It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Not atheist, not religious: Typical Briton is a 'fuzzy believer'

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
If the Brits are losing faith in god the queen an royal family should be cast into the grinder with the rest of us. Divine right? Where's MY slice?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I thinkj parallex is troll'ing with these kinds of threads.

I;ve seen a few of his other threads that were shut down due to troll'ing.
]
Another irrelevant thread. Everything is as it is and if you don't like it tuff.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Parallex

"Religion needs to be stopped".....

We are not talking about the Spanish inquisition here..... Give me a break....

Your take on this is for all intents and purposes laughable. You make Christianity sound like some sort of Boogey man in your closet...

Perhaps it's not religion but rather the misuse thereof or maybe it's just a lack of tolerance or ignorance on the subject. Christianity is not a weapon even though many people use it as one. Most Christians are impostors.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

And then when I get into debates with them and crush them intellectually they start to question they're own doubt.

That was good for a laugh.

Someone would have to be a pretty astoundingly unintellectual atheist to lose any kind of debate with a theist ever, let alone get crushed. So either you've never found an adequately smart atheist (which I doubt) or you just crushed them by YOUR standards.

As for Britons I'm glad to hear they're more skeptical than those here in the USA. Honestly I'm bothered by how religious everyone seems here and while I know there are fundamentalists in other countries I'm sure they don't exist in equal numbers to how things are in the states.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Parallex

Britain needs to become UNFUZZY. And quickly. Religion needs to be stopped.

Do you mean all religions or Christianity in particular?

Someone in this thread suggested that Paganism is replacing Christianity, rather than Britain losing religion altogether. But, Parallex, do you agree that religion is religion, and all have the same side-effects as perceived by you?

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull
As for Britons I'm glad to hear they're more skeptical than those here in the USA. Honestly I'm bothered by how religious everyone seems here and while I know there are fundamentalists in other countries I'm sure they don't exist in equal numbers to how things are in the states.

Religion also tends to be far less entwined with politics here.

I know in the USA there tends to be a strong link between the right and Christianity.
That doesn't really happen so much in the UK, as the left/right difference is largely based on socio-economic factors, rather than religion.

edit on 10-9-2010 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

That was good for a laugh.

Someone would have to be a pretty astoundingly unintellectual atheist to lose any kind of debate with a theist ever, let alone get crushed. So either you've never found an adequately smart atheist (which I doubt) or you just crushed them by YOUR standards.

actually the atheists I have debated have been college professors, engineers, philosophy students from Uni and so forth. I find the more credentials the atheist has the bigger the ego and the harder the fall. Then the crushing begins.

I usually just bring in arguments from Peter Kingsley, Socratic method, Empedecles, Plato, Logic & reason themselves that prove logic and reason are limited, and life experience simple as that.

They usually wine and cry about all of that which in that case I bring along a friend who has experienced God and then compare life experience between the two proving to the Atheist that he himself has not looked within the realms that the experiencer of God has.

Its actually quite easy and I have under belt converted quite a few atheists to become theists or at least agnostics as atheism is quite illogical once you bring in all the methods to the debate I mentioned above.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   

But to be back on topic, yeah most Brits that I know are skeptics or atheists. And then when I get into debates with them and crush them intellectually

Hm, hearing (reading) this type of arrogance and ego masturbation do I take it you are one of the "True Christian " types ?

What exactly did your belief have on offer that was so much better to warrant the skeptics and atheists you know to bow down to your will ?

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes

Declare your house and the land you own a sovereign state, and not subject to the laws of the UK, and see how far you get.

Then come back to me, and repeat what you've just said.

If you actually knew what you were talking about, you'd know all about LAWFUL REBELLION. (Written here in the language of LEGALESE.)

A right granted to us under Magna Charter, that allows any citizen of the UK, that does not wish to submit to sovereign rule - to have life, liberty and hold property rights, without being subject to the crown's laws in LEGALITY (Different to common law). I know of people who have enacted this right. These people, along with myself, can filibuster ANY maritime admiralty law based court on land - it's a joy to watch.

