It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Synthetic Pathogens Might Pose Bioterror Threat, Scientists Warn

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Originally posted by N.of norml
"Yeah tell it to Frank Herbert dude ,"

Originally posted by illumin8ted
"Tell him what? Don't give criminals step by step instructions on how to harm millions of people? Hopefully he is smart enough to know that already, unlike you."

en.wikipedia.org...

Note the publishing date as you educate yourself.

You act like this is ome "new development" it is old news dude. now get of the hate train
N.

Better on the quotes, eh?

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by sliceNodice

It seems most inentions can also be used for evil purposes so this comes as no surprise really.... what does surprise me is that this info gets out into the open....

I mean of course evil dwellers will already be thinking of things like this but there are people who would never have thought about it until reading this.....

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I agree with illumin8ed,

Although increasing awareness of such threats can be good, bringing attention to such threats to those who may not already be aware can be very dangerous.

I also agree that N.of normal doesn't know how to read.

edit on 11-9-2010 by Unst0ppable0ne because: typo

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Note the publishing date as you educate yourself.

You need to educate yourself on how to read!

You act like this is ome "new development" it is old news dude. now get of the hate train
N.

No I do not act like this is some "new development".... Biological attacks are not new, and have been around for many years. I am not arguing about the idea of biological attacks going around. I am arguing about the new knowledge and new technology that allows one to carry out a biological attack being spread around! If you had even an ounce of ability to read and comprehend you would have known that already.

You posting science fiction books about biological attacks is completely irrelevant. That book doesn't contain step by step instructions on how to successfully create biological weapons, and doesn't contain information about new technology that makes it easier to do. So I don't care. I was only talking about the information about the technology.

Holy crap man. You don't even understand what what I'm arguing. Go back to school!

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Let me try to make it more clear for those who failed their English classes.

From the OP's article;

"Eventually, it will almost certainly be possible to recreate bacterial pathogens like smallpox. We might also be able to enhance these pathogens. Some work in Australia on mousepox suggests ways of making smallpox more potent, for example. In theory, entirely new pathogens could be created," Hastings Center Report Editor Gregory Kaebnick said in congressional testimony during a May hearing on Capitol Hill.

I believe these new possibilities that "eventually" will come to light should be kept quiet as to keep the information away from terrorists. The "work in Australia" should also be kept quiet so terrorists can't easily figure it out.

That is all I was suggesting....

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by illumin8ed
I believe these new possibilities that "eventually" will come to light should be kept quiet as to keep the information away from terrorists. The "work in Australia" should also be kept quiet so terrorists can't easily figure it out.

You are doing a great job of diverting this topic with such a pedantic argument, but i do find the above quote very telling .

The TPTB sure have got you scared, haven't they?. You have the nerve to criticise other peoples intelligence, yet how intelligent can someone be living in the state of fear that you clearly are?

You are very deluded, and arrogant. The thing is you are terrified lol. and the worst thing is that fear permeates not only into every facet of your own life, but everyone else's lives as well

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Well I re-read the article just so ya'll know. It seems to have caused the correct response among the sheeple (if we're gonna cast aspersions let it be so). This may be shocking new information to some of you ,but to some who are on top of new tech this is yesterday since the creation of the first artificial cell. Just as you had no clue as to the nature of Herbert's novel decades old which gives detailed info on most of the process. So if you think the cat just got out of the bag then SUPRISE! it has been out for decades.
So getting back to why I8ed jumped my arse. After that article gives far more detail and outlines the scenario in good detail on who and how to do "bad stuff" I get pinned for saying ,yeah a lot of people have the intelligence and education to do the same with a garage tech from the top of my head and I AM THE DANGER!
Not the major news article, my post on a web site that uncovers cover-ups and government shenanigans is "a problem"
I think I have read things just fine and what is between the lines is saying volumes.
Have fun fearing yesterdays news. Hope the government will protect ya'll from this terrible threat.
N.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeadpoolPete
You are doing a great job of diverting this topic with such a pedantic argument, but i do find the above quote very telling .

I made one comment, and had two, now three, people call me ignorant. I am not the one doing any diverting.

The TPTB sure have got you scared, haven't they?.

I don't believe in a "PTB"..... I am "TPTB".

You failed.

You have the nerve to criticise other peoples intelligence, yet how intelligent can someone be living in the state of fear that you clearly are?

I am not living in a state of fear. I know how to cure all diseases and viruses with UV light and fiber optics.

However, I would love to prevent biological attacks by making information on how to carry out such an attack secret.

You too seem to be an advocate for biological attacks I guess. Oh how I hope you see your destination before you arrive there.

You are very deluded, and arrogant.

... and you are a worthless collection of dust.

The thing is you are terrified lol.

No, I am fearless. I do not have a single fear in the world. And you know nothing about me, and that is why you have made such a stupid comment.

and the worst thing is that fear permeates not only into every facet of your own life, but everyone else's lives as well

Wrong yet again. I am fearless.

I suggest you learn the difference between fear and preparedness and prevention. They are not the same.

