It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

15 Ways Science Will Kill Us All

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   
brainz.org...
This is a really great article and I would like to share with my other members. Who said there were no mad scientist in the world?

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 12:45 AM
link   
You're trolling with that satire; I know it.

Critically comment on that you want me to on that collection of phear stereotypes promulgated by the Luddites, huh?

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by EnlightenUp

The satire yes! The warring of mass destruction and doom! No baby! The Earth and humanity needs saving and I'm the man for the job.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

Just think of what all those nanobots, accelerators, and cybernetically-enhanced monkey robots could do to all the Qurans out there. I'm sure if that were widely known in the Islamosphere, the outrage and threats of violent retaliation would put an end to it.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel
brainz.org...
This is a really great article and I would like to share with my other members. Who said there were no mad scientist in the world?

You right, particularly about LHC, Skynet, Geoengineering('Free' Energy is better than this), Blood-Powered battery, and Black Hole Power Plant

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Blood-powered battery = Electric vampires

Now it's making sense.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Why make a mockery of a serious subject?
Do you not believe that industrial chemicals are giving people cancer by the millions?
Isn't it SCIENCE that invents all our nifty war toys like nuclear bombs, predator drones and clusterbombs?
I would argue that science has become a religion among modern secular people. It performs every function that a religion does. We pin our hopes for the future on it thinking that we will invent our way to a brighter future, curing diseases and hunger, and bring prosperity to the people.
Look at the last 50 years. For all our cool gadgets the social divide between rich and poor has grown enormously, the militaristic governments of the world have established methods of killing and control beyond the dreams of Hitler and yet we think that the very thing that has enabled this to happen is the same thing that will save us.
Science could do wonders for humanity if only it were used with wisdom and restraint, something that cannot happen in a capitalistic society that resorts to war to solve international conflicts.
Science is still something made by man, subject to misuse and rarely looked at objectively in terms of how it affects human society, health or the environment.
Call me a Luddite, I consider it a compliment. They had the wisdom to know that they would lose their jobs and their way of life while making the machine owners all the richer. We don't even have the courage to fight back anymore even when we know that our livelihoods and communities will be destroyed.
Oooh, those Luddites! Poor ignorant peasants!

Blind faith in anything is an invitation to disaster.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Romantic_Rebel,

Golly, some of the important ones where missed but the whole thing would make a list so long it would be tiring to read but should add the food supply, GMO, Salmon and more in the flesh foods, corn, soybeans and more in the vegan foods. Those things are beginning to show up the ill that is very hazardous in more ways than one.

Need to lay out a Bible verse,

1Co 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, He taketh the wise in their own craftiness.

Food for Thought? Careful now what you eat but yes keep thinking and searching, For Truth.

Truthiron

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
Why make a mockery of a serious subject?
Do you not believe that industrial chemicals are giving people cancer by the millions?
Isn't it SCIENCE that invents all our nifty war toys like nuclear bombs, predator drones and clusterbombs?

No, that's the arms industry you're thinking of.

I would argue that science has become a religion among modern secular people. It performs every function that a religion does.

You need a new dictionary.

Science:

(from the Latin scientia, meaning "knowledge") is, in its broadest sense, any systematic knowledge that is capable of resulting in a correct prediction or reliable outcome. In this sense, science may refer to a highly skilled technique, technology, or practice.

Religion:

a strong belief in a supernatural power or powers that control human destiny;

We pin our hopes for the future on it thinking that we will invent our way to a brighter future, curing diseases and hunger, and bring prosperity to the people.

Agreed, science is certainly a good thing.

Look at the last 50 years. For all our cool gadgets the social divide between rich and poor has grown enormously, the militaristic governments of the world have established methods of killing and control beyond the dreams of Hitler and yet we think that the very thing that has enabled this to happen is the same thing that will save us.

This time you are getting scientific study confused with the politics and the arms industry.

Science could do wonders for humanity if only it were used with wisdom and restraint, something that cannot happen in a capitalistic society that resorts to war to solve international conflicts

Wow, this time you are getting science confused with politics and economics.

Science is still something made by man, subject to misuse and rarely looked at objectively in terms of how it affects human society, health or the environment.

Evidently. However, anything can be misused by man.

Call me a Luddite, I consider it a compliment. They had the wisdom to know that they would lose their jobs and their way of life while making the machine owners all the richer.