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes
France is a secular country, the USA is secular country, because they prohibit the mixing of Church and State.

The Head of State of The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is one, and the same, as the head of the country's Christian church; ergo, Britain is a Christian country.

You are arguing a technicality here. Technically, old Lizzy is indeed the head of state. But the monarch has not been IN CHARGE for hundreds of years. Why do you think the Queen's henchman has to knock on the door to parliament to be allowed entry at the convening of parliament? When permitted entry, she is being subjected to the people's jurisdiction. The people RULE her. Give it up.

Parallex.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

Christianity is not a weapon even though many people use it as one. Most Christians are impostors

Christianity certainly is a weapon, these days used most commonly upon the uneducated,ignorant , poor and desperate by the arrogant, bigoted , self righteous and deluded.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by dominicus
I thinkj parallex is troll'ing with these kinds of threads.

I;ve seen a few of his other threads that were shut down due to troll'ing.
]
Another irrelevant thread. Everything is as it is and if you don't like it tuff.

What a kind, and generous post! Really, I feel the need to hug you. But then you'd probably try and exorcise me for having the 'gay' demon inside me. If you want to think I'm gay by this comment, I don't care - as long as it gets up your Christian nose.

Yes indeed, some of my other threads HAVE been shut down due to trolling. But we wonder - WHO exactly was doing the trolling? And why did their name sound like Domestos?

Parallex.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by dominicus
easy and I have under belt converted quite a few atheists to become theists or at least agnostics as atheism is quite illogical once you bring in all the methods to the debate I mentioned above.

You're the sort of person, that causes me to have to do what I do. Victims of religious and psychological abuse come to me, and tell me ALL about the sort of things that people like you do to them. I hope you have a GREAT day now ya hear me? Keep on keeping on.

Parallex.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

Yes, the monarch is the head of state and the church of England, but i don't follow your logic.

Are you saying that simply because the monarch, our Queen Liz claims to be Christian, that automatically makes all of the population of the UK Christian?

It doesn't work like that mate.

The Queen is welcome to beleive anything she wishes, as are anyone, but if she suddenly started worshiping a banana tree tomorrow, we wouldn't all be banana-ists would we!

The Queen may be the monarch of the UK, but her beliefs are her own, not mine.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Laurauk
reply to post by Parallex

No one has a bill of rights. Although we are pushing or them.

The Monarchy is still he head of state of the UK. And she is also the head of the prodestant church.

Which makes our country a Christisn Country, weither you like it or not...

Sorry Laura, see my above posts and you'll see why you're inaccurate here on your last point and your first point.

Parallex.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by The Djin

Hm, hearing (reading) this type of arrogance and ego masturbation do I take it you are one of the "True Christian " types ?

"arrogance" and "ego" is something you yourself are assumedly projecting onto what I stated as a fact from previous debates. In the case it seems it doesn't matter what I say because you seem to already have made up your subjectivity.

What exactly did your belief have on offer that was so much better to warrant the skeptics and atheists you know to bow down to your will ?

nobody is bowing to mine nor anyone else's will ...the only thing thats being done is showing others that any stance is relative where as the absolute truth is objective and non relative. With such philosophy being fact, any mans stance can very easily be destroyed.

What a kind, and generous post! Really, I feel the need to hug you. But then you'd probably try and exorcise me for having the 'gay' demon inside me. If you want to think I'm gay by this comment, I don't care - as long as it gets up your Christian nose.

dude honestly thats all you got? a profile pic of a gay jesus just to piss of Christians with Gay remarks? Ok are you like 10 years old. I dont have to exorcise anything from you and you don't get up my nose because I know that you don't know yourself, you don't understand the mechanics of your own ego, personality, how you function, where the soul is or what absolute truth means. So in that ignorance what did Jesus say, "Forgive them Father for they know not what they do" ...and so this is exactly the case.... your just creating another religion by bashing others and being Anti-Christ. You become the same as those you mock while the Absolute Truth stands on its own. ....so no biggie.

