It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Not atheist, not religious: Typical Briton is a 'fuzzy believer'

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes
Parallex, me old mucker, as I've pointed out before: Britain is a Christian country, because the Head of State is also the head of the Church of England.

The two positions of being the monarch of Britain and the head of the Church of England are inseparable.

So you're saying Britain belongs to the King and Queen?

I know a lot of British people who would take offense to that.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by bsbray11

They could take offence to it all they want, but they can't ignore the truth of the matter.

The British monarchy owns the land of the country, and everyone of us Britons are subjects of the Crown.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Parallex
I appreciate you made this point before, but you're WRONG.

With respect, I'm RIGHT.

Just because a head of state is Christian, does not mean everyone else in the country gets classified as being Christian!

Nobody said that every citizen or subject has to conform to the ideologies or beliefs of their Head of State, to be citizens of a country that endorses those ideologies or beliefs.

Britain is a Christian country because the Head of State is also the head of the Church of England. It's simple.

There is no distinction between being the leader of the British, and the leader of the national Christian church.

The two roles are inseparable.

Were the majority of people in the USSR between 1917-1990 communist supporters ?

Was the USSR between 1917-1990 a communist country ?

The answer to those two questions should clear up the confusion that you have on this issue.

edit on 10-9-2010 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Laurauk
After all he just does not want to be the defender of the prodestant faith, he wants to be defender all Faiths. If that does happen, then the UK does not qualify as a christian country.

A lot more would have to take place for that scenario to become an actuality, other than Charles mumbling some incoherent ramblings on the issue. After all, he does talk to plants, too.

If truth be told, I think he's just trying to be more ''inclusive'' on the religion issue, because Camilla is a Catholic.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
I love the bit where he says "If you had been born in South America you would be an Aztec"

LOL.

Mr. McCririck's clearly a very intelligent chap !

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Nice thread. I'm keen to here what others think here and also their own position.
Sort of goes where I am, in between a rock and a hard place so to speak.
Here it is.
Either one specific religion or don't believe at all. Could it not be possible that we are of extra terrestrial origins and somehow we have been supressed in more ways than one. If you are feeling like I am where until I came here I was on the understanding we evolved from apes. But why didn't they or any other species evolve too?
Now I'm a firm believer in what the bible says and more to where I believe it points to our origins whom we call ET's. I believe that we are decendants of Jesus, jesus of god etc. But between jesus and adam did we evolve further? As a species not what we have accomplished.
I may lose a few of you off here but what if we on earth are all humans but of different species of human. Different images of our own gods? How many religions and how many races? I'm not a racist and I mean no offence at all. We are all there same here.
I'm going out on a limb here but could it be possible that all of our gods exist and are part of something much much bigger?
I can't sit here and say that the christian god doesn't exist nor the muslim god nor any of the others. But they don't mention the other yet do their holy books or scriptures all point to the same place and both end the same?
But one thing that's baffling me here
Heaven - Hell
God-Devil
Up-down
Man-woman
Black- white
Good - evil
Cops and robbers, cowboys and indians, soldiers and terrorists.
We are all one and the same in a melting pot who have forgotten? Or have been manipulated?
Christians in their own eyes are good guys and muslims are the bad guys but in the muslims eyes they are the good guys and we are the bad. That's applicable to all.
Has someone or something being able to manipulate the situation over the centuries to the point none of us remember?
Could jesus and other religious faiths same figure be gods angels?

I know I've probably lost you all off here but who am I to say God doesn't exist. How would they explained god years ago when they had nothing that they could relate to?
Its like landing a helicopter in the middle of josephs garden pilot jumps out runs around the helicopter and jumps back in and flies off? How would joseph explain that to mary? Also the rest that may have seen? How could you explain what you saw? Simple you couldn't. Someone or something helped us all along. That's the only plausable explanation
ET or god created us all. I think they are one and the same.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes

Originally posted by bsbray11

They could take offence to it all they want, but they can't ignore the truth of the matter.

The British monarchy owns the land of the country, and everyone of us Britons are subjects of the Crown.

Sorry, but you're WRONG - accept it.

The King or Queen of the ruling family no longer owns the people or the land upon which they reside. These rights were lost to them under the common law bill of rights. This bill of rights originate in Simon De Montforts efforts in the Baronial Revolt, and the signing of Magna Charter back in Medieval England. This charter and it's subsequent revisions were the single biggest leap forward for democracy in the history of man.

You are trying to force your opinion, with no evidence or proof. The UK is NOT a Christian country, only a Christian fundie would persist in trying to make this point, and I don't think you are one - so I believe you should concede. Christians don't like the fact that reason and rationalism are winning the war against religious fascism - this argument you propound is one I have won time, and time again. You can not WIN, because I have FACTS and truth on my side.

Britain is a SECULAR country, not a Christian one. Period. Forevermore. Good riddance to the Christian idiocy.

Parallex.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Parallex

No one has a bill of rights. Although we are pushing or them.

The Monarchy is still he head of state of the UK. And she is also the head of the prodestant church.

Which makes our country a Christisn Country, weither you like it or not...

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

Parallex is right. Please listen to him, he does understand the constitution - unlike you.

We are no longer subjects of the Crown. By the Bill of Rights and other Acts, we are citizens of the United Kingdom and no longer property of the Crown. Just because we have a Church of England, does not mean Anglicanism is a mandated faith of the United Kingdom. It was once, but not anymore. Once we stopped being a subject, we were given religious freedom and assembly.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Laurauk
No one has a bill of rights.

Ermm, Glorious Revolution? William of Orange? Bill of Rights 1689?

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Sorry, but you're WRONG - accept it.

No, I'm RIGHT, again.