Ignorance is a compliment? Dunno about that. I do not follow the rest of the sentence though, care to clarify?

We don't even have the courage to fight back anymore even when we know that our livelihoods and communities will be destroyed.

Fight back at what? You've lost me, I thought you were discussing science (albeit a rather flexible and wildy inaccurate interpretation of).

Oooh, those Luddites! Poor ignorant peasants!

Blind faith in anything is an invitation to disaster.

Sorry, what does this have to do with science again?

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by john_bmth

You keep telling me that I'm confusing science and the military. Science is determined by who funds the research and what applications it will be allowed for.Over 50% of the University scientific research grants are funded by the DOD and other alphabet agencies.
The majority of research being done in Colleges and Universities today is for weapons or intelligence gathering.

Biological warfare and nanotechnology will be the undoing of humanity if we do not get control of certain forces in this world. They are busy creating the perfect tools to depopulate the planet and completely control those of us who are allowed to remain. That is IF you believe in the New World Order (and I do).

Science is beautiful and has brought us many of the best blessings of life and made our lives better, longer, safer and healthier. Seeking knowledge is a noble thing. My qualms with it are it's misapplication by those with evil intent who also happen to control most of the world's wealth. My fear is that by the time we realize en masse just what weapons and tools they have and their intent to use them on us it will be too late to even fight back.

Transhumanism is the religion that has been developed from science.

Also, are you saying that Luddites were ignorant?

edit on 10-9-2010 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-9-2010 by Asktheanimals because: to ask a question

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Don't forget antimatter weaponry and synthetic super pathogens.
I love me my synthetic super pathogen antimatter synthesizing harbringers of ultra doom... must have more doom. anyone know where I can buy doom lotion?

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   

This is pretty humorous stuff though I hesitate to take any of these as serious threats. I mean legitimate threats from science come mainly from stuff like Nuclear Weapons and biological warfare. Most of the stuff on this list isn't serious at all. I mean the augmented reality part, do they honestly believe a GPS or a Heads up Display (HUD) have the intelligence to rebel?

Maybe nanobots are a bad idea, a gray goo scenario is a slight possibility.

Certainly there are risks to science and lines that perhaps shouldn't be crossed but at the same time the benefits are immense, just look at our current life expectancy compared to a few centuries ago.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   
What about gene splicing

Remember the spider wasp from sliders

earthprime.com...:

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
reply to post by john_bmth

Science is beautiful and has brought us many of the best blessings of life and made our lives better, longer, safer and healthier. Seeking knowledge is a noble thing. My qualms with it are it's misapplication by those with evil intent who also happen to control most of the world's wealth. My fear is that by the time we realize en masse just what weapons and tools they have and their intent to use them on us it will be too late to even fight back.

You right, particularly about sciences like Alternative Energy(not so mediocre ones), alternative medicines, and any sciences outside mainstream sciences, but the problems is: scientists don't call anything outside mainstream sciences like more spiritual sciences and supernatural sciences 'science'

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by masonicon
...but the problems is: scientists don't call anything outside mainstream sciences like more spiritual sciences and supernatural sciences 'science'

There's a gap that must be crossed. What falls into "spiritual" or "supernatural" that at some point will be able to be properly threorized upon and investiged. A few geniuses will have to be born to extend the conceptual into the non-conceptual. What they do is take thoughts that confound us and leave us speechless because of their transcendent nature and present them in an organized way, just beyond the leading edge of knowledge, but not too far beyond it so that it remains well-anchored on prior breakthroughs.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
8,000 feet below South Dakota, a proposed laboratory is going to be set up which will look into the mysterious stuff known as Dark Matter. Organized by the Sanford Lab, it'll be up and running by 2016, and cost around $550 million to get going. I've played half-life. I've read science fiction. There is no possible freaking way this can go well. Super massive stuff that constitutes most of the galaxy, and that we barely understand? Lets play with it somewhere deep and scary, where Balrogs hang out. Nope, that's it, I quit. No more of this, science! There is not a single possible outcome from this that doesn't involve mass destruction. Crazy aliens, elder gods, warping space/time, mammoth explosions. And there is no way something as piddling as a 8,000 feet of earth will stop whatever they summon. It's official, we're all gonna die

this is my favorite paragraph and wooooooooooooooooooooooooot elder god doomy type thingy and oh yea that wont happen but...no not that either oh well maybey well find DOOMY! LOVE LOLOLOL

new topics

top topics

join