You're the sort of person, that causes me to have to do what I do. Victims of religious and psychological abuse come to me, and tell me ALL about the sort of things that people like you do to them. I hope you have a GREAT day now ya hear me? Keep on keeping on.

really? thats quite funny because those same victims of religious psychological abuse come to me for guidance and help as do many atheists. I've been in public debates at University settings and had Atheists debating me and then after the debate when everyone is gone, they have come up to me to ask more about Absolute Truth so that nobody can see that that they are asking. Its very humbling to experience this.

Religion has lost its way but the religion of atheism never had a way to begin with. 2 dead ends. The truth is in direct experience of Absolute Truth, those who have touched and tasted know, whereas everyone else simply argues assumptions.

Oh and F.Y.I. you'll never get rid of folks like me, nor will you ever get rid of fundies, zealots, atheists, gays, etc .....the purpose of existence is multiplicity and diversity. Have you reached the stage yet where you realize your battle is uphill and like Dawkins you will get nowhere with it?

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   

nobody is bowing to mine nor anyone else's will ...the only thing thats being done is showing others that any stance is relative where as the absolute truth is objective and non relative. With such philosophy being fact, any mans stance can very easily be destroyed.

So, these "Skeptics" and "atheists" that are no longer skeptics and atheists because you've presented them with your case which claim is absolute truth.

This has what to do with the invisible crucified man in the sky that Brits overwhelmingly reject exactly ?

If you are somehow claiming that these people are now christians then say so, how on earth you move from not believing the mythology of the bibles to accepting them as some portal to absolute truth is quite an achievement . I would love to hear their stories of how you guided them to the truth of the godman that never was..

Why is it do you think, that you were so successful at leading your atheist friends down the path of truth and enlightenment yet fail miserably when you attempt to engage in the same process here on ATS ?

Anyhow that's enough of the pseudo christianity trying to be philosophy nonsense, let's get back to the topic of how the brits are waking up from centuries of christian repression especially sexual repression. Giving the finger to the invisible man in the sky but many are still a bit fuzzy about it all .

It hurt like funking hell when someone roasts you to death for not wanting to partake in their delusion, now that is absolute truth perhaps Brits are still aware of this at a very deep level.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

I would think the tax funded KJAV or and correct me if I'm wrong, but a law about the Monarchy forever being Protestant/Anglican? is certainly two MAJOR "religious" pieces of evidence even if the people are or have become "fuzzy"-jus sayin

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Religion has lost its way but the religion of atheism never had a way to begin with

You don't half get up your own arse and talk bollocks, do you happen to have a degree in bollocks by any chance ? Atheism is a point of view how can not believing something even remotely equate to being a religion, atheism has no content nor dogma.

They really let you inside a university ? Christian funded ?

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by spikey

lol-if the violent beheading anti-bananists come-who is dispatched for protection? a divided bananist kingdom cannot stand

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Logic & reason themselves that prove logic and reason are limited

It's a big jump from: Logic and Reason are limited to: therefore there is a God. Of course logic and reason are limited, to suggest otherwise would be asinine. But they are certainly the best methods we have for determining what is real. Rational thinking trumps superstitious thinking every time.

himself has not looked within the realms that the experiencer of God has.

A personal anecdotal experience cannot be considered evidence to another individual. If it were the case that someone else's experience of God proved God than people's experiences of fairies, pixies, mermaids, elves, Zeus, Thor and ALIENS would all count as proof as well. Surely you don't believe in all that

By the way before I was an atheist I was a fundamentalist Christian... you might say I experienced God, I could even speak in tongues (in fact I still can).

Anyway I'd rather not derail the thread but I'd love to hear more of your arguments for God and I pray
that they are better than personal anecdotal stories about people "experiencing" God. Send me a U2U perhaps?

edit on 10-9-2010 by Titen-Sxull because: The reason for this edit has been deemed Above Top Secret

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join