The King or Queen of the ruling family no longer owns the people or the land upon which they reside. These rights were lost to them under the common law bill of rights. This bill of rights originate in Simon De Montforts efforts in the Baronial Revolt, and the signing of Magna Charter back in Medieval England.

Declare your house and the land you own a sovereign state, and not subject to the laws of the UK, and see how far you get.

Then come back to me, and repeat what you've just said.

Originally posted by ParallexThis charter and it's subsequent revisions were the single biggest leap forward for democracy in the history of man.

LOL.

You are trying to force your opinion, with no evidence or proof.

I've provided all the proof you need.

The UK is NOT a Christian country, only a Christian fundie would persist in trying to make this point, and I don't think you are one - so I believe you should concede.

I like your style, Parallex. But you really must troll harder.

Britain is a SECULAR country, not a Christian one.

You're just wasting my time here.

France is a secular country, the USA is secular country, because they prohibit the mixing of Church and State.

The Head of State of The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is one, and the same, as the head of the country's Christian church; ergo, Britain is a Christian country.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

If this Country had Christianity, as the mandated religion, you would be in prison or face punishment for worshiping an alternative religion. Just because the Crown is the head of the Church, does not mean the religion is mandatory. That fact you can freely worship who you like, without fear or prejudice, highlights we are not a Christianity country or have a mandated religion.

Also, Prince Charles, if he becomes King, wants to be called defender of faiths. Plus, only Catholics are exempted from the Throne. Prince Charles, even the Queen, could convert to an Islam and it's fine within the Constitution. READ the Acts of Parliament.

We are NOT a Christianity country.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by jazz10

Sorry got to add this, I may have lost more than a few of you off before when I mentioned being manipulated and forgetting?
I watched an interesting Derren Brown programme the other day and how he was easily able to make a bloke save the lives of others not realizing that what he believes is reality, isn't.
Now I know that no man or woman has been around each and everyone of us manipulating us. It would have to be on a larger scale. Hidden in what's most common.
I guarantee that most have one or more of the following in common.
We all drink water, mobile phones, televisions. Could any or all of these be manipulated? Hidden sounds or flashes? We already know stories regarding our water supplies?

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I can't stand the people that just say they have no idea what they believe in. Like really, you've never given the time of day to contemplate who you are, where we all came from, or how we got to this point? It is like Ohio and undecided voters, why does it take them two years to decide between two people? Durrr, make up your mind! How can you be alive for 20 years and not know if you believe in god or not? It is not that confusing, nor is it that hard to take a few hours out of one day of the year to sit down and do some research to finally help yourself remove the fuzzy looking question marks from your head and replace them with original thoughts of your own.

edit on 10-9-2010 by tooo many pills because: alive*

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
lets get back to the days when we were all one religion, pagans. Then we get the holy than though christains coming over and make our deity into an imagine of the devil the world over. They burned women accusing them of being witches if they tried to help someone with medicine the way the pagans had done for centuries. They forced us at the fear of death to believe what they wanted us to believe, turned the peaceful pagan traditions into either satanist activites or just simply incorproated them into their own religion and claimed them as their own. Britan was a pagan country for centuries and most people forget that, halloween was our day until christain took that one of us, the solticies were important, we knew more about science and medicine than any other main religion and got put into 600 years of dark ages by a relgion that now cliams to be peaceful only after many centuries of crulty, oppresion and murder. We now sit on our moral high ground and tut tut at the islamic faith, yet we did worse than any of them and for longer. Is it any wonder one third of us is "fuzzy" about religion? I know i am, i dont know what, if anything, to believe any more

edit on 10-9-2010 by thedarktower because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
If this Country had Christianity, as the mandated religion, you would be in prison or face punishment for worshiping an alternative religion.

Someone else that has disembarked the logic train.

Does the Vatican City State have stipulations that the Swiss Guard who reside there, face prison or punishment if they aren't Catholic ?

Is the Vatican City a Catholic country ?

Just because the Crown is the head of the Church, does not mean the religion is mandatory.

Nobody said the religion was mandatory for the citizens.

The fact that the Crown is synonymous with the head of the Church, means that the state endorses that Church; ergo, Britain is a Christian, or to be precise, Anglican Protestant country.

It wasn't compulsory to be a member of the Communist Party in the USSR between 1917-1990; now, was the USSR between 1917-1990, a communist country ?

This really is simple.

That fact you can freely worship who you like, without fear or prejudice, highlights we are not a Christianity country or have a mandated religion.

Again, no-one claimed that you have to be a mandatory Christian. I don't where you get this bizarre notion from, for defining what a country's overall ideology and religion is, as dictated by the law.

Also, Prince Charles, if he becomes King, wants to be called defender of faiths. Plus, only Catholics are exempted from the Throne. Prince Charles, even the Queen, could convert to an Islam and it's fine within the Constitution.

I know that.

It's still going to be awkward for him, having a wife that's Catholic.

We are NOT a Christianity country.

No, but we are a Christian country.

edit on 10-9-2010 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Parallex is right. Please listen to him, he does understand the constitution - unlike you.

We are no longer subjects of the Crown. By the Bill of Rights and other Acts, we are citizens of the United Kingdom and no longer property of the Crown.

No, Parallex is wrong.

Once again, I invite you to declare your house and land a sovereign nation, not under the laws of the UK, and see how far that gets you.

Come back to me on that one.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by infinite

Do not take historical dates with me, no one in this country has a Constitutional bill off rights, You can take your document to the highest, court in the UK. If it does not satisfy the Esablishment. Then it is ruled agangst. Then what do you have nothing...

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

It does and has been used in 1993.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   

It does and has been used in 1993.

In what way ?

You're going to have to elaborate on this one.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join