of the bag,right?


Wrong. Yet again.


Originally posted by N.of norml
No dude you are a headhunter and are trying to bust my chops.


I'm not trying to do anything other than show how you can't read and fail at logical thought regarding the subject about telling criminals how to harm millions of people.


Originally posted by N.of norml
Thing is there are way more immediate and dire threats than a fool and some germs.


Yes, and they all should be dealt with in order to sustain peace.


Originally posted by N.of norml
Although far be it from me to say what they may be as it might give someone ideas



Good job. You finally understand the higher logic of it all.

You just may now understand what "need to know" means.




top topics



 
4
<<   2 >>

log in

join