Another failure bites the dust.

edit on 11-9-2010 by illumin8ed because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by N.of norml

Holy crap dude, you are so damn clueless.

I already know all this information is out and about. I simply said that it would be a good idea to not give anyone any ideas who don't already have them.

I find it hilarious that you don't know how to read. Go back to school.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by illumin8ed

thank you for resorting to childish name calling, further proving how you are a scared little mind lost in this world full of cave dwelling terrorists who, if we don't hide these ideas from, could take us all out with these ideas

i am honestly surprised you haven't starting typing "shhhhh bro, they might hear us..."

anyway i am done with this, i hope you can get out of this little bubble of fear but you are clearly ignorant of this fact, i am not calling you ignorant in relation to your intelligence as a whole, but you are ignorant of how scared you are, thus not recognising this fear and/or repressing it, and we all know what repression leads to, but they also say that ignorance is bliss lol

peace out my worried friend

edit - also i apologise to any other ats users reading for the extreme amount of commas i use, this is why i never claim to be anything other than an inquiring mind lol

edit on 11-9-2010 by DeadpoolPete because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-9-2010 by DeadpoolPete because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   

thank you for resorting to childish name calling,

What? What drugs are you on? I didn't call you any names. YOU called ME diluted and arrogant, you hypocrite!

I simply told you that you are a worthless collection of dust. I simply reminded you that you are made of elements found in the dirt.

People like you make me sick! Accuse me of what you did first! That is pathetic!

further proving how you are a scared little mind lost in this world full of cave dwelling terrorists who, if we don't hide these ideas from, could take us all out with these ideas

Again... I am fearless.

I know there exists in this world people who wish harm on others. They are called terrorists. They do exist, and your lack of knowledge of their existence is completely mind boggling.

I can't believe you are mocking my concern for terrorists harming others. I guess you are heartless and don't care, and just pathetic.

i am honestly surprised you haven't starting typing "shhhhh bro, they might hear us..."

I'm honestly surprised you are able to turn your computer on and type words.You just may be smarter than I think you are.

anyway i am done with this, i hope you can get out of this little bubble of fear but you are clearly ignorant of this fact, i am not calling you ignorant in relation to your intelligence as a whole, but you are ignorant of how scared you are, thus not recognising this fear and/or repressing it, and we all know what repression leads to, but they also say that the ignorance is bliss lol

You are freaking clueless. I am fearless you troll. I just care that people might harm others with biological attacks. The same care that caused the OP to post this topic, and the same care that caused the author of the article to write the article.

peace out my worried friend

Don't let the door hit you on the way out you hypocritical, clueless, pathetic collection of worthless dust.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   

You are very deluded, and arrogant.

thank you for resorting to childish name calling,

Wow, he is a hypocrite! How can you call someone names and then call someone childish for it?

Carefull illumin8ed, they have already proven they can't understand basic logic. They are probably just little kids with their moms computer and internet connection.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Unst0ppable0ne

I know they are...

Anyway... Here is another quote from the article;

While scientists have been engineering genetic sequences for decades and commercial gene sequencing has been around for years, the field continues to move into uncharted territory. This year, researchers for the first time were able to design and produce cells that do not exist in nature without using pre-existing biological matter -- marking the latest evolution in the rapidly advancing field of synthetic biology.

Genetic engineering has been around for decades, however they had to start from pre-existing biological matter. Now, with this new knowledge that now exists, they can produce cells that do not exist in a nature WITHOUT pre-existing biological matter.

All I was saying, is that this new knowledge should be kept out of the hands of those who wish harm on others.

I can't believe I am being attacked for wishing such knowledge stay out of the hands of those who wish harm on others. I guess ATS is full of terrorists.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Originally posted by TruthxIsxInxThexMist
what does surprise me is that this info gets out into the open....

I mean of course evil dwellers will already be thinking of things like this but there are people who would never have thought about it until reading this.....

Exactly. It's not very smart to publish detailed methods and technologies which could inform those who previously were not informed of such things.

Be aware, people on this topic will call you ignorant for having such thoughts.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
. Ya'll seem to look where your pointed without looking at who is pointing or why.
Sure a primitive, crude and largely ineffective "problem" could be caused by a "terrorist/s" but the big threat is from the very ones you hope will protect you. Your strident name calling or buddy system posting can not defend that you really know very little about the state of research today. That is cool that is why I posted what I did because the article was a fear piece only. Reality is the threat outlined could only realistically be mounted by those running the present research funded by the present power structure.
Last call folks ain't goin' home but ain't stayin' here say yer piece and i will check it out but am done wasting words.
N.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by N.of norml

Your fear of the government is laughable.
Especially after you insulted me about giving enemies information. It's ok little boy.

From reading your words, the government is your enemy. So let me ask, if you discovered something the government didn't know, would you tell the government, or would you keep the information secret?

Don't bother to answer. I know your answer.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
This thread has been nothing but a personal attack back and forth. Warnings have been issued to those attacking the poster and not discussing the topic.

This thread is being closed.

If members who actually wish to discuss the topic choose to do so, then they can author a new thread and proceed.

Closing thread....

top topics

<< 1   >